Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I don't understand why 995ers think the program needs to bow down to thsfb coaches when they've done little to nothing to keep the top talent in-state over the past decade. Fuck them. I like the idea of the casting this national net. Kind of sends the message of ''get your spot before a national stud takes it'' too. What blue-blood program doesn't do that?

Like people have said in the past, it's easier to keep people in the boat once they've committed rather than those who are 'leans' most of the process.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

I don't understand why 995ers think the program needs to bow down to thsfb coaches when they've done little to nothing to keep the top talent in-state over the past decade. Fuck them. I like the idea of the casting this national net. Kind of sends the message of ''get your spot before a national stud takes it'' too. What blue-blood program doesn't do that?

Like people have said in the past, it's easier to keep people in the boat once they've committed rather than those who are 'leans' most of the process.

If they aren't going to bitch about Aggie pulling in three stars from across the country as needed, they shouldn't be upset if UT pulls in a few four and five stars from outside the state.

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, Houston20 said:

Yep.  Kids been going to ou for ages and now the floodgates have opened thanks to aggy and our ineptitude.  We could make a deal.  Let Sark pick the first 25 kids he wants in state and then let everyone else fight over the leftovers.  Won't have to go OOS if that happens.  Deal?  No?  That's what I thought. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The consternation isn't purely about Texas HS coaches or recruiting "Texas first" (which we all generally agree on, anyway), it's about going out of state for players who are no better than those who can be found in-state. You didn't see 9.95ers bitch about recruiting Bijan in the 2020 cycle because the only in-state player who appeared to match his talent was a grade-A nutcase.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The consternation isn't purely about Texas HS coaches or recruiting "Texas first" (which we all generally agree on, anyway), it's about going out of state for players who are no better than those who can be found in-state. You didn't see 9.95ers bitch about recruiting Bijan in the 2020 cycle because the only in-state player who appeared to match his talent was a grade-A nutcase.

Appears the new staff wants to fish from a larger pond.  I have no problem with that.

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I guess what I failed to get across, is that Murphy is unique - there's no one in Texas like him - so it makes sense in terms of the staff clearly valuing some attributes. 

It's not like we grabbed some polished but athletically-average (for a high-major QB) kid from De La Salle or Mater Dei. Then I'd get the grumpiness a lot more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’ll get interesting if Sark loads up in California. He’s done all the right things with the THSCA, including kissing the ring immediately, but these coaches love to bitch almost as much as they love football.

The HS coaches have no room to talk. Nearly 40% of A&M’s class in 2021 came from OOS and I didn’t hear one peep out of them while Jimbo chased the best football players New Jersey and Pennsylvania have to offer.

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I haven’t seen a single kid we’ve recruited OOS where there’s enough realistic in-state options that are better. Murphy is a much better prospect than Klubnick and we tried for Ewers. There are good WRs in-state, but there aren’t 4-5 that Texas has a chance with that are better than Williams or Coleman. Same for OL. We have a solid top 5 in-states, but odds are low we land all of them. 

The consternation about us recruting OOS is fucking stupid and Nahlin should quit being a little bitch about everything. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’ll get interesting if Sark loads up in California. He’s done all the right things with the THSCA, including kissing the ring immediately, but these coaches love to bitch almost as much as they love football.

Fuck them too. They’re a bunch of whiny bitches who don’t actually help us even if we do recruit primarily in-state. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The HS coaches have no room to talk. Nearly 40% of A&M’s class in 2021 came from OOS and I didn’t hear one peep out of them while Jimbo chased the best football players New Jersey and Pennsylvania have to offer.

It’s a delicate relationship. THSCA demands loyalty from Sark, while returning almost nothing in return. Hopefully Sark builds an elite program and puts the THSCA back in line. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I wonder if it has occurred to any Texas prospects that the weather they are getting right now is what they’d be volunteering for for 4 months in Columbus or Ann Arbor or south bend or happy valley.  

or maybe it’s an even trade off for not having to practice and play in 100 degree heat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven’t seen a single kid we’ve recruited OOS where there’s enough realistic in-state options that are better. Murphy is a much better prospect than Klubnick and we tried for Ewers. There are good WRs in-state, but there aren’t 4-5 that Texas has a chance with that are better than Williams or Coleman. Same for OL. We have a solid top 5 in-states, but odds are low we land all of them. 

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I guess what I failed to get across, is that Murphy is unique - there's no one in Texas like him - so it makes sense in terms of the staff clearly valuing some attributes. 

It's not like we grabbed some polished but athletically-average (for a high-major QB) kid from De La Salle or Mater Dei. Then I'd get the grumpiness a lot more.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Yeah, this is a difference of opinion on specific cases. Gerry (since he seems to be the nexus of the current discussion) doesn't seem to think Murphy has shown himself to be particularly special beyond his arm strength. He views Murphy as better than Klubnik, but not hugely so. Eric and Gerry have a man-crush for Hoover, too. As far as OOS QBs go, Gerry, Gerry prefers the guy that A&M and some of the Big 10 programs have offered: https://247sports.com/player/drew-allar-46096466/

On CJ Williams, the concern seems to be that he's a possession receiver who's not particularly fast or explosive and doesn't have any other plus-plus traits. Eric and Gerry have advanced the opinion that our "big" receiver takes should be guys with untapped athletic potential like Chris Marshall (dual-sport athlete, relatively new to football) or Nicholas Anderson (good all-around player, elite physicality, Rodney Anderson's younger brother).

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, this is a difference of opinion on specific cases. Gerry (since he seems to be the nexus of the current discussion) doesn't seem to think Murphy has shown himself to be particularly special beyond his arm strength. He views Murphy as better than Klubnik, but not hugely so. Eric and Gerry have a man-crush for Hoover, too. As far as OOS QBs go, Gerry, Gerry prefers the guy that A&M and some of the Big 10 programs have offered: https://247sports.com/player/drew-allar-46096466/

On CJ Williams, the concern seems to be that he's a possession receiver who's not particularly fast or explosive and doesn't have any other plus-plus traits. Eric and Gerry have advanced the opinion that our "big" receiver takes should be guys with untapped athletic potential like Chris Marshall (dual-sport athlete, relatively new to football) or Nicholas Anderson (good all-around player, elite physicality, Rodney Anderson's younger brother).

11 minutes ago, maninblack said:

After watching Marshall and CJ Williams give me Marshall.

This is what you call a false equivalency. We’re recruiting both, not picking Williams over Marshall. If Marshall wants in the class, I’m sure we’ll take him. 

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is what you call a false equivalency. We’re recruiting both, not picking Williams over Marshall. If Marshall wants in the class, I’m sure we’ll take him. 

More of a false dichotomy

Give me Thompson, Stewart, Coleman, and the other guy from CA over both of them anyway. And personally I wouldn't take more than 4 WRs

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

More of a false dichotomy

Give me Thompson, Stewart, Coleman, and the other guy from CA over both of them anyway. And personally I wouldn't take more than 4 WRs

Is the other guy in California Larry Turner-Gooden? If so, I thought he was a DB 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

We are absolutely putting Texas first. Quinn is our #1, but HE wants to go out of state. That's not on Texas.

There is no bigger fucking group of pouty hypocritical little bitches than Texas High School Football Coaches. They will gleefully let their 5 and high 4 star kids leave the state all the fucking time, but woe be unto you if you don't kiss their little pampered asses and make them feel special.

Fuck these guys. I am happy to see UT recruit well in the state of Texas, but I frankly if a kid is from Long Beach, CA or Del Rio, TX I can give a shit.

Especially with the transfer portal now, Sark should tell these meathead fucking dipsticks to get fucked, they've never (that I have seen) given UT a bit of preferential treatment in terms of recruiting, in fact it has almost always been the opposite.

Recruit the best fucking, angry football playing motherfuckers you can find, if they happen to come from Texas, great. If not, who gives a shit, I only care about them when they are at UT, where they played HS football means dick to me.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

3-sport athlete Anthony Lucas quickly grew into a football force at Chaparral

Spoiler

Anthony Lucas didn't put his first helmet on until his freshman year.

And that was after talking his dad into letting him play football.

"He wanted me to play just my senior year," Lucas said. "So my mom convinced him enough."

Freakishly athletic at 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, Lucas has stood out on the football field at Scottsdale Chaparral as a defensive line force, leading to 20 major-college football offers.

And his junior season is just now starting on Friday at Scottsdale Saguaro.

Coach Brent Barnes may be using him some at tackle or tight end on offense this year, but he won't miss too many, if any, defensive snaps, moving from the nose to the end.

"He'd be a heck of a tight end," Barnes said. "He'll be able to come in and make some plays. We've already seen it a lot in practice. He moves really well for his size. And obviously, we expect him to be a physical blocker when he's in there.

"He's very natural, too, whether it's running a stick route. He understands spacing, being a basketball player. He handles those things really well. It's kind of natural for him being an athlete."

Lucas said he grew up playing basketball and baseball. He still plays those sports at Chaparral.

"Anthony is a very special person and athlete," Chaparral basketball coach Dan Peterson said. "He brings a genuine excitement and enthusiasm to our program and is always very uplifting towards every player and coach.  He is a fierce competitor and works tirelessly to improve his skill set on the court. 

"Anthony is a natural leader because of his approach to every drill, every practice and every game – he gives every ounce of energy that he has and demands that his teammates do the same,'' he added. "He will play a major role for us over the next two seasons as he continues to develop on the court.  He is definitely an exciting player to watch and to be around.  Perhaps the greatest attribute Anthony possesses is his encouraging demeanor and high character.”

Lucas was convinced to try football by a former Chaparral football player who saw him in the eighth grade when he was checking out his future high school on campus.

"He saw me at orientation and he was like, 'You've got to play football,' " Lucas said.

Lucas is glad he did. Now he's got his pick of Power 5 football program before he leaves Chaparral.

He is rated by The Arizona Republic as the No. 2 overall prospect in the state for the 2022 class, behind Chandler Hamilton quarterback Nicco Marchiol.

Lucas is a 247Sports Composite four-star, rated 11th in the country at defensive tackle in his class. He is rated the seventh-best DT in the nation by 247Sports and 95th overall.

He was able to get some basketball in during a club showcase during the pandemic. And it's been tough to get into the Chaparral weight room with the school closed down for much of the summer.

But he found a way to work and get stronger.

"We haven't been able to get into the gym together, but we all did our own workouts to be prepared for the season," Lucas said. "I think we'll get back into it over time."

Facing the arch rival right off the bat only motivates Lucas. Saguaro won six consecutive state titles before being elevated into the first Open Division playoffs last year, reaching the final before losing to 6A powerhouse Chandler 42-35.

"Hey, it's one of the best teams," Lucas said of Saguaro. "You know we've got to go out there and show it to them."

Saguaro's got maybe the best offensive line in the state, led by Bram Walden and Parker Brailsford.

Lucas knows it's going to be a challenge, but one he looks forward to.

"Bram is a beast," Lucas said. "It's going to be a tough challenge."

Barnes got after his players after Monday's morning practice, feeling there wasn't enough energy, especially this being Week 1 since the pandemic shut down spring ball last May and with Saguaro on tap.

But he knows he's got an experienced team, the result of so many injuries to starters last year that forced backups to get time.

One of those guys is junior quarterback Brayten Silbor, who started for an injured Jack Miller in last year's game against Saguaro and passed for 301 yards and a touchdown, completing 23 of 40 passes in a 38-24 loss.

"He has that personality, doesn't get too high, doesn't get too low," Barnes said. "He's very even keel. There's never going to be a moment too big. He's not going to get too amped up.

"He just goes about his business. That's been very productive for him. And I think it calms the nerves of our guys."

Silbor is surrounded by playmakers, from running back Jared Williams (1,000-yard rusher, 21 TDs last season) to receivers Max Minor (30 catches, 534 yards, five TDs) and Capri Hamilton (40 catches, 398 yards, three TDs). Lukas Garvey, a 6-5, 230-pound junior tight end, is expected to make an impact.

"We'll be able to manage," Lucas said.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

3-sport athlete Anthony Lucas quickly grew into a football force at Chaparral

Reveal hidden contents

Anthony Lucas didn't put his first helmet on until his freshman year.

And that was after talking his dad into letting him play football.

"He wanted me to play just my senior year," Lucas said. "So my mom convinced him enough."

Freakishly athletic at 6-foot-5, 285 pounds, Lucas has stood out on the football field at Scottsdale Chaparral as a defensive line force, leading to 20 major-college football offers.

And his junior season is just now starting on Friday at Scottsdale Saguaro.

Coach Brent Barnes may be using him some at tackle or tight end on offense this year, but he won't miss too many, if any, defensive snaps, moving from the nose to the end.

"He'd be a heck of a tight end," Barnes said. "He'll be able to come in and make some plays. We've already seen it a lot in practice. He moves really well for his size. And obviously, we expect him to be a physical blocker when he's in there.

"He's very natural, too, whether it's running a stick route. He understands spacing, being a basketball player. He handles those things really well. It's kind of natural for him being an athlete."

Lucas said he grew up playing basketball and baseball. He still plays those sports at Chaparral.

"Anthony is a very special person and athlete," Chaparral basketball coach Dan Peterson said. "He brings a genuine excitement and enthusiasm to our program and is always very uplifting towards every player and coach.  He is a fierce competitor and works tirelessly to improve his skill set on the court. 

"Anthony is a natural leader because of his approach to every drill, every practice and every game – he gives every ounce of energy that he has and demands that his teammates do the same,'' he added. "He will play a major role for us over the next two seasons as he continues to develop on the court.  He is definitely an exciting player to watch and to be around.  Perhaps the greatest attribute Anthony possesses is his encouraging demeanor and high character.”

Lucas was convinced to try football by a former Chaparral football player who saw him in the eighth grade when he was checking out his future high school on campus.

"He saw me at orientation and he was like, 'You've got to play football,' " Lucas said.

Lucas is glad he did. Now he's got his pick of Power 5 football program before he leaves Chaparral.

He is rated by The Arizona Republic as the No. 2 overall prospect in the state for the 2022 class, behind Chandler Hamilton quarterback Nicco Marchiol.

Lucas is a 247Sports Composite four-star, rated 11th in the country at defensive tackle in his class. He is rated the seventh-best DT in the nation by 247Sports and 95th overall.

He was able to get some basketball in during a club showcase during the pandemic. And it's been tough to get into the Chaparral weight room with the school closed down for much of the summer.

But he found a way to work and get stronger.

"We haven't been able to get into the gym together, but we all did our own workouts to be prepared for the season," Lucas said. "I think we'll get back into it over time."

Facing the arch rival right off the bat only motivates Lucas. Saguaro won six consecutive state titles before being elevated into the first Open Division playoffs last year, reaching the final before losing to 6A powerhouse Chandler 42-35.

"Hey, it's one of the best teams," Lucas said of Saguaro. "You know we've got to go out there and show it to them."

Saguaro's got maybe the best offensive line in the state, led by Bram Walden and Parker Brailsford.

Lucas knows it's going to be a challenge, but one he looks forward to.

"Bram is a beast," Lucas said. "It's going to be a tough challenge."

Barnes got after his players after Monday's morning practice, feeling there wasn't enough energy, especially this being Week 1 since the pandemic shut down spring ball last May and with Saguaro on tap.

But he knows he's got an experienced team, the result of so many injuries to starters last year that forced backups to get time.

One of those guys is junior quarterback Brayten Silbor, who started for an injured Jack Miller in last year's game against Saguaro and passed for 301 yards and a touchdown, completing 23 of 40 passes in a 38-24 loss.

"He has that personality, doesn't get too high, doesn't get too low," Barnes said. "He's very even keel. There's never going to be a moment too big. He's not going to get too amped up.

"He just goes about his business. That's been very productive for him. And I think it calms the nerves of our guys."

Silbor is surrounded by playmakers, from running back Jared Williams (1,000-yard rusher, 21 TDs last season) to receivers Max Minor (30 catches, 534 yards, five TDs) and Capri Hamilton (40 catches, 398 yards, three TDs). Lukas Garvey, a 6-5, 230-pound junior tight end, is expected to make an impact.

"We'll be able to manage," Lucas said.

Come Here Dr Evil GIF

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting