Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I considered entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas in the race for Aledo safety Bryan Allen Jr tonight. The former LSU commit announced his intentions to make another commit on Monday and I've heard a ton of positive buzz around Texas. I don't quite have enough to put a prediction in yet and if I did put one in, I'd have to make the confidence level lower than I'd like. That said, a source I spoke with said that Blake Gideon has done a great job in this race and Texas, "seems to have all the momentum right now." I'm still digging in with some folks to get more and want to be fairly certain when I put a pick in, but I think this one is trending well for Texas.

I seriously laughed out loud reading this. TFB has all but said he’s in the class and this is what Mike comes up with.

It’s like he’s writing a caricature of himself. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Just based off what we know so far, I have no doubt that sark can hire good people. Harris was unproven in the role, go hire the best. 

Does aggy have someone in this role? He might not be the best but it would be funny to steal him just to piss them and their “I want to play in the SEC” recruits off. 

(Greg Biggins) Texas stays active out West, offers Arlis Boardingham

Spoiler

Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham junior athlete Arlis Boardingham has been on a nice recruiting roll the last few months and just picked up a scholarship offer from Texas on Tuesday.  

"It was pretty sudden,"Boardingham said. "I just started to hear from them a few days ago and then they decided to offer on Tuesday. Jeff Banks is the coach I've been talking with and he seems like a great guy so I'm really excited about this.

"They said they like me as a hybrid wide receiver/ tight end position, basically a flex position where I would do both. I heard Texas is trying to recruit hard out West and in Southern California so we'll see what happens here."

We had a chance to see Boardingham twice last November at a pair of big national events in the SoCal area and he shined at both. 

At the National Preps Showcase, he earned Offensive MVP honors and looked very good running routes and catching the football. At 6-3.5, 235 pounds, Boardingham has a frame that reminds us of former NFL tight end Vernon Davis.

For his size, Boardingham runs well and has made positive strides as a route runner and being more of a natural pass catcher. You love the positional versatility and although a lot of schools like him as a receiver right now, we think he’ll eventually grow in to a tight end and be an absolute matchup nightmare.

At the Stack Sports Showcase (formerly The Opening), Boardingham not only had the best testing Rating in the camp at 116.43, it was the highest Rating at any of the five Showcase events throughout the country. He clocked a 4.71-40, 4.53 shuttle and jumped 36” in the vertical.

Boardingham had scholarship offers from Arizona State, Boston College, Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico prior to the two showcase events, then landed offers from Fresno State, Duke, Kansas, Notre Dame and Oregon State immediately after.  San Diego State and Utah were his most recent offer prior to the Longhorns. 

As a sophomore, Boardingham caught 54 balls for 910 yards and 12 touchdowns. He's also a standout in track and finished 4th at the L.A City section finals in the long jump (21’11) and 2nd in the triple jump (43’9) and also qualified for the state meet in the triple jump as a freshman. 

He's a player that looked primed for a huge junior season in the fall but football was shut down in California. Had there been a fall season or even a spring evaluation period, there's no doubt Boardingham would be sitting on 20 + offers from schools all over the country. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Games are won and lost based on fieldgoals every year, but teams can’t afford a scholarship on them because we need a 4th string mlb or 16th WR.

and some years, you really need to scoop up the best three or four tight ends from the Waco-Temple corridor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Mike at Night: Notes on Texas safety targets and more

Reveal hidden contents

— I'm entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Larry Turner-Gooden to end up at Arizona State. The Sun Devils have always been considered a strong contender for the versatile athlete because of multiple ties to the coaching staff. USC was another school Turner-Gooden was high on but the Trojans took a big safety class last year. I'm told one of the biggest reasons Turner-Gooden could pick the Sun Devils soon is that two of his stepbrothers that play JUCO ball are likely to get scholarship offers as well. Turner-Gooden spoke highly of Blake Gideon over the weekend and was adamant about playing out the process, but it feels like a commitment could come sooner rather than later.

— I considered entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas in the race for Aledo safety Bryan Allen Jr tonight. The former LSU commit announced his intentions to make another commit on Monday and I've heard a ton of positive buzz around Texas. I don't quite have enough to put a prediction in yet and if I did put one in, I'd have to make the confidence level lower than I'd like. That said, a source I spoke with said that Blake Gideon has done a great job in this race and Texas, "seems to have all the momentum right now." I'm still digging in with some folks to get more and want to be fairly certain when I put a pick in, but I think this one is trending well for Texas.

— 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong joined Nick and I with a Crystal Ball prediction for Bryce Anderson today. I've continued to check in on Anderson and sources nationally feel bullish on the Longhorns to land the Golden Triangle prospect. I still feel pretty good with my prediction and have been impressed with the job Blake Gideon is doing in his short time on the job. In fact, the tag-team efforts of Gideon and Terry Joseph have been impressive. Both guys are among the most active recruiters on a staff full of guys working overtime on the trail right now.

— Texas re-offered Evanston (IL.) Evanston Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks today. This is notable because Cheeks has always had genuine interest in Texas going back to the last staff. When Coleman Hutzler originally offered him, Cheeks talked openly of wanting to visit Texas. He was excited today when he was re-offered and reached out to tell me the news before posting it. Notre Dame is the Crystal Ball leader right now, but a source I spoke to near Cheeks said the Irish took a hit when Clark Lea left to take the Vanderbilt job. Michigan was another name associated with Cheeks, but Brian Jean-Mary's departure hurt the Wolverines. As of now, it sounds like Cheeks is pretty wide open, and he's always had an interest in seeing Texas. In talking with him today, he talked about how much he enjoyed communications with Jeff Choate and how he feels Texas now has a whole new vibe with Steve Sarkisian in charge. He plans to visit once he's able to, and if that happens, I think Texas is a legitimate contender.

This update is Cheeks.

5 hours ago, Teryor said:

This sucks, think Sark will get someone good to replace him, but obviously would have been better if he stayed especially with so many impending decisions so would rather have the relationships in place 

They should replace him with Danny Etling

• Haha 2

It's interesting that A&M mods think that Texas made a big move with Anderson because they're telling him that he's a corner, and OU mods think that Texas made a big move with Allen because they're telling him that he's a corner. I'm guessing this is Duane Akina crosstrain DBs at all five positions so they're well rounded stuff that's getting telephone gamed 

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

Mike at Night: Notes on Texas safety targets and more

Reveal hidden contents

— I'm entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Larry Turner-Gooden to end up at Arizona State. The Sun Devils have always been considered a strong contender for the versatile athlete because of multiple ties to the coaching staff. USC was another school Turner-Gooden was high on but the Trojans took a big safety class last year. I'm told one of the biggest reasons Turner-Gooden could pick the Sun Devils soon is that two of his stepbrothers that play JUCO ball are likely to get scholarship offers as well. Turner-Gooden spoke highly of Blake Gideon over the weekend and was adamant about playing out the process, but it feels like a commitment could come sooner rather than later.

— I considered entering a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas in the race for Aledo safety Bryan Allen Jr tonight. The former LSU commit announced his intentions to make another commit on Monday and I've heard a ton of positive buzz around Texas. I don't quite have enough to put a prediction in yet and if I did put one in, I'd have to make the confidence level lower than I'd like. That said, a source I spoke with said that Blake Gideon has done a great job in this race and Texas, "seems to have all the momentum right now." I'm still digging in with some folks to get more and want to be fairly certain when I put a pick in, but I think this one is trending well for Texas.

— 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong joined Nick and I with a Crystal Ball prediction for Bryce Anderson today. I've continued to check in on Anderson and sources nationally feel bullish on the Longhorns to land the Golden Triangle prospect. I still feel pretty good with my prediction and have been impressed with the job Blake Gideon is doing in his short time on the job. In fact, the tag-team efforts of Gideon and Terry Joseph have been impressive. Both guys are among the most active recruiters on a staff full of guys working overtime on the trail right now.

— Texas re-offered Evanston (IL.) Evanston Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks today. This is notable because Cheeks has always had genuine interest in Texas going back to the last staff. When Coleman Hutzler originally offered him, Cheeks talked openly of wanting to visit Texas. He was excited today when he was re-offered and reached out to tell me the news before posting it. Notre Dame is the Crystal Ball leader right now, but a source I spoke to near Cheeks said the Irish took a hit when Clark Lea left to take the Vanderbilt job. Michigan was another name associated with Cheeks, but Brian Jean-Mary's departure hurt the Wolverines. As of now, it sounds like Cheeks is pretty wide open, and he's always had an interest in seeing Texas. In talking with him today, he talked about how much he enjoyed communications with Jeff Choate and how he feels Texas now has a whole new vibe with Steve Sarkisian in charge. He plans to visit once he's able to, and if that happens, I think Texas is a legitimate contender.

Words were certainly written here.

sesame street fainting GIF

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

ASU 247 posters seem to have no idea who his stepbrothers are. The coaching ties are Chris Claiborne and Prentice Gill, I think

Anyway, a USC mod thinks that Hyphen might be the best prospect in Cali for 2022, although obviously with the caveat that nobody has played for almost a year and a half. Big eventual recruiting win for ASU

10 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Just based off what we know so far, I have no doubt that sark can hire good people. Harris was unproven in the role, go hire the best. 

I have a little doubt.  Let's not forget that he did try to hire Stoops.  It's hard to make hires that are consistently home runs.  Could Sark have someone in mind that will come and even prove to ultimately end up being better than Harris?  Sure.  But I'll take a bird in the hand with Harris, based on early results, over an unknown at this point.  

11 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

I have a little doubt.  Let's not forget that he did try to hire Stoops.  It's hard to make hires that are consistently home runs.  Could Sark have someone in mind that will come and even prove to ultimately end up being better than Harris?  Sure.  But I'll take a bird in the hand with Harris, based on early results, over an unknown at this point.  

Well we don't have the bird in our hand anymore, so it's about what kind of impact it has down the road. Assuming the hire is a strong one, which there's little reason to believe it won't be considering our staff outside of the Stoops blind spot, that impact should be pretty minimal.

7 hours ago, Teryor said:

This sucks, think Sark will get someone good to replace him, but obviously would have been better if he stayed especially with so many impending decisions so would rather have the relationships in place 

We are just not used to anyone wanting to hire a member of the Texas football staff. Just get the next completely hungry mofo. If you have to rent these dudes for a year r so no big deal.

• Hook 'Em 3

If you combine the updated composite and IT's top 75 from late January, weighted equally, the top 30 actually looks decently accurate in my eyes, give or take an underranking/overranking

1) Quinn Ewers
2) Denver Harris
3) Harold Perkins
4) Evan Stewart
5) Devon Campbell
6) Omari Abor
7) Caleb Burton
'8) Brenen Thompson
9) Bear Alexander
10) Malick Sylla
11) Jaydon Blue
12) Kelvin Banks
13) Bryce Anderson
14) Jordan Hudson
15) Ernest Cooper
16) Jaray Bledsoe
17) PJ Williams
18) Bryan Allen Jr
19) Cade Klubnik
20) Conner Weigman
21) Terrance Brooks
22) Chris Marshall
23) Neto Umeozulu
24) Kam Dewberry
25) Jamarion Miller
26) Armani Winfield
27) Kobie McKinzie
28) Jaylon Guilbeau
29) Chace Biddle
30) Jaylen Early

8 hours ago, Teryor said:

Breaking: Anwar Richardson expected to transition careers. He has intentions to get into the recruiting business and is looking at several high profile openings and already holds multiple offers.

- Anwar

IT:

By Gerry Hamilton, Eric Nahlin and Justin Wells

IT Recruiting Matters: Harold Perkins and Sark, Hudson and Texas, OL’s trending, offer coming for EDGE prospect

The Texas staff continues to work to build momentum in the 2022 class. In Austin, there is a feeling that if Texas can get a couple of top targets to pop in the next couple of weeks to go with the recent verbals by Evan Stewart, Maalik Murphy and Trevell Johnson, the staff has a real opportunity to grab some serious momentum headed into April.

In Thursday’s recruiting matters, IT reveals two targets the Longhorns are making a move with that could add to the potential of the 2022 class.

Harold Perkins talking to Texas a lot:
The Texas Longhorns weren’t initially registering with the 6-foot-2, 200-pound freak athlete outside linebacker, but the staff has continued to plug away. According to a source very close with Perkins, Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has had a number of chats with Perkins of late, along with other members of the staff.

Both Texas and USC are teams making ascending moves in Perkins recruitment according to the source. Texas was in the hunt due to the work of Coleman Hutzler prior to the change in Austin, so Perkins coming back around to having a serious interest in Texas is not a surprise to IT’s source.

Alabama, Texas A&M, LSU and Florida remain the SEC competition, but it is not a lock Perkins ends up in the SEC.

Hudson and Texas gaining steam:
Inside Texas is officially listing Garland 2022 WR Jordan Hudson as a “soft commit”.

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound receiver with special hands, ball skills and body control has been having consistent conversations with members of the Texas staff in the last couple of weeks. The Longhorns have always been a school that has had Hudson’s attention, going back to being on a zoom call with the prior staff with a Texas hat and gear on while being committed to the Sooners.

The Longhorns continue to have a positive in their efforts to flip Hudson, his mom likes Texas.

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II (Plano, TX)
There seems to be no clear consensus on the level of prospect Brooks is, but IT is very high on the do-it-all defensive back and views him as a must-get in the cycle to pair with five-star Denver Harris.

Brooks is passing the offseason time by practicing with his school’s track team, though we don’t think he’s going to actually run. His coaches have clocked him at 10.8 in the 100m with one of them claiming it wasn’t even a 100% all-out sprint. In short, speed doesn’t appear to be an issue, and it isn’t an issue on tape either.

While he continues to stay in shape, the temperature on Brooks’ recruitment is starting to align with IT’s favorable evaluation, especially with Nick Saban’s Alabama recently getting more involved. This is another recruitment, along with Harris’, where the hire of former Texas CB coach Jay Valai isn’t moving the needle as much as Saban’s competitive involvement.

That isn’t to say Bama is the favorite. Brooks Will release a top schools list and based on talking to some people IT believes regardless of how many schools are listed, the ones to watch are Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Bama.

We’re not saying A&M is out of it. His father was instrumental in creating the Wrecking Crew, after all, but the Ags have been a little late to the party and have ground to make up. That May difficult because Brooks is very big on relationships.

To that end, he has a strong bond with Terry Joseph dating back to when Joseph offered at Notre Dame. As IT has written before, both Brooks and his father, former All-Madden teamer Chet Brooks, are fond of Joseph.

Another possible wrench would be if Stanford got involved because the academic prestige rivals Bama’s football prestige.

Oklahoma continues to hang around thanks to the tag team efforts of Alex Grinch and Lincoln Riley.

Texas is the constant, dating back to the previous staff, and possesses a good combination of all the schools listed above, as well as that strong relationship with Terry Joseph.

While IT likes UT’s current position, there’s still plenty of work left to do.

In-state OL recruiting trending:
Texas OC/OL coach Kyle Flood continues to develop relationships, and make headway on 2022 offensive line targets inside the state lines.

There continues to be growing confidence with the Longhorns chances of beating out LSU and Texas for Summer Creek OT Kelvin Banks. Texas continues to have positive dialogue with Atascocita OG/T Kam Dewberry.

Texas continues to look favorable in the recruitments of Arlington Bowie OG Devon Campbell and Austin Westlake OG Connor Robertson.

The recruitment of Allen OT Neto Umeozulu is more of a wildcard right now for Texas. Alabama, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are among the programs in serious contention, along with Texas.

The Longhorns are also in the mix for Frisco High OG Cole Hutson, along with Arizona State, Oklahoma and others.

Texas close to offering Derrick Brown:
Justin Wells spoke to a source at Texas High, and word is the Longhorns are about to offer 2022 DE/OLB prospect Derrick Brown. There is a call today with Brown and the Texas staff at 4:30pm, and the offer could be extended on that call. The 6-foot-5, near 210-pound EDGE prospect is considered a slight lean to Oklahoma due to being close with Clayton Smith.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Booby Brown Followed Texas coaches last night and Searels and Gideon started following each other too. Seems like roach was wrong about that as well.

Brown hasn't tweeted about UNC in 3 weeks either. Like with Carrington, very telling coming from someone who's entire job is recruiting

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This will be a fun cycle. Lots of twists and turns. 

Brooks isn't number 1 or 2 on Saban's board, so how hard he'll press is important. If he goes all in, Brooks goes to Bama, should that happen soon. Brooks isn't the type to do a bunch of decommitting, supposedly. The academic sway with Texas, ND and Stanford put OU in a weaker position than they might think they are. I'm still not bullish on Texas getting him, but it's not a long shot. 

Texas has a shot with Citizen for several reasons, but a big one could be Bama and LSU getting their top targets and having a full TB room. He's a fucking beast, so I'd like to have him. That could be a reason they haven't pushed all in on Miller or Jones yet - they're not totally delusional about a chance with him. That isn't the case with the TB in Baton Rouge. 

Hyphen committing to ASU will be nice and all for them, but they're going to have to win in a big way to justify getting the ink. He's as likely to sign with USC as anyone. ASU losing, USC imploding, and Texas/Murphy staying on him isn't the craziest scenario. He continues to be a guy I covet. 

The Hudson stuff is funny. Apparently recruiting a guy that views himself as an alpha dog WR nationally as a CB wasn't a strong move by the prior staff, specifically because Herman didn't see him as a WR "fit" in his "system". 

I'll believe the Perkins stuff when that dude shows up to move in on campus.

My guess on the possible next commit, in rank of probability: Allen, Campbell, Banks. Anyone got it different? Besides Perroni, of course.

The Baton Rouge tailback, for those like me that had blended them and Citizen into one amorphous "RB from Louisiana we're not signing" in their minds, is Le'veon Moss: https://247sports.com/Player/Leveon-Moss-46082704/

Fun to hear Citizen is seriously in play, just on name alone.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This will be a fun cycle. Lots of twists and turns. 

Brooks isn't number 1 or 2 on Saban's board, so how hard he'll press is important. If he goes all in, Brooks goes to Bama, should that happen soon. Brooks isn't the type to do a bunch of decommitting, supposedly. The academic sway with Texas, ND and Stanford put OU in a weaker position than they might think they are. I'm still not bullish on Texas getting him, but it's not a long shot. 

Texas has a shot with Citizen for several reasons, but a big one could be Bama and LSU getting their top targets and having a full TB room. He's a fucking beast, so I'd like to have him. That could be a reason they haven't pushed all in on Miller or Jones yet - they're not totally delusional about a chance with him. That isn't the case with the TB in Baton Rouge. 

Hyphen committing to ASU will be nice and all for them, but they're going to have to win in a big way to justify getting the ink. He's as likely to sign with USC as anyone. ASU losing, USC imploding, and Texas/Murphy staying on him isn't the craziest scenario. He continues to be a guy I covet. 

The Hudson stuff is funny. Apparently recruiting a guy that views himself as an alpha dog WR nationally as a CB wasn't a strong move by the prior staff, specifically because Herman didn't see him as a WR "fit" in his "system". 

I'll believe the Perkins stuff when that dude shows up to move in on campus.

My guess on the possible next commit, in rank of probability: Allen, Campbell, Banks. Anyone got it different? Besides Perroni, of course.

Picking up Campbell and Banks would be huge after our recent OL dry spell. I hope you are right.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting