Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 minute ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Because he is. For now. He's talking to kids, directly or indirectly, and trainers, when it comes to Texas targets for now. Perhaps others. But not Texas.

Correct. This is what Saban did to Javonne Shepherd and A&M, which obviously helped us. Saban's not the best recruiter in the sport just because he's charismatic, persistent, and backs it up on the field, but he frequently works to negative recruit his competition to their targets until NSD has come and gone, even prospects his school is not interested in taking. Assuming good coaching to be held by all competing teams, the difference will be the size of the talent gap, not the total talent quantification on either team. An excellent example of this that has been discussed frequently on the Football board is ND, who has good coaching and talent, and can never compete once it gets to the peak of the sport, because it's just not talented enough by comparison. Making sure your conference rivals never escape that purgatory is why Saban has held such a stranglehold on the SEC and the national championship trophy. It's a strategy that is used against Texas a lot by our regional competition, and one I hope we start to utilize in the near future.

(Was not meant to come off preachy to you Tex, apologies, just meant to expand/vent on something I've seen often that Texas didn't do enough of on past staffs).

We wanted him. It's a loss for Texas, but that is okay. He's a kid we'll keep contacting and maintain a strong relationship with throughout the cycle while we pursue the multiple other prospects left on the board. Most of our targets in the secondary are still on the market. There's no reason to spin it as anything other than a strikeout by us, and simultaneously no reason to worry right now. I'm not sure how the recruitment went down, but I agree with what @golfclap said to have been a big factor. I don't think he liked being penciled into Texas' 22 class for so long largely because his brother was there, undoubtedly with some negative recruiting having exaggerated that emotion. The same thing happened to Kelvontay Dixon, who would have signed with Arkansas had that religious zealot Morris not gotten shitcanned.

Hah, no need to apologize to me - we're agreeing after all.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is one of then greatest movie openings of all time, sir. It doesn’t matter if the rest of the movie is shit. It should be dissected in HS classes for its brilliance.  

My all time favorite interview answer regardless of the question

image.png.191eaea90b68ea4a1cacf4f57c0f7b23.png

Edited by Viper
  • Haha 2

This is a complete guess, but maybe the 9.95ers may have whiffed so badly on L. Hullaby's recruitment similar to why they were wrong on Xavion Alford for so long. To summarize, the beat writers' assumption that he was a lock to A&M (after his near commitment to LSU), annoyed him and he went along with it hoping they'd stop pestering him and his family while he figured out where he really wanted to go. The media settled until they were made aware of the news that he was going to Texas shortly before his announcement, which I'm guessing is when he notified A&M's staff he had committed to us.

LJ Johnson did something similar, which I had hinted about prior to this last season. Obviously that recruitment wound it's way up and down into A&M's favor in the end.

Edited by Bam Bam Sam
specificity
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting