Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So my friend, who may be biased, says that Timi Gagophien from Alief Hastings has grown into a beast in the past few months.  Anybody know anything about this kid?

Supposedly 6'6" and 290 pounds.  Here's some HUDL video. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11555290/6022b46eb3c9980cecec9857

Hi, Mr. Gagophien!

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hi, Mr. Gagophien!

So very clever and so very original. Did you think that one up by yourself or did your 3rd grader help you?

He could always run but the knock on him was that he lacked upper body strength. Apparently in just the last 4-5 months he's become much bigger and stronger, which happens sometimes  to 16-year olds. 

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So very clever and so very original. Did you think that one up by yourself or did your 3rd grader help you?

He could always run but the knock on him was that he lacked upper body strength. Apparently in just the last 4-5 months he's become much bigger and stronger, which happens sometimes  to 16-year olds. 

His tape isn't impressive, but obviously it is possible that he has improved. He has interior feet on tape and lacks a lot of strength so he often gets controlled by the DL. So if he is bigger, faster, and stronger that would change my opinion dramatically but that is true with every prospect. I guess we will have to wait for senior tape to see if the improvement is real.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

CJ Vogel (TFB) on Ish Harris

Reveal hidden contents

I made the trip up to Pilot Point yesterday to see rising 2022 athlete Ish Harris who traded in the hardwood last weekend for the baseball diamond.

In the last two weeks, Harris has picked up offers from Texas (Feb. 12) and Oklahoma (Feb. 17), yet his recruitment was already beginning to pop prior to the Red River rivals jumping into the mix.

“(Recruiting) has been pretty good to me,” said Harris, who was district 4-3A Offensive MVP this past season. “I’m just embracing it. It doesn’t last forever, so I am just not taking the things I have for granted.”

Harris told me there are four teams hot on his tail right now, Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma and Baylor. For the time being, there has not been any communication, but Alabama has started following Harris on Twitter and he expects them to get in the mix soon as well.

He added that Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas talk to him every day on the phone. The Texas staff even hosted him for a virtual visit last night as well. Harris said the coach that he has heard the most from so far during his recruitment is A&M’s Terry Price.

While he is listed as an ATH, Harris told me the majority of his offers are coming on the defensive side of the ball. Though, “I feel like wherever you put me, any environment, I feel like I can be a program changer,” Harris said. “I don’t prefer one side or the other, but side I know I will be the best at is probably outside linebacker because of my size and my build.”

The four aforementioned schools of Texas, A&M, OU and Baylor all offered on the defensive side of the ball. Though, it is worth noting that Texas A&M has pitched using Harris on both sides of the ball for a few series a game. “It is really appealing to me because I love both sides of the ball, but I still want to have a touch on the offensive side just a little bit.”

Getting into the Texas specific side of things, Harris said he is in communication with head coach Steve Sarkisian often, as well as LB coach Jeff Choate.

Harris has been down to Austin before and said he really enjoyed his trip down there, so he is familiar with the city.

My Take

Harris told me he hopes to have a top schools released prior to his senior season and commit sometime during the season, so I expect this recruitment to carry out quite a bit. The four-sport athlete hopes to study agricultural engineering at the next level which plays into the favor of Texas A&M.

For the time being, Texas A&M and Texas are both up at the top, though I would probably give the Aggies a slight edge. I am willing to bet Oklahoma makes up ground, but Harris pointed out a loaded depth chart at the LB position as something that is holding back the Sooners right now. But again, things will change once he is able to visit campuses in person.

Scary Terry telling young Ish Harris lies. They won't use him on both sides of the ball.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

So my friend, who may be biased, says that Timi Gagophien from Alief Hastings has grown into a beast in the past few months.  Anybody know anything about this kid?

His frame looks great.

(Joe Cook) Wagons East for these three West Coast products? The latest on Murphy, Agbo, and Williams

Spoiler

Everyone knew when Texas commit Maalik Murphy walked into the Pylon 7on7 event in Las Vegas Laughlin, NV Bullhead City, AZ. The highly rated quarterback from Serra High School in Gardena, CA made a name for himself during pool play on Saturday when he led his team to a touchdown every time he was quarterback (Murphy occasionally rotated with a teammate).

Maybe it was Saturday's all-white outfit, his large stature, or his signature dreadlocks, but when Murphy arrived, the entire facility was aware that the West Coast’s top quarterback prospect in 2022 was in the building. Same goes for Sunday.

During an interview, several players came up to speak to the Texas commit who is trying to bring others with him to play for Steve Sarkisian in the Lone Star State.

Murphy had a few weeks to develop a pitch before arriving in Western Arizona. He delivered it during the course of the weekend.

“Just knowing that you’ll be able to get a good quarterback and teammate out of me,” Murphy said Sunday of his sell to other West Coast recruits. “I’m not just going to be the guy on the field. I’m also going to be a great teammate on and off the field. Playing in an offense like Sark’s is always a great thing. People progress and succeed at the highest level playing under him. That’s something to take under consideration as a recruit.”

Despite a big Saturday, Murphy’s Sunday was cut short as his team was upset by a squad from out of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. He still remained around the facility to watch other teams play and continue to speak with other high-profile recruits on the West Coast.

How much does the combination of Sarkisian, architect of the explosive Alabama offense over the last two years, and Murphy, one of the more well-known quarterback recruits in California, affect the decisions of other top prospects?

“I’m sure it’s under consideration,” Murphy said about Texas’ place in other recruits minds. “Just from me being there and Sark being there, it should be under consideration if it’s not already. I have no idea what exactly is going on in their mind, but I’m going to do my best to bring them where I’m going.”

Murphy mentioned the 7on7 circuit isn’t where he wants to prove himself, though his play certainly was a positive. He seemed aware of the questions around his game, specifically his lack of experience. He knows he can put those to bed with a great spring season. “I’m ready to get into the season and prove it to myself that I can get out and do it in the real game,” he said.

Serra currently has five games scheduled for California’s spring 2021 football season: at Chaminade on March 19, versus Cathedral on March 26, at Notre Dame on April 3, versus Bishop Amat on April 9, and a season finale versus Bishop Alemany on April 16.

The goal?

“Win. Win. Win,” Murphy said. “Take my team to the promised land. I really believe that we can do it. We’ve had enough time to gel and get to know each other and really build great chemistry on the field. I feel like we can get out and do great.”

Before he sets out on the 2021 campaign, Murphy wants to try to make it to Austin for a self-guided visit this upcoming weekend. The trip wasn’t confirmed on Sunday when IT spoke with Murphy, but he intends to be in Austin.

Then, it’s football time in Southern California.

“I just remain humble and do what I do best, and that’s play the game,” Murphy said.

Malik Agbo

One of the underrated aspects of attending 7on7 events is seeing if any offensive or defensive linemen join their skill position friends on a touch football team. There was one in Bullhead City this past weekend in Malik Agbo, the No. 4 prospect from Washington in the composite rankings.

Agbo caught a conversion attempt and almost had another on Sunday. He enjoyed being able to play with some of his friends from the Pacific Northwest before he prepares to help Todd Beamer High School in Federal Way, WA in their spring season.

“Just out here having fun and making the most of it,” Agbo said. “Our season, we finally got the go ahead that we can finally play. Just enjoying it and getting back into the flow of it again.”

Agbo’s charisma and attention to detail shone through during his interview with IT. He spoke about the recruiting process and how it has its ups and downs. He also explained his desire to take visits but understood there is a chance he could have to decide without stepping foot on a campus.

That charisma explained his desire to go into broadcasting. “I feel like I can be the next Joe Buck,” he said. Before he enters the booth, he has plans on the football field.

Agbo had a previous relationship with Sarkisian, Jeff Banks, and Kyle Flood when they were at Alabama. Those relationships have traveled West to Austin.

“Great guys, too,” Agbo said. “Never anything bad about them. They’re heck of coaches.”

When asked who is reaching out to him at this juncture, Agbo mentioned Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU. If visits happen, he’d like to make it to Austin, Miami, Baton Rouge, and Norman, plus Eugene, OR to see the Ducks. Neither Washington nor Washington State was mentioned.

His interview was with IT and other media who focus on Texas, but Agbo offered this about building a relationship with Sarkisian, whose Pacific Northwest connections Agbo raved about.

“Getting to know all the head coaches and the new coaching staff from Bama over to Texas, learning from Coach Sark and what he runs on offense, and how it’s so smooth and that stuff,” Agbo said about his recruitment. “I feel like that’s the place. I feel like that’s the place I could succeed and have a good football career there.”

Despite residing just outside of Seattle, Agbo was contacted by SoCal's Maalik Murphy soon after the Texas coaches sent an offer from Austin to Federal Way.

“We’ve been building a relationship and talking to one another every night about this, that, and the other,” Agbo said. “It’s been good. It’s been awesome talking to him. Him being a high-prospect quarterback and having another name block for him with the same name, that’s pretty cool.”

Agbo said he would like to take visits but could decide based off of virtual or self-guided visits. He would like to release a top 8 in the summer but could see his decision delayed until late in the 2022 cycle.

CJ Williams

Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana is one of the country’s top high school football programs, and CJ Williams is the powerhouse’s top receiver.

At 6-foot-2 and 193 pounds, the high four-star has offers from 48 schools including almost all of the big boys of college football. Programs around the country know Williams is good at football. Williams knows Williams is good at football. Still, he is remaining humble despite all the attention.

“It’s a blessing feeling wanted by everyone,” Williams said. “Everyone wants to make sure I feel at home, and they make me a priority. Having that in the back of my mind is pretty cool, but the season is coming up and I’m focusing on that.”

Mater Dei will take on Trinity League powers this spring including St. John Bosco, JSerra (distinct from Murphy’s Serra), Santa Margarita, Servite, and Orange Lutheran.

“Five private schools that are going to come out and compete, have the best players in the state, and great coaches,” Williams said. “I’m just ready to see every single game on that slate.”

Still, recruiting is part of Williams’ daily routine. He wants to commit before a potential fall season after releasing his top list of schools.

Andre Coleman and Mike Yurcich began building the relationship for Texas, and that has only continued under Steve Sarkisian. Williams said Sarkisian was his top recruiter at Alabama, and the fact that he has continued to recruit the SoCal receiver means a lot to Williams.

Williams knows the Sarkisian’s outside of the recruiting process going back to when he was a freshman. Sarkisian’s son, Brady, is currently a sophomore at Mater Dei and on the Monarchs' football team.

He is also familiar with Sarkisian based off of a family tie. Williams’ father is a University of Alabama alum, and Williams paid attention to the Crimson Tide over the last few years for multiple reasons.

Now, several of those reasons are in Austin as opposed to Tuscaloosa, and the Longhorns have Williams’ interest.

“I’ve always though really highly of Texas as far as a football program and a school. They have one of the best business programs in America, and then also the culture they represent with how they prioritize football. Put Sark on top of that and it makes it one of the top schools for me.”

Williams wants to be able to take visits and see schools himself before choosing his college destination.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 2

My impression from the highlights was that the frame looks great, needs to gain strength. I don't know how to assess the feet, but to me the looked good enough to stick at tackle

Very strong All-Name Team candidate as well.

HammLite posted about him in the guys to watch thread a few months back and then posted a new one today ::

This is the kid I posted about back in the fall when he had like three plays of film and that was it. He has finally put his highlights together. I bet he sees a number of offers soon. As of now, Baylor and Rice have shown the most interest with A&M at least inquiring about him. But I could see a bunch of offers come his way now that his film is out.

https://247sports.com/Player/Timi-Gagophien-46110111/

HUDL ::

That's a very short highlight HUDL but it shows a guy with a tremendous frame and some really nice natural athleticism. I worry about that body lean getting his chest out over his skis but he's clearly a project so if proves himself coachable that could likely be corrected, it doesn't look like a balance issue (a la Kenyon Green). The fact that Bloomgren is in on him is a good sign, imo. 

14 minutes ago, golfclap said:

HammLite posted about him in the guys to watch thread a few months back and then posted a new one today ::

That's a very short highlight HUDL but it shows a guy with a tremendous frame and some really nice natural athleticism. I worry about that body lean getting his chest out over his skis but he's clearly a project so if proves himself coachable that could likely be corrected, it doesn't look like a balance issue (a la Kenyon Green). The fact that Bloomgren is in on him is a good sign, imo. 

At his size, I'd hope to see at least one pancake in his Hudl highlights. Dude needs to add some strength, and maybe have DHawk teach him how to punch a DL.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Joe Cook) Wagons East for these three West Coast products? The latest on Murphy, Agbo, and Williams

Hide contents

Everyone knew when Texas commit Maalik Murphy walked into the Pylon 7on7 event in Las Vegas Laughlin, NV Bullhead City, AZ. The highly rated quarterback from Serra High School in Gardena, CA made a name for himself during pool play on Saturday when he led his team to a touchdown every time he was quarterback (Murphy occasionally rotated with a teammate).

Maybe it was Saturday's all-white outfit, his large stature, or his signature dreadlocks, but when Murphy arrived, the entire facility was aware that the West Coast’s top quarterback prospect in 2022 was in the building. Same goes for Sunday.

During an interview, several players came up to speak to the Texas commit who is trying to bring others with him to play for Steve Sarkisian in the Lone Star State.

Murphy had a few weeks to develop a pitch before arriving in Western Arizona. He delivered it during the course of the weekend.

“Just knowing that you’ll be able to get a good quarterback and teammate out of me,” Murphy said Sunday of his sell to other West Coast recruits. “I’m not just going to be the guy on the field. I’m also going to be a great teammate on and off the field. Playing in an offense like Sark’s is always a great thing. People progress and succeed at the highest level playing under him. That’s something to take under consideration as a recruit.”

Despite a big Saturday, Murphy’s Sunday was cut short as his team was upset by a squad from out of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. He still remained around the facility to watch other teams play and continue to speak with other high-profile recruits on the West Coast.

How much does the combination of Sarkisian, architect of the explosive Alabama offense over the last two years, and Murphy, one of the more well-known quarterback recruits in California, affect the decisions of other top prospects?

“I’m sure it’s under consideration,” Murphy said about Texas’ place in other recruits minds. “Just from me being there and Sark being there, it should be under consideration if it’s not already. I have no idea what exactly is going on in their mind, but I’m going to do my best to bring them where I’m going.”

Murphy mentioned the 7on7 circuit isn’t where he wants to prove himself, though his play certainly was a positive. He seemed aware of the questions around his game, specifically his lack of experience. He knows he can put those to bed with a great spring season. “I’m ready to get into the season and prove it to myself that I can get out and do it in the real game,” he said.

Serra currently has five games scheduled for California’s spring 2021 football season: at Chaminade on March 19, versus Cathedral on March 26, at Notre Dame on April 3, versus Bishop Amat on April 9, and a season finale versus Bishop Alemany on April 16.

The goal?

“Win. Win. Win,” Murphy said. “Take my team to the promised land. I really believe that we can do it. We’ve had enough time to gel and get to know each other and really build great chemistry on the field. I feel like we can get out and do great.”

Before he sets out on the 2021 campaign, Murphy wants to try to make it to Austin for a self-guided visit this upcoming weekend. The trip wasn’t confirmed on Sunday when IT spoke with Murphy, but he intends to be in Austin.

Then, it’s football time in Southern California.

“I just remain humble and do what I do best, and that’s play the game,” Murphy said.

Malik Agbo

One of the underrated aspects of attending 7on7 events is seeing if any offensive or defensive linemen join their skill position friends on a touch football team. There was one in Bullhead City this past weekend in Malik Agbo, the No. 4 prospect from Washington in the composite rankings.

Agbo caught a conversion attempt and almost had another on Sunday. He enjoyed being able to play with some of his friends from the Pacific Northwest before he prepares to help Todd Beamer High School in Federal Way, WA in their spring season.

“Just out here having fun and making the most of it,” Agbo said. “Our season, we finally got the go ahead that we can finally play. Just enjoying it and getting back into the flow of it again.”

Agbo’s charisma and attention to detail shone through during his interview with IT. He spoke about the recruiting process and how it has its ups and downs. He also explained his desire to take visits but understood there is a chance he could have to decide without stepping foot on a campus.

That charisma explained his desire to go into broadcasting. “I feel like I can be the next Joe Buck,” he said. Before he enters the booth, he has plans on the football field.

Agbo had a previous relationship with Sarkisian, Jeff Banks, and Kyle Flood when they were at Alabama. Those relationships have traveled West to Austin.

“Great guys, too,” Agbo said. “Never anything bad about them. They’re heck of coaches.”

When asked who is reaching out to him at this juncture, Agbo mentioned Texas, Oklahoma, and LSU. If visits happen, he’d like to make it to Austin, Miami, Baton Rouge, and Norman, plus Eugene, OR to see the Ducks. Neither Washington nor Washington State was mentioned.

His interview was with IT and other media who focus on Texas, but Agbo offered this about building a relationship with Sarkisian, whose Pacific Northwest connections Agbo raved about.

“Getting to know all the head coaches and the new coaching staff from Bama over to Texas, learning from Coach Sark and what he runs on offense, and how it’s so smooth and that stuff,” Agbo said about his recruitment. “I feel like that’s the place. I feel like that’s the place I could succeed and have a good football career there.”

Despite residing just outside of Seattle, Agbo was contacted by SoCal's Maalik Murphy soon after the Texas coaches sent an offer from Austin to Federal Way.

“We’ve been building a relationship and talking to one another every night about this, that, and the other,” Agbo said. “It’s been good. It’s been awesome talking to him. Him being a high-prospect quarterback and having another name block for him with the same name, that’s pretty cool.”

Agbo said he would like to take visits but could decide based off of virtual or self-guided visits. He would like to release a top 8 in the summer but could see his decision delayed until late in the 2022 cycle.

CJ Williams

Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana is one of the country’s top high school football programs, and CJ Williams is the powerhouse’s top receiver.

At 6-foot-2 and 193 pounds, the high four-star has offers from 48 schools including almost all of the big boys of college football. Programs around the country know Williams is good at football. Williams knows Williams is good at football. Still, he is remaining humble despite all the attention.

“It’s a blessing feeling wanted by everyone,” Williams said. “Everyone wants to make sure I feel at home, and they make me a priority. Having that in the back of my mind is pretty cool, but the season is coming up and I’m focusing on that.”

Mater Dei will take on Trinity League powers this spring including St. John Bosco, JSerra (distinct from Murphy’s Serra), Santa Margarita, Servite, and Orange Lutheran.

“Five private schools that are going to come out and compete, have the best players in the state, and great coaches,” Williams said. “I’m just ready to see every single game on that slate.”

Still, recruiting is part of Williams’ daily routine. He wants to commit before a potential fall season after releasing his top list of schools.

Andre Coleman and Mike Yurcich began building the relationship for Texas, and that has only continued under Steve Sarkisian. Williams said Sarkisian was his top recruiter at Alabama, and the fact that he has continued to recruit the SoCal receiver means a lot to Williams.

Williams knows the Sarkisian’s outside of the recruiting process going back to when he was a freshman. Sarkisian’s son, Brady, is currently a sophomore at Mater Dei and on the Monarchs' football team.

He is also familiar with Sarkisian based off of a family tie. Williams’ father is a University of Alabama alum, and Williams paid attention to the Crimson Tide over the last few years for multiple reasons.

Now, several of those reasons are in Austin as opposed to Tuscaloosa, and the Longhorns have Williams’ interest.

“I’ve always though really highly of Texas as far as a football program and a school. They have one of the best business programs in America, and then also the culture they represent with how they prioritize football. Put Sark on top of that and it makes it one of the top schools for me.”

Williams wants to be able to take visits and see schools himself before choosing his college destination.

Was this ghost-written by Ian Boyd or does this guy specialize in writing long, boring shit as well?

I'll admit, I have pretty much never read recruiting interviews unless there's something going viral that is absurd about a given one. I don't have any interest in reading coachspeaking meaningless shit from a 15-17 year old prima donnas, but I will usually go to the bottom of a section and check and see where the interviewer thinks the guy is leaning. I mean, they're right there talking to the fucking player. They should be reading facial expressions, voice changes, body language, general animation about different schools and providing some context. No one is reading the fucking write-up because they enjoy some $9.95er dipshits word choices. Christ. This fucking rube couldn't even provide an hint of that analysis. Someone paid that guy to go out there and provide this? Fuck.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

His new testing numbers really show a big improvement 

Measured in at 6’3.5” — 235 pounds 

At the Stack Sports Showcase (formerly The Opening), Boardingham not only had the best testing Rating in the camp at 116.43, it was the highest Rating at any of the five Showcase events throughout the country. He clocked a 4.71-40, 4.53 shuttle and jumped 36” in the vertical.

• Hook 'Em 4

Wells

Spoiler

While Tyler Legacy's Jamarion Miller remains a priority for the 2022 cycle, he's not the only prospect in his region getting the recruiting sales pitch from the Horns. For good measure, Texas still stands out for the four-star speed back. It's a two-back class and the staff still views him as a need. More nightly news.

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage (2022):

When you've only started getting major offers for a couple months, it can become overwhelming. Especially for a kid that just turned 17 years old. But at 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, the four-star linebacker from the piney woods looks and plays bigger in person.

While I envisioned Lewis as an inside linebacker, upon further inspection, he might be an outside guy. He's one of the fastest kids at Carthage, and with a father that's 6-foot-5, it's plausible he might keep growing. There's even whispers of him in a RB package this fall.

Of all the schools in pursuit, Lewis mentions four that stand out currently - Texas, OU, LSU, and Texas A&M. And even then he insists he's wide open.

He likes how straight forward OU's staff can be. He likes how LSU's coaches let you be yourself. He sees Texas A&M as a school on the rise. He's getting used to the attention from the new Texas staff. He likes coach Gideon and hears a strong sales pitch from former teammate and current Longhorn wideout, Kelvontay Dixon.

Kip has a twin sister, who is a talented volleyball player. They'd like to go to college together and are looking for ways to accomplish that. But at the end of the day, this boils down to who will put in the most effort to win his signature. For Lewis, it's all new to him and he's got plenty of time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting