Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

A) lol Demarco fucking suuucks at recruiting. I remember when he was hired they thought he'd be awesome because he was young, black, and drove a cool car.

He had a rep w/ the Cowboys for being a bit stand offish with everyone, media and teammates. Not sure why they thought he was going to be some captivating salesman for them. That's not his personality.  

Mike at Night: New Crystal Ball, latest on Harris

Spoiler

— I wrote last night that I wasn't quite ready to place a Crystal Ball in favor of Texas for Aledo safety Bryan Allen.  After doing some digging today, I feel good about putting the prediction in.  I talked at length about how Blake Gideon has been huge in safety recruiting lately, and all of the momentum seems to be on the side of Texas right now.  In talking with folks around Aledo, it sounds like Texas has done a great job as of late closing some distance and then pulling ahead for the former LSU commit.  Allen is set to make a decision on Monday.

— I checked around on the status of Texas Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris.  He's currently mulling a job offer to join the LA Rams as an assistant coach, and his future at Texas is definitely up in the air.  One source I spoke with said they felt he was leaning toward making the jump and that an opportunity to coach at the pro level may be too much to turn down.  Regardless, Harris has been doing his job and was on the call with Steve Sarkisian helping to close the deal for Rueben Owens.  Texas invested in Harris making him Director of Recruiting and keeping his on-field coaching dreams going, but it would be hard to knock him for taking this opportunity.  

— If Texas had an opening at Director of Recruiting, they would have a long line of folks wanting to fill it.  Four names I'd consider if I were making the decision would be Mississippi State's Mason Smith, Notre Dame analyst Kerry Cooks, UCLA's Ethan Young and Oregon Director of Player Personnel Don Johnson Jr.  We've talked a bit about the first three in the past and Johnson could be another key to help unlock the west coast.  A former Portland (Ore.) high school coach, Johnson has been a key member of Mario Cristobal's personnel department.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mike at Night: New Crystal Ball, latest on Harris

Hide contents

— I wrote last night that I wasn't quite ready to place a Crystal Ball in favor of Texas for Aledo safety Bryan Allen.  After doing some digging today, I feel good about putting the prediction in.  I talked at length about how Blake Gideon has been huge in safety recruiting lately, and all of the momentum seems to be on the side of Texas right now.  In talking with folks around Aledo, it sounds like Texas has done a great job as of late closing some distance and then pulling ahead for the former LSU commit.  Allen is set to make a decision on Monday.

— I checked around on the status of Texas Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris.  He's currently mulling a job offer to join the LA Rams as an assistant coach, and his future at Texas is definitely up in the air.  One source I spoke with said they felt he was leaning toward making the jump and that an opportunity to coach at the pro level may be too much to turn down.  Regardless, Harris has been doing his job and was on the call with Steve Sarkisian helping to close the deal for Rueben Owens.  Texas invested in Harris making him Director of Recruiting and keeping his on-field coaching dreams going, but it would be hard to knock him for taking this opportunity.  

— If Texas had an opening at Director of Recruiting, they would have a long line of folks wanting to fill it.  Four names I'd consider if I were making the decision would be Mississippi State's Mason Smith, Notre Dame analyst Kerry Cooks, UCLA's Ethan Young and Oregon Director of Player Personnel Don Johnson Jr.  We've talked a bit about the first three in the past and Johnson could be another key to help unlock the west coast.  A former Portland (Ore.) high school coach, Johnson has been a key member of Mario Cristobal's personnel department.

So is Harris staying? If so, let’s party. 

7 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

He had a rep w/ the Cowboys for being a bit stand offish with everyone, media and teammates. Not sure why they thought he was going to be some captivating salesman for them. That's not his personality.  

Hire youngish black former alum NFL player, hope to prosper?  We should have just made Huffy DB coach whenever he wanted the job.  I honestly think that people wringing their hands over Carrington and Harris leaving are being dramatic.  There is no shortage of young, charismatic, African-American guys in the coaching/recruiting world.  I’m confident we can hire the right ones.

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Wait a got damn minute. I know everybody is riding the all gas no brakes momentum right now, but are we just going to pretend that the LSU update didn't happen?  My head is about to explode from the names on there. When Trevonte Citizen doesn't even crack the top 5 all name list in a single update, you know shit is out of wack. Decoldest Crawford might be the single greatest name ever. Jaheim Oatis. JaDarian Rhym. D'arco Perkins-McAllister. J'mond Tapp. Shone Washington. J'mari Monette. Laterrance Welch. Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me? 

Damn. I didn't even look at that update but I'm glad you did. "Decoldest" is the stuff of legend. It's one of those great ideas you wish you thought of first. That class might not be number 1 in the composite but it will be number 1 in our hearts.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

So "Sark after Dark" is a real thing?  I thought Evan Stewart committing late was a one off, but now Rueben Owens.  Coincidence?  When did "Sark after Dark" become a thing?  First I heard the term was in the coaching search thread which obviously predates Evan Stewart.  

Reason I ask is because I wondered if this was a Surly created thing.  

7 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Gonna just start connecting some dots. IT calls Hudson a soft commit, Murphy and Hudson are besties, Murphy said there’s a name out there that’s gonna drop that he can’t tell us yet...hmmmm

Hudson also liked this tweet two days ago. https://twitter.com/texasfan691/status/1365122428536520705?s=21

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

So "Sark after Dark" is a real thing?  I thought Evan Stewart committing late was a one off, but now Rueben Owens.  Coincidence?  When did "Sark after Dark" become a thing?  First I heard the term was in the coaching search thread which obviously predates Evan Stewart.  

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Re-post in the Stupid Questions thread. 

Done

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

This is why we can’t have nice things. 

• Haha 2

So I read last night about Owens and it was surprising to see that our... shall we say ground game has gone from basically nothing to what seems like full speed ahead this quickly, albeit for a 2023.

Looking to the 2022 class, are there any targets of ours in this class with an uncle that we could now legitimately have a shot at?

I remember seeing somewhere on an aggy or OU board screenshot some poster accusing us of making a big move in the Perkins recruitment? I’m not sure about other names, but it’d be nice to know now and follow those recruiting outcomes.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting