Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

The "maybe he's a take as a TE" angle to the Phaizon imbroglio (which seems like bullshit) has me curious about TE evaluation.
It would be too easy to just take a WR who's at least 6'3" with a big frame and assume he can add the weight and play the (TE) position. Malcom Epps is a good, disappointing example.
Seems like there are plenty of guys with the size/frame to play the position. Is it super rare these guys also move well and have decent hands? Is it harder than I assume to become a competent blocker? Are talented prospects missed because not enough college offenses make good use of a well-rounded TE?
I would think after the impact Kelce, Waller, et al. are making in the NFL that more HS kids would be interested in playing TE and therefore college coaches could get some kind of recruiting advantage by emphasizing the position. Throwing it out there for discussion's sake.

Have we confirmed Wilson got kicked off the team? Usually that type of stuff shows up in the news somewhere, I couldn’t find anything about it.

Anyways, I don’t want to take him right now, but I’d get no joy out of it if he really is trying to commit and is getting rebuffed. I’d mostly just feel secondhand embarrassment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Have we confirmed Wilson got kicked off the team? Usually that type of stuff shows up in the news somewhere, I couldn’t find anything about it.

Anyways, I don’t want to take him right now, but I’d get no joy out of it if he really is trying to commit and is getting rebuffed. I’d mostly just feel secondhand embarrassment.

I posted it and it comes from someone that's been pretty fucking right about recruiting over the years, but it's not like I've seen transcripts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dangle said:

The "maybe he's a take as a TE" angle to the Phaizon imbroglio (which seems like bullshit) has me curious about TE evaluation.
It would be too easy to just take a WR who's at least 6'3" with a big frame and assume he can add the weight and play the (TE) position. Malcom Epps is a good, disappointing example.
Seems like there are plenty of guys with the size/frame to play the position. Is it super rare these guys also move well and have decent hands? Is it harder than I assume to become a competent blocker? Are talented prospects missed because not enough college offenses make good use of a well-rounded TE?
I would think after the impact Kelce, Waller, et al. are making in the NFL that more HS kids would be interested in playing TE and therefore college coaches could get some kind of recruiting advantage by emphasizing the position. Throwing it out there for discussion's sake.

My completely uninformed speculation is that if I kid views himself as a receiver he’s not going to want to gain the weight necessary to be an effective blocking TE. I was a safety, and my HS coach wanted me to put on some weight and play LB.  It was a reasonable request.  I was also the small forward on the basketball team.  Those two things were in conflict with each other and I had to make a choice.  I chose basketball, and it was probably the wrong choice in retrospect.  I simply had no desire to bulk up like that.  It went against how I viewed myself athletically.  You see it on defense with a guy like Overshown’s resistance to playing LB.

14 minutes ago, Dangle said:

Not mangy guys want to switch from WR to TE. It usually has to be a situation where their only chance of playing at a P5 or elite school is at TE, and even then, learning blocking for the position isn’t easy and takes full buy in from the player. It’s a lot more common to see guys switch from QB in HS to TE, like Kelce did. Wiley and Foristall (Bama TE) too. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not mangy guys want to switch from WR to TE. It usually has to be a situation where their only chance of playing at a P5 or elite school is at TE, and even then, learning blocking for the position isn’t easy and takes full buy in from the player. It’s a lot more common to see guys switch from QB in HS to TE, like Kelce did. Wiley and Foristall (Bama TE) too. 

And Swoopes. Oh, wait

• Haha 1

My completely uninformed speculation is that if I kid views himself as a receiver he’s not going to want to gain the weight necessary to be an effective blocking TE. I was a safety, and my HS coach wanted me to put on some weight and play LB.  It was a reasonable request.  I was also the small forward on the basketball team.  Those two things were in conflict with each other and I had to make a choice.  I chose basketball, and it was probably the wrong choice in retrospect.  I simply had no desire to bulk up like that.  It went against how I viewed myself athletically.  You see it on defense with a guy like Overshown’s resistance to playing LB.
So you're one of those pre-madonnas? Foregoing the opportunity to man up and play a more physical position. Physicality on which the game was originated. And you took it a step further and opted for basketball. Alrighty.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:
22 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

So you're one of those pre-madonnas? Foregoing the opportunity to man up and play a more physical position. Physicality on which the game was originated. And you took it a step further and opted for basketball. Alrighty.

lol whose sock is this

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Had Enough said:
25 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I'm thinking he's a millennial, so post-madonna most likely

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Theres too much smoke for it not to be us. Blue said more news today, Murphy quoted the tweet, Phaizons twitter is very pro Texas, and he just got Fong'd but none of it makes any sense lmao.

What makes sense is that Phaizon has told current recruits that he’s going to commit to Texas but the coaches are not willing to take him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Redmen62 said:

What makes sense is that Phaizon has told current recruits that he’s going to commit to Texas but the coaches are not willing to take him. 

Sadly this is probably right. Seems like those guys like him so hopefully no feathers get ruffled by Phaizon being a dumbass 

53 minutes ago, Dangle said:

We had this debate as nauseam with LJH- there are a bunch of guys who are 6’3/6’4 200-210 and yet have zero chance of getting to 230-240 to play TE while keeping their athleticism. You can’t necessarily just add TE bulk to a guy regardless of frame. 

11 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

In Sark we trust. He has more information than some phat cheeto stuffing wanna be recruiting guru. The only thing that tub of lard has ever scooped was some chips during happy hour at the Landing Strip.

Didn't @golfclap tell you, trust the coaches is a lazy and stupid take and your a bad person and intelligent enough to see the stupidity of this take.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Look at virtually every WR and TE we recruited in the Bobby Kennedy era for a primer on how well the “let’s just bulk up this 6’3” 200 lb WR who is a step too slow to play outside and make him a TE instead” philosophy works.  

The profile should be more like taking power forward sized guys who you don’t expect to balloon up to lineman weight in college.  6’6” 230 like Wiley in high school is a pretty good profile.  

PJ Tucker would have been one hell of a TE.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

Texas finally hired a DPP and he's a meathead and certainly not a top tier DPP...       the DPP and his staff need to be ensuring that the bottom 8 guys in each class are better evals than our competition. That our secondary and tertiary choices are capable of landing on the 2-deep and contributing if we miss on our first options. It's a fucking meh hire. 

My expectations for Texas are to compete at an elite level, this hire is not a top tier hire. If you are happy with it - good for you - that's your expectation level. 

for me - this sums it up

CheeryCheerfulLamb-small.gif

I am amped as fuck that we landed Stewart and Blue. I am amped that the 2022 class is going to be really fucking good across the board. I also make a point to be realistic, for instance Stan Drayton is fucking terrible at his job and I've been saying this since what 2018? maybe even earlier, probably late in the 2017 season. That doesn't mean I don't love Bijan, Roshcon, et al and it doesn't mean that I changed my donation level or season tickets. (CDC's continued employment will very much change any paltry contributions that I do make because he's fucking terrible).

You can very much love the Longhorns and hate some of the coaches, players, hires, etc ... 

Just curious, who are some of the best DPP folks that TEXAS should have gone after besides the Cock's former DPP ??

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

James Thomas had bit of Rodman crazy in him.  DE for me 

Ya. But one of the coolest guys ever. Hung out with him at a few parties in college. /csb

But agreed. DE all the way though.  Just needed to toss some weight on him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting