Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Ok ya, I’m fucking all in on Murphy now. Can’t wait to see what he looks like in a live game

Yeah, the arm talent is definitely there, but I'm really interested in seeing how he does when things breakdown. We have no idea how he'll handle the rush until he gets some game film out there.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

This board getting way too excited about cherry-picked 7v7 highlights is the probably most predictable event of the week (although they do look good). I'm just surprised how quickly the Campbell stuff got glossed over here

we are getting live highlights..  If Campbell drops his commit to us right now we will act accordingly..

• Hook 'Em 3

This board getting way too excited about cherry-picked 7v7 highlights is the probably most predictable event of the week (although they do look good). I'm just surprised how quickly the Campbell stuff got glossed over here

Somebody left yellow snow in your yard this week 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I mean... it's exciting for sure, but he's a longstanding lean and there's no specifics. Hard to get too enchubbened over a move from "will probably commit to Texas in quite a while" to "will probably commit to Texas in a shorter while".

Just now, IDIOTsavant said:

Yeah, the arm talent is definitely there, but I'm really interested in seeing how he does when things breakdown. We have no idea how he'll handle the rush until he gets some game film out there.

Well at least he should be able to see over the rush.  He is as tall as most of the DT's.  

2 hours ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

We wanted him. It's a loss for Texas, but that is okay. He's a kid we'll keep contacting and maintain a strong relationship with throughout the cycle while we pursue the multiple other prospects left on the board. Most of our targets in the secondary are still on the market. There's no reason to spin it as anything other than a strikeout by us, and simultaneously no reason to worry right now. I'm not sure how the recruitment went down, but I agree with what @golfclap said to have been a big factor. I don't think he liked being penciled into Texas' 22 class for so long largely because his brother was there, undoubtedly with some negative recruiting having exaggerated that emotion. The same thing happened to Kelvontay Dixon, who would have signed with Arkansas had that religious zealot Morris not gotten shitcanned.

Is that what the coaches told you? Or is that what the 9.95ers told you? 

12 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

This mirrors a kid hitting batting practice in a cage. You see the skillet from mechanics and immediately see why his evaluation is set off the charts.  These 7 on 7 camps are also very important in reading your check downs and ball placement. 

Edited by Blackcat00
  • Hook 'Em 3

He’s got sophomore highlights throwing on the run. If he had a wind up or hitch to his throw, it would make it difficult to throw while scrambling. It’s not a lot of highlights but he was real young, shows skills making some of the same throws he does here. But he’s not going to put failed attempts among his highlights either.  Also consider that a lot of qbs in this same controlled camp setting can’t make those throws. However, I don’t know the level of competition he faces and would still take Ewers given the chance.  

3 hours ago, cdain3 said:

By far, my favorite highlight from today. Out route. From the opposite hash. With limited space (red zone). Pretty much perfect placement and timing. As another poster mentioned, his throwing motion seems effortless. 

Anybody know if that’s Maalik calling the shots before the play or a coach?

Edited by Hmmm
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Kanly said:

Two things:

- interesting that he references the wr production at SC, would have thought that short stint would be used for negative recruiting almost exclusively. 

- nice that Washington is giving good feedback to guys considering he’s been on portal watch for a while now. 

• Hook 'Em 6

12 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

- nice that Washington is giving good feedback to guys considering he’s been on portal watch for a while now. 

Washington may still be on portal watch.  That doesn't mean he doesn't think highly of Coach Coleman. Sometimes these kids love their original choice, they just want a more favorable depth chart.

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Washington may still be on portal watch.  That doesn't mean he doesn't think highly of Coach Coleman. Sometimes these kids love their original choice, they just want a more favorable depth chart.

Oh yeah I have no doubt. No problem with him doing what’s best for him.

Whether he’s on the way out or not it’s nice he’s not trashing us to recruits he knows for petty reasons. 

6 hours ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Because he is. For now. He's talking to kids, directly or indirectly, and trainers, when it comes to Texas targets for now. Perhaps others. But not Texas.

Correct. This is what Saban did to Javonne Shepherd and A&M, which obviously helped us. Saban's not the best recruiter in the sport just because he's charismatic, persistent, and backs it up on the field, but he frequently works to negative recruit his competition to their targets until NSD has come and gone, even prospects his school is not interested in taking. Assuming good coaching to be held by all competing teams, the difference will be the size of the talent gap, not the total talent quantification on either team. An excellent example of this that has been discussed frequently on the Football board is ND, who has good coaching and talent, and can never compete once it gets to the peak of the sport, because it's just not talented enough by comparison. Making sure your conference rivals never escape that purgatory is why Saban has held such a stranglehold on the SEC and the national championship trophy. It's a strategy that is used against Texas a lot by our regional competition, and one I hope we start to utilize in the near future.

(Was not meant to come off preachy to you Tex, apologies, just meant to expand/vent on something I've seen often that Texas didn't do enough of on past staffs).

We wanted him. It's a loss for Texas, but that is okay. He's a kid we'll keep contacting and maintain a strong relationship with throughout the cycle while we pursue the multiple other prospects left on the board. Most of our targets in the secondary are still on the market. There's no reason to spin it as anything other than a strikeout by us, and simultaneously no reason to worry right now. I'm not sure how the recruitment went down, but I agree with what @golfclap said to have been a big factor. I don't think he liked being penciled into Texas' 22 class for so long largely because his brother was there, undoubtedly with some negative recruiting having exaggerated that emotion. The same thing happened to Kelvontay Dixon, who would have signed with Arkansas had that religious zealot Morris not gotten shitcanned.

I’ve heard that Kirby is the best negative recruiter in the business, and talks 5*s from going to Bama from time to time

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

How I envision that pitch going:

Recruit:  “Coach Smart, if Alabama is so bad, why did you work there for Saban for so many years?  And why do they always beat you for the SEC and national championships?”

Kirby: “Look, here’s another bag.  Now shut up and sign already, smartass.” 

I’ve heard it’s mostly “Saban is retiring next year” 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting