Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

The highest rated QB2s I could find (might be missing one or two higher than 2018 Texas) in recent classes. Maalik is currently a .9838, but I think ESPN might drop that some when they update in April 

USC 2021 .9665

Texas 2020 .9664

Washington 2018 .9559

Texas 2018 .9021

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

No. We took 2 QBs last class. One is a PWO, but had offers from other schools.

Taking 2 QBs never works, and you end up wasting a year or two of development on another player that could have contributed.

Tua and Mac Jones combined to be moderately successful. "Works" is an interesting choice of word. If nothing else, in most cases you end up with the better of the 2 Qbs taken

• Hook 'Em 1

At the risks of being negged for asking a non positive question during the surge in stud recruiting by Sark to kick off his first real class,  is anyone concerned about where we are with DL recruiting?  

To my amateur eye it appears we are behind on the top guys with the exception of the DL from North Shore. Unexpected with Bo imo.  out of state push coming?

Someone want to rub my balls and make me feel better?

52 minutes ago, ousux said:

Same for me except no IT sub. If I include the bill for internet, I'm now paying more than the "too expensive" cable I ran away fromemoji85.png

The networks ruined it. I have Google Fiber currently and love the service but may look into a package from Spectrum.

nvm with all the dumb shit fee's and etc it ends up coming out worse

Edited by BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Tua and Mac Jones combined to be moderately successful. "Works" is an interesting choice of word. If nothing else, in most cases you end up with the better of the 2 Qbs taken

Texas has had multiple QB classes in the past, please tell me the last time it worked out?

2006 - Snead and Harris

2007 - Chiles and Kinne

2010 - Wood and McCoy

2012 - Brewer and Overstreet

2015 - Locksley and Merrick

TBD

2018 - Rising and Thompson

2020 - Card and Jackson

Bolded guys transferred before their eligibility had expired.

But this is just wishcasting because if Ewers flips Murphy isn't signing with Texas, and if Ewers was committed right now no one would be talking about a 2nd QB in the class.

Edited by HtownHorn

Okie lite or Ohio state?  

If it’s osu and Ewers is showing interest in us, I’m conflicted.  I’m sure it’s eating Ewers up seeing Sark clean up the best skill players in the state and our recruiting in general.  I’m sure this is probably what he had envisioned when he first committed here.  If he wants back in, what do you do here?  I’m pretty damn high on Maalik and recruits seem to naturally gravitate towards him.  He also has an elite arm but is inexperienced.  In addition, Ewers has proven to bail if things aren’t going completely well.  He’d be a guy to bail and flip elsewhere if we didn’t win big.  

All Ewers has “proven” is that he couldn’t bring himself to stay committed to an underachieving asshole like Tom Herman.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

At the risks of being negged for asking a non positive question during the surge in stud recruiting by Sark to kick off his first real class,  is anyone concerned about where we are with DL recruiting?  

To my amateur eye it appears we are behind on the top guys with the exception of the DL from North Shore. Unexpected with Bo imo.  out of state push coming?

It’s an interesting cycle for Texas DL.  You have a stud in Bear that straight up got bought by UGA.  Too bad Sark and company didn't have time to get into that recruitment.  You then have the elite DL that has sooner parents and that will be hard to win.  Then we have the kid whose smart and wants to play at Stanford.  Outside of tbat, you have Ross from Northshore and that should be a recruitment we win but with the limited options, he’s probably going to get a lot of attention from all of the regional schools.  I think the talent is great at the top but it’s not a deep year in my opinion.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Well, I'd say that's a really good description of why it worked out. You take 2 because of the possibility of transfers. When one leaves, it's because the other one is better. So, we bring in two guys and get to keep the best one. What's not working there?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

UGA purchasing Bear, Bledsoe apparently being a potato in the classroom, and us getting zero traction with Abor has definitely meant we have to reset the board outside of Ross. Hence the OOS follows/offers going out from Davis.

*oh and as @victory88 says, Cooper's a rough pull from Stanford

Edited by texifornia

Just now, victory88 said:

It’s an interesting cycle for Texas DL.  You have a stud in Bear that straight up got bought by UGA.  Too bad Sark and company didn't have time to get into that recruitment.  You then have the elite DL that has sooner parents and that will be hard to win.  Then we have the kid whose smart and wants to play at Stanford.  Outside of tbat, you have Ross from Northshore and that should be a recruitment we win but with the limited options, he’s probably going to get a lot of attention from all of the regional schools.  I think the talent is great at the top but it’s not a deep year in my opinion.

There are plenty of "grow an end" offers out to ATH/OLBs, too. 

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Well, I'd say that's a really good description of why it worked out. You take 2 because of the possibility of transfers. When one leaves, it's because the other one is better. So, we bring in two guys and get to keep the best one. What's not working there?

They all sucked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I got the HULU Live w/ Disney+ and ESPN+

So couple that with my IT subscription we can conclude that I am proper fucked and will never be able to cancel? FUCK ME!

They will be charging your grandchildren.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

My love for this tweet is unseemly for a man of my age. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

RECRUITING

DB BJ Allen, Aledo (2022): Texas-OU. Red River Shootout. Bryan Allen Jr, former LSU pledge, will announce his decision on Monday. After the Sooners looked to have the slim lead, Texas appears to be in prime position.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie (2022): Kyle Flood deserves a hug or a cuddle after the ground he's made up with the in-state offensive linemen. Campbell is a prime example. Prioritizing the position was a need and Sark and company are doing just that. The rest of UT's 2022 class gets honorable mention for their recruiting efforts - Jaydon Blue, Maalik Murphy, and Evan Stewart - are the ambassadors for this cycle.

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (2022): Even with LSU and Texas A&M pushing, the state's top tackle prospect remains enamored in the Horns and the class they're building in 2022.

OL Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake (2022): Cal and USC remain UT's biggest obstacles so far.

DL Kristopher Ross, North Shore (2022): While Denver Harris gets the five-star treatment, schools also know the value of Ross. He's set to announce on March 23rd and Texas is the team to beat.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (2022): While OU appears to be full at receiver, UT and Texas A&M continue to push hard for the four-star speedster. A&M has upped the ante over the last week. Jimbo just coached his best season at A&M, yet the overall momentum seems to be sliding to the Longhorns. The Ags will pull out all the stops for some crucial recruiting wins.

DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook (2022): The recruiting of Terry Jospeh and Blake Gideon has led UT to being in a great spot with the Beaumont native. Texas A&M has dialed up the pressure too, and they had a Zoom meeting with the four-star ballhawk last night.

OL Kam Dewberry, Humble Atascocita (2022): While Texas continues to trend well for Banks and Campbell, the north Houston product is also picking up steam with the Horns. Like Anderson, Dewberry had a Zoom meeting with Texas A&M last night.

QB Cade Klubnik, Austin Westlake (2022): The four-star signal-caller is watching the dominoes fall all around him. He's been hearing from Clemson more lately, and if Ty Simpson commits to Alabamathen Klubnik might be their next offer, perhaps even this weekend. If so, IT expects Klubnik to jump on Dabo's offer. There are also whispers that Ohio State reached out as well, but those are unconfirmed. Who knows?

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (2022): The 5-foot-10, 200-pound tailback from East Texas has impressed the UT staff. He has incredible burst and speed at a place that breeds it. He's tallied 4,070 yards and 62 touchdowns over the last few seasons.

Nine offers including Baylor, Iowa State, Minnesota, and Colorado, and even though he's never heard from the Texas staff, we believe that could change today. We see a smaller Rhamondre Stevenson. Bobby Burton mentioned Rock Cartwright. In the past we’ve noted pinball backs are fun to watch. Mini bowling balls are too.

And, finally...Texas commit Maalik Murphy told IT last week he could be headed to Austin this weekend. That appears to be the case. He can’t meet with coaches, but he can familiarize himself with the school and city.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Not to be a downer, but when Murphy committed wasn't it widely reported that Ewers wasn't afraid of competition? Why would he care if Ohio State reached out to Klubnik?

Either way, at this point it seems clear we'll be in fine shape even if he doesn't flip back. Full speed ahead for Manning imo.

Much of the in-state mo last summer was very Milroe oriented. When he backed off, all of the "loyal to the soil" chatter stopped and everyone was on decommit watch. Rinse, repeat with Ewers. 

This cycle, there doesn't appear to be one guy. Winfield and Blue are active, no doubt, but it's not a qb, and I'm guessing this mo will absolutely have more staying power than reliance on a pied piper. Frankly, Sark's offense doesn't need the next Trevor Lawrence and what we have in the room already is enough to pass on Quinn with Eyes on Manning, as you've said. 

21 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas has had multiple QB classes in the past, please tell me the last time it worked out?

2006 - Snead and Harris

2007 - Chiles and Kinne

2010 - Wood and McCoy

TBD

2020 - Card and Jackson

But this is just wishcasting because if Ewers flips Murphy isn't signing with Texas, and if Ewers was committed right now no one would be talking about a 2nd QB in the class.

Only 1 QB has worked at all this past decade, and the failures had nothing to do with their being in multiple qb classes.

Edited by Gene Parmesan
  • Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

2006 - Snead and Harris

2007 - Chiles and Kinne

2010 - Wood and McCoy

TBD

2020 - Card and Jackson

Bringing in two guys to compete and the lesser one transferring out is the situation working out.

If we could bring in 40 scholarship players every year and then let the ones who don't get playing time transfer out, would you not consider that a good thing for the program?

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 6

A&M has upped the ante over the last week. Jimbo just coached his best season at A&M, yet the overall momentum seems to be sliding to the Longhorns. The Ags will pull out all the stops for some crucialrecruiting wins.

Translation: Frodo has called Meemaw to increase the number of bags being dropped. 

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Bringing in two guys to compete and the lesser one transferring out is the situation working out.

If we could bring in 40 scholarship players every year and then let the ones who don't get playing time transfer out, would you not consider that a good thing for the program?

Exactly.  The only problem with 2 QB classes is getting 2 quality QBs willing to sign in the same class.  With the current transfer rules that shouldn't be as big a deal as it once was.  

32 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Not to be a downer, but when Murphy committed wasn't it widely reported that Ewers wasn't afraid of competition? Why would he care if Ohio State reached out to Klubnik?

Either way, at this point it seems clear we'll be in fine shape even if he doesn't flip back. Full speed ahead for Manning imo.

my reading of it was that Ohio State reached out to Klubnik because they are thinking Ewers might flip.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They all sucked.

Does the calculus change if they're both top-75 guys? Because comparing a hypothetical Ewers-Murphy class to the litany of JAGs Texas took at the position in the past 15 years seems silly. Anyways, if you feel compelled to respond to this, I'll propose we start a thread on the idea of 2 QB classes rather than taking attention from the red-hot '22 recruiting chatter 🤝

Just now, TommyGufano said:

Does the calculus change if they're both top-75 guys? Because comparing a hypothetical Ewers-Murphy class to the litany of JAGs Texas took at the position in the past 15 years seems silly. Anyways, if you feel compelled to respond to this, I'll propose we start a thread on the idea of 2 QB classes rather than taking attention from the red-hot '22 recruiting chatter 🤝

Demas has a better chance of leading the SEC in catches and yards than Texas does at signing Ewers and Murphy.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

I think there is some assumption that Ewers and Klubnik may not like each other after the state title game also. I don't think I saw Klubnik in one but Westlake made those Ewers shirts, was generally talking a lot of shit. Could just be a friendly rivalry but may be some actual animosity there. 

Ewers may be fine being in a two qb class in theory but out on being in a two qb class with Klubnik specifically. Like someone else said, if tOSU did reach out to Klubnik it was as a Ewers contingency and not as a second qb take. 

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

I think there is some assumption that Ewers and Klubnik may not like each other after the state title game also. I don't think I saw Klubnik in one but Westlake made those Ewers shirts, was generally talking a lot of shit. Could just be a friendly rivalry but may be some actual animosity there. 

Ewers may be fine being in a two qb class in theory but out on being in a two qb class with Klubnik specifically. Like someone else said, if tOSU did reach out to Klubnik it was as a Ewers contingency and not as a second qb take. 

Oh they definitely dislike each other. Yeah, didn't think about that angle.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting