Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not to discount anyone, but if we have to lose a player we want the best possible outcome is for them not to qualify. After counting against aTm or OU. 

Someone else posted that we've dropped off on communication with him lately and that aggy is pushing hard for a commitment.  Could just be another LotusHorn though.

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Someone else posted that we've dropped off on communication with him lately and that aggy is pushing hard for a commitment.  Could just be another LotusHorn though.

That wouldn't be shocking. Davis started following a bunch of 22s:

https://247sports.com/player/bishop-thomas-46111702/

https://247sports.com/player/domonique-orange-46100297/

https://247sports.com/player/quency-wiggins-46109451/

https://247sports.com/player/dejon-roney-46097193/

https://247sports.com/player/kj-miles-46054149/

https://247sports.com/player/justice-finkley-46058853/

https://247sports.com/player/zxavian-harris-46085727/

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That wouldn't be shocking. Davis started following a bunch of 22s:

Really expected to see Texas re-offer and engage with Anthony Lucas but it doesn't look likely. 

https://247sports.com/player/anthony-lucas-46097888/

also, it looks like Davis did start following Jadon Scarlett the Coram Deo kid we talked a little bit about a while back. 

https://247sports.com/player/jadon-scarlett-46101759/

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

That's fuckin good!

That is fuckin good. Like, unbelievably good.

For some context, there's an old study that attempts to approximate the 1 rep max of a player based on reps at 225. It's consistently pegging the max within 10 lbs for ~2/3 participants, but is significantly more accurate for RBs (specifically those between 194-218lbs). Extrapolating a 1 rep max from the top 5 RB performers from the 2020 NFL combine:

Name Ht/Wt Reps ~max
Scottie Phillips  5’8, 209lbs 29 419.29
Sewo Olonilua  6'3, 232lbs 25 392.05
Benny Lemay  5’8, 221lbs 24 385.24
James Robinson  5’9, 219lbs 24 385.24
AJ Dillon 6'0, 247lbs 23 378.43
J.K. Dobbins 5'9, 209lbs 23 378.43
Joshua Kelley  5'11, 212lbs 23 378.43

So, as a Junior in high school, Blue is repping a couple plates under what a top 5 NFL draft guy is maxing at, most likely. Idk how many of these guys also ran sub 11 in hs, but JK Dobbins didn't. Like everyone else, I love Blue's tape. But, if the strength is real and he retains the speed, he could be more special than I have considered. It's going to be interesting to see where they take the weight's of the rb room. We'll know pretty quickly if it was Drayton's brilliant idea to blow Ingram up to 240 or whether he just didn't have the balls to stop it. 

Back in my high school powerlifting days I purposefully classed up to avoid the 198's or 202's or whatever the fuck that division was. You can get grouped with these strapped dudes with short limbs that can push big weight. Freaks. We had a meet in Taylor and one of our guys was in the heavyweights division, squatted like 750ish. Bar bent over his back kind of weight. I was spotting him for warm up with something nominal, but definitely in excess of 600lbs, and this dude from the 198's rolls over asking for next on the rack. We start to rerack when [redacted] was done, but he stops us, puts the weight back on, and reps it without a spotter. But, those mfers weren't running sub 11, unless it was to the shitter after pounding creatine after weigh-in. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

That is fuckin good. Like, unbelievably good.

For some context, there's an old study that attempts to approximate the 1 rep max of a player based on reps at 225. It's consistently pegging the max within 10 lbs for ~2/3 participants, but is significantly more accurate for RBs (specifically those between 194-218lbs). Extrapolating a 1 rep max from the top 5 RB performers from the 2020 NFL combine:

Name Ht/Wt Reps ~max
Scottie Phillips  5’8, 209lbs 29 419.29
Sewo Olonilua  6'3, 232lbs 25 392.05
Benny Lemay  5’8, 221lbs 24 385.24
James Robinson  5’9, 219lbs 24 385.24
AJ Dillon 6'0, 247lbs 23 378.43
J.K. Dobbins 5'9, 209lbs 23 378.43
Joshua Kelley  5'11, 212lbs 23 378.43

So, as a Junior in high school, Blue is repping a couple plates under what a top 5 NFL draft guy is maxing at, most likely. Idk how many of these guys also ran sub 11 in hs, but JK Dobbins didn't. Like everyone else, I love Blue's tape. But, if the strength is real and he retains the speed, he could be more special than I have considered. It's going to be interesting to see where they take the weight's of the rb room. We'll know pretty quickly if it was Drayton's brilliant idea to blow Ingram up to 240 or whether he just didn't have the balls to stop it. 

Back in my high school powerlifting days I purposefully classed up to avoid the 198's or 202's or whatever the fuck that division was. You can get grouped with these strapped dudes with short limbs that can push big weight. Freaks. We had a meet in Taylor and one of our guys was in the heavyweights division, squatted like 750ish. Bar bent over his back kind of weight. I was spotting him for warm up with something nominal, but definitely in excess of 600lbs, and this dude from the 198's rolls over asking for next on the rack. We start to rerack when [redacted] was done, but he stops us, puts the weight back on, and reps it without a spotter. But, those mfers weren't running sub 11, unless it was to the shitter after pounding creatine after weigh-in. 

Also, two of those dudes are linebacker size.

Gerry and IT were hinting today that we've made up some ground with Perkins and we have a chance.

I'm not sure why specifically closetojumping has Perkins as a complete non-starter but I'll trust him making a definitive statement like that over the people hawking subs and assume there is nothing there.

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Gerry and IT were hinting today that we've made up some ground with Perkins and we have a chance.

I'm not sure why specifically closetojumping has Perkins as a complete non-starter but I'll trust him making a definitive statement like that over the people hawking subs and assume there is nothing there.

It's us vs the entire SEC. We're going to get fucked from every angle on the negative recruiting side.

Nick Harris on Perkins

Spoiler

Wednesday's 247Sports rankings update saw Cy Park 2022 outside linebacker Harold Perkins take another leap towards the top as he continues to separate himself as one of the top players in not only the state of Texas, but in the entire country.

Perkins now sits as the No. 14 overall prospect in the country, according to 247Sports Composite, and the recruiting attention has certainly followed the hype. Big name programs like Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Oregon have all been in on the No. 1 linebacker in the country, but Perkins continues to cast a wide net with his options as he has also been in contact with Notre Dame, Texas, USC, TCU, Oregon, Texas A&M and Arizona.

When it comes to Perkins' stance on Texas, Steve Sarkisian and his staff has made a big impression since arriving in Austin as their efforts have moved the Longhorns into the conversation in this recruitment.

"I’m feeling Texas right now," Perkins said. "Not even just because of the people that’s committed but I’ve been talking to Coach Sark a lot lately. Those conversations have been really good to say the least."

Steve Sarkisian has taken this recruitment upon himself with the assistance of linebackers coach Jeff Choate as their efforts have created an impression on Perkins that has him seeing the Texas football program rounding the curve.

"It might sound funny but they sound like winners," he said. "It’s like he expects to be good. Coming from Alabama I can understand that."

With his options remaining pretty wide open and more schools coming into the mix as time goes on, Perkins is in no rush to decide on a school. In fact, he plans on waiting until after the early signing period to make a decision with an announcement at the Under Armour All-American Game being the most likely option.

At 6-foot-2.5, 200 pounds, Perkins is the No. 14 overall prospect in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 1 linebacker in the country and the No. 4 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, utdlc said:

"It might sound funny but they sound like winners," he said. "It’s like he expects to be good. Coming from Alabama I can understand that."

Shows how far our program has fallen. 

I think Sark is going to change the attitude and make us big time winners again.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NorLa Horns said:

You think thays bad. Try and delete Disney plus. Smh. 

48 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

LA Fitness wins this easily.

12 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Comcast says hi

7 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Vivint says hold my beer.

SydneyCarton says fuck all of you and I hope each and every one of you shitbirds have your balls slammed repeatedly and viciously in a car door. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Shea Dixon did an LSU mock, and the only Texas target he had in the class was Citizen

Did he have Moss in the same class? Do you mind posting it? It’s relevant on several threads here. It will suck if LSU takes both guys. 

1 hour ago, CowtownHorn said:

image.gif.d79454bdb1020d6e8c1f3aeca66738a3.gif

Allegedly, and it was in this one or Rambo 2, not sure, but Stallone subsisted on a diet of chicken, broccoli, and water ahead of this filming and during it. Coincidentally, that’s also the diet I am currently on in order to be at peak performance for the Surly Sprint-off, Boxing Night, Games and Fair on September 4th, 2021. 

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It'd be interesting to see how much overlap there has been between UW and ND defensive targets over the last several years--and how those battles went

I second this lazy request from Bodacious Bevo for a random recruitnik to perform. I can promise to rep 20 of the poster’s posts in exchange for the effort. 

Edited by closetojumping

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting