Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Outside of Travell Johnson, I'm not sute if we lead for anybody currently at DL/LB.  I think Bo can get Ross from NS, and maybe Coach K zeroes in on Wesolak, but I guess we'll see.  Hopefully things are more clear in a few months.  Will be interesting to see who Choate/K go after for LB.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

43 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Outside of Travell Johnson, I'm not sute if we lead for anybody currently at DL/LB.  I think Bo can get Ross from NS, and maybe Coach K zeroes in on Wesolak, but I guess we'll see.  Hopefully things are more clear in a few months.  Will be interesting to see who Choate/K go after for LB.

Oos or maybe this kid from judson 

https://247sports.com/Player/Treylin-Payne-46094021/

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I hope so. We’re not in a great spot for the in-state elites and we can’t afford to wait and miss then fall back in subpar in-state options. 

Not to mention the in-state elites list is pretty short.  Sylla (not happening), Abor (doubtful atm), and Cooper (same as Abor).  That's pretty much it right now.

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So what do y'all project the target numbers are broken down by position for this 2022 recruiting class ??      Maybe...

• 5   OL
  • 1   TE
  • 4   WR
  • 2   RB
  • 1   QB
  • 4   DL
  • 3   LB
  • 5   DB

Total   25

Seems like it'll be a big class if they can get guys they like. Dunno what I'd add to your list, though. Maybe 1 more each of OL, WR, and DL?

33 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Seems like it'll be a big class if they can get guys they like. Dunno what I'd add to your list, though. Maybe 1 more each of OL, WR, and DL?

There are 28 spots right now, although that could and probably will be lessened by transfers 

12 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I get why people point out PJ Locke as a connection, as it’s a fact. But are we sure it’s a positive in this instance? Luke Brockermeyer certainly didn’t help and Locke didn’t exactly play when texas was successful or without dysfunction. Hope he fucked a new sorority girl every week and loves his degree. 

You should change your avatar to a gif of Debbie Downer angrily buttfucking Bevo with a strap-on. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not to mention the in-state elites list is pretty short.  Sylla (not happening), Abor (doubtful atm), and Cooper (same as Abor).  That's pretty much it right now.

Is your “atm” supposed to mean “at the moment “ or are you projecting Abor to ATM? Seems like a poor use “at the moment”, given, you know, the nature of what is discussed on this forum. Or you’re worried about the wrong schools for Abor. It’s a bust either way. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is your “atm” supposed to mean “at the moment “ or are you projecting Abor to ATM? Seems like a poor use “at the moment”, given, you know, the nature of what is discussed on this forum. Or you’re worried about the wrong schools for Abor. It’s a bust either way. 

Ass to mouth aka, the futureman

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

spacer.png

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is truly horrific. 

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, after I made it and saw the complete version I thought......eesh. I don't like this at all. 

This was the vision in my head and I think it is how we all feel the minute we see SydneyCarton’s handle. Well done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Nick Harris: Evan Stewart slowing down recruitment as 7-on-7 season gets underway

CARROLLTON, Texas — For Frisco Liberty four-star wide receiver Evan Stewart, going viral on social media is daily work.

Having already amassed a TikTok and Instagram following that totals in the millions, Stewart has seen his popularity rise as his play on the field becomes stronger. As a result, after putting out a tweet in January indicating that his recruitment was closed down, his phone blew up with messages from colleges and fans trying to see where he would be taking his talents. The messages overwhelmed Stewart enough to delete the tweet and just take a step back from the recruiting process for the time-being.

"A lot went on that week," Stewart said. "It just wasn't the right time, so I just shut it down. I'm gonna think about it a little bit more. I haven't really been talking to anybody right now, they've been talking to my parents." For Texas, wide receivers coach Andre Coleman has taken over a recruitment that was mainly handled by Jay Valai under the previous staff, and Coleman has made a good impression on Stewart and his family. "He's a cool dude," he said. "He's very laid back, he's relaxed and he knows what he's doing."

In looking at his options, Stewart is prioritizing the schools that have solid academic programs along with a rapport of development at the receiver position. Stewart hopes to get out and see his top options with the NCAA dead period possibly getting lifted after April 15, but if they don't, a commitment could come soon. "I'm kinda waiting for them to open visits," he said. "But if they say they're not gonna open visits then it's probably gonna be soon."

Stewart is back on the 7-on-7 circuit this spring with DFW-based Team Flex as they debuted their 2021 team at Carrollton's Pylon Dallas this past week. "My junior season could have been better, in my opinion," he said. "So out here I'm just trying to improve on my route work and getting out of my breaks faster." Florida, Alabama, Georgia and Texas were mentioned as schools recruiting Stewart the hardest at this point. Oregon is also a heavy contender. At 6-foot-0, 175 pounds, Stewart is the No. 40 recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 5 wide receiver in the country and the No. 8 recruit in the state of Texas.

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So what do y'all project the target numbers are broken down by position for this 2022 recruiting class ??      Maybe...

• 5   OL
  • 1   TE
  • 4   WR 3
  • 2   RB
  • 1   QB
  • 4   DL 5
  • 3   LB
  • 5   DB

Total   25

Another DL instead of WR. These transfers are not a longterm solution, but it'll also be interesting to see who plays where in the spring. 

The extended Covid scholarship year is also gonna make things interesting because it really loosens numbers.  We could see a really big class.

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The extended Covid scholarship year is also gonna make things interesting because it really loosens numbers.  We could see a really big class.

Care to explain how the extended covid scholarship year loosens numbers to help create a really big class in 2022? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

spacer.png

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is truly horrific. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This was the vision in my head and I think it is how we all feel the minute we see SydneyCarton’s handle. Well done. 

Shall I change it for him? LOL

• Haha 2

Yeah I see what you mean.  You don't have to worry about who might take a 5th year for next year and we have room for a big class already.

I.E. Casey Thompson has 3 years of eligibilty remaining, but doesn't count towards the 85 cap if he takes the extra year, so in a sense the 2023 class has an extra scholarship if he opts to stay.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

Care to explain how the extended covid scholarship year loosens numbers to help create a really big class in 2022? 

See above, but there's up to 10 5th-year scholarships that won't count towards the 85 limit.

We are at 82+9 currently.

Could be 85 + 10 next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

That actually sucks for recruiting numbers then.

There are several articles floating around about how high schoolers are getting screwed in this class and the next because of less roster space, be it due to more 25 man counters being used for transfers, or less space on the 85 man due to everyone getting an extra year year

I think Texas will be able to use all 28 spots (or fewer if some more transfers are brought in this year) next year though 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

There are several articles floating around about how high schoolers are getting screwed in this class and the next because of less roster space, be it due to more 25 man counters being used for transfers, or less space on the 85 man due to everyone getting an extra year year

I think Texas will be able to use all 28 spots (or fewer if some more transfers are brought in this year) next year though 

Law of unintended consequences. Fewer kids are going to get scholarships to P5 schools if the schools know they can cherry pick transfers that don't have to sit out a year. This thing is going to get worse too, not better. Why would you take a flyer on a borderline HS prospect late in the cycle when you can fill an immediate need from the portal?

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Law of unintended consequences. Fewer kids are going to get scholarships to P5 schools if the schools know they can cherry pick transfers that don't have to sit out a year. This thing is going to get worse too, not better. Why would you take a flyer on a borderline HS prospect late in the cycle when you can fill an immediate need from the portal?

A lot of transfers are one and done types so schools can’t take too many of them otherwise they’ll thin out their roster. The transfers will definitely lead to less HS scholarships, but there’s a cap on how much more it can impact them. 

36 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Image result for this business will get out of hand gif red october

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

A lot of transfers are one and done types so schools can’t take too many of them otherwise they’ll thin out their roster. The transfers will definitely lead to less HS scholarships, but there’s a cap on how much more it can impact them. 

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out long term. You get attrition every year regardless from grades, injury, legal issues, early draft entry, homesickness, etc. Or maybe they just don't ever pan out and contribute meaningfully. You also have young guys on your bench that don't contribute until their upperclassmen seasons. What value are you getting out of them while they redshirt or otherwise don't see the field? A guy who rides the pine for three years and then doesn't play until he's a junior or senior is essentially a one (or two) and done, except he's been taking up a roster spot/scholarship for three years. What's the difference? At least with a transfer and especially one with a P5 track record, your odds of him busting are greatly reduced.

I'm not advocating 10+ transfers a year or anything, but holding back a decent chunk of your scholarship allotment for transfers seems like a smart move these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What value are you getting out of them while they redshirt or otherwise don't see the field? A guy who rides the pine for three years and then doesn't play until he's a junior or senior is essentially a one (or two) and done, except he's been taking up a roster spot/scholarship for three years. What's the difference? At least with a transfer and especially one with a P5 track record, your odds of him busting are greatly reduced.

Culture and camaraderie. I know there are examples of one-and-dones adding to the culture and guys who have come up in a system quitting but I think the optimum example is Clemson. They simply don't have the numbers of guys coming and going (ie. the portal) so while there may not be a notable impact to your team on the field during those 2-3 years there is buy-in level and a tighter friendship bond with other players, assuming you have this championship culture in place.  

It's probably a thing of the past in the portal age as you'll see more and more rentals like Sermon. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting