Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Platitudes and cliches can irritate me as much as the next guy, but the ball just looks different coming out of Murphy’s hand. 

if this kid had half the personality and IQ 995ers say, than it’s hard not be be content if not downright excited by this development. His stats are a concern, but he has all the tools and seems like he’d generate plenty of excitement when he gets in front of Texas kids. I’d be shocked if he remains a 5 star because he hasn’t played, but we’ll see. He looks like he’ll end up at 6’5 or 6’6 250 in college. Fuck yeah. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Sour grapes coming from a UCLA fan is the least surprising thing ever.  Their fan base is the biggest bunch of whiny bitches on the west coast.  Somehow think their Wooden era basketball cheating glory makes them relevant in football.

And Chuck Muncie should’ve curb stomped Archie Griffin in Griffins 2nd win.  Muncie was an absolute fuck beast that year.  Totally dominant.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. You touch on a fun subject for me, but probably a distraction on this thread, unless we want to get to 1000. 

Who is the worst Heisman winner since WW2? It’s hard to beat Paul Hornung. Nevermind his pro career. It was fucking rigged for Notre Dame. Outside of that fuckjob, there is some other good bullshit. Gino fucking Torretta. Troy fucking Smith. Jason fucking White. One of Archie Griffin’s two years. 

For me, Torretta is the worst followed by Griffin’s 2nd. Smith is a top 5-er though. 

This reminds me of a post I did on the old site of players who won from like 1990 to current at the time and who should have won.

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Platitudes and cliches can irritate me as much as the next guy, but the ball just looks different coming out of Murphy’s hand. 

if this kid had half the personality and IQ 995ers say, than it’s hard not be be content if not downright excited by this development. His stats are a concern, but he has all the tools and seems like he’d generate plenty of excitement when he gets in front of Texas kids. I’d be shocked if he remains a 5 star because he hasn’t played, but we’ll see. He looks like he’ll end up at 6’5 or 6’6 250 in college. Fuck yeah. 

Prototypical size and our coach who is known for developing. In the past a take like him would scare me because it would either be boom or bust but I think going forward in terms of QB development we can achieve the level of good to bust with some of these guys like Murphy.

7 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Eric Crouch won a Heisnan after throwing more interceptions than touchdowns. It’s hard to think of a worse winner than him. 

Paul Hornung won the Heisman after throwing 3 TDs and 13 interceptions for a 2-8 Notre Dame team. I guess his 42 yards rushing per game put him over the top.

They gave him that award over Johnny Majors who went undefeated as the Tennessee QB with more rushing yards than Hornung and more TD passes and less interceptions.

And over Jim freaking Brown, because voters refused to reward black players back then.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

If you're wondering why USC hasn't pursued Murphy (or the IMG Academy QB from California), they landed two high 4* QBs in 2021 and are all in on 5* Malaki Nelson for 2023 (as is OU, and maybe others who don't think they'll get Arch Manning), so they already took a 3* program depth type of QB commitment for 2022 as a sandwich QB, similar to what Clemson does 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Same here. If I remember correctly I saw the same when watching Fields and Lawrence coming out of high school. Those dudes throws just look different. 

I’ve seen 3 separate analysts praise his leadership, personality, etc. The Ewers/errbody dream might be dead, but it feels like we’d be just fine with Murphy as the leader of our class.

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Don’t forget he beat out Larry Fucking Fitzgerald for the award, literally the best college receiver I’ve ever seen

I was at that Agger v Pitt game back in 2003 or 2004 (the one in college station). Completely agree with you. Was in awe watching that kid play that day. Think he had like 3 effortless TDs or something like that. Was fucking a chick who went there at the time and I remember after the game a bunch of drunk conversations by their fans trying to figure out if we had just seen a god tier once in a generation type talent or if their defense was just that bad. I argued it was both. 

• Fuck You 1

People have allegedly and bizarrely made an NIL argument to Stewart in a way designed to give pause to making Texas his choice. That’s a bold choice and I’m interested in seeing how it works out. He allegedly isn’t looking for some illicit payday when he projects to make way more on his own based on his already large follower volume and preternatural media savvy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

People have allegedly and bizarrely made an NIL argument to Stewart in a way designed to give pause to making Texas his choice. That’s a bold choice and I’m interested in seeing how it works out. He allegedly isn’t looking for some illicit payday when he projects to make way more on his own based on his already large follower volume and preternatural media savvy. 

Damn, I guess he's got Carl in his ear.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The only way I could see line of logic this possibly working is for him to drag out his recruitment and be very public with it to garner as many followers from the largest fan bases recruiting him. I don’t see how the NIL stuff once in rolled in the program could possible used against him signing with Texas.

2 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

The only way I could see line of logic this possibly working is for him to drag out his recruitment and be very public with it to garner as many followers from the largest fan bases recruiting him. I don’t see how the NIL stuff once in rolled in the program could possible used against him signing with Texas.

I don't think there's any immediate need for followers. Fan base follows are fickle and it's been alluded to that he's smart enough to know that game is not even really a value add in the short term for his brand, much less the long term. CTJ is right, NIL as a reason not to commit to Texas is bizarre

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Didnt we just learn that someone in the LJ recruitment managed to convince him NIL was a big advantage to going to aTm? Clearly there’s some message out there being used against us and we need to toss our biggest balls on the table and squash it. 

Correct. SEC SEC SEC and all that.

18 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I'm assuming taking Murphy leaves us with a real shot with Manning next year. For me I'd take Murphy and Manning > Ewers and a '23 JAG

I know everyone will be all over Arch Manning like they are Ewers, and count me in until I change my mind, but nevermind the concern about "helicopter dads" on this one. He's got a helicopter granddad, dad, and uncles. This dude will only be going somewhere in which he's all but assured of competing for the starting spot as a freshman, which really means they'll expect him to be starting as a freshman. If they come out soon and say otherwise, I'll be both surprised and pumped, because that could keep Texas in the running even if they land someone with high 4 or 5 stars.

I doubt these kids or their parents have any idea what the NIL stuff will actually mean. If I were recruiting against us, I would be trying to convince them that the real money will be in the exposure you get from playing in conference championships and playoff games.  

Also, social media fan engagement has gotta factor in somewhere and a kid like Stewart speaks that language. We are competitive in that space but not close to top dog. The numbers actually arent great for us if youre fighting for an absolutely elite kid that cares about that stuff. 

I'm sure our NIL pitch is excellent, but is it better than the current top recruiting dogs out there? Who knows. I think it's at least understandable how someone like Ewers' dad could look at the above numbers inside a recruiting pitch from the Ohio State staff, and buy into their argument that their program reloads while our program is trying to rebuild and that means they're a safer monetary bet for his son.

Edited by Barbacoa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I doubt these kids or their parents have any idea what the NIL stuff will actually mean. If I were recruiting against us, I would be trying to convince them that the real money will be in the exposure you get from playing in conference championships and playoff games.  

Also, social media fan engagement has gotta factor in somewhere and a kid like Stewart speaks that language. We are competitive in that space but not close to top dog. The numbers actually arent great for us if youre fighting for an absolutely elite kid that cares about that stuff. 

I'm sure our NIL pitch is excellent, but is it better than the current top recruiting dogs out there? Who knows. I think it's at least understandable how someone like Ewers' dad could look at the above numbers inside a recruiting pitch from the Ohio State staff, and buy into their argument that their program reloads while our program is trying to rebuild and that means they're a safer monetary bet for his son.

There's no other place that has more of a polarizing position at QB than the University of Texas.  I currently live in VA and everyone brings up Sam (or Tom) when we make small conversations about my Texas gear.  Good or bad, everyone knows Sam.

11 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I'm sure our NIL pitch is excellent, but is it better than the current top recruiting dogs out there? Who knows. I think it's at least understandable how someone like Ewer's dad could look at the above numbers inside a recruiting pitch from the Ohio State staff, and buy into their argument that their program reloads while our program is trying to rebuild and that means they're a safer monetary bet for his son.

Could there be a less representative month than January? Of course the 2 teams who played in the only meaningful games separated from the pack. I don't follow this shit, so maybe it looks the same Feb-Dec, but I doubt it.

Edited by TommyGufano
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

Could there be a less representative month than January? Of course the 2 teams who played in the only meaningful games separated from the pack. I don't follow this shit, so maybe it looks the same August-Dec, but I doubt it.

Yea keep in mind the coaches really dont know what the NIL will mean yet either. Its all smoke and mirrors, I'm just trying to come up with ways that they could use it against us. Those January numbers would demonstrate to recruits and their parents that playing in the playoff will make you money. 

16 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

that's just for the month of Jan, where the only teams above us were still playing games, and we were completely turning over a coaching staff and part of the support staff.

I wonder who is the one in charge to help the players on the team with the NIL..  Felt like BC was the one pushing it the most and had tweets/edits explaining why UT was the perfect place for it.  Big Tech companies relocating to Austin, SXSW and other music fests coming though every year, etc.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is the top dog in social media on an annualized basis, rivaled basically by Clemson. You took the single month in which 3 other teams played in the CFP and used it as a definitive premise, and that is incorrect. If you're going to take a position like that, do the work to verify it.

I'm not taking a position, I'm trying to demonstrate how a program like Bama or Ohio State could try to use the NIL against us. The whole thing is a grey area right now, so I could easily see piece-meal data like January's social media numbers being used to represent their NIL value over us. That's a strong image and these arent typically MBA students they're pitching to. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I wonder who is the one in charge to help the players on the team with the NIL..  Felt like BC was the one pushing it the most and had tweets/edits explaining why UT was the perfect place for it.  Big Tech companies relocating to Austin, SXSW and other music fests coming though every year, etc.

Sounds like a Director of Player Personnel would be real useful

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Gerry Hamilton: IT Recruiting Matters: Murphy/Cali recruiting, Citizen, Trevell and DL updates

Spoiler

The Texas staff has seemingly zeroed in on three quarterbacks in the class of 2022 in Ohio State verbal Quinn Ewers, strong-armed Maalik Murphy out of California, and Westlake's Cade Klubnik. With decision day getting closer at the position, Steve Sarkisian and staff are in a position to navigate the process and timeline.

In today’s Recruiting Matters, IT looks at the potential impact of Murphy on Texas, getting to know TreVonte’ Citizen, and the latest on defensive line recruiting.

Murphy about to pop?
Junipero Serra pocket passer Maalik Murphy is closing in on a decision as early as this weekend or early next week. The 6-foot-4.5, near 230-pounder has programs such as Oregon and UCLA under serious consideration along with Texas, but it’s the Longhorns offensive scheme under Steve Sarkisian that is likely to win out should Murphy beat the other QBs to the punch in the next few days.

Murphy’s recruitment has been slowed by not having a junior season on the field to date. He played in five games as a sophomore battling through injury and backing up a Group of 5 signee. Murphy completed 44.8% of his attempts (26 of 58) for 305 yards and no touchdowns with two interceptions.

Should Murphy pick Texas, the Longhorns staff will likely look to add Mater Dei wide receiver C.J. Williams and versatile ATH Larry Turner-Gooden into the fold out of California. The near 6-foot-2, 195-pound Williams is among the very best possession receiver prospects in the 2022 class with better short area quickness than speed, while Turner-Gooden is a terrific defensive back prospect that could also get a serious look at receiver. The 5-foot-11 Turner-Gooden has an exceptional wingspan at his height of 77-inches, along with a sub 4.2 laser shuttle.

Getting to know Citizen:
2022 Lake Charles (LA) College Prep RB TreVonte’ Citizen has quickly become one of the top targets for the offensive staff. The 6-foot-0, 215-pound back was offered by the Longhorns January 29, and now has Texas under serious consideration.

“Right now, I’m just taking my time and looking at the schools that have offered me,” said Citizen Tuesday night. “I don’t really have a top school right now, I’m just looking at my options. If I was to make a list of top schools, it would be LSU, Texas, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Colorado and Georgia Tech,”

Whether it’s the offer from Texas, the January 28 offer from Texas A&M, or any others, programs face the task of beating out the dream school from within the Boot.

“To be real, it was a dream of mine to play at LSU. As I’ve got older, I’m thinking about all my options and looking at recruiting and my decision as business,”

When talking about Texas, the powerful back with very good feet is learning more by the day.

“I like Texas. I like their program. I’m learning more about the program. Coach Stan Drayton and Coach Sarkisian said they like my game, my playing style, competitiveness, and talk about improving as a player and building on my talent,”

Citizen told IT that he currently plans to wait until his senior year to make decision, and admits that an offer from Alabama would change his recruitment.

The Pelican State back is currently in track season and will run the 100m, 200m, 400m, 4x100, and the 4x200 with goals of a 10.9 in 100m and a 22.0 in 200,.

His father played running back for McNeese.

Next to commit?
Arlington Martin linebacker Trevell Johnson will announce his decision on Saturday with a time TBD. The 6-foot-1, near 200-pound hard-hitting defender with the ability to call the defense had the Longhorns in the lead prior to the coaching change. The new Texas staff, behind the work of Bo Davis and Jeff Banks, have helped the Longhorns surge once again. This is a recruitment the staff has to close out, and should come the weekend.

Defensive line recruiting taking shape:
The Texas Longhorns most recent class of 2022 offer on the defensive line was EDGE prospect D.J. Wesolak out of Missouri.

If the Longhorns are to offer another out of state prospect on the line, it very well could be DE/T Tyre West out of Tift County. The Georgia verbal is a long shot, at best.

Inside the state, Texas continues to covet Georgia verbal Bear Alexander, Jaray Bledsoe, and Kristopher Ross at defensive tackle. Omari Abor and Ernest Cooper IV are the DEs high on the board.

Of the five in-state offers, IT can’t say that Texas has the lead in any of them, but is very much in the hunt. Alexander picked Georgia over Texas, Texas A&M and Ohio State. Bledsoe will have Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma and Alabama as the main players more than likely, and Ross has Texas and Oklahoma at the top. Abor is Ohio State over Oklahoma and Texas currently, while Cooper remains a Stanford lean.

The Longhorns have also evaluated DTs Jadon Scarlett and Tre Emory, and DE Michael Ibukun-Okeyode. This trio of prospects will be monitored.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

23 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Could there be a less representative month than January? Of course the 2 teams who played in the only meaningful games separated from the pack. I don't follow this shit, so maybe it looks the same Feb-Dec, but I doubt it.

I'm quoting these two, but in reality this is just a general comment on the NIL stuff. As other posters have mentioned, singling out January is a giant fucking mistake in the sample data. I can't pull it up, but we've all seen other various graphics and 3rd party data that pretty much show that Texas is still the top dog in the social shares arena, and all of the predictive mechanisms for the NIL stuff overall. I haven't read into the national brand/reach stuff like CTJ has, but that is pretty adjacent to his daily grind so if he says it, in this instance, I'd believe it. For the rest of us, you really don't have to go much further than common sense to see baseline foundation of why Texas is going to be able to pistol whip the competition unless we find a way to actively fuck ourselves in the ass with a fistful of dirty syringes.  Everyone here remembers the graphic we saw a year or two ago estimating that Ehlinger could have pulled in about 300k a year in endorsements with NIL stuff, right? 

It's a pretty easy equation. Austin is home to UT, it's the largest city in the United States without a major sports franchise, and it's a community that Bleeds Orange, but ALSO happens to quite flush with various tech and creative money. It's also spitting distance within 3 of the largest 10 cities in the United States, in a state that also happens to be football crazy. It's a popular hub with young people and tech savvy folks so the spread impact of leveraging social is great. Yada Yada Yada. I'm sorry, but Dell and Tesla and dozens upon dozens of other options create greater advertising opportunities and the fucking Dixie Chicken and a rural population in the I Don't Give A Fuck But It's Tiny range. No one else can offer that. 

The entire State of Nebraska fits the bill, but where is the money network? College Station I just addressed. Notre Dame has a different set of advantages that honestly operates somewhat independently of this, but ok. And that's before we even leverage brand exposure, national alumni network, international presence (I bet games being played internationally might become a bigger deal, give us those Chinese dollars). There is no place like Austin, period. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 5

I don't think anyone truly knows how the NIL stuff is going to evolve.  But I'm sure Alabama was at the forefront of it like everything else.  If Sark was truly in training there under the wing of Saban, then I think that plays to our advantage as he should know how to sell it as well as anyone else in the country.

So I know I’m projecting a little bit here, but perhaps the argument being made to someone like Stewart is maybe that since he already has 1m+ followers on TikTok, the way he’ll probably grow his brand is less from football fan interactions on Twitter and more from just access to great content opportunities found in big cities with lots of potential collaborators.

In my mind, the only place superior to Austin in terms of a blue blood football program plus a great city would potentially be the LA area? Austin has a pretty high concentration of social media influencers, and I think both TikTok (potentially) and Twitch (confirmed) are considering expanding their office support (and by extension opportunities for their content creators), but LA and California in general has an insane concentration of influencers and social media platform support.

I think the only school this sort of pitch would work for is probably USC and it could potentially work for UCLA down the line. From my knowledge of his recruitment, it doesn’t seem like USC was a part of his thinking, but with Carrington moving there you never know?

If it’s literally any other school pitching him this then I’m not sure it makes sense at all.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Texas has been at the leading edge of the entire NIL movement with LEVERAGE and the associated programs, well in front of almost everyone including Alabama. This (LJJ and the current talk) is simply the outcome of an unforced error on Texas' part. When you are fighting with one hand tied behind your back for weeks at a time you are going to take damage. The lack of movement in front officer personnel has fallout, and this is it. 

Texas NIL impact FAAARRRRRRR outpaces anything that aggy can put together in Lit Station (even with ESS EEE CEE). The fact that they haven't articulated that properly falls squarely on the coaching staff, exacerbated by the lack of front office personnel. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting