Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

+ Campbell, Banks, D Harris, Anderson and we have the undisputed #1 recruiting class in America at 245 with 11 commits.

Now maybe all of those guys is a stretch, but where we are today, I don’t think any of them individually are unrealistic.

Edited to add: for comparison, last year we ended at 237 with 21 recruits. Username is checking out right now.

Edited by Enchubben
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, immamac said:

fixed on s103 - 86 does suck it has the lowest weight, I'd switch servers if I ever get 86 it's there for emergencies only, but it has to serve 1% of traffic to be in the rotation

So if you get that server you’ve been 86’d.  Can’t we just fire up server 86 for Tuesday’s?

8 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Somewhere Tom Herman is watching this and wondering why we don’t slam on the brakes, because believing in momentum and building a substantial lead on the competition can’t be a winning combination.

Bro Tom is drunk in a Mexican brothel right now. I picture him looking like

609B6CCA-2CE1-4ABB-AA03-BF91A6C44357.jpeg

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Between TMac and CJ Williams I hope we press TMac more.  I also like that he hasn't been forecasted for any school yet.  Seems wide open 

I for one, am used to cheering for an athlete that goes by the moniker 'TMac.' So I approve the above comment.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Eric Nahlin) Weekend thoughts: Pylon 7 on 7, Bryan Allen, DBU reboot

Spoiler

How you know the football is fun again: On Saturday, IT trekked to see Maalik Murphy’s passing session, the Piney Woods coaching clinic, as well as the Pylon 7 on 7 tournament in northeast Houston that included a regrettable stop at Jack in the Box.

Gerry was back at Pylon this morning, and probably JITB as well.

Plenty of top recruits were in action on Saturday and Sunday at C.E. King middle school. Here are a few notes on a few prospects of note.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (Oklahoma commit): He was the most impressive prospect I saw in a setting that is perfect for him. He’s excellent in the close quarters combat you tend to find on the shrunken field. His ability to elevate and attack the ball is special. He’s abrupt in everything he does. I think the comparison made to CeeDee Lamb is pretty apt. Lamb, like Hudson, is about as big of a guy you’ll ever find in a 6-foot-1, 180 pound frame. His hands, when he uses both, are incredible.

He plays both big and small and for someone able to make the circus catch look routine, he’s also a good athlete with the movement skills to become a devastating route runner. He’s a complete receiver and with it being en vogue to compare members of this class to the recent Alabama quartet, he’s the DeVonta Smith to me.

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall: He’s an incredibly easy mover for being 6-foot-3. The omni-directional basketball movement skills are evident and I think he sees the field like he sees the court. He would certainly be a college prospect if he was 6-foot so he’s not getting by on just size. Marshall is what people thought Dylan Wright was going to be. He’ll be an outside receiver but one that can make plays on all three levels and with a diversified route tree. He’s still raw but I wouldn’t call him a project. Maybe he’s Quentin Johnston in that regard.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain (Texas commit): More of the same from him in this setting. He could be a slot machine in college if that’s what he wanted to be. Versatility is the name of the game with Blue, and a big reason why they’d like to add a more traditional between the tackles type to complement him. That’s a good plan.

The degree of difficulty is greater than it appears as his vision was obstructed at the last second.

DB Julian Humphrey, Clear Lake: It’s official, I have him as a nickel/safety, rather than cornerback. It’s funny because he might end up at A&M in the coming weeks and the Ags have a recent tradition of taking questionable corners but promising defensive backs. He does have a good build (don’t think he’s 6-1, though) and makeup speed, but I was seeing that makeup speed all too often as he was beat off the line due to struggling to open his hips. With better QB play this issue would have been highlighted more. I think field safety is his best use.

CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial (Texas commit): Watching Humphrey and Guilbeau back-to-back presented a good juxtaposition. Guilbeau does shows more ability open his hips at the LOS and I think he has quicker feet. He’s more technically sound. Guilbeau doesn’t quite possess Humphrey’s speed, however. Guilbeau could eventually be the nickel in the class but anything is possible with him.

WR Noah Thomas, Clear Springs (A&M commit): I’m not as high on him as I was Caleb Chapman but there are some similarities. I was really high on Chapman, though, and had him right ahead of Brennan Eagles (Chapman will justify his IT ranking this year). Chapman separated better. Noah is a fluid mover and is absurdly long and lean. He’ll be a wiry 6-foot-5, 205 in time, but he’ll need to add a bit of speed. Fisher hasn’t highlighted his outside receivers much in College Station but Thomas is fluid enough to move inside. There’s a lot of growth potential ahead for Thomas and I think he’s a good take for the Ags.

We’ll have more from Pylon in the Scoop.

#####
One of the more surprising developments in the last couple of years was Bryan Allen committing to LSU out of nowhere. I talked to him not long before it happened and picked up a pretty pro-Texas vibe. I mentioned his sophomore tape reminded me some of Michael Huff and he stated his dad said that as well. I thought, “hmmm, he’s being compared to Michael Huff at home, this is probably going to end up well.”

I mean, come on.

Then a few days later he jumped in with LSU.

The divergent paths LSU and UT were on at the time he committed to LSU have swapped, at least from a perception standpoint. Like Caden Sterns, he’s where I thought he’d be all along, including after taking the same detour down those bumpy Louisiana roads.

If he’s reminding of Huff as a sophomore, you know he has jets and can play multiple roles. I’m not sure I’d make the same comparison now, but he’s undoubtedly versatile and has as much upside as his frame suggests.

When you see frame potential mentioned, this is it.

Hey, nice shirt!

When a head coach starts missing on kids who would normally pick that school, it’s the first sign of cracks in the foundation. It’s clear Texas is back in the good graces of the instate elites; that Texas is back to getting the benefit of the doubt and kids are looking for reasons to go there rather than to not.

For a state that produces DB’s like Texas does, that means we’re going to see yet another DBU reboot attempt.

#####

I don’t believe the DBU title rotates and is annually up for grabs, but some do. We call them Gators, Buckeyes, and Bayou Bengals.

It’s worth noting, even while DBU was down from its previous standard, the last decade was full of quality UT defensive backs in the NFL. Hi, Quandre!

The 2015 class should have put an end to any debate, and if it didn’t the historic 2018 class definitely should have. There’s plenty of context to each individual player and why we haven’t seen the level of play return to the glory years, but the number one culprit is lack of consistent quality development. That blame does not always reside on the coaching side of the equation, btw.

The players who sign to Texas in what will likely be a stellar 2022 defensive back class should have a longer runway of consistent quality development. If so, this DBU reboot should work because the raw materials are definitely going to be in place.

• Hook 'Em 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting