Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Idk if its due to the fact that he just got hired but I absolutely love that Sark is involved in every recruitment. Thats what Urban does, thats what Saban does, thats what Mack did in the begining and it's about damn time we have a HC who views recruiting as his personal responsibility. Furthermore, it is also apparent that this staff in general believes in a group recruiting effort which is very much a Bama-like recruiting philosophy. This is awesome. 

If you are referring to Herman, I don't think it helps recruiting if your head coach acts like a dick when he is speaking to recruits.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

happy antonio banderas GIF

I'm not celebrating until we can get this motherfucker to commit. I think everyone here will agree that the OL commitments, or lack-thereof, is our largest point of concern thus far. We need to close him and Banks out in the short term to really kick this motherfucker into high gear if we're going to talk about a top 5 class this year. 

• Hook 'Em 8

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

it's incredible that this guy got 0 catches. Kai fucking Money got 10 at Texas. MALCOM EPPS had 3 catches. but they couldn't find 1 for 5* (ish) with his explosiveness?

syXQlkYs

MAX WRIGHT got a catch.

someone named Ryan Renick (walk on?) got 2 catches

Kam Brown had 5.

And the defensive geniuses in the SEC leave A&M's RBs wide open on every play.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

lol fucking Rivals. Dewberry should not be the #14 player in the country. 

currently (pre update) he was the #115 composite player, #11 OT and #19 in Texas

247 specifically has him as #208 overall, #19 OT and #29 player in Texas

nobody thinks he is bad, but yeah - if he is the #14 player in the country they have him ahead of guys like Banks, Perkins, Sylla, Stewart, Arbor, Blue, Thompson, etc

currently the top OT in the composite is #21

as if anyone needed another reason to ignore Rivals those guys are incredibly out of touch no matter where the guy end up school wise.

IT

Spoiler

By: Joe Cook

LB Junior Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA)
The 6-foot-2.5, 232-pound linebacker with 19 offers announced during the weekend he would release his top five schools soon. Those programs are where he would like to take official visits whenever they are allowed. If the NCAA does not loosen recruiting restrictions, Tuihalamaka will make an effort to see the various campuses himself. Tuihalamaka mentioned he talks with Steve Sarkisian on a weekly basis and hears from Jeff Choate. There’s a connection for Sarkisian too, as Tuihalamaka’s father played at El Camino College. Choate and Tuihalamaka plan to speak over Zoom early this week, possibly today.

QB Maalik Murphy, Serra (Gardena, CA) – TEXAS
Murphy received good news along with many other California prospects when it was announced there would be a shortened high school season in the Golden State. Pylon’s Vegas tournament is part of his preparation, but he knows it’s about proving it on the 100-yard field. Still, at the event, everyone knew who Murphy was. He is a popular figure selling West Coast recruits on playing with him and in Sarkisian’s offense.

His 7-on-7 reps were impressive, and the aspects of Murphy’s game that have people in the recruiting industry raving were on display including his touch and accuracy. It’s not real football, but the tools that make him such a highly regarded prospect were evident. Now, Murphy just needs translate it to the real field.

Murphy wants to be in Austin this week. His trip wasn’t confirmed quite yet, but as far as seeing the Forty Acres in the coming days? “That’s what it’s looking like right now.“

I’ll have more from Murphy later this week.

OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WA)
Like Murphy, Agbo recently received good news in the form of a spring high school season in the Pacific Northwest. While he’ll be blocking on the offensive line when the pads come on, Agbo enjoyed the opportunity to receive some goal line reps with his 7-on-7 team.

Agbo said he has a “love/hate” relationship with recruiting. It’s a process, but it’s one he is trying to enjoy and appreciate. Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, and LSU were schools he mentioned as recruiting him hard, but Sarkisian, Kyle Flood, and Jeff Banks have his attention.

Guess who reached out to Agbo after his offer? Maalik Murphy. Agbo is one of several prospects Murphy has focused his recruiting efforts on. Sarkisian’s PNW connection was mentioned by Agbo, too. Agbo wants to see campuses, but can make his decision without a full official visit. His recruitment could last into the cycle. He’ll trim his list of schools down this summer.

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall (Missouri City, TX)
Marshall wants to improve his route running, including using different releases, become a student of the game, and overall a better receiver. He has plenty of athleticism, but lacks experience on the football field since basketball was his prior focus. He’s often boxing-out defenders and using that physicality, and was a jump-ball threat for his team during the 7-on-7 event.

The recruiting process is “getting crazy” for Marshall with coaches from around the country remaining in contact with him. He’s looking for a place with a family feel, and likes what he’s hearing “from every school.” Specifically, Texas, Texas A&M, Arizona State, Oregon, Auburn, and LSU were schools he mentioned when asked.

Andre Coleman is recruiting Marshall, and he now has Sarkisian’s offense as a major selling point. Marshall wants to take visits before he starts to put a list of schools together. He has taken self-guided tours, but emphasized he wanted to know what the team atmosphere is like before making any sort of decision.

WR Kevin Coleman, St. Mary’s (St. Louis, MO)
Coleman was working with a team out of Houston looking to show that Missouri has plenty of high school football talent, too. He was a blur on the field, moving quickly in and out of his routes. Recruiting-wise, Alabama, Texas, Florida State, Arizona State, Penn State, USC, and Georgia were schools he mentioned. Coleman was being recruited by Andre Coleman before Sarkisian’s arrival. Sarkisian’s down-to-earth nature and coordinator ability also stand out to Coleman.

The next step in the process for Coleman is releasing a top five and “Texas is going to be in it.”

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)
The first game Williams played on Sunday, he caught three touchdown passes and almost had a fourth. He was winning downfield, over the middle, and gaining plenty of yards after the catch when he had the ball in his hands.

Williams is an impressive, humble kid despite the attention from 47 schools. He’s excited for Mater Dei’s season against several of the top private school programs in California, including Servite and St. John Bosco. Recruiting-wise, Williams said he wants to commit “later this year,” closer to September and before a potential fall season. Texas has much of what Williams is looking for including a top business school, a good football culture, and Sarkisian’s offense.

Sarkisian was Williams’ main recruiter at Alabama, he attends the same school as Sarkisian’s son, and his father attended Alabama, meaning Crimson Tide games were on the TV in his house growing up. Andre Coleman remains in contact with Williams in addition to Sarkisian. Williams said he won’t commit anywhere he is not able to see himself, and his family wants to be sure they’re committing to the right people.

DB Larry Turner-Gooden, St. Bernard (Playa Del Rey, CA)
Turner-Gooden is familiar with Sarkisian too, and his reputation combined with Blake Gideon’s recruiting efforts have Texas “looking good” to the 6-foot-0, 180-pound prospect. Murphy’s commitment was called a “huge impact” on his own decision, and is building a relationship with Texas to see if joining Murphy might be the right move for him.

Gideon is part of what Turner-Gooden called a “great staff,” and Turner-Gooden said he could feel Gideon’s passion for his alma mater. Turner-Gooden may not be able to go on a self-guided tour of Austin soon with the California spring season coming up, but he wants to see Austin if official visits are allowed.

Turner-Gooden says his process will go late into the cycle as he wants to commit on national TV during an All-American game. However, there are some rumors circling that he’s quite fond of Arizona State.

RB Jaylen Thompson, St. Bernard (Playa Del Ray, CA)
Despite a commitment from Jaydon Blue, Texas remains in contact with the 5-foot-9, 180-pound back with 15 offers. Thompson is listening, and Blue’s presence in the class isn’t causing him to pass over Texas. “Everybody eats.”

Stan Drayton and new director of recruiting Brandon Harris both are keeping in touch with Thompson. Harris even maintained contact before Thompson received his offer, and his efforts have Texas in the mix along with Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon State, Oregon, and USC.

A top list of schools following his five-game season is the next step in the process for Thompson.

#####

By: Gerry Hamilton

- If Texas is to truly break through on the west cost in the 2022 cycle, it will be at linebacker and on the offensive line. Linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka is a prospect the Texas staff feels confident about, with the understanding that Notre Dame is a legit threat. There is a feeling Texas could win out for the four-star prospect if it can successfully sell the Austin area and the football program together. The staff feels like Tuihalamaka will get the “home” feeling if they can get him to Austin to check out the area and university.

On the offensive line, the Longhorns are receiving extremely positive feedback from Todd Beamer (WA) OT Malik Agbo. Agbo was effusive in his praise of Texas to IT last week, so there is some consistency in what IT is hearing behind the scenes and what Agbo has relayed to us. A second lineman Texas is receiving positive feedback from is 6-foot-4, 330-pound guard Earnest Green out of Southern California power St. John Bosco. The Longhorns would have to beat out all Pac-12’s + a few national powers but the Horns are in the conversation.

IT caught up with a source on 2022 DE D.J. Wesolak over the weekend, and Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M and Missouri were the four offers that had the 6-foot-5, 236-pounder’s full attention. Also in the course of the conversation, it was evident an offer from Clemson would be a recruitment changer. Well, the Tigers have now offered. Wesolak will seriously look at the academic/football combo in the process, but there is a feeling Clemson could overcome the dual appeal Texas and Notre Dame can sell. If this is a football decision, watch for Clemson. If academics remain important, Texas is right there in the conversation.

The recruitment of Arlington Martin 2022 DE Ernest Cooper IV is still trending to Stanford, but may not be the lock it once was. To be clear, IT is still picking Stanford, but the 6-foot-4, 235-pounder is in touch with Notre Dame, Texas, and Texas A&M more these days. Cooper regularly speaks with Steve Sarkisian, Pete Kwiatkowski, and Jeff Banks. Cooper is one prospect who will very likely make some student visits before deciding prior to his senior season. If he were to move his timeline up, it’s important to know he has been to Palo Alto before.

The recruitment of Aledo safety Bryan Allen Jr. continues to trend as a Texas vs. Oklahoma showdown. Texas A&M has fallen further behind the Longhorns and Sooners, as of today. When the 6-foot-0, 190-pounder backed off his LSU verbal, there was a thought the Sooners would win out over Texas A&M. The work of the Texas staff, which includes Blake Gideon and Terry Joseph, has brought Texas from the No. 3 spot in the race to a real possibility of winning out should the staff continue to push the correct buttons. The commitment of Aledo TE Jason Llewellyn to Oklahoma has no bearing on Allen's decision. That decision should occur this spring, or perhaps early summer at the latest. Like Allen, Texas has displayed good recovery speed in this recruitment.

#####

By: Justin Wells

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman: After grabbing one of the twin turbos, Evan Stewart, already, Sarkisian is looking for the other booster in this cycle. The 5-foot-10, 165-pound athlete continues to be the talk of message boards. With 36 offers, including Clemson, OU, LSU, and Notre Dame, the speedster with a 10.32 (100) and 21.51 (200) is taking it all in stride. His goal for this track season remains the same... "win state in the 100 and 200." Texas coaches Steve Sarkisian and Andre Coleman remain in contact with the four-star from west Texas and he's still looking for a chance to take a student visit this spring.

DB Larry Gooden-Turner, St. Bernard (Playa Del Rey, CA): Turner tweeted that he has a big announcement on Friday, February 26th. He's stated he wants to wait until his all-star game for his decision, but a source close to his pursuit thinks Arizona State might be the quiet leader. He almost pledged to USC last month, then Chris Claiborne took the ASU gig. He's close to the former Trojan LB who now coaches the Sun Devils. No matter, Texas and Maalik Murphy will continue to recruit the four-star defensive back.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie: One of the top Texas targets in the 2022 class, the 6-foot-4, 295-pound composite five-star dropped an hourglass in his tweet over the weekend. This has been a recruitment where we're on alert monitoring, and a prospect that might move up his timeline after the recent NCAA ruling extended the dead period. Oregon and USC recently offered bringing his total to 29, and join UT, OU, and LSU on the illustrious list. Texas remains in good shape here with Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks prioritizing the @WilliamsDavid special. We’re not ruling out he jumps his timeline. Before a close relative stated Devon would take his time, we thought he was a very possible early commit. Maybe that’s the case. Regardless, Texas is in a great spot.

• Hook 'Em 4

Super K on Phaizon Wilson

Spoiler

This past weekend, I spoke with 2022 TX wide receiver Phaizon Wilson.

First, let me say, he looks fantastic. Since his move to Duncanville he’s got bigger, faster and stronger. He told me he feels like the development he’s gotten at Duncanville has helped him quite a bit. You can see it on the turf.

I did ask him about his recruitment. As you know, he was at one time a Texas commit and recently dropped a top three. Texas was not included. It was our belief that Texas didn’t have room for him and that may very well be the case.

But, I did want to share with you all what Phaizon told me happened. He said that he wanted to recommit to Texas but they let him know that because he had played at Lancaster, and the former head coach at Lancaster Chris Gilbert is now on staff at Texas, the NCAA IAWP rule prohibited Texas from taking him.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

First, let me say, he looks fantastic. Since his move to Duncanville he’s got bigger, faster and stronger. He told me he feels like the development he’s gotten at Duncanville has helped him quite a bit. You can see it on the turf.

I did ask him about his recruitment. As you know, he was at one time a Texas commit and recently dropped a top three. Texas was not included. It was our belief that Texas didn’t have room for him and that may very well be the case.

But, I did want to share with you all what Phaizon told me happened. He said that he wanted to recommit to Texas but they let him know that because he had played at Lancaster, and the former head coach at Lancaster Chris Gilbert is now on staff at Texas, the NCAA IAWP rule prohibited Texas from taking him.

Sark playing 4D chess

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

IT - relevant for scholarship numbers:

If Young can take on some of the workload that could prevent Brooks from having to play which would be a great development. I’m not convinced Harrison is going to play a down at Texas, to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Last high-profile North Shore kid we landed?  Maybe i am just not remembering someone obvious.

I don't know how high-profile (decent 3*) but Tristian Houston is the last one that comes to mind. I may be super wrong though. Before that it was probably Chykie Brown/Trey Hopkins. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

image.gif.25c0ae4120ae7d3d6979cdd39924325d.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, three opportunities for a half-ass education and Texas.

I beg your pardon, sir? There is no finer higher education in ALL of West Central Alabama than that provided by The Capstone, I'll have you know!

Begone from heah, you reconstructionist carpetbagger!!

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting