Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I feel like I'm playing devil's advocate way too much but fuck it. If they are close, awesome, I don't think that it would come out that they just have a decent relationship though or an average one. In the case she does go to UT, how much will she be able to advocate/recruit him though? I don't think he needs a sibling to tell him about how Austin is an awesome place, great campus, academics, etc. It's not a Luke Brockermeyer situation where he literally is seeing how the sausage is made and is able to pass that along, so unless she's having the most unbelievable experience and is extremely tight with Arch, I'm leery of that being a major factor. Maybe I'm projecting some sort of sibling relationship trauma, but I think there will be other connections more in our favor. I'd rather a girlfriend come along to UT, feels like that plays a much bigger factor based on recent experience.

If I'm a guy like Arch, the last thing I want to bring to college is a girlfriend.

13 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I feel like I'm playing devil's advocate way too much but fuck it. If they are close, awesome, I don't think that it would come out that they just have a decent relationship though or an average one. In the case she does go to UT, how much will she be able to advocate/recruit him though? I don't think he needs a sibling to tell him about how Austin is an awesome place, great campus, academics, etc. It's not a Luke Brockermeyer situation where he literally is seeing how the sausage is made and is able to pass that along, so unless she's having the most unbelievable experience and is extremely tight with Arch, I'm leery of that being a major factor. Maybe I'm projecting some sort of sibling relationship trauma, but I think there will be other connections more in our favor. I'd rather a girlfriend come along to UT, feels like that plays a much bigger factor based on recent experience.

You're overthinking it

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So let's tease this out. Who at IT has worked with members of the staff before? Gideon and Davis feel obvious enough, albeit in a different capacity. Gerry has connections, certainly. But, to whom? Tom Loy broke the Murphy stuff. Don't you think that if Gerry was getting drips from the staff, IT would have broken it? It's all well-reasoned tea leaf reading over there right now. I like IT, and I value their perspective as a recruiting content consumer, they're just not showing any connections right now as they have in the past. 

They were definitely off on the QB stuff. That was like what 2 days ago when they were talking QBs and they barely even mentioned Murphy. It was all Ewers and Klubnik talk.

That makes you think their current sources are more on the TXHSFB side.

Top QB Recruit Maalik Murphy on 2021 Season, Texas Talk and More

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/top-qb-recruit-maalik-murphy-on-2021-season-texas-talk-and-more

Earlier this week multiple reports suggested an impending closer look at Texas football set for Monday. It may eventually be the case but is far from a certainty as of Wednesday afternoon.

"I don't know for sure yet if I'm going to go out there on the 15th," Murphy said. "My quarterback coach is thinking about going out there to train with some guys from out there. If I'm able to join, and go with him out there, that would be a great experience. But if not, I'll be stable here at home. It's not a for sure thing.

"I do like Texas a lot. Texas fans are probably the craziest fans (laughing) that I've dealt with. They are the most tapped-in on my Twitter feed. As a regular person, you come to my Twitter and see so much Texas, you're gonna think Texas. That's just what's gonna happen."

Spoiler

Maalik Murphy is one of the top junior quarterback recruits in the country, but he is projecting excitement for the front-end of the equation these days. 

The Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra standout finally has a season to prepare for after watching dozens of states get through a full high school football season in 2020.

California was one of 17 states to push the high school football season to the spring months. It has since seen contention points on a start date but just recently came to the decision to begin play in March. It will be a condensed, five-game schedule, but like many in his position after watching many others play -- Murphy will take it. 

"I'm in school, waiting for practice to come, that's the highlight of my day," he told SI All-American Wednesday. "Just being able to go out there with my team and practice...it's unbelievable. It's more than exciting. 

"I've been waiting so long, over a year in this offseason, working with my team and on myself. It's just long overdue, getting the chance to play. But now that it's here...it's a great feeling."

The spring season figures to feature plenty of firsts for Murphy, a towering 6-foot-5, 225-pound prospect. He saw partial duty as a sophomore, the last time Serra had a varsity team suit up, behind current UNLV quarterback Doug Brumfield. 

Getting to his first campaign as the clear-cut 'guy' for Serra High has featured plenty of build up. The lack of experience hasn't hurt the junior's recruitment one bit, however. More than 30 college football programs have offered him a scholarship to be the future face of the program. 

Penn State and Texas A&M were added to the list in recent weeks, as was national champion coordinator Steve Sarkisian and Texas. The new staff in Austin confirmed the previous staff's tender to the physically imposing Californian of late. Oregon, UCLA, Michigan, Rutgers and many others have also been involved. 

"Everything is going in my favor," he said. "I'm looking all of the options that I have. I really hope to make the best choice for myself. I'm not gonna make a choice based off of what everybody else wants me to do, like outsiders. I'm gonna narrow it down to what's best for me and what my family feels is the best for me because at the end of the day I'm gonna be the one at the school, playing ball and living there."

There is no top group edit or a public list of programs Murphy may be considering most. The recruiting rarity, and the decision to keep the evaluating private, comes by design.

"I never wanted to cut anyone out," he said. "I wanted to keep my eyes open for everybody. I want to talk to as many coaches as I can, to get a good feel on everyone."

Earlier this week multiple reports suggested an impending closer look at Texas football set for Monday. It may eventually be the case but is far from a certainty as of Wednesday afternoon.

"I don't know for sure yet if I'm going to go out there on the 15th," Murphy said. "My quarterback coach is thinking about going out there to train with some guys from out there. If I'm able to join, and go with him out there, that would be a great experience. But if not, I'll be stable here at home. It's not a for sure thing.

"I do like Texas a lot. Texas fans are probably the craziest fans (laughing) that I've dealt with. They are the most tapped-in on my Twitter feed. As a regular person, you come to my Twitter and see so much Texas, you're gonna think Texas. That's just what's gonna happen."

The top junior does admit he could come to a verbal commitment sooner rather than later, but also that he may hold off. No true timeline exists for a final decision but he feels like he has navigated the decision-making process well despite the uncertainty of the recruiting calendar and his own prep campaign. 

Additional visits aren't out of the question, either. In fact, one of the programs he is in communication with most is located across the country. 

"Out of all the schools I talk to, it would honestly be Rutgers that I would have to visit...it's in New Jersey so it would be the only school I would absolutely have to visit before going just because I know nothing about the state at all," he said. "I have nobody who lives out there...I don't know too much about New York and New Jersey. 

"It would be hard to go there without seeing everything, the atmosphere and my surroundings."

Murphy estimates 'five to six' college football coaching staffs he is in communication with most these days. Most haven't been pressing for a commitment or even a decision timeline, he says, especially given the recent news of the 2021 season on deck. 

Serra High, which went 6-5 in 2019, kicks off the campaign on March 12 according to Murphy. The build up to that date is his primary focus. 

"Even if it's five games, not a regular length season, I want people to know my love for the game and how excited I am about just getting a sniff of my junior year," he said. "It's ridiculous, I'm so ready to play. It's been a crazy time with everything going on but I've never given up, got side-tracked. I kept my main goal in front of my head and just kept working...getting stronger, getting faster, getting smarter.

"All of these things play a part in my development and I'm just ready to showcase it for myself and get on the field and do what I do best."

• Hook 'Em 5

47 minutes ago, Ill said:

It seems like there's two potential connections that stand out, May Manning or David Morris.

May is the oldest of Cooper's three kids, and she graduates from high school this spring. Based off no real evidence, the pick could be UT. I didn't really dig too far into this for obvious reasons. This could be a big connection, but it doesn't feel like a "pretty fucking big" connection.

David Morris was Eli's backup at Ole Miss for four years. He founded a quarterback training and development company called QB Country. Steve Sarkisian currently follows the QB Country twitter account (I couldn't find any personal twitter account for David Morris). The NY Times reported that "since he was in junior high school, Arch Manning has worked at times with a quarterback coach named David Morris" in the following article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/26/sports/football/arch-manning-high-school-recruitment.html . According to Morris's bio on the QB Country website ( https://qbcountry.com/mobile-al/ ), he trained Eli in his offseasons. So there's a good connection there with Arch and the Manning family, but in order to make it a "pretty fucking big one" maybe Morris will be offered a position at UT? 

Holy shit, Sherlock.

Where do I send my $9.95?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Teryor said:

You are playing devil's advocate too much. You can google May Manning or "cooper manning daughter" and there are articles written about her and her relationships with her family. 

We'll see what happens. The Arch Manning recruitment will be above board and damned near everyone will be working it. Texas has some advantages with it, but I have no idea how compelling the UT case will be versus many others. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You are playing devil's advocate too much. You can google May Manning or "cooper manning daughter" and there are articles written about her and her relationships with her family. 

We'll see what happens. The Arch Manning recruitment will be above board and damned near everyone will be working it. Texas has some advantages with it, but I have no idea how compelling the UT case will be versus many others. 

Malachi Nelson is also thought of as a high 5* QB, although probably not at the level of Manning. It'll be interesting to see who zags away from Manning to go after Nelson; for instance, both OU and USC are passing on taking a highly rated QB in 2022 so they have a better shot at Nelson in 2023. 

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Malachi Nelson is also thought of as a high 5* QB, although probably not at the level of Manning. It'll be interesting to see who zags away from Manning to go after Nelson; for instance, both OU and USC are passing on taking a highly rated QB in 2022 so they have a better shot at Nelson in 2023. 

He has a Texas and Alabama offer as well.

So y’all mean to tell me that we have a chance to get a high upside high 4* low 5* QB that multiple recruiting sites have deemed a top 5 QB in the nation, that Sark personally has been pushing hard for, that has ties to Coleman(assuming TFB is correct) Williams and Winfield already has tweeted a picture with, and that opens up some more lines of communication with CA than Sark already naturally has? 

And people don’t want him to come??  

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Okcool said:

Super K and TFB have been all over the Murphy recruitment and possible CA windfall of 2022s. Currently and in years past, I think they've had better CA connections than IT & other $9.95ers. They also broke the Kwiatkowski hiring. Grumpy is an understatement.

They also broke the Bru story

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Top QB Recruit Maalik Murphy on 2021 Season, Texas Talk and More

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/top-qb-recruit-maalik-murphy-on-2021-season-texas-talk-and-more

Hide contents

Maalik Murphy is one of the top junior quarterback recruits in the country, but he is projecting excitement for the front-end of the equation these days. 

The Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra standout finally has a season to prepare for after watching dozens of states get through a full high school football season in 2020.

California was one of 17 states to push the high school football season to the spring months. It has since seen contention points on a start date but just recently came to the decision to begin play in March. It will be a condensed, five-game schedule, but like many in his position after watching many others play -- Murphy will take it. 

"I'm in school, waiting for practice to come, that's the highlight of my day," he told SI All-American Wednesday. "Just being able to go out there with my team and practice...it's unbelievable. It's more than exciting. 

"I've been waiting so long, over a year in this offseason, working with my team and on myself. It's just long overdue, getting the chance to play. But now that it's here...it's a great feeling."

The spring season figures to feature plenty of firsts for Murphy, a towering 6-foot-5, 225-pound prospect. He saw partial duty as a sophomore, the last time Serra had a varsity team suit up, behind current UNLV quarterback Doug Brumfield. 

Getting to his first campaign as the clear-cut 'guy' for Serra High has featured plenty of build up. The lack of experience hasn't hurt the junior's recruitment one bit, however. More than 30 college football programs have offered him a scholarship to be the future face of the program. 

Penn State and Texas A&M were added to the list in recent weeks, as was national champion coordinator Steve Sarkisian and Texas. The new staff in Austin confirmed the previous staff's tender to the physically imposing Californian of late. Oregon, UCLA, Michigan, Rutgers and many others have also been involved. 

"Everything is going in my favor," he said. "I'm looking all of the options that I have. I really hope to make the best choice for myself. I'm not gonna make a choice based off of what everybody else wants me to do, like outsiders. I'm gonna narrow it down to what's best for me and what my family feels is the best for me because at the end of the day I'm gonna be the one at the school, playing ball and living there."

There is no top group edit or a public list of programs Murphy may be considering most. The recruiting rarity, and the decision to keep the evaluating private, comes by design.

"I never wanted to cut anyone out," he said. "I wanted to keep my eyes open for everybody. I want to talk to as many coaches as I can, to get a good feel on everyone."

The top junior does admit he could come to a verbal commitment sooner rather than later, but also that he may hold off. No true timeline exists for a final decision but he feels like he has navigated the decision-making process well despite the uncertainty of the recruiting calendar and his own prep campaign. 

Additional visits aren't out of the question, either. In fact, one of the programs he is in communication with most is located across the country. 

"Out of all the schools I talk to, it would honestly be Rutgers that I would have to visit...it's in New Jersey so it would be the only school I would absolutely have to visit before going just because I know nothing about the state at all," he said. "I have nobody who lives out there...I don't know too much about New York and New Jersey. 

"It would be hard to go there without seeing everything, the atmosphere and my surroundings."

Murphy estimates 'five to six' college football coaching staffs he is in communication with most these days. Most haven't been pressing for a commitment or even a decision timeline, he says, especially given the recent news of the 2021 season on deck. 

Serra High, which went 6-5 in 2019, kicks off the campaign on March 12 according to Murphy. The build up to that date is his primary focus. 

"Even if it's five games, not a regular length season, I want people to know my love for the game and how excited I am about just getting a sniff of my junior year," he said. "It's ridiculous, I'm so ready to play. It's been a crazy time with everything going on but I've never given up, got side-tracked. I kept my main goal in front of my head and just kept working...getting stronger, getting faster, getting smarter.

"All of these things play a part in my development and I'm just ready to showcase it for myself and get on the field and do what I do best."

Good to know they have a short season I March. I’ve been saying we’d have to wait until the fall because I had no idea. So Sark and co. will know how they need to navigate the position by summer. 

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I wonder how much LSU will play in Arch Manning's recruitment, being from LA and all?

It didn't play much with his dad or uncles but LSU wasn't as big a name back then in football.  Also Newman (where Arch and his family all went to hs) was a pretty big feeder for Ole Miss.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

And to not have LSU and Baton Rouge be fucking trash as universities, places to live, and heavily populated by...

You think a few bags makes a difference to people like the Mannings? 

I mean, it's not like they're moving to a strange land populated by people they never encounter. And your first sentence could be true for several top programs who figure to be in the running

I think it being just down the road from home would be a plus if they like the situation, but that's difficult to see at this juncture

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The Raiders played the Oilers 8 times with Lamonica on the roster. The Raiders won every game and the most points scored by the Oilers in any of the contests was 21. The Oilers averaged 10 points per game in the matchups. The Raiders scored over 50 one time in a 56-7 win.

Today's wet blanket on your nostalgia brought to you by Huckleberry.

No wet blanket. I remember the Raiders always seemed to beat the Oilers back then. I was going from memory from when I was a kid. But to be honest, being right 1 out of 8 times tends to put me in the elite status for being right on surly.  I realize thats a rather low bar but its rather high for most posters. You get an E for effort.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I mean, it's not like they're moving to a strange land populated by people they never encounter. And your first sentence could be true for several top programs who figure to be in the running

I think it being just down the road from home would be a plus if they like the situation, but that's difficult to see at this juncture

And maybe those are factors they'll take into consideration for schools in the running? 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And maybe those are factors they'll take into consideration for schools in the running? 

So eliminate everyone not named Texas and maybe Georgia?

Unless you're saying that these programs being in great shape can make up for it, which wouldn't change my point that LSU would need a new coach and OC the Mannings believe in to have a chance

40 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

So y’all mean to tell me that we have a chance to get a high upside high 4* low 5* QB that multiple recruiting sites have deemed a top 5 QB in the nation, that Sark personally has been pushing hard for, that has ties to Coleman(assuming TFB is correct) Williams and Winfield already has tweeted a picture with, and that opens up some more lines of communication with CA than Sark already naturally has? 

First day here? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

So eliminate everyone not named Texas and maybe Georgia?

Unless you're saying that these programs being in great shape can make up for it, which wouldn't change my point that LSU would need a new coach and OC the Mannings believe in to have a chance

I mean of course they could make up for it. View my contribution as an addition to your point, not a contradiction. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Jesus. I step away from this thread for a few hours and come back to a massive shit show of people jumping off a bridge thinking that the signing of a five star QB from an elite school in CA is going to be a terrible decision. I was about to punch thru my monitor until CTJ finally shut those shit takes down. Good grief this board needs its own psychiatrist. 

They got any others we're lookin at?

Edited by TommyGufano

44 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Jesus. I step away from this thread for a few hours and come back to a massive shit show of people jumping off a bridge thinking that the signing of a five star QB from an elite school in CA is going to be a terrible decision. I was about to punch thru my monitor until CTJ finally shut those shit takes down. Good grief this board needs its own psychiatrist. 

first time GIF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Gerry Hamilton thinks he ends up top 200 prospect a la CTJ protege Preston Stone. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Totally willing to admit that I am being a downer, and did look up some stuff in regards to them. I actually should be able to get some info really close to this specific recruitment as penance, but the best time for that to start happening won't be for 6-7 months.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting