Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Updated class positional allocation prediction (28 spots available)

QB- 1

RB- 2

TE- 1

WR- 5 

DL/EDGE- 6

LB- 2

DB- 5

Transfer- 1

I'd prefer to take one or two fewer prospects, and use those spots for transfers who can help Texas against Bama in 2022, but where to you rob spots from? I'd say WR, but it seems like the staff could easily land five, or DL/EDGE, but Sark has lamented about not having enough bodies there. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

QB- 1

RB- 2

TE- 1

WR- 5 

DL/EDGE- 6

LB- 2

DB- 5

Transfer- 1

I'd prefer to take one or two fewer prospects, and use those spots for transfers who can help Texas against Bama in 2022, but where to you rob spots from? I'd say WR, but it seems like the staff could easily land five, or DL/EDGE, but Sark has lamented about not having enough bodies there. 

Think we're going to need more OL this year

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JPETERMAN said:

There is definitely a wrong way to deal with the high school coaches which somehow we've managed to do since Mack left. That's not to say that you have to suck them off to the extent Mack did however, just not actively piss them off. 

Charlie pretty much ignored them in general, and I recall some chatter when he signed about 4 kids from Florida in the Cecil Cherry class that they were getting some "dogs" with the kids from Florida, implying Texas high school kids were soft.  Herman was just an A-Hole and all the high school coaches despised him so he wasn't going to get the benefit of the doubt.

You don't have to bend over backwards, but you basically shouldn't actively try to piss them off or they will likely steer kids away from your program.  Feels like there is a lot of room in between those extremes in which you can succeed.  Same goes for the trainers for that matter, unless you want to talk about dropping bags in which case some of them are more likely to be influenced by that sort of thing.

It's about winning. And unfortunately also acting like an asshole. Mack sucked off TXHS coaches and they would still all run around with a OU visor and praise Bob Stoops every chance they got. I know several coaches that would act like the Queen was coming when Stoops visited and barely had the time to meet with Mack. Why, because they related to Stoops more. I don't want to get in why that is but we all know why that is the case. So Sark needs to win and maybe show some swagger after it and the TXHS coaches will be fine. They'll excuse a lot of crap if they know their kids are going to a winner.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

QB- 1

RB- 2

TE- 1

WR- 5 

DL/EDGE- 6

LB- 2

DB- 5

Transfer- 1

I think DL/EDGE could lose one. The WR number is high but all the guys we'd take are studs. That's not really the case for DL. It wouldn't surprise me if we took 4 or 5 DL and then added a transfer or two at that spot instead of a middling 3 star. We also have good depth in the middle so we could get away with 1 DT if we struggle to recruit there. 

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

QB- 1

RB- 2

TE- 1

WR- 5 

DL/EDGE- 6

LB- 2

DB- 5

Transfer- 1

I'm thinking that if they take Murphy, they'll take another QB. I guess it really depends upon who wins the role in 2022, who does or does not transfer, and what they think of Wright and Lourd once on campus. Maybe they don't take a 2nd QB unless they're not liking what they see in the summer and fall and then try to rinse and repeat with a guy that they would be a solid program guy at worst.

I'm sure you meant an OL number of 4 or 5. My bet is 5. I do think that OL is a spot where they will be able to win in the portal if they need to do so. 

I'm curious about whether or not they wind up with 4 pure DBs and a 5th that projects as a hybrid. If they go that route, I'm also curious who the targets would be. 

25 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Clearly we're getting both of them.

I mean...that could totally work. I know it's not going to happen, but if ewers is as good as advertised, and if Murphy knows he needs work and is willing to sit and learn for a few years, you could have ewers stay for 3 years and start 2, then you could have a redshirt Murphy take over for 2 years after sitting and learning behind card/Thompson for 1 year and ewers for 2 years.

3 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Not if he is still actively recruiting for Ohio State. IMO if Texas was his dream school, then this almost gives him an out without feeling bad.

If I'm thinking about breaking up with my girlfriend, I'm not gonna stop having sex with her until I have someone else to replace her.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Not if he is still actively recruiting for Ohio State. IMO if Texas was his dream school, then this almost gives him an out without feeling bad.

I get it, but really what is he supposed to be doing? You're the QB, class leader, he's doing what's expected. Just like Milroe did for us.

But in the end is it recruiting "for Ohio State,"  or actually trying to convince other elite players to come play with him and the other bad asses he's bringing with him.... to "wherever" that might be?

Edited by UncleBuck

26 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I get it, but really what is he supposed to be doing? You're the QB, class leader, he's doing what's expected. Just like Milroe did for us.

But in the end is it recruiting "for Ohio State,"  or actually trying to convince other elite players to come play with him and the other bad asses he's bringing with him.... to "wherever" that might be?

8 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Yea or he's recruiting extra hard for them so he wont feel as bad when he flips. 

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

I have as little love for or connection to the TXHSFB corches as is possible to have, but the expectations are because UT is the flagship. It's a mark of pride, in a certain way.

Most TXHSFB corches are the sons and grandsons of corches who thought water was bad for you so there’s that 

Justin Wells notes

Spoiler

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (2022):

With 28 offers, including Texas, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, and Auburn, it's easy to see why schools are in the hunt for the Allen product. He already knows what he wants to hear from future programs.

“Definitely education," said Umeozulu. "Also, where I feel I am comfortable, and ultimately the school that fits the most and wants me the most. I have been working on strength and conditioning this off season and technique work.”

At 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, one of the more important targets for Texas in 2022 is hearing the message. Well, he's hearing a lot of messages.

“I speak with a lot of different schools all around the country," Umeozulu said. "I have a relationship with almost every school that has offered me thus far.”

What about the Horns message to Umeozulu?

“Coach Sark, Coach Flood and the Texas staff have expressed great feelings towards me," said Umeozulu. "I look forward to coming back to Austin for a Texas visit in the near future.“

With the 2022 class for UT, offensive linemen are important as ever. When you're trending well with Devon Campbell and Kelvin Banks, the momentum could easily swing towards Umeozulu. And Texas could finally get back to Allen high school for the first time since maybe Dan Buckner.

WR Nicholas Anderson, Katy (2022):

After bursting on the scene this year, the state champion has one goal for 2021; getting back to AT&T Stadium this winter.

“We started off season last week, said Anderson. “Recruiting is going great. Just hoping I get to visit some schools soon. I want to experience that part of the process.”

The Longhorns remain a constant in the 6-foot-2, 175-pounder's recruitment, along with 16 offers including Notre Dame, Stanford, Arkansas, and Michigan.

“I hear the most from Texas, Notre Dame, TCU, Missouri, Stanford, and Michigan,” said Anderson.

The younger brother of Rodney (OU) and Ryder Anderson (Ole Miss), the youngest has the genes to play at his siblings' level. It'll be interesting where UT sees him on its big board for pass-catchers in 2022. There are so many receivers in-state for this cycle, it would be difficult to go wrong.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

FYI:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/02/11/pac-12-football-recruiting-our-breakdown-of-the-top-targets-for-each-team-in-the-class-of-2022/

UCLA: TB Jaydn Ott (Las Vegas/Bishop Gorman). The Bruins are an interesting case in that five-star quarterback Maalik Murphy is atop their wish list. (His mom works on campus.) But we opted for Ott as the best combination of desirable and signable. The four-star prospect will have plenty of offers, whereas Murphy could commit to Texas any day.

Cal: WR C.J. Williams (Santa Ana/Mater Dei). The Bears have a commitment from their No. 1 target (quarterback Justyn Martin), so Williams qualifies as No. 1B. He’s raw but possesses a high ceiling — so high, in fact, that Alabama and Ohio State are interested. The Bears are in dire need of perimeter playmakers.

Just now, Machinator said:

From a poster on IT who has connections to the Ewers circle:

Hide contents

Just passing info along I hear. Never want to come across as an insider for what it's worth.

Cliff notes from my convo....

- he is not in love with OSU

- just wants to play football and win championships

- flip won't happen soon, if it happens look for around ou game. Wants to see how the offense does to start the season

-loved that Blue is trying to recruit OL

- talks to Milwee the most, likes him a lot

- a QB committing anywhere will not scare him

Take it for what it's worth.

"Look for it around the OU game."

Yeah we better take Murphy if he wants in, that is LATE by QB timeline standards. Only thing left will be dregs and the perennial 4-star Georgia mercenary that knows how to run a proper auction. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Nick at Nite: Sources sound off on newly-hired Texas assistants

Spoiler

- As the Texas staff has gotten to work in recruiting in 2022 and 2023, prospects and coaches are starting to formulate their opinions of the new direction of the Texas program under Steve Sarkisian. A name I've heard a good amount about is safeties coach Blake Gideon. As I reported earlier this week, Gideon is hot in pursuit of the state's top two safeties Bryan Allen Jr. and Bryce Anderson. There's an energetic aura about Gideon that is impressing these guys as he's worked close with newly-hired cornerbacks coach and pass game coordinator Terry Joseph. These two have started their working relationship off on the right path and have conjoined to recruit some of the biggest secondary names in the state for the 2022 class.

- Since coming onto campus, defensive line coach Bo Davis has been busy handing out offers in 2022 and 2023. In talking to a head coach of a recently offered recruit, Davis has done a good job in relating with his player and is already working towards improving his weaknesses. "You can tell (Davis) really cares about his well-being and wants him to succeed no matter where he goes." In a room with a lot of top talent, Davis seems to be the relationship-building type, so expect the d-line group to be one of the closest knit on the team and one of the most competitive.

- When the entirety of the new staff was announced, arguably the most exciting hire with the Texas fanbase was offensive line coach Kyle Flood. Since arriving, he has gone to work in the 2022 class after inheriting a lackluster 2021 group. In talking to multiple recruits, Flood is "all business" and has done a good job conveying what the Texas offense is going to look like. I asked if the all business approach was off-putting in any way to one recruit and that was met with a firm "not at all." While there is still work to be done, Flood has put Texas back in the conversation with multiple top-tier offensive linemen in the 2022 class.

WHAT I KNOW ON NCAA DEAD PERIOD EXTENSION

Reports surfaced earlier today that the Division I Football Oversight Committee recommended to the NCAA to extend the recruiting dead period through May 31. The Division I Council will decide on the recommendation at a Feb. 17 meeting.

I talked to a recruit today who had an SEC head coach tell him that he expects the dead period to be extended to May 31, and that it is of the understanding that it will not be extended beyond that.

The Division I Council enacted the emergency recruiting dead period back on March 13, 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and has since extended the end date four times. It currently is set to expire on April 15 pending the Feb. 17 Division I Council meeting.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

Just passing info along I hear. Never want to come across as an insider for what it's worth.

- flip won't happen soon, if it happens look for around ou game. Wants to see how the offense does to start the season

spacer.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m really excited to hear that the new staff is doing things different and have a totally new energy in recruiting. I was expecting things to be the same, but according to insiders it’s night and day. I really didn’t see this coming. So pumped for this new staff, I’m going to resubscribe to all the pay sites! 

We never hear this with new staffs, so I'm with you.

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

"  - a QB committing anywhere will not scare him "

- This makes sense.  If he's not deterred by the combination of experience and pedigree on the Ohio State roster (below), the Texas position group shouldn't worry him.

- And hopefully, Murphy is the same.  Yeah, he's a 5 star - at least at this point - but he seems to recognize that he's raw, so hopefully he can also see what learning as a backup + 1.5 years of good tape have done for Mac Jones.

On their roster, Ohio State has:

2020 / Jack Miller / Nat #334 / Pos #13 / 4 star 

2020 / CJ Stroud / Nat #42 / Pos #2 / High  star

2021 / Kyle Mccord / Nat #27 / Pos #3 /  5 star

15 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’m really excited to hear that the new staff is doing things different and have a totally new energy in recruiting. I was expecting things to be the same, but according to insiders it’s night and day. I really didn’t see this coming. So pumped for this new staff, I’m going to resubscribe to all the pay sites! 

Why bother subscribing to insider sites? With your son on the team, you're your own insider.

5 hours ago, Lou_Sassle said:

I mean...that could totally work. I know it's not going to happen, but if ewers is as good as advertised, and if Murphy knows he needs work and is willing to sit and learn for a few years, you could have ewers stay for 3 years and start 2, then you could have a redshirt Murphy take over for 2 years after sitting and learning behind card/Thompson for 1 year and ewers for 2 years.

Can’t see that kind of patience in kids these days.  How I’d run my ncaa 14 dynasty for sure though.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting