Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

(Mike Roach) Texas commit Maalik Murphy recaps Austin trip with Horns247

Spoiler

Maalik Murphy was able to see his future home this weekend.

The five-star quarterback from Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra made his way to Austin to work with his trainer and see Texas for himself and it didn't disappoint.  Murphy spoke with Horns247 while waiting at the airport to return to the west coast, and he was sad he had to leave.

"It was wonderful," he said. "It was so good. For the little bit that I could do, I really enjoyed it. For it being my first time in Austin, I could really feel the environment. I felt the love of the fans and everything and walk around the campus. I got to be on the field for a little bit. It was really a good experience for me and I can't wait to go back. I don't even want to leave right now. I'm bummed about that but I'll be back for sure."

Murphy was able to take in the city and the campus, but the friendly nature and genuine attitude of those he ran into made a huge impression.

"How nice people were," he said. "Where I come from, most people are nice, but not all of them. It seemed like everybody was super genuine. I went to the Co-Op to pick up some Longhorn stuff for my family and about eight people stopped me to take pictures or have a quick talk. Even the workers were super genuine and excited and knew who I was. It was kind of crazy me having my mask on and not wearing any Texas stuff, they still knew who I was. That's kind of crazy how much football stands out in the state of Texas. People really love it and take it seriously. They know their recruits and all that stuff. That was kind of crazy to me getting to be a part of it."

Murphy knew a few Texas players from their time out west, and he was able to meet up with a few to get a better idea about the Texas program.

"I was able to meet up with Bijan (Robinson) and Malcolm Epps," he said. "My boy Chris Adimora came out for a little bit also. I was able to talk to them the majority of the time while I was in Austin."

Murphy was able to see the stadium despite the construction going on.  Being able to envision his future was an exciting moment for him.

"It was good how it was," he said. "Even though they are working on it and it isn't done yet, I just let it all seep in and really be in the moment. It was crazy being in the stadium and walking in the end zone and standing on the fifty. Just looking in the crowd and picturing my future there was ridiculous and I loved it."

At 6-foot-5, 225 pounds, Murphy is ranked as the No. 4 pro-style quarterback in the country and No. 4 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, utfan87 said:

What does it say about how sark saw Carrington that he would go all out to keep Harris and not do the same for him? Maybe he did, but it wasn’t made public. 

It’s easier to teach a guy that knows football how to unleash his recruiting acumen than to teach a recruiter how to coach football

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

That’s tricky.  We have 2 studs committed but not signed that signed up for the Drayton experience.

I don’t think it will be this year or next year. But Harris wants an on field role I believe so him staying is likely predicated on that in the future.

7 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I don’t think it will be this year or next year. But Harris wants an on field role I believe so him staying is likely predicated on that in the future.

Agreed that is what Harris wants.  Agreed that is the most likely role for him. Managing the transition will be crucial.

8 hours ago, Enchubben said:

+ Campbell, Banks, D Harris, Anderson and we have the undisputed #1 recruiting class in America at 245 with 11 commits.

Now maybe all of those guys is a stretch, but where we are today, I don’t think any of them individually are unrealistic.

Edited to add: for comparison, last year we ended at 237 with 21 recruits. Username is checking out right now.

We want to land OLs and DLs that the SEC now believes they’re entitled to thanks to the fuckfaces in College Station opening that doorway? It’s gonna be a bumpy, expensive ride in the end. Banks, Neto and Dewberry aren’t safeties. Who knows when, where, or how those guys are going to go?

8 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Sark just followed

Maybe Texas goes after and lands this guy, but he’s got problems and they’re not the kind simply solved. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Not to brag, but I played a little DT way back in the day as a 230 lb double team collapsing fat kid, so I'm pretty much an expert on this stuff. The one thing I look for in DT highlight films is if they chase down a play away--it's something I rarely had the energy to do. This guy checks that box in a big way. Do want.

• Hook 'Em 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting