Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

He’s looking for lbs like Dylan Moses, Hightower, Mack Wilson, Reggie Ragland, CJ Mosley, Rashaan Evans

We don’t have any guys like that.

Then he should probably throw the kitchen sink at the 5 star LBs in the portal from Tennessee

4 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

That was the belief but he's put it to bed.. he wants to play football in college.

Right up until he smells that signing bonus.  Although to be honest, I haven't heard him mentioned as a sure-fire 1st round pick.  But those speculations will be heating up over the next couple of months.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Right up until he smells that signing bonus.  Although to be honest, I haven't heard him mentioned as a sure-fire 1st round pick.  But those speculations will be heating up over the next couple of months.

Pretty much top 5 or so rounds and a kid is gone. That being said all I’ve seen so far is discussion say top 2 rounds. My guess is he has already got a favorable draft grade and is slow playing football now for leverage. I would expect for him to commit to a dual sports school in the spring just in case, but would bet he is going early enough in the MLB draft for it to be meaningless 

7 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

Why does a head football coach take an off the field position in college? I imagine the pay is much better.

new opportunity, springboard to on field role, more money, wants texas back, ect he wasn't the AD at Lancaster their girls T&F program ism one of the best in the country

interesting thing is that he won't be the only director of HS relations wonder if we will hire a national guy too

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He won't. SC is making a big Texas push with that Herman Lite staff.

Not sure how great their return will be considering A&M, Texas, and OU will be knife fighting over most of the coveted prospects, with Bama, Ohio State, and Georgia cherry picking here and their; they'll seemingly be fighting with the TCU, Okie State, and Baylor types for scraps. Surely they'd have better luck recruiting against the west coast competition for west coast kids?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Not sure how great their return will be considering A&M, Texas, and OU will be knife fighting over most of the coveted prospects, with Bama, Ohio State, and Georgia cherry picking here and their; they'll seemingly be fighting with the TCU, Okie State, and Baylor types for scraps. Surely they'd have better luck recruiting against the west coast competition for west coast kids?

Return wont matter initially. He just got hired in a big job and will want to pay dividends immediately and show his worth. One of the only ways to do that will be to land some Texas kids using his previous relationships. So he’s gonna try, for sure. Perhaps he shouldn’t have taken the last year off work here, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I love that Helton is so unpopular in California that sc is worried about needing to expand national recruiting, so they choose Texas as a target. If any market is just sitting there available and waiting to be conquered by Clay Helton and Todd Orlando, it's Texas.

Especially considering Sark is fairly respected on the west coast and should play a part in pillaging sc's back yard.

Bold strategy, cotton.

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I love that Helton is so unpopular in California that sc is worried about needing to expand national recruiting, so they choose Texas as a target. If any market is just sitting there available and waiting to be conquered by Clay Helton and Todd Orlando, it's Texas.

Especially considering Sark is fairly respected on the west coast and should play a part in pillaging sc's back yard.

Bold strategy, cotton.

They did fine in SoCal recruiting this year. They just have a bunch of Texans on staff, so why not try and capitalize?

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They did fine in SoCal recruiting this year. They just have a bunch of Texans on staff, so why not try and capitalize?

Makes sense. I'm fine trading any of the Ohio State/Bama instate recruits for some of the California kids. We know anybody leaning aggy is probably not going to be interested in SC. 

Edited by Bevo14

47 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Bold strategy, cotton.

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, Bill’s completely misstating the situation. USC had the #8 class in the country and landed 4 of the top 10 in-state. They’re hiring Carrington because he’s a good recruiter, not because they’re abandoning CA to focus on recruiting Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Marshall Malchow started out as a GA at Bama before getting hired by Petersen heading to UW as an asst Director of Player personnel.  He then was hired to the main job at UGA the last few years and now aTm just stole him in January.  I'd say he fits the bill.  Maybe coach Pete has a connection.  Make those peasants squirm and show some interest.  Its not like he's settled in.  Also why would aTm's last guy leave to Baylor?  Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, Bill’s completely misstating the situation. USC had the #8 class in the country and landed 4 of the top 10 in-state. They’re hiring Carrington because he’s a good recruiter, not because they’re abandoning CA to focus on recruiting Texas. 

Not entirely fair. Kids who would have chosen to leave the state may not have had an opportunity to make visits this cycle and stayed home. They also didn't have a hs season, so SC benefitted from not having to fend off competition for guys that may have been late risers. We all loved Smith, Bullock, and Wright when we offered and they all ended up at SC.

Their class is 13/23 California and 4 from Texas. Then add Ingram, Nixon, and Alford, and now you're looking at 8 guys from Texas High Schools in this class. I do believe Carrington is an effort to bring on a great recruiter (as you said), but also to work Texas for the high 3/low 4 guys like McCree, Campbell, and even Manjack and Buchanan. The latter of whom likely outplays his rating. Carrington's coach relationships will allow them to use Texas as an extension of pipeline. I don't think he'll be successful poaching whales, but he'll land plenty of underranked class fillers. Locally, those guys have gone to Washington/Oregon in recent memory. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting