Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Like any smart 16/17 y/o who is rated the best QB in their class would have, and probably should have. I wouldn't have wanted my promising young star athlete kid walking into Tom's mess.

I have no ill-will toward him (or any other kid), but he bailed and immediately committed to tOSU when it started to look like Herman may not be there after the season.  He did not do anything wrong, but he also didn't give the season a chance to play out.  

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That reminds me...

Ian Boyd: What makes a 5-star recruit? Considering the top Texas talents in 2021 and 2022

Ol' Ian may want to look at this. Texas has already had a QB with a perfect composite score. Ewers is not the first in history.

https://herosports.com/247sports-recruiting-rankings-trevor-lawrence-vince-young-ahah/

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

IRwbaiS.gif

I'm at the point where I'm completely comfortable with however the Ewers thing plays out. Sark is not an aloof asshole who is going to bungle this thing. Either Ewers will go to Ohio State and we'll sign Maalik and go all in on Arch next cycle or Sark will navigate Ewers flipping back and we'll get the number one player in the whole fucking class with little blowback. 

Even if small, there is a chance Maalik could stay in the class with Ewers. I have believe the staff let him know they wouldn't turn down Ewers if he wanted in and he seems like a smart kid who knows he may have a longer development curve from the interviews I've seen. Even if he does look around this staff will navigate keeping the rest of the class intact given what we've seen so far. I love the position we are in no matter what happens. 

You're talking about Texas Football post-2009. There is absolutely a chance we fuck it up somehow.

If Ewers is going to flip to us, I would rather be it a silent for now and not be public until the first NSD. We have a great thing going with this class that I wouldn't want to mess with by potentially having a friction among the two alpha QBs and/or one of them decommitting. Also, if we don't have a good season, there is always a chance Ewers flips again to another school during mid season and cause disruption to the class.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Irieguy said:

Worrying that signing the #1 recruit in the country would be bad for the rest of the class is quite the take. 😂

No, having 2 QBs can be bad for the class. Maalik plays in the same 7x7 circuit as many of our targets and he appears to be a good leader. I am worried if he decommits, it will mess with the momentum and chemistry.  That is my take.

38 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

If Ewers is going to flip to us, I would rather be it a silent for now and not be public until the first NSD. We have a great thing going with this class that I wouldn't want to mess with by potentially having a friction among the two alpha QBs and/or one of them decommitting. Also, if we don't have a good season, there is always a chance Ewers flips again to another school during mid season and cause disruption to the class.

You don’t keep something like that silent amongst the recruits for very long.

IT

Spoiler

OLB/DE Derrick Brown, Texas High (2022):

It was only a matter of time before UT offered the three-star from Texarkana.

At 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds, Brown had a breakout junior season for the Tigers with 67 tackles, 20 for loss, six sacks, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, and one interception.

The offers began to flow along the way. Oklahoma, Penn State, TCU, Colorado, and Arizona State are among the double-digit list that continues to grow.

Who pursues Brown the most?

“OU, Baylor, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Ole Miss, and Minnesota,” said Brown. “Really OU and Baylor.”

He’s close friends with former Texas High teammate and current Sooners LB Clayton Smith. He has big shoes to fill in replacing Smith, last year’s team leader for the Tigers.

“I learned a little of everything from Clayton,” said Brown. “I learned how to take control when it seems like things are falling apart. Keeping the team together, and pushing ourselves to the limit."

Brown is ready to take that torch from Smith.

“I want to be a better leader, work on my speed, agility, and pass-rush skills,” said Brown, who is one of the program’s hardest workers, per T-High staffers.

Regarding recruiting: “Spoke with Coach Sark and Coach Choate at 4:30pm (Thursday). Unbelievable.”

The Texas offer certainly got his attention. If you’ll remember, Smith was a Longhorn fan for a spell. Brown knows Texas' global network could be a game-changer.

He’s got the frame for WDE, but still has plenty of athleticism. He's a former basketball prospect. Plus, Coach Kwiatkowski likes his defensive ends to have some outside backer to them. Brown checks the box.

##########

Gerry Hamilton gathered intel on 2022 Spearman WR Brenen Thompson.

Thompson wants to take a student visit to Texas A&M next weekend. He also intends to see Texas at some point. The Texas Relays would seem like an opportune time, but the annual track showcase is limited to college athletes this year and will not have anyone from the high school ranks. Still, Thompson wants to make the nine hour trek to the state capital to see the Forty Acres himself.

Even with three receivers committed, Lincoln Riley and the Oklahoma Sooners are still after the 10.32 sprinter. Other big names, like Clemson and Alabama, remain in pursuit as well and maintain regular contact with one of the state's fastest players.

Despite the attention and schools pushing for him, Thompson is in no rush with his recruiting process and does not have a timeline for his decision.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Thompson gives me a Demani Richardson feel this weekend..

Would definitely suck to lose him. Also would be a really, really bad fit based on what Jimbo looks for in a WR. 

Seems like it’d be a transfer after sophomore year kind of situation when he’s just running jet sweeps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

It would hurt us with Coleman, who is unlikely anyway, but the rest of the skill guys are Texas kids and they would have no issues with Maalik or Quinn.

But yeah, Quinn had his shot, and blew it twice. You move forward with Maalik.

He was naming Cali kids in that video yesterday, too. I don't know if they're real prospects or not. That's what I mean about not having enough info to tell what the impact would be.

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

He was naming Cali kids in that video yesterday, too. I don't know if they're real prospects or not. That's what I mean about not having enough info to tell what the impact would be.

I think he helps with the Cali pipeline Sark is trying to establish. I have to think a lot of thought went into taking Maalik's commitment this early in the cycle. They could very easily have gone with Klubnik.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting