Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm sure I'll regret it, but I can't be the only guy on this board that's getting tired of the Ewers story.

I'm with you. I disagreed with the $9.95ers a few weeks ago when they said we had to get Ewers in this class, and I disagree now. He would be a nice addition, but he isn't going to be some saint that makes all other 2022 recruits want to come here. Murphy will bring in some Southern Cal guys and maybe Coleman from St. Louis. So, he seems to be everything from a recruiting standpoint that Ewers was hoped.

I think the big gap in logic from our $9.95ers is that we are bound to the state of Texas from a recruiting standpoint. Texas is obviously our bread and butter, but there are plenty of solid recruits in Arizona, California, Louisiana, and Florida. And we can only bring in about 25 guys a year. If half of them come from out of state, it makes Texas recruits even more interested in Texas because of the limited spots. The following years, assuming we are winning, creates a buzz where recruits are saying "We better jump on Texas early if they offer, because if we wait, we could be out of luck". God help us get to that point.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Earlier in the thread the question of would Maalik be the first OOS QB for us that would have legit shot at starting since Simms, then the hair talk popping up, I have a question. 

Would Maalik, if he started at some point, be the first starting QB we’ve had with dreads? 

If he still has dreads. I think so?

5 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Like I have said. it's only a matter of time. Kid does not want to play out to state and would rather be close to home. I see it happening well before the OU game. More around spring. 

People keep saying stuff like this, but is it based on something he's actually said, or some actual evidence? Or is it just wishcasting based on us being his favorite childhood team? Because he committed to Ohio State, is recruiting for Ohio State, and is posting Ohio State shit on his social media. He seems pretty locked into Ohio State to me. I don't understand the confidence. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I will always appreciate Ewers for helping accelerate Herman's firing (or at least seeming to). His flip to OSU and the rest of the then 2022 class members bailing out of the class right after helped highlight and put a ton of pressure on UT leadership to get Herman the fuck out.

There are plenty of good QBs out there for us to go after.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Earlier in the thread the question of would Maalik be the first OOS QB for us that would have legit shot at starting since Simms, then the hair talk popping up, I have a question. 

Would Maalik, if he started at some point, be the first starting QB we’ve had with dreads? 

I feel very confident that Case McCoy would have had dreads, had he been able to grow them.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Well go start a Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - All Gas No Ewers Talk thread. I'm all in on Ewers until it's done. 

Don't be like that. You'll be fine. This isn't like Strong and Herman. We have top men on it.

th?id=OIP.cbOXl26KLXPOBNC8md5JSwHaJQ%26p

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

RECRUITING

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA) (2022): Serra HS is set to begin its campaign on March 12th, according to reports. There’s a tentative five-game schedule, and after a 6-5 season in 2019, Murphy and his team are incredibly eager to return to the field.

Murphy has said recently it’s possible he takes a student trip to Austin soon, but we haven’t confirmed whether that trip will take place.

With USC already having a 2022 QB in the fold and having 2023 Malachi Nelson on the board as the top QB in the state and region, regardless of classification, the Trojans are content to work on Nelson and Nelson only. In the case of Oregon, fellow 2022 signal caller out of California (now at IMG Academy) A.J. Duffy is at the top of the board, and the most coveted for the Ducks staff.

That removes the Longhorns’ two major competitors from the picture, and provides a fortuitous path to victory for Sarkisian and staff to land the large pocket passing template.

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty (2022): The heavily pursued 6-foot-0, 170-pounder has PR’s of 10.74 100, 21.08 200, 47-9 triple jump, and a 24-6 long jump. Stewart tells IT those are all breakable marks with a successful track season this spring. Stewart loves playing football, but is equally happy on the track. It’s the competition aspect, Stewart tells IT. Texas continues to hold a lead over Alabama and others. With the family being from the Memphis area and SEC ties in the family tree (mom was a track star at Tennessee), the SEC appeal is present inside Stewart's circle, but UT’s new staff is structured to combat that argument.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (2022): At 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, one of UT’s top targets is staying in shape, and eager to compete at the Under Armour camp in Dallas on March 14th, he tells IT. On the recruiting front, Texas quietly been surging in the last week or so to the point of being considered the favorite by those at Summer Creek. LSU and Texas A&M are right there in the race, but the work of Kyle Flood here has been key. A person close to Banks has always maintained that the OL coach relationship would play a major role in where Banks would attend college. Texas was the favorite of Banks starting the recruiting process, and now Banks could be once again looking toward Austin as a future home.

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin (2022): The 6-foot-1, 200-pound linebacker is set to announce his college destination on Saturday afternoon, he tells IT. The Longhorns were considered the leader prior to the coaching change, and the quick work of Bo Davis once hired kept Texas at the top. The work of Davis, Jeff Banks and the entire staff has helped keep LSU and others from overtaking the Longhorns headed into the 5pm CT announcement Saturday.

In his first two seasons, Johnson’s stat line is ridiculous - 208 tackles, 26 TFLs, five sacks, four FFs, three PBUs, one FR, and one safety.

With Morice Blackwell in the fold, and Texas looking solid early for Javien Toviano, we may need to begin discussing what constitutes a pipeline.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (2022): Getting the Beaumont native is a major priority for the staff in the 2022 class, sources tell IT. Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon are treating him as such, and he feels the love, Anderson tells IT. Anderson, who was likely to decommit from LSU for two months prior to publicly backing off the verbal, was leaning to Texas A&M prior to the new staff arriving in Austin. The work of Terry Joseph with the Anderson circle has been huge here, and now the rest of the staff is knocking it out of the park. Texas has a nice lead in this recruitment with a decision that could happen in the next month.

With family, including former UT safety PJ Locke, and RB commit Jaydon Blue, in his ear, it can only help the Horns.

DB Landon Hullaby, Mansfield Timberview (2022): Even though he didn’t compete at Pylon 7v7 last weekend, it didn’t stop him from coming out and supporting friends. The 6-foot, 185-pound four-star loves the direction of the new staff, he tells IT.

Baylor and Notre Dame are still recruiting the younger brother of UT linebacker Jaden Hullaby, but we get the sense many schools have backed off because of the assumption he’ll reunite with his brother.

His decision timeline: “I plan on making my decision in the summer, or earlier if the time feels right.”

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

An analyst in my office did the 1 chip challenge a few Fridays ago. He talked all of this shit in front of the largely female staff for a week about how it was going to be nothing and he eats Carolina Reapers as a snack and blah blah blah. This dude eats it, holds out for all of 10 minutes, and then starts chugging milk. Had to go to the bathroom multiple times, lied down on a couch, sweating and moaning, and eventually left work early. Said he was basically in bed most of Saturday. I don't think the ladies were impressed. It was sadly funny to witness, though.

Is his name Sydney?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Only one way to prove it... See you at the CTJ open invitational Sept 4th in Austin.

4 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Well then, today's your lucky day. May I present to you @closetojumping and his parking lot, tailgate party foot races. 

I've been doing a lot of route running and covering receivers with my buddies at a park lately. I'm fairly certain I'll be cracking a time in the 4s at the Surly Games on 9/4/21. We need this ULaLa game to kickoff at night.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I've been doing a lot of route running and covering receivers with my buddies at a park lately. I'm fairly certain I'll be cracking a time in the 4s at the Surly Games on 9/4/21. We need this ULaLa game to kickoff at night.

Most of this group will need a hospital that has the game on TV in the ER waiting room if that's the case.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Formal intros, team expectations, recruiting radar is pinging

TEAM

*Offseason started to pick up this week with the first in-person gathering of the entire team and new coaches. The meeting also included breaking up into offense and defense and was capped by a team meal.

*Steve Sarkisian held court with his intent to deliver program expectations. He came across as serious yet genuine (sorry for the overuse of that word. We either hear he’s genuine, real, or some other variation saying the same thing).

*He spoke of the virtues he expected his program to have. It will be an accountable group that doesn’t whine, complain, or make excuses. At the same time, if they have an injury or something wrong, it’s their job to communicate those issues so they can be remedied. Don’t sulk without communicating what’s bothering you. The coaches are there for the players. You can see how he’d come across as serious, then personable.

*He preached maturity, professionalism, and the importance of communication. We’ve noticed he’s transparent in press conferences. As he’s said publicly, he’s also said privately: these are skills that help you in life that transfer over to the football field. If you do things right off the field, football will take care of itself.

*Known for his high-flying offense, he was much more interested in discussing how his team would be physical and how his team would be intimidating. Their opponents week to week would be faceless. There will be no big games to get up for because they consistently prepare the right way regardless of opponent. This will conjure shades of going 1-0 each week but this is simply time honored “focus on the task at hand” jargon.

*After Sarkisian spoke, Jeff Banks was welcomed to the stage. He preached the importance of special teams and how each player will be on at least two phases of special teams. He said special teams plays a major role in team mindset, mental toughness, and identity.

*The team then broke up into offense and defense and met with coordinators and then position coaches.

*On Friday (today) players will begin working on the basics of install. As we reported last week, the defensive staff doesn’t want to start from scratch, more so they’d like to build on what’s in place. This extends to personnel, at least in the beginning. We haven’t heard of any major changes yet, i.e., Chris Adimora is still at nickel (at least for the time being). This is just a logical starting point and nothing should be read into how things will look by the end of spring ball.

*With the defensive front being multiple, there are effectively three positions to coach: Jack/X OLB, interior d-line, and defensive end. The X is basically the Jack at the other end of the line to the boundary. Jacoby Jones has been working with the Jacks/X’s.

*There remains a ton of excitement within the program, but that’s not just centered around the new staff. These guys want to get back to football in general. There’s a team-wide sense of ”spring football can’t get here fast enough.”

RECRUITING

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA) (2022): Serra HS is set to begin its campaign on March 12th, according to reports. There’s a tentative five-game schedule, and after a 6-5 season in 2019, Murphy and his team are incredibly eager to return to the field. Murphy has said recently it’s possible he takes a student trip to Austin soon, but we haven’t confirmed whether that trip will take place.

With USC already having a 2022 QB in the fold and having 2023 Malachi Nelson on the board as the top QB in the state and region, regardless of classification, the Trojans are content to work on Nelson and Nelson only. In the case of Oregon, fellow 2022 signal caller out of California (now at IMG Academy) A.J. Duffy is at the top of the board, and the most coveted for the Ducks staff. That removes the Longhorns’ two major competitors from the picture, and provides a fortuitous path to victory for Sarkisian and staff to land the large pocket passing template.

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty (2022): The heavily pursued 6-foot-0, 170-pounder has PR’s of 10.74 in the 100m, 21.08 in the 200m, a 47-9 triple jump, and a 24-6 long jump. Stewart tells IT those are all breakable marks with a successful track season this spring. Stewart loves playing football, but is equally happy on the track. It’s the competition aspect, Stewart tells IT. Texas continues to hold a lead over Alabama and others. With the family being from the Memphis area and SEC ties in the family tree (mom was a track star at Tennessee), the SEC appeal is present inside Stewart's circle, but UT’s new staff is structured to combat that argument.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (2022): At 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, one of UT’s top targets is staying in shape, and eager to compete at the Under Armour camp in Dallas on March 14th, he tells IT. On the recruiting front, Texas has quietly been surging in the last week or so to the point of being considered the favorite by those at Summer Creek. LSU and Texas A&M are right there in the race, but the work of Kyle Flood here has been key. A person close to Banks has always maintained that the OL coach relationship would play a major role in where Banks would attend college. Texas was the favorite of Banks starting the recruiting process, and now Banks could be once again looking toward Austin as a future home.

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin (2022): The 6-foot-1, 200-pound linebacker is set to announce his college destination on Saturday afternoon, he tells IT. The Longhorns were considered the leader prior to the coaching change, and the quick work of Bo Davis kept Texas at the top. The work of Davis, Jeff Banks and the entire staff has helped keep LSU and others from overtaking the Longhorns headed into the 5 p.m. CT announcement Saturday. In his first two seasons, Johnson’s stat line is ridiculous - 208 tackles, 26 TFLs, five sacks, four FFs, three PBUs, one FR, and one safety. With Morice Blackwell in the fold, and Texas looking solid early for Javien Toviano, we may need to begin discussing what constitutes a pipeline.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (2022): Getting the Beaumont native is a major priority for the staff in the 2022 class, sources tell IT. Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon are treating him as such, and he feels the love, Anderson tells IT. Anderson, who was likely to decommit from LSU for two months prior to publicly backing off the verbal, was leaning to Texas A&M prior to the new staff arriving in Austin. The work of Terry Joseph with the Anderson circle has been huge here, and now the rest of the staff is knocking it out of the park. Texas has a nice lead in this recruitment with a decision that could happen in the next month. With family, including former UT safety PJ Locke and RB commit Jaydon Blue in his ear, it can only help the Horns.

DB Landon Hullaby, Mansfield Timberview (2022): Even though he didn’t compete at Pylon 7v7 last weekend, it didn’t stop him from coming out and supporting friends. The 6-foot, 185-pound four-star loves the direction of the new staff, he tells IT. Baylor and Notre Dame are still recruiting the younger brother of UT linebacker Jaden Hullaby, but we get the sense many schools have backed off because of the assumption he’ll reunite with his brother. His decision timeline: “I plan on making my decision in the summer, or earlier if the time feels right.”

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 7

51 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bio

Spoiler

Bobby Brown joined the Carolina football staff in February of 2019 as a recruiting/player personnel assistant. Brown was elevated to his current role as defensive recruiting analyst in August of 2019.

Brown assists in the recruiting needs of the defensive coaching staff. He assists the director of recruiting/player personnel with prospects’ film, evaluations, transfer portal, the evaluation process, and prospect information. Brown is responsible for the recruiting travel and schedule plans of the defensive staff and assists in the planning and execution of on-campus recruiting visits.

Brown spent 2018 as a defensive quality control coach at Wake Forest University, while also working with the linebackers. Prior to Wake Forest, he served as the assistant director of recruiting and player personnel for the Air Force Academy from 2016 to 2018 under Troy Calhoun. Brown also served as a football operations intern for Iowa State, operations assistant for Army’s athletics department, and as an offensive quality control coach for the University of Incarnate Word, while also working with the quarterbacks.

Brown was a member of the Iowa State football team in 2010-11 before transferring to Buena Vista University, where he was a four-year starter at quarterback. Brown was named all-conference twice, MVP of the National Bowl, three-year captain, and broke over 20 records. He graduated with a double-major in accounting and business management, while also named to the Dean’s List.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So your reaction to a guy trying to bring free information to the board, even though he was beat by the bot, is to mock him? This is the recruiting board, not your football board, we prefer to mock people only for their actual deficiencies or the ones we create out of thin air, like your combination lazy eye and baby right arm. Calling the dude a bitch for being a bit late to the party seems harsh. 

I mean being a titty baby bitch is satyanash's deficiency. So my statement stands. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting