Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This will be a fun cycle. Lots of twists and turns. 

Brooks isn't number 1 or 2 on Saban's board, so how hard he'll press is important. If he goes all in, Brooks goes to Bama, should that happen soon. Brooks isn't the type to do a bunch of decommitting, supposedly. The academic sway with Texas, ND and Stanford put OU in a weaker position than they might think they are. I'm still not bullish on Texas getting him, but it's not a long shot. 

Texas has a shot with Citizen for several reasons, but a big one could be Bama and LSU getting their top targets and having a full TB room. He's a fucking beast, so I'd like to have him. That could be a reason they haven't pushed all in on Miller or Jones yet - they're not totally delusional about a chance with him. That isn't the case with the TB in Baton Rouge. 

Hyphen committing to ASU will be nice and all for them, but they're going to have to win in a big way to justify getting the ink. He's as likely to sign with USC as anyone. ASU losing, USC imploding, and Texas/Murphy staying on him isn't the craziest scenario. He continues to be a guy I covet. 

The Hudson stuff is funny. Apparently recruiting a guy that views himself as an alpha dog WR nationally as a CB wasn't a strong move by the prior staff, specifically because Herman didn't see him as a WR "fit" in his "system". 

I'll believe the Perkins stuff when that dude shows up to move in on campus.

My guess on the possible next commit, in rank of probability: Allen, Campbell, Banks. Anyone got it different? Besides Perroni, of course.

I don't have a read on Campbell, or Banks, other than the buzz. I feel like Anderson has to be as likely as either of the OL jumping on board. He's scheduled for what, early April? Hope he's 4th on that list though. Getting those 2 OL in would be even better than kicking you in the balls and rolling your writhing body in front of a bus. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This will be a fun cycle. Lots of twists and turns. 

Brooks isn't number 1 or 2 on Saban's board, so how hard he'll press is important. If he goes all in, Brooks goes to Bama, should that happen soon. Brooks isn't the type to do a bunch of decommitting, supposedly. The academic sway with Texas, ND and Stanford put OU in a weaker position than they might think they are. I'm still not bullish on Texas getting him, but it's not a long shot. 

Texas has a shot with Citizen for several reasons, but a big one could be Bama and LSU getting their top targets and having a full TB room. He's a fucking beast, so I'd like to have him. That could be a reason they haven't pushed all in on Miller or Jones yet - they're not totally delusional about a chance with him. That isn't the case with the TB in Baton Rouge. 

Hyphen committing to ASU will be nice and all for them, but they're going to have to win in a big way to justify getting the ink. He's as likely to sign with USC as anyone. ASU losing, USC imploding, and Texas/Murphy staying on him isn't the craziest scenario. He continues to be a guy I covet. 

The Hudson stuff is funny. Apparently recruiting a guy that views himself as an alpha dog WR nationally as a CB wasn't a strong move by the prior staff, specifically because Herman didn't see him as a WR "fit" in his "system". 

I'll believe the Perkins stuff when that dude shows up to move in on campus.

My guess on the possible next commit, in rank of probability: Allen, Campbell, Banks. Anyone got it different? Besides Perroni, of course.

I've been thinking that Sark might want a bigger back for high leverage short yardage situations. Bijan gets the job done there, but he's gone after 2022, and Citizen fits the bill. If that happens, it'll be interesting to see if this is a three back class since Miller might have game breaking potential 

USC top guy on 247 thinks that Hyphen might be the best prospect in Cali this year, which means he should probably be viewed as a 5* type

I think Allen is supposed to commit in a few days, so it'll be a matter of whether or not someone jumps in ahead of him. I think there are two or four guys who could potentially do that, but it would be more of an Allen vs field thing rather than a specific name vs Allen, I think 

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Greg Biggins) Texas stays active out West, offers Arlis Boardingham

Reveal hidden contents

Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham junior athlete Arlis Boardingham has been on a nice recruiting roll the last few months and just picked up a scholarship offer from Texas on Tuesday.  

"It was pretty sudden,"Boardingham said. "I just started to hear from them a few days ago and then they decided to offer on Tuesday. Jeff Banks is the coach I've been talking with and he seems like a great guy so I'm really excited about this.

"They said they like me as a hybrid wide receiver/ tight end position, basically a flex position where I would do both. I heard Texas is trying to recruit hard out West and in Southern California so we'll see what happens here."

We had a chance to see Boardingham twice last November at a pair of big national events in the SoCal area and he shined at both. 

At the National Preps Showcase, he earned Offensive MVP honors and looked very good running routes and catching the football. At 6-3.5, 235 pounds, Boardingham has a frame that reminds us of former NFL tight end Vernon Davis.

For his size, Boardingham runs well and has made positive strides as a route runner and being more of a natural pass catcher. You love the positional versatility and although a lot of schools like him as a receiver right now, we think he’ll eventually grow in to a tight end and be an absolute matchup nightmare.

At the Stack Sports Showcase (formerly The Opening), Boardingham not only had the best testing Rating in the camp at 116.43, it was the highest Rating at any of the five Showcase events throughout the country. He clocked a 4.71-40, 4.53 shuttle and jumped 36” in the vertical.

Boardingham had scholarship offers from Arizona State, Boston College, Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico prior to the two showcase events, then landed offers from Fresno State, Duke, Kansas, Notre Dame and Oregon State immediately after.  San Diego State and Utah were his most recent offer prior to the Longhorns. 

As a sophomore, Boardingham caught 54 balls for 910 yards and 12 touchdowns. He's also a standout in track and finished 4th at the L.A City section finals in the long jump (21’11) and 2nd in the triple jump (43’9) and also qualified for the state meet in the triple jump as a freshman. 

He's a player that looked primed for a huge junior season in the fall but football was shut down in California. Had there been a fall season or even a spring evaluation period, there's no doubt Boardingham would be sitting on 20 + offers from schools all over the country. 

Arlis Boardingham is not a real person. That’s a made up recruit name from a video game. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

With the relative lack of interesting in-state DEs, any chance we could get RJ Maryland to consider the position?

Unclear whether PK is looking for traditional DEs, or whether he prefers a hybrid OLB type. Perhaps one of the LBs we're looking at eventually spins down to DE (ala Cory Redding), or maybe one of the athletes (Ish Harris ?). 

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

Unclear whether PK is looking for traditional DEs, or whether he prefers a hybrid OLB type. Perhaps one of the LBs we're looking at eventually spins down to DE (ala Cory Redding), or maybe one of the athletes (Ish Harris ?). 

Could Martrell Harris get big enough? His trainer's calling him an edge guy already:

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So #1 or #2 in the country level? Well ok. 

You seem beaten down by the past decade. Ask yourself this question with no context:

Does it seem unreasonable that Texas could sign a #1 or #2 recruiting class in the country?

No, no it does not. Now the problem is that the context exists, of course. But if (get it?) Texas plays well in the upcoming season and has an exciting offense the context instantly changes.

Also, if I'm misinterpreting your post and you're not being a satyanash then it's still your fault.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You seem beaten down by the past decade. Ask yourself this question with no context:

Does it seem unreasonable that Texas could sign a #1 or #2 recruiting class in the country?

No, no it does not. Now the problem is that the context exists, of course. But if (get it?) Texas plays well in the upcoming season and has an exciting offense the context instantly changes.

Also, if I'm misinterpreting your post and you're not being a satyanash then it's still your fault.

This one got me. Well done. 

11 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I forgot CJ Williams, too.

So, theoretically we want 4/5 of those 6? That would certainly gruntle me.

Hudson and Williams would be redundant skill-sets, no? So it's one of those, Winfield, Stewart, and hopefully Coleman. If not Coleman, Thompson. If you take 5, then maybe take both Williams and Hudson, but I'd rather have an abundance of sub 11 guys that need receiver skills than an abundance of WR skills that need speed. 

Also, I haven't seen the name in awhile, but I believe Drayton was connected to Kaden Saunders' family. He committed to pedo state last summer, but he's a burner and someone I would hope we've at least reached out to again. Another lackluster season from Franklin could open the doors there if we've not filled up.

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Hudson and Williams would be redundant skill-sets, no? So it's one of those, Winfield, Stewart, and hopefully Coleman. If not Coleman, Thompson. If you take 5, then maybe take both Williams and Hudson, but I'd rather have an abundance of sub 11 guys that need receiver skills than an abundance of WR skills that need speed. 

Hudson and Williams may be a bit redundant but according to Gerry (who's been pretty weirdly down on Williams) it sounds like Hudson is more explosive and a much better YAC guy. 

Marshall should be included in the WR target list as well assuming we aren't conceding him to aggy yet. 

29 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Also, I haven't seen the name in awhile, but I believe Drayton was connected to Kaden Saunders' family. He committed to pedo state last summer, but he's a burner and someone I would hope we've at least reached out to again. Another lackluster season from Franklin could open the doors there if we've not filled up.

Ah. This posted triggered my member-berries so I wanted to remind everyone else that James Franklin was almost the head coach of Texas if Christine Del Conte had her druthers. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Chatter on the 247 board, and apparently has also been stated by Perroni, is that Jaray Bledsoe may have some work to do/issues in the classroom.

Not to discount anyone, but if we have to lose a player we want the best possible outcome is for them not to qualify. After counting against aTm or OU. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting