Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

29 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

I don't think anyone truly knows how the NIL stuff is going to evolve.  But I'm sure Alabama was at the forefront of it like everything else.  If Sark was truly in training there under the wing of Saban, then I think that plays to our advantage as he should know how to sell it as well as anyone else in the country.

Why? Because they know how to win games?  

1 minute ago, RollLeft said:

Why? Because they know how to win games?  

Because they use their money and resources appropriately.  They have more staff than just about anyone, particularly behind the scenes.  Sounds like they have some of if not the best sports medicine people, nutrition people, you name it.  Saban is an extremely detail oriented prick who leaves no stone unturned and demands and gets the most out of his staff.   I would imagine that he has had a team of qualified people researching how to best take advantage of something like this for quite some time.  Carrington maybe did a good job of getting ahead of this, but I very much doubt Herman or the coaches had any interest in really learning about it, much less selling it.  I bet Saban knows more about it right now than most coaches will 5 years from now.

People have allegedly and bizarrely made an NIL argument to Stewart in a way designed to give pause to making Texas his choice. That’s a bold choice and I’m interested in seeing how it works out. He allegedly isn’t looking for some illicit payday when he projects to make way more on his own based on his already large follower volume and preternatural media savvy. 

How this ever became a thing is mind bottling. The wealthiest program in the country, the flagship of school of Texas, one of the most powerful alumni bases, our own network, and someone honestly tries to make the argument that our NIL program won’t be one of if not the most lucrative in the country is out of their gotdamn minds.
  • Like 1

Could there be a less representative month than January? Of course the 2 teams who played in the only meaningful games separated from the pack. I don't follow this shit, so maybe it looks the same Feb-Dec, but I doubt it.

No shit. I think the last time I saw one of these reports, we were in the number one spot for overall interactions. I don’t know if that was on one platform or all of them like this graphic is though.

8 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

How this ever became a thing is mind bottling. The wealthiest program in the country, the flagship of school of Texas, one of the most powerful alumni bases, our own network, and someone honestly tries to make the argument that our NIL program won’t be one of if not the most lucrative in the country is out of their gotdamn minds.

Whats mind bottling is why you're surprised other staffs are trying to diminish the natural advantage we have with this stuff. Its called recruiting. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zhorn96 said:

Sour grapes coming from a UCLA fan is the least surprising thing ever.  Their fan base is the biggest bunch of whiny bitches on the west coast.  Somehow think their Wooden era basketball cheating glory makes them relevant in football.

And Chuck Muncie should’ve curb stomped Archie Griffin in Griffins 2nd win.  Muncie was an absolute fuck beast that year.  Totally dominant.

Now that is really saying something. 

25 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Whats mind bottling is why you're surprised other staffs are trying to diminish the natural advantage we have with this stuff. Its called recruiting. 

This.

We have a multitude of built in advantages,  but we haven't shown the ability to take full advantage of them.  

I don't think we have used LHN to its full capabilities. If Alabama had the same deal with ESPN,  I bet it would look a lot different than LHN.  

Hell,  it took Turtle Tom to get our facilities up to date.

I have my doubts that CDC is going to be able to get on the cutting edge of NIL and make Texas what it should be.

Eric Nahlin: Thoughts on Maalik Murphy and 2022 QB recruiting

Spoiler

I asked Gerry for help on the title and he responded with Statue of Limitations and Sark, you made your (Murphy) bed, now lie in it, but I’ll just go with my own, less creative title.

I’ll offer a little mix of opinion and info to help guide the discussion.

Murphy the prospect: Anyone with firm convictions on Maalik’s ability is fooling themselves. The appeal to authority fallacy with Sarkisian is one thing, but appealing to premature recruiting network ratings is borderline insulting, unless you think Cade Klubnik is the top player in the state because someone said so.

Murphy has a big arm, and there’s evidence of him getting the ball up and out quickly in some clips. There’s also evidence of him getting it out not so quickly. What happens in game settings when he’s forced to speed things up? Do mechanics break down? Does he force the ball into coverage or impossible windows? Does he take sacks by not feeling pocket pressure?

In camp settings his mechanics are pretty solid and by all accounts he’s coachable, but some of the raw materials are going to be difficult to fix — namely quickness and mobility within the pocket. He’s going to present a big target back there for defensive linemen to tee off on. This is not an athletic quarterback — he’s a throwback. If he’s Carson Palmer-lite, it will work.

The arm is tantalizing. He can spray the field which will be enhanced if they add difference-making speed at receiver.

Overlap with the Ewers pitch: We know the pitch to Ewers is an NFL dropback passing game with a complementary running game that removes the need for the QB to use his legs. That’s absolutely the right pitch for Ewers, and Murphy as well. Whispers: Murphy’s not as athletic or as quick as Ewers.

When looking at it from this angle, it’s easy to see why the staff would prioritize Murphy over Klubnik. The Westlake state champ isn’t the passing prospect of Ewers or Murphy. One of Klubnik’s greatest assets is his athleticism and ability to create off-schedule. Sark believes he can keep prototypical passers on-schedule.

Essentially, Sark could be thinking, “this the passing game we’re building, who fits it?” You take Murphy over Klubnik in the downfield passing example.

I do have some questions on Murphy in the RPO game, but again, that’s where lack of film really hurts. Maybe he’s great at it, I just have my concerns because it requires quick actions and not just with the arm.

Recruiting impact: My opinion is Sarkisian will recruit very well this cycle whether it’s Ewers, Klubnik, or Murphy atop the class. Obviously Ewers would provide the greatest impact but you can’t sit back and wait forever for him.

Murphy would open up doors to California which has to be seductive to Sarkisian. California should be seen as secondary recruiting territory regardless of who the coach is, but Sark has the ability to create a sustainable one-way street between the two regions.

Klubnik would recruit well as he commands the respect of his classmates.

If Murphy is a neutral or positive impact on landing guys like Evan Stewart and Brenen Thompson it makes the decision to take him all the easier.

Roster considerations: All four quarterbacks on the roster combined (I’m counting Cole Lourd) present a reasonable floor at the position for the coming years, especially for the guy who helped turn Mac Jones into a stud. Now would be the time you take a player with greater risk, and Murphy does pose risks because of lack of tape and mobility in the pocket.

If they sign Murphy, and only Murphy, Sark and Milwee will have plenty of time to find the next QB who should check all the boxes. The march to Arch, imo.

Ewers: Ewers has known Sarkisian for well over a year. There was a time where Alabama was right in the thick of things for him. That means he’s well past the introductory stage with Sarkisian, so there could be a sense with Sark that he’s burning daylight. Sark could be thinking, “I’m at your dream school and just bested Ryan Day on the chalkboard, what more do you want?”

Closing: Taking Murphy is certainly defensible, especially given his fit in what is the Ewers sell, but he doesn’t come without risks and his recruiting ranking is virtually meaningless. Sark’s interest is a meaningful data point. However, there are reasons Murphy makes sense that don’t necessarily point to Sark believing he’s an elite prospect, and Sark spent the last year pursuing Ewers rather than Murphy for reasons that should be obvious.

Postscript: When I say we’ll find out a lot about Sark in the coming weeks, I mean we’ll learn how good his ability is to read and guide a situation as difficult and important as this.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I've seen Arch Manning casually mentioned on here for weeks. Is there ANY connection at all between the Manning family and Texas or Sark? The idea that Texas would be a player for him seems completely out of left field to me.

There's a connection from his time at Bama and Sark is the hottest name in college QB coaching right now

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

I asked Gerry for help on the title and he responded with Statue of Limitations and Sark, you made your (Murphy) bed, now lie in it, but I’ll just go with my own, less creative title.

Murphy the prospect: Anyone with firm convictions on Maalik’s ability is fooling themselves. The appeal to authority fallacy with Sarkisian is one thing, but appealing to premature recruiting network ratings is borderline insulting, unless you think Cade Klubnik is the top player in the state because someone said so.

Murphy has a big arm, and there’s evidence of him getting the ball up and out quickly in some clips. There’s also evidence of him getting it out not so quickly. What happens in game settings when he’s forced to speed things up? Do mechanics break down? Does he force the ball into coverage or impossible windows? Does he take sacks by not feeling pocket pressure?

In camp settings his mechanics are pretty solid and by all accounts he’s coachable, but some of the raw materials are going to be difficult to fix — namely quickness and mobility within the pocket. He’s going to present a big target back there for defensive linemen to tee off on. This is not an athletic quarterback — he’s a throwback. If he’s Carson Palmer-lite, it will work.

The arm is tantalizing. He can spray the field which will be enhanced if they add difference-making speed at receiver.

Overlap with the Ewers pitch: We know the pitch to Ewers is an NFL dropback passing game with a complementary running game that removes the need for the QB to use his legs. That’s absolutely the right pitch for Ewers, and Murphy as well. Whispers: Murphy’s not as athletic or as quick as Ewers.

When looking at it from this angle, it’s easy to see why the staff would prioritize Murphy over Klubnik. The Westlake state champ isn’t the passing prospect of Ewers or Murphy. One of Klubnik’s greatest assets is his athleticism and ability to create off-schedule. Sark believes he can keep prototypical passers on-schedule.

Essentially, Sark could be thinking, “this the passing game we’re building, who fits it?” You take Murphy over Klubnik in the downfield passing example.

I do have some questions on Murphy in the RPO game, but again, that’s where lack of film really hurts. Maybe he’s great at it, I just have my concerns because it requires quick actions and not just with the arm.

Recruiting impact: My opinion is Sarkisian will recruit very well this cycle whether it’s Ewers, Klubnik, or Murphy atop the class. Obviously Ewers would provide the greatest impact but you can’t sit back and wait forever for him.

Murphy would open up doors to California which has to be seductive to Sarkisian. California should be seen as secondary recruiting territory regardless of who the coach is, but Sark has the ability to create a sustainable one-way street between the two regions.

If Murphy is a neutral or positive impact on landing guys like Evan Stewart and Brenen Thompson it makes the decision to take him all the easier.

Roster considerations: All four quarterbacks on the roster combined (I’m counting Cole Lourd) present a reasonable floor at the position for the coming years, especially for the guy who helped turn Mac Jones into a stud. Now would be the time you take a player with greater risk, and Murphy does pose risks because of lack of tape and mobility in the pocket.

If they sign Murphy, and only Murphy, Sark and Milwee will have plenty of time to find the next QB who should check all the boxes. The march to Arch, imo.

Ewers: Ewers has known Sarkisian for well over a year. There was a time where Alabama was right in the thick of things for him. That means he’s well past the introductory stage with Sarkisian, so there could be a sense with Sark that he’s burning daylight. Sark could be thinking, “I’m at your dream school and just bested Ryan Day on the chalkboard, what more do you want?”

Closing: Taking Murphy is certainly defensible, especially given his fit in what is the Ewers sell, but he doesn’t come without risks and his recruiting ranking is virtually meaningless. Sark’s interest is a meaningful data point. However, there are reasons Murphy makes sense that don’t necessarily point to Sark believing he’s an elite prospect, and Sark spent the last year pursuing Ewers rather than Murphy for reasons that should be obvious.

Postscript: When I say we’ll find out a lot about Sark in the coming weeks, I mean we’ll learn how good his ability is to read and guide a situation as difficult and important as this.

They seem a bit grumpy

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

I refuse to believe Gerry proposed that title. Watching Nahlin catch second-hand embarassment from himself is truly a spectacle to behold considering the other forced jokes he's published. Watching Nahlin twist himselves into knots about accepting Ewers may not end up at Texas per his prediction is certainly a silver-lining to the non-ideal outcome.

• Hook 'Em 4

Here are some of Gerry's comments about the QB situation this morning.

Just one opinion, but Texas is truly betting on a shoot the moon (Kyle Trask) type of scenario with Murphy.

He has size and tools. He’s also going to have to be maximized in terms of shortening the arm action and foot quickness.

The positive thing about that scenario is a staff has to really like Thompson/Card to go that route.

My bet is that Murphy ends up a 150-175 type ranking nationally over time.

Just me, but I like Drew Allar more. He’s an ascending prospect for me.

I don't see anyone saying Murphy is "bad". He's very likely to end up as a top 150-200 national prospect when all is said and done. Those aren't bad prospects.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

My thoughts align with theirs regarding Murphy. Potential is a sly temptress.

The kid isn’t Ewers and there’s a sizable gap when you consider accuracy, athleticism and film.

I would also like to state that I’m 41 and 5’6’’ and have never played a down of football in my life.

But now I will double down on my analysis and think badly of anyone who disagrees.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I've seen Arch Manning casually mentioned on here for weeks. Is there ANY connection at all between the Manning family and Texas or Sark? The idea that Texas would be a player for him seems completely out of left field to me.

I guess might belong in 2023, but since its being brought up here. How good is he projected to be? Is a lot of the hype just due to the family?

5 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

I refuse to believe Gerry proposed that title. Watching Nahlin catch second-hand embarassment from himself is truly a spectacle to behold considering the other forced jokes he's published. Watching Nahlin twist himselves into knots about accepting Ewers may not end up at Texas per his prediction is certainly a silver-lining to the non-ideal outcome.

Gerry also posted a week ago about what a mistake it would be going out of state for a QB this year with a talent like Klubnick available and the impact he could have on recruiting versus the negative perception of going out of state.....so I can entirely believe that title reflects Gerry's thoughts.

2 minutes ago, Kanly said:

I agree. No way he stays a 5 star through signing day.

Well, given that the 5 star rating is based off their pro potential not college potential....I can see him staying a 5 star if he is able to camp and play games.

I would have to look at what 150-175 ranked QBs were this year, but that seems low based on his videos that are out there.

Edited by TexasRenegade

Zero TDs sophomore year and no junior year? Did that camp video of him throwing earn him that recruiting ranking? 

"He played in five games as a sophomore battling through injury and backing up a Group of 5 signee. Murphy completed 44.8% of his attempts (26 of 58) for 305 yards and no touchdowns with two interceptions."

Just now, TexasRenegade said:

Well, given that the 5 star rating is based off their pro potential not college potential....I can see him staying a 5 star if he is able to camp and play games.

Yes, he clearly has potential in spades. That's not debatable. Athletes like him tend to not get moved down a whole bunch, as much as others get adjusted higher. I'm not saying he's a jag, I'm saying that others will prove themselves and jump him.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry hates the idea of going OOS for a non-superstar QB and the prospect of him bringing a "possession" receiver like CJ Williams with him only brings him more sorrow.

It's hard not to feel this way. QB and WR are two spots that are absolutely stocked in this state every year (NCAA and NFL production prove it out) and specifically in 2022. going OOS for OLB or DT? Sure. I get that. QB and WR, esp in 2022, is a tougher hill to climb. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry hates the idea of going OOS for a non-superstar QB and the prospect of him bringing a "possession" receiver like CJ Williams with him only brings him more sorrow.

After looking at CJ's film, he definitely lacks some speed and quickness but he is tough, big, runs great routes and has great hands. I think he will play early but will be more of a complimentary player.

4 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Even with Murphy's question marks, still not sure I wouldn't take him over Klub straight up. When you consider that taking him likely still allows us to court Ewers (at least according to IT) then accepting a commitment from Murphy seems like a pretty low-floor endeavor, no?

Nahlin literally says in the article Murphy is a better fit for Sark's system as a drop back passer.

1 minute ago, Dijon Robinson said:

then accepting a commitment from Murphy seems like a pretty low-floor endeavor, no?

The worst-case scenario is taking an OOS QB that has barely thrown a single games worth of passes in his high school career to this point, and he's not done it very well.  It's a very high floor endeavor. 

The low-floor endeavor is take one of the scores of in-state QBs that has already thrown for thousands of yards and has an excellent completion % and TD/INT ratio.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Nahlin's snark about it aside, clearly Sark looked at Klubnik, Weigman, Hoover, etc, and our current QB room and decided that Murphy is the guy he wants. I'm cool with that.

Sark developed Mac Jones to be a Heisman finalist and win a natty. Yes, I know its Bama and loaded with WR talent, but I think I will trust the guy until he gives me reason not to on QB evaluations. 

Murphy has clearly been a kid in the camp system in Cali for a while.  He's been working with trainers and QB coaches since he was in middle school probably.  I believe his rating has to do with him out performing his peers in the camp settings and based on what the people that have coached and trained him are saying.  He's big and has an absolute cannon of an arm.  He's done well in camps and is normally the most accurate QB in these settings.  

He's also slow, has terrible footwork, and has no actual game film.  I say take him and shoot for the fucking sky with his potential.

Lastly, Hudson Card had no game film with the exception of like 1 game when we took his commitment.  It was all based on how he performed in camps and from the people coaching him.  They obviously are not the same prospect but the people that work with him, have good things to say about Murphy.

• Hook 'Em 8

I have my doubts about the dogma that Murphy is nonathletic. He last played football as a sophomore. Guys improve dramatically in speed and quickness between their sophomore and senior years. I would wait until new tape comes out before coming to a conclusion.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Bevo said:

I have my doubts about the dogma that Murphy is nonathletic. He last played football as a sophomore. Guys improve dramatically in speed and quickness between their sophomore and senior years. I would wait until new tape comes out before coming to a conclusion.

From the limited youtube clips of him throwing in camps, the first thing you'll notice is that it looks like he has cinder blocks tied to his feet.  He's slow, I don't think that is going to change.  As long as he can drop back and put the ball where it needs to be, his speed won't matter in Sark's offense.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting