Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

For all the talk about how stacked the State of Texas was at OL, this year is significantly better. Campbell, Banks, Dewberry, Neto, Robertson and the Odessa kid we just offered. Plus, you have the CA OT who might be interested now that Murphy’s committed, plus Flood has made other national offers. I’m becoming cautiously optimistic that we’ll land a really good OL class this year, likely the best in over a decade. Herman cleaned cleaned up in 2018, but even then he didn’t do much at OL. 

Has anyone who's confident in evaluating OL spent time with the oos offer tape? Trying to get a feel for the board and it appears the tackle from Washington is underranked, but I'm not confident about that. 

15 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

247 is apparently having a "crystal ball day" or something dumb like that, basically pushing their writers to put in picks. So we'll probably see a lot more action but not necessarily indicative of any developments

So they are deciding to devalue their product in order to have a day of sub adds in the February before signing day. Sounds about right. These guys aren't just bad at evaluations, they are bad at business too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Michigan guy just CB'd Anderson and Llewellyn to us fwiw (not a lot).

As an ethnically Welsh human, I'd be very happy to see a Llewellyn in Austin.

When I used to play NCAA FB, I would always have a recruit named Llewellyn.  Could be Mike Llewellyn or Tyrone Llewelyn.  Interesting algorithm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Where were you when we needed you in ‘84? ESPN (SI?) hyperbolically claimed that the Freedom Bowl was Iowa’s biggest win ever.

I’ve tried striking up CFB talk with exactly two Iowa fans in my life. The first was a guy at a company I just started at in ‘86. It was probably my first experience having a non-rival shit-talking... about a game that happened 18 months earlier. He had no interest in friendly banter, even though I feigned interest in their upcoming season.

The second was with a new neighbor a few houses down. This was after I moved to the Midwest. He was dismissive of even discussing football, like a non-Iowa fan couldn’t possibly know the sport. Truly bizarre as this was circa 2008 and Ferentz sucks at being mediocre.

Do Iowa fans need a different approach?

In utero.

Iowa fans are damned odd.  A lot of them think they're some kind of blue blood.  I always thought maybe they just acted that way towards ISU fans, but given your anecdote, it's a bit more widespread.  I know a lot of them who've cooled that mindset in recent years, but from their first great season under Ferentz (2002) until the last 3-4 seasons, they've had a collective arrogance that's equal parts hilarious and maddening.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In utero.

Iowa fans are damned odd.  A lot of them think they're some kind of blue blood.  I always thought maybe they just acted that way towards ISU fans, but given your anecdote, it's a bit more widespread.  I know a lot of them who've cooled that mindset in recent years, but from their first great season under Ferentz (2002) until the last 3-4 seasons, they've had a collective arrogance that's equal parts hilarious and maddening.

Iowa is a blue blood....in men's wrestling.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And what if I told you the top picture was Ewers scrambling and throwing in the run while being pursued. Does that change anything for you?

Then I'd have to watch the play because his feet seem wrong for that scenario. Athletic QBs throwing on the run throw with their right foot on the ground, not their left. The left leg swing forward balances the arm motion during the throw in that situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT Recruiting Matters: OOS offers talk Texas, RB still wanted and one Cali target is a long shot

Spoiler

Under Steve Sarkisian, the Texas Longhorns will be much more aggressive offering out of state prospects early and often.

In the last couple of weeks, the offers have been flying out of Austin. Today, IT has thoughts from several out of state prospects on their offer from Texas.

Oscar Delp, TE, West Forsyth (GA):
“It was an honor to get an offer from them. Texas is a great program and I believe Coach Sarkisian is building something great. It’s definitely a school I look forward to visiting in the future.”

The 6-foot-5, 225-pound Peach State prospect said the Longhorns would have made a freshly released top 13 if offered sooner. All programs in contention are looking up at Michigan and Georgia at this point.

Niuafe Tuihalamaka, ILB, Bishop Alemany (CA):
“It’s definitely a place I know I can fit in really well because it’s surrounded with coaches that have a championship mind, as well as Coach Sark being a coach that has been there.”

The 6-foot-2, 238-pound former USC verbal lists Oregon, Stanford, Notre Dame, Texas, and Florida as the top five.

“No specific order though.”

Malik Agbo, OT, Todd Beamer (WA):
“Yeah I knew that Coach Sarkisian had left Bama to Texas and as soon as I heard the news, I was like 'oh yeah this is going to be good!!!' Back when Coach Flood and Coach Sarkisian were at Bama I had a really strong relationship with those guys, and I think that carries over to Austin. The love from the staff and people there is unmatched!!!!”

When the near 6-foot-6, 320-pound tackle with long arms got the call from Sarkisian, he knew Texas was under strong leadership.

“When I had got the call from Coach Sarkisian and we talked, I knew that Texas is in good hands. It's a special place to build your brand and be a part of something amazing!!! When I got the offer it was like it was something that I’ve been looking forward to for a while. And now that I have the opportunity to play in an offense that fits me and be a part of a great program like UT is something special!”

Texas has instantly become a program that legitimately has a chance to sign the powerful tackle.

“I would say Miami, LSU, Arizona State, and Oklahoma are real close contenders as well!!!”

Home state Washington, Oregon, and Alabama are also considered serious contenders, if not the front runners.

Josh Conerly Jr., OT, Rainier Beach (WA):
“Huge offer for me especially when you get offered by Coach Sark twice.”

USC, Oregon, Alabama and Oklahoma are setting the pace in the 6-foot-5, 280-pounder's recruitment.

RB Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy (2022):
Miller is still getting the sale.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound four-star tailback still hears from Texas, OU, Baylor, and others. And UT reminds him he’s still wanted.

“(Texas coaches) said that I am one of their top guys,” said Miller. “They think I’ll make a big impact on the school. “

He hears from Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris often. He’s still a target for the 2022 cycle that UT desires. Miller and Trevonte’ Citizen are the most likely candidates to to fill the second RB spot.

RB Tre Wisner, Waco Connally (2023):

The Waco product has seen his recruitment skyrocket over the last month. Texas jumped in too.

“(Texas) told me that they watched my film and they really don’t just throw offers out,” Wisner explained. “That they like how I had balance whenever I got hit while running the ball, and I am the second running back to get offered for 2023.”

Wisner has a list of things to improve on.

“I really want to work on getting bigger,” said Wisner. “I’m only 6-foot-0, 'bout 180, and I know I’ve got two more years. I’m going take my off-season time to get bigger and also work on my footwork getting better.”

OL Harris Sewell, Odessa Permian (2023):

The West Texas kid has always liked the Longhorns. When that offer came, he was all smiles.

At 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, Sewell holds offers from Texas A&M, Baylor, and others.

“He was super nice,” Sewell said about Coach Sarkisian. “He just said he loves how I play and thinks I would be a great fit at UT.”

It’s early, but Sewell knows what he wants in a college program.

“I want good coaches and a team that has the capability of winning football games,” Sewell said. “Texas is definitely one of the top places.”

CB Larry Turner-Gooden, St. Bernard (Playa Del Ray, CA) (2022):
The 5-foot-11, 170-pound defensive back is close to Texas pledge Maalik Murphy, but it’ll take some work to get him to Austin.

He’s a USC lean and almost committed recently. Then USC coach Chris Claiborne left for Arizona State, and now it's Trojans and Sun Devils setting the pace.

He’s a prospect that really enjoys the process, and is eager to visit Austin at some point. He wants to decide at one of the all star games, but it’s unlikely the Longhorns have a DB spot remaining at that point.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Lol, this forum has become TexAgs. Either you drink the coolaid or you get negged. Euphoria is at its peak when there is a new coaching staff and the lowest after year 3. Rinse and repeat.

how did we crowdsource Carl in .2 seconds but this guy is still hanging around?

imagine spending two seconds around here and two seconds at TexAgs and thinking "yeah, these are the same"

the bowl of dicks comment is both relevant and accurate in this case.

Fuck Off Jerry Ferrara GIF by Power

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So Harris is moving to QBs and taking on an expanded title of Director of Recruiting - but really that role is all but going away and leaving Drayton back to his own devices. 

That sound you hear is the sound of the "set up the program like Bama" bullshit dying a wheezing death with each successive decision/hire/move by this staff. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

So Harris is moving to QBs and taking on an expanded title of Director of Recruiting - but really that role is all but going away and leaving Drayton back to his own devices. 

That sound you hear is the sound of the "set up the program like Bama" bullshit dying a wheezing death with each successive decision/hire/move by this staff. 

You got to have a director of recruiting first, then go grab another asst RB coach that is big on recruiting and go from there. 

All this moves shows is that there is a viable progression at the asst to the position coach role. 

The recruiting coordinator role plus the previous RB role behind Drayton will just set up Harris to be a standard rainmaker RB coach in the future. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

But Roach says he's going to be super involved!

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

how did we crowdsource Carl in .2 seconds but this guy is still hanging around?

imagine spending two seconds around here and two seconds at TexAgs and thinking "yeah, these are the same"

the bowl of dicks comment is both relevant and accurate in this case.

Fuck Off Jerry Ferrara GIF by Power

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Well uh.. I don't know if you noticed, but the hay is in the barn already for our '22 RB class. Seems like the RB room is ok at the moment. 

Nick Harris on a few predictions

Spoiler

- Fort Bend (Texas) Marshall three-star wide receiver Chris Marshall exploded onto the scene this past season with huge numbers and production in his first season playing high school football, and the recruiting attention followed. Marshall is a guy that I full expect to get a high rating in the 2022 class update as he possesses a huge frame and elite ball skills. Texas A&M and USC jumped out in front in this one, and the Aggies are starting to separate themselves. I have entered a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Texas A&M with a confidence score of 5. I wouldn't count the Trojans out just yet though as they have been making a huge recruiting push in the Houston area in the 2022 class, especially since the hiring of Bryan Carrington.

- Rockwall-Heath (Texas) three-star running back Zach Evans has seen a good amount of recruiting attention come his way since the conclusion of his junior season. Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton has done a great job building a relationship with Evans dating back to last summer, but I think the Longhorns will come in second in this race. Notre Dame has put together an intriguing pitch around their academic program, recent on-field success and an opportunity to contribute early, and sources indicate that the Fighting Irish may be close to sealing the deal. I have entered a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of Notre Dame with a confidence score of 8.

- Arlington (Texas) Bowie five-star guard Devon Campbell has been trending towards Texas since before his junior season, and that continues to be the case. Campbell is letting the recruiting process play out, but Texas continues to hold an advantage, even after the coaching turnover. I have entered a Crystal Ball Prediction in favor of the Longhorns with a confidence score of 6. However, the longer this one plays out, the less confident I feel about Texas' chances. This is one that the Longhorns could really benefit off of with a commitment this spring.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

What makes you say that?

I don't know about the "all but going away", but combining it with an actual coaching role seems like a middling sign in terms of us putting resources behind the program. Look at Bama with their two strength and conditioning coaches and single-purpose Director of Recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't know about the "all but going away", but combining it with an actual coaching role seems like a middling sign in terms of us putting resources behind the program. Look at Bama with their two strength and conditioning coaches and single-purpose Director of Recruiting.

Who is Bama's single-purpose Director of Recruiting?  Is it this woman?

https://rolltide.com/staff-directory/ashleigh-kimble/319

Edit: Nevermind, I guess it is Daniel Bush.

Edited by Texas Wahoo

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Has anyone who's confident in evaluating OL spent time with the oos offer tape? Trying to get a feel for the board and it appears the tackle from Washington is underranked, but I'm not confident about that. 

There is the guy who live in cdl near Spokane who had good insight last year. I don’t know how often he lurks though.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Weren't Milwee and Applewhite both QB analysts at Bama last year? And they presumably would have had a separate Director of Recruiting.

Meanwhile we seem to have Brandon Harris managing both roles here, with JW Walsh returning to Okie Lite.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, satyanash said:

Weren't Milwee and Applewhite both QB analysts at Bama last year? And they presumably would have had a separate Director of Recruiting.

Meanwhile we seem to have Brandon Harris managing both roles here, with JW Walsh returning to Okie Lite.

To be fair, we can have as many analysts as we want - not sure if we've hired any other QB analysts specifically, but there's usually a few around at each position.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting