Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

17 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Blue already is the best RB in state and I think when it's all said and done, Stewart will also be the state's top ranked WR

I thought the post I was responding to was talking about #1 in the country, but maybe not 

Just now, satyanash said:

Looks like we don't have very many friends at Aledo. Especially If this was Johnathan Gray's doing.

Doesn't bode well for BJ

Christ, man. This is bad even by your standards. 

TE is an easy sell for them, JTS is in the class ahead of him, and we have more prospects in the fire. So....maybe calm down a little. 

12 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Llewellyn committed to OU.

Ha, while I was writing about the OU insert in his recruitment from Gerry.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Looks like we don't have very many friends at Aledo. Especially If this was Johnathan Gray's doing.

Doesn't bode well for BJ

This wasn't Johnathan Gray's doing. Christ. He's not running around Aledo screaming "Texas sucks!" or going to players' houses and having dinner with their parents and lamenting his time at Texas so the players go elsewhere. Get a fucking grip.

Also, Allen and Llewellyn aren't a fucking package deal. Maybe he winds up at OU too, but this is unrelated. Your ability to immediately jump to the first conclusion you can wrap your head around that negatively implicates Texas is somewhat stunning.

• Hook 'Em 5

People on other boards think that missing on Llewellyn will lead to us skipping TE this cycle, but I think it's pretty clear he wants to take someone at the position. Here are some of his recent TE twitter follows for this cycle.

https://247sports.com/Player/Owen-Anderson-46114040/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/5659957/Connor-Ivey

https://247sports.com/player/cody-mladenka-46098066/

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

People on other boards think that missing on Llewellyn will lead to us skipping TE this cycle, but I think it's pretty clear he wants to take someone at the position. Here are some of his recent TE twitter follows for this cycle.

https://247sports.com/Player/Owen-Anderson-46114040/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/5659957/Connor-Ivey

https://247sports.com/player/cody-mladenka-46098066/

I will be fucking shocked if Banks doesn't get to sign a TE in this class. 

SIAP - from 2/17

Horns 247 / Mike Roach/ Texas tradition has Longhorns in the mix for four-star tight end Holden Staes

Spoiler

Texas tradition has Longhorns in the mix for four-star tight end Holden Staes
MIKE ROACH

Holden Staes has been evaluating schools since decommitting from Penn State.

The four-star tight end from Atlanta (GA.) Westminster School holds 25 offers and is back on the market with an open mind. Texas entered the fray for Staes shortly after the new coaching staff arrived, and he said the Texas offer is a big one.

“It’s definitely a big offer for me and one that I will consider as I continue to build my relationship with coach Banks and the rest of the staff,” Staes said. “I love what coach Sark did at Bama these past few years and I can definitely see myself playing in that system.”

Staes has a relationship with Jeff Banks going back to his time at Alabama. Now that Banks is in Austin, Staes said that Texas checks a lot of boxes for him.

“I love the Texas brand and fan base,” he said. “It’s definitely one of the biggest in college football and the opportunity to be a part of what they are about to do is big for me. Coach Banks is coming from a successful program like Bama. That’s big because he knows how to develop and create a championship mentality amongst the team and the tight end room.”

Now that he is evaluating schools with new eyes following his decommitment, Staes has a list of things he wants to find in a school.

“Relationship with the staff is big,” he said. “The way the offense is incorporating the tight end matters too. It has to be a balance of good academics with big time football.”

Staes isn’t in any sort of hurry to make a decision. He wants to slow his process down and see if the NCAA opens up visits.

“It definitely won’t be any time soon,” he said. “I’m going to take the process slow and visit all of the schools I need to see and then I’ll go from there.”

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Staes is ranked as the No. 6 tight end in the nation and No. 22 overall prospect in Georgia, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

By: Eric, Justin, and Gerry

RECRUITING

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty (TEXAS): The elite receiver picked Texas over Alabama and Oregon, and instantly injects speed into the receiving corps. Why UT? The new staff and NIL definitely helped. Texas not only adds elite athleticism to the class, but also another recruiter.

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook: *Affixes pointy birthday hat, blows birthday thingy where the paper rolls out and spells #22EFFECT”

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie: There’s a swell of potential momentum bubbling with in-state offensive linemen and Texas, and the 6-foot-4, 300-pound four-star is paying attention. This is an interesting recruitment because Campbell could possibly be talked off his late timeline, but his family is steadfast he goes through the process to ensure he’s made the most informed decision possible. As we’ve been saying for a long time, even dating to the previous staff, Texas is in great shape. 

DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore: The big man who played at Port Arthur Memorial as freshmen when Texas signee Jordon Thomas and commit Jaylon Guilbeau were stars will announce his school choice on March 23rd. This class continues to add big pieces this spring and Ross would be a large one. Along with Bremond’s Jaray Bledsoe, Ross is high priority and the Texas staff likes its chances.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek and OL Kameron Dewberry, Atascosita: Texas' 2022 ringleader Jaydon Blue is working hard on these two. In tandem with Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian, it’s been working. You know IT’s stance on Banks, we’ve been predicting him in the class for the last few weeks. Texas isn’t quite in the same spot with Dewberry, but UT’s positioning has improved since the new hires were made and continues to do so with each big commitment. How many times have we written “top recruits want to play with fellow top recruits?”

DE Ernest Cooper IV, Arlington Martin: Martin LB, team leader, and Texas verbal Trevell Johnson is hard at work recruiting the 6-foot-4, 240-pound end. While IT still considers Stanford the clear team to beat, there is at least some growing optimism with UT’s chances within the recruiting ranks. If that time comes we’ll let you know when to get excited. This is a recruitment Jeff Banks, Pete Kwiatkowski, and Steve Sarkisian are working.

DL Zac Swanson, Brophy Prep (Phoenix, AZ): Texas has a real shot for Swanson and if he wanted to commit he’d be welcomed to do so. Swanson’s father was a quality player for Stanford in the mid-90’s, which means Zac, like the rest of us, doesn’t much care for Cal. Like most of us, his grades aren’t quite good enough for Stanford. He’s looking to get out of state with Texas the school he wants to visit first when visits are restored sometime in 2027. He‘s had his eyes on Texas since the new staff was hired. USC and Oregon are also schools to watch.

DL Caden Curry, Center Grove (Greenwood, IN): Curry is a similar fit to Swanson as a swing-lineman who can play outside-in. He’s more highly rated and likely destined to Ohio State, but a source outside of the market tells us Curry had a good talk with Bo Davis last night.

In last Friday’s installment we wrote about six recruits and six recruits only. Those were Maalik Murphy, Trevell Johnson, Evan Stewart, Bryce Anderson, Kelvin Banks, and Landon Hullaby. There was much more angst over the class just a week ago which is why we wrote this would be funny in hindsight. We’re feeling pretty good about UT going 6/6 with that group.

• Hook 'Em 9

I'll put this here as well, IT summarized PK's clinic. Has some relevance to our front 7 recruiting.

Spoiler

PK AT THE LONE STAR CLINIC

Pete Kwiatkowski is a very detailed dude, very big on fundamentals much like Chris Ash was in his presentation last year when he came to Texas. He talked a lot about the way he teaches pass rush and tackling and also a little on how he likes to structure his fronts, including against spread teams like he'll face in the Big 12.

Kwiatkowski also broke down his process for scheming up his fronts and gameplanning opponents. They were a base 3-4 defense at Washington but rarely used it. Usually they played a "nickel front" which for them was more four-down with the "Jack linebacker" as the field side/strongside defensive end and the "X linebacker" as the weakside end/outside linebacker. He said they liked for both of those guys to be in the 6-2+ and 260-pound range but it rarely works out like that. They normally install the defense with the Jack to the field and X to the boundary but after install they'll get more flexible and move guys around based on gameplanning.

He said they'd do the gameplanning on Sunday and Monday and then work through stopping the run and situational work throughout the week. He will have the gameplan ready early to guide practice but spend the week watching more film on offensive coordinators to get a feel for how they call plays and attack defenses during a game. He also noted he doesn't like to have too many auto-checks against certain offensive formations or motions. He wants to be able to send in a call and have all his players feel confident about it. If you start using auto-checks then teams start to know what you're in and can catch you in a bad spot. His new boss Steve Sarkisian has a lot of film proving that's true.

He also puts a big emphasis on red zone defense and gameplanning for those moments with packages and calls. He'll match up with whatever the offense wants to do. As an example, he's had goal line packages with six defensive linemen and a single cornerback if they need to check an offense in a jumbo set.

Those details mostly came in Q&A.

For his presentation he focused on his drills and techniques for pass-rushing and tackling. The tackling stuff is much of the same rugby style techniques Chris Ash emphasized, aiming for the bottom of the numbers to the knees and shoulder tackling. His drills work to teach guys to make decisions on the fly and to avoid head-up tackles. Many of his drills also avoid having to take guys to the ground all the time in practice.

Kwiatkowski's philosophy for drills is to create second nature reactions for his players with all their techniques, both in tackling and in the pass rush. He teaches a pass rush progression in which his guys start by establishing a power rush but will choose their pass rush and know their plan by their second step based on the pass set by the offensive lineman. Again, all of his drills and teaching are designed to try and make this habitual so they aren't thinking in games.

He gets them in a sprinter stance when it's time to rush, always works on bending, and he has a bunch of NFL players he's coached he draws on for examples. The same clips he shared with us are surely being sent to recruits.

The defensive philosophy in the pass rush is oriented around containing and affecting the quarterback, when they rush three they teach the guys to contain or move the quarterback. Even though he's having them explode from their get-off he's not going to let them blow by the quarterback.

It sounds like he's going to rely on the defensive front to do a lot of work for the defense, which is a good way to go against spread teams.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

I just realized Gerry literally copy-pasted this article from last week, throwing in Stewart's name as a commit:

Either that or he's very fond of comparing Jacob Sexton to Bryan Pickryl, and/or has an obsession with pitching washers.

Those washers have been frozen solidly in place since last week.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting