Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Just now, closetojumping said:

So odd, the timing. But hey, I’m at my prime from noon to 2 am, so, fuck it, awesome. This is my kind of guy. 

I’m a west coaster, so this will be one of the few times I can beat TARS or any one other of you obsessed psychopaths. 

• Haha 4

Mike Roach: Texas adds commitment from elite wide receiver Evan Stewart

Texas landed a massive commitment today in the form of Evan Stewart. The four-star Frisco (Texas) Liberty wide receiver chose the Longhorns over offers from Alabama, Oregon, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Notre Dame and Texas A&M.

Stewart was originally offered by Texas over the spring and pursued hard. His relationship was mainly with Jay Valai, but Andre Coleman picked up the torch when Steve Sarkisian’s tenure began and the Longhorns were able to close him quickly. A dynamic speedster, Stewart sees himself much like Devonta Smith, and Sarkisian’s work with the 2020 Heisman Trophy winner wasn’t something he could look away from.

Stewart joins four-star Armani Winfield as the second wide receiver in the 2022 recruiting class. Winfield and Stewart along with four-star Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau, five-star Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra quarterback Maalik Murphy and three-star Arlington Martin linebacker Trevell Johnson make up the 2022 class.

Texas is looking to take a big skill position group in Sarkisian’s first year.  With speed at a premium, the Longhorns will try to add other prospects at the position like Spearman (Texas) athlete Brenen Thompson and Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei wide receiver C.J. Williams. Stewart is one of the best pure athletes in the country owning a 10.74 100-meter time, 21.08 200 meter time, a long jump of 24-6 and a triple jump of 47-9.

As a junior at Frisco Liberty, Stewart accounted for 913 yards and 9 touchdowns on 46 receptions. His career totals are 1,670 yards and 16 touchdowns on 89 receptions. Stewart trains with Sarkisian’s former college teammate Margin Hooks and plays for the select 7-on-7 club Texas Flex which is based in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks describes Stewart in the following way.

“Adequate-sized receiver with lean, athletic build. Can play from the outside and the slot. Dangerous vertically and in run-after-catch scenarios. Explosive playmaking ability in the open field. Owner of one of the best track and field profiles in the 2022 class. Personal records include 10.74 100, 21.08 200, 24-6 long jump, and 47-9 triple jump. Athleticism translates to the gridiron. Gets on top of corners quickly and flashes runaway speed. Shows good acceleration. Quick-footed and should possess high ceiling as a route-runner. Springy in 50-50 situations and can go up and get it in traffic. Can more consistently leverage DB's into breaks. Filling out and getting stronger will help transition to facing high-major DB's, as a pass-catcher and a perimeter blocker. One of the top offensive prospects in Texas for 2022. Could become an all-conference wideout at the P5 level with long-term early-round NFL Draft potential.”

At 6-feet, 175 pounds, Stewart is ranked as the No. 5 wide receiver in the nation and No. 8 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Justin Cook: Evan Stewart commits to Texas

Evan Stewart has speed. Now, Texas has speed. The 2022 wide receiver from Frisco Liberty committed to Texas today, choosing the Longhorns over 30 other schools including Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas A&M, and USC. During Liberty’s nine-game 2020 season, Stewart caught 44 passes for 906 yards and eight touchdowns. He added one more touchdown on the ground.

Stewart posted a personal best 10.74 100m during the shortened 2020 track season. He also ran a 21.08 200m at The Colony Cougar Invitational last March. In addition to the sprints, he participates in both the long and triple jump.

Eric Nahlin on Stewart (5/19/20)

As a player: Single-handedly threatens the whole field, whether as a vertical threat on the outside or running sweeps from the slot. Speed is evident as he chews up cushion off the line of scrimmage. Also evident when forced to get more than ideal depth on sweeps but still able to pick up positive yards. More than a speed guy, shows an array of catch types — over the shoulder, contested, over the middle. Good vision with the ball in his hands and solid play strength as a runner. Stewart can do anything asked of the position, but as competition levels increase some traits may not accompany him. Typically there’s some drop off in college as everybody’s traits are competing to survive, then if a player makes it further, even more drop off in the NFL. That speed, however? That will always be with him. If all of his traits don’t follow him, could he still be Ted Ginn? Maybe so. That speed gives him both a safe floor and high ceiling as a college prospect.

Stewart is the sixth member of Texas’ 2022 class joining Trevell Johnson (Arlington Martin), Maalik Murphy (Junipero Serra – CA), Jaydon Blue (Klein Cain), Armani Winfield (Lewisville), and Jaylon Guilbeau (Port Arthur Memorial).

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

I’m a west coaster, so this will be one of the few times I can beat TARS or any one other of you obsessed psychopaths. 

Well, being first isn’t my thing, so, congrats to you guys. I often can’t predict where I’ll be, much like Evan Stewart and his commitment proclivities. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting