Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 hours ago, Newy25 said:

For those of us who are not as skilled in scouting as others, what exactly makes this guy a project? Usually I hear that about a gifted athlete who had a lot of work to do on their mechanics and timing. This guy is slinging it accurately all over the field with ease. This doesn’t look like a project at all. 

Zero good game reps. The dude ahead of him is now at UNLV. He's just got mediocre late game film now. Thanks COVID.

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Hau Pham said:

I remember Newton... I think they had an interesting running back named Darwin Barlow in the 2019 class. Pretty sure Barlow is at TCU right now. Looks like they’ve offered Gatson already and could have a built-in connection with him.

Newton was also home to James Sylvester (Baylor) and Tamauzia Brown (JUCO/grades) who had shady recruitments. With “coach” jkb back at Baylor as director of scouting or whatever, I’d imagine he will play a role in any Newton recruitment and I’d be wary of getting over involved — based on history. 

Yeah, I wouldn’t consider Maalik a project exactly or raw.  He’s been coached by some of the best QB coaches/trainers since he was in middle school.  He’s got a cannon of a an arm and accuracy is one of his strengths.  He won the most accurate QB award at one of the camps on the west coast.  He simply needs more game reps.  If he plays well in his limited season this spring, he’ll be a 5 star QB.  Outside of Ewers, most QBs don’t have an arm like he does.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

I remember Newton...I think they had an interesting running back named Anthony Byerly in the 1982 class.

Yeah we played them on the way to state title in 81.  We contained Byerly in 1st half and then he shredded us in 2nd half.  Score was tied and we ran out the clock on the goal line to win on possessions because we weren't certain we would stop him if we left any time on the clock.

Beat the snot out of Gilmer in the title game...also beat the snot out of Westlake that year also.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

Super K on Brandon Harris

Hide contents

Earlier this week, Texas Director of Recruiting, Brandon Harris was offered a NFL position. Soon after the offer was made, we were told that Harris would likely be accepting the position.

I am told that this may no longer be the case.

Source indicated that coach Sarkisian spoke with Harris today and was apparently extremely convincing. I’m told he laid out a compelling vision for Harris’ future growth at Texas.

As of Friday evening, I’m told things went from he was as good as gone to, he’s leaning towards staying.

Sark-  “Hey Brandon, your title is Director of Recruiting.  There is no recruiting in the NFL.  You know that right? “

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

That's the definition of raw! And that's ok!

I figure raw is used to describe someone like Jaqindon Jackson who has talent but has never been coached up to play the QB position and needs to be molded basically to play the position.

Murphy is inexperienced in varsity football.  He’s played and been coached QB his whole basically.  Not that I think Mike Roach can evaluate but he said he was quite advanced with his mechanics and throws when he went to see him out in 7 on 7.  Dude was consistently making NFL throws and putting the ball on the dot.  It’s why all of the evaluators have him in 5 star territory without much game film.

I thought I read here that Sarks system is very QB friendly in the sense that the QBs don’t have to think too much when making their progressions.  I trust Sark to coach this kid up.  Just need to get our O-line to be able to protect because Murphy’s feet look slow.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I figure raw is used to describe someone like Jaqindon Jackson who has talent but has never been coached up to play the QB position and needs to be molded basically to play the position.

Murphy is inexperienced in varsity football.  He’s played and been coached QB his whole basically.  Not that I think Mike Roach can evaluate but he said he was quite advanced with his mechanics and throws when he went to see him out in 7 on 7.  Dude was consistently making NFL throws and putting the ball on the dot.  It’s why all of the evaluators have him in 5 star territory without much game film.

I thought I read here that Sarks system is very QB friendly in the sense that the QBs don’t have to think too much when making their progressions.  I trust Sark to coach this kid up.  Just need to get our O-line to be able to protect because Murphy’s feet look slow.

All of this. Raw is different from inexperienced. Murphy has been coached up since he was a young kid. He just needs live reps and hasn't been able to get them through no fault of his own. 

Now, he may very well suck when the lights come on but the stuff he's doing in his training (footwork, progressions, etc.) is not that of a guy who happens to be a raw athlete trying to figure out the qb position for the first time. 

Defining him as raw is lazy at best and perhaps even latently racist at worst. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 4

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

9.95 battle! IT is talking like he's already moved in here. 

I have no doubt that these players just feed these guys constant bullshit. What is hilarious is the amount of times people clown OB. Hamm needs to come to OB for the pure unadulterated comedy.

44 minutes ago, Fud said:

Some posters on LSU boards think Matthews is a likely spin down to linebacker prospect, similar to Christian Harris out of Louisiana, or similar to Overshown for us

He is big strong and fast. At 6'2" 205 - add 20lbs of muscle and he is a monster at lb. I am sure that isn't the pitch he wants to hear, though. As a two-way high school star, he probably listens to the "we'd love to get you some reps on offense too, 'cuz we see you as an athlete".

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have no doubt that these players just feed these guys constant bullshit. What is hilarious is the amount of times people clown OB. Hamm needs to come to OB for the pure unadulterated comedy.

Plus you'd have Ketch shoveling 4 racks of burnt ass ribs made by Chef Hamm into his face. 

• Haha 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting