Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Can Omeire be that guy? He's not exactly a burner.

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, ball skills sure, but Omiere is nobody's deep threat. Some folks here thought he'd be a future TE. 

We've had a lot of guys who can get open deep, but it didn't matter because Ehlinger typically underthrew them all consistently. 

There is of course a baseline level of speed needed but elite speed is overrated in determining who your deep threats are. Ball skills (not just catching but tracking ability) are severely underrated when trying to forecast that type of prospect.

That's why Brennan Eagles was not a deep threat, because he lacked the skill to be one. Now don't get me wrong, it's probable that he would have refused to admit that and would have simply entered the portal if we tried to play him where he needed to be played as more of a possession receiver. He almost certainly would have refused to learn the finer points of that craft.

As an example (although he's also fast as hell), Kelvontay Dixon showed more deep threat ability on that underthrown wobbler long touchdown in the Alamo Bowl than Eagles did his entire career here. Dixon controlled his speed so that he would be accelerating to top speed as he caught that pass. As I said that night, Eagles would have simply run full speed until he realized it was underthrown, then he would have had to stop and turn around to catch it, and therefore would not have scored. Dixon recognized it instantly and created that touchdown.

None of this is to say Omeire is a deep threat, just that the conversation defaulting to well he's not a 4.4 or faster guy so he's not a deep threat is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There is of course a baseline level of speed needed but elite speed is overrated in determining who your deep threats are. Ball skills (not just catching but tracking ability) are severely underrated when trying to forecast that type of prospect.

That's why Brennan Eagles was not a deep threat, because he lacked the skill to be one. Now don't get me wrong, it's probable that he would have refused to admit that and would have simply entered the portal if we tried to play him where he needed to be played as more of a possession receiver. He almost certainly would have refused to learn the finer points of that craft.

As an example (although he's also fast as hell), Kelvontay Dixon showed more deep threat ability on that underthrown wobbler long touchdown in the Alamo Bowl than Eagles did his entire career here. Dixon controlled his speed so that he would be accelerating to top speed as he caught that pass. As I said that night, Eagles would have simply run full speed until he realized it was underthrown, then he would have had to stop and turn around to catch it, and therefore would not have scored. Dixon recognized it instantly and created that touchdown.

None of this is to say Omeire is a deep threat, just that the conversation defaulting to well he's not a 4.4 or faster guy so he's not a deep threat is wrong.

Hey, thanks for this completely extraneous and unnecessary breakdown that doesn't contradict anything said previously about being a deep threat! Even if one is going to entertain the merits discussing speed not being a prerequisite in regards to being considered a deep threat, I think we can all agree that Malcolm Epps and Refrigerator Perry do not qualify as deep threats, for fairly obvious reasons. 

Omiere isn't a deep threat. Although in researching this post I learned that him and Omiere had almost the same 40 times. So there's that. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:
  Hide contents

This past weekend, I saw Junior in practice and spoke with him. He’s probably somewhere close to his listed 6’1.5 238 lbs. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’ grown to 6’2 since those measurements. He has that old school inside linebacker size. And, he hits hard.

***In terms of his recruitment, he said he’s going to be dropping a top five this month. If I had to guess, I believe it will be Oregon, USC, Texas, Notre Dame and Stanford.

***At one time, Junior was a USC commit, but I sense they really dropped the ball on his recruitment. Sounds like Orlando and company basically stopped communicating with him and his family and then when he decommitted, they’ve been working to rebuild the relationship.

***Academics and football are both going to be big. He tells me his mother likes Stanford but I’m not sure the football aspect his big enough for his liking.

***I think he really likes Notre Dame and Texas. If visits open up, those will be two definite visits.

***Junior said that Sark offered him but coach PK and coach Choate have been recruiting him. He also said that both Maalik Murphy and Texas linebacker commit, Trevell Johnson are recruiting him.

***I get the sense that all Junior really needs is some visits in order to make a decision.

***Should the NCAA open things up in late May, I believe Junior will schedule summer visits and make a decision shortly thereafter. And again, I think Texas will be one of the first visits he sets up.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Arizona State instead of USC, but otherwise TFB was right on the money.

Wait so was there anything about Ernest Cooper? Not gonna lie, I forgot it was Ernest IV and had mixed the two up since other people mentioned his name

Seems like the ND guys feel pretty good about Junior, 6 conf CB from Noy and some other ND insider, but also the boards pretty much have him penciled into their class. Although, they also mentioned that he has some mobility concerns but I don't know if that's real or just a hedge.

Edited by JackBurton

Just now, JackBurton said:

Seems like the ND guys feel pretty good about Junior, 6 conf CB from Noy and some other ND insider, but also the boards pretty much have him penciled into their class. Although they also mentioned that he has some mobility concerns but idk what that's about.

He's talked about as a bigger, slower LB. But hopefully more mobile than our last highly ranked slow linebacker (hi Ayodele)

31 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That’s a pretty extreme exaggeration in regards to the pass to Dixon who barely had to break stride to catch the pass and didn’t have to go through the defensive player to do so either and then you are assigning blame to Eagles for not learning to adjust correctly to balls thrown 5 yards short to him on deep passes when he has his defender beat by 3 yards. Also balls being thrown short or behind him wasn’t an issue exclusive to Eagles. it plagued our entire WR core but yeah I’m sure Eagles was the reason we didn’t have an legitimate deep threat.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JackBurton said:

Anyone got the TFB articles on Tuihalamaka and Ernest Cooper

Spoiler

Last week during my trip to Arlington, I was able to catch up with 4-star Martin defensive end Ernest ‘RJ’ Cooper to see where things currently stood in his recruitment.

Right now, there is a lot of buzz around Stanford in this recruitment, though I wouldn’t necessarily say things are completely locked in for Cooper to head west at the end of the cycle. At least, not if Texas DL coach Bo Davis has anything to say about it.

“I’ve definitely been talking to him a lot,” Cooper said of Davis. “I really need to get in contact with him more and maybe get a virtual visit set up. And I really need to get back up to the campus to be honest with you.”

Cooper is a brilliant kid. In my conversations with Javien Toviano and Trevell Johnson, they were quick to point out he was one of the smarter kids on the team, if not the top dog in that regard. Cooper told me he hopes to study biology and with aspirations of becoming a doctor after his football playing days are over.

The inspiration behind that stems from the Covid-19 pandemic, where Cooper said he hopes to one day make a big difference in the world if something like this were to happen again. So it goes without saying that education is at the very top of his priorities list.

“I definitely need the best of both worlds,” said Cooper in reference to football and academics.”(Education) is top priority. I’d say that’s probably the first thing I look at when I see your school. If you don’t have a really good biology program, or somewhere where I can elevate my academics as well as my football skills, that’s a check off the list for me.”

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has not been as active in this recruitment as it appears in some of the other cases in the 2022 class. Cooper told me he had not been in contact with him as of late, but expressed an understanding that Sark is probably still getting situated with the staff, program and moving to Austin.

But that does not mean Texas is not in this recruitment. The interest is certainly there.

“When I think of Texas, I think of a historic – always winning, prestigious school, with nothing but the best football players ever.”

Cooper listed Stanford, Notre Dame and Oregon as a few other schools that have really been after him. USC has started to kick the tires and if they were to formally offer, I believe he would take a good look into what the Trojans would have to offer.

On a positive note, I mentioned Arlington Martin has been very pro-Texas recently and that’s certainly helping in regards to Cooper.

“It is 24-7, they are always in my ear,” Cooper said about teammates Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson recruiting him to Texas. “I love to hear them motivate me and try to get me to convince me. That’s definitely a pulling factor. It’s hilarious.”

I expect visits to be a big factor in this recruitment. With that said, I am not anticipating a decision to come anytime soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Teuhema brothers were Texas commits at one time, right?

Yes. If you care about historical accuracy, stop here.

I believe Maea was the more desired recruit and LSU offered Seone a scholarship akin to a ROTC grant (with assumed $$$ on the side). Maea then punched a window or door or something or the other over a girl and Seone made his way to the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What do y'all think the chances are of USC imploding? They have a lot of guys we would want this year.

Clay Helton is the luckiest motherfucker on planet earth. Their 5-1 season included 2 wins against the shitty Arizonas by a combined 5 points, and another close one against UCLA. Now they've recruited well two classes running, still have Harrell and Slovis, and no real conference juggernauts to deal with. I don't think the chance of implosion is very good, but I bet he skates on mediocrity for another year. Especially with Meyer in the NFL. Give me....8 wins. Enough to close another decent class and for Helton to keep his job. Again. 

1 minute ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I believe Maea was the more desired recruit and LSU offered Seone a scholarship akin to a ROTC grant (with assumed $$$ on the side). Maea then punched a window or door or something or the other over a girl and Seone made his way to the NFL.

Pretty sure the deal was they offered an ROTC sholarship to the son of someone influential in their recruitment if memory serves. I don't think it was directly to either of the Teuhema brothers.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Clay Helton is the luckiest motherfucker on planet earth. Their 5-1 season included 2 wins against the shitty Arizonas by a combined 5 points, and another close one against UCLA. Now they've recruited well two classes running, still have Harrell and Slovis, and no real conference juggernauts to deal with. I don't think the chance of implosion is very good, but I bet he skates on mediocrity for another year. Especially with Meyer in the NFL. Give me....8 wins. Enough to close another decent class and for Helton to keep his job. Again. 

Do not underestimate the severity of the inevitable Todd Orlan_o second-year defensive collapse.

Edited by irishtexan

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Sione didn't make it to the NFL beyond practice squads. In fact he was working for a moving company (in Houston I believe) before he jumped at a chance in the XFL.

Funny how I still remember an interview he did and he cited 'Coach Giles' (totally mispronounced Giles's name) as one of the reasons he committed to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So close...

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Arizona State instead of USC, but otherwise TFB was right on the money.

ASU making that list over USC is hilarious, but super explainable. Antonio Pierce vs Todd Orlando is about as big of a recruiting mismatch there is. 

USC fans better start getting used to this.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sione didn't make it to the NFL beyond practice squads. In fact he was working for a moving company (in Houston I believe) before he jumped at a chance in the XFL.

Funny how I still remember an interview he did and he cited 'Coach Giles' (totally mispronounced Giles's name) as one of the reasons he committed to Texas. 

I warned you my research was paltry at best.

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

***At one time, Junior was a USC commit, but I sense they really dropped the ball on his recruitment. Sounds like Orlando and company basically stopped communicating with him and his family and then when he decommitted, they’ve been working to rebuild the relationship.

tenor.gif 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

That’s a pretty extreme exaggeration in regards to the pass to Dixon who barely had to break stride to catch the pass and didn’t have to go through the defensive player to do so either and then you are assigning blame to Eagles for not learning to adjust correctly to balls thrown 5 yards short to him on deep passes when he has his defender beat by 3 yards. Also balls being thrown short or behind him wasn’t an issue exclusive to Eagles. it plagued our entire WR core but yeah I’m sure Eagles was the reason we didn’t have an legitimate deep threat.

No, you don't know what you're watching. We went through this that night. That ball was underthrown by at least 4 yards and you must think Kelvontay Dixon has really short legs if you think he has a 1 yard stride. He broke stride and slowed down significantly on that play but most people didn't notice because he did it very early in the ball's flight in order to accelerate through the ball, which is the entire point. Bad deep receivers don't slow down until the end and it's obvious.

Try not to be so wrong when you call someone else out. And also don't make middle school mistakes like typing core instead of corps.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Okcool said:
  Hide contents

Last week during my trip to Arlington, I was able to catch up with 4-star Martin defensive end Ernest ‘RJ’ Cooper to see where things currently stood in his recruitment.

Right now, there is a lot of buzz around Stanford in this recruitment, though I wouldn’t necessarily say things are completely locked in for Cooper to head west at the end of the cycle. At least, not if Texas DL coach Bo Davis has anything to say about it.

“I’ve definitely been talking to him a lot,” Cooper said of Davis. “I really need to get in contact with him more and maybe get a virtual visit set up. And I really need to get back up to the campus to be honest with you.”

Cooper is a brilliant kid. In my conversations with Javien Toviano and Trevell Johnson, they were quick to point out he was one of the smarter kids on the team, if not the top dog in that regard. Cooper told me he hopes to study biology and with aspirations of becoming a doctor after his football playing days are over.

The inspiration behind that stems from the Covid-19 pandemic, where Cooper said he hopes to one day make a big difference in the world if something like this were to happen again. So it goes without saying that education is at the very top of his priorities list.

“I definitely need the best of both worlds,” said Cooper in reference to football and academics.”(Education) is top priority. I’d say that’s probably the first thing I look at when I see your school. If you don’t have a really good biology program, or somewhere where I can elevate my academics as well as my football skills, that’s a check off the list for me.”

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian has not been as active in this recruitment as it appears in some of the other cases in the 2022 class. Cooper told me he had not been in contact with him as of late, but expressed an understanding that Sark is probably still getting situated with the staff, program and moving to Austin.

But that does not mean Texas is not in this recruitment. The interest is certainly there.

“When I think of Texas, I think of a historic – always winning, prestigious school, with nothing but the best football players ever.”

Cooper listed Stanford, Notre Dame and Oregon as a few other schools that have really been after him. USC has started to kick the tires and if they were to formally offer, I believe he would take a good look into what the Trojans would have to offer.

On a positive note, I mentioned Arlington Martin has been very pro-Texas recently and that’s certainly helping in regards to Cooper.

“It is 24-7, they are always in my ear,” Cooper said about teammates Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson recruiting him to Texas. “I love to hear them motivate me and try to get me to convince me. That’s definitely a pulling factor. It’s hilarious.”

I expect visits to be a big factor in this recruitment. With that said, I am not anticipating a decision to come anytime soon.

Can vouch for UT’s bio program. Had kids crying during our O-chem 2 final. When applying to grad school the counselor at my new school said my 3.4 at UT was like a 3.8 from other Texas schools.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Can vouch for UT’s bio program. Had kids crying during our O-chem 2 final. When applying to grad school the counselor at my new school said my 3.4 at UT was like a 3.8 from other Texas schools.

uh, ochem has nothing to do with the bio program, buddy. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

Well I for one, am glad that Caden is leaving. He's also in for a rude awakening with NFL ownership and management. The more he keeps commenting on social media, the more he's sinking his future chances. 

One of those guys who always has a burr in his saddle.

That said, he's perfectly within his rights to comment on what he experienced, but you're right that NFL owners/GMs aren't exactly the most receptive group to this kind of thing.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, texifornia said:

One of those guys who always has a burr in his saddle.

That said, he's perfectly within his rights to comment on what he experienced, but you're right that NFL owners/GMs aren't exactly the most receptive group to this kind of thing.

It's definitely his right. This is America after all. But actions have consequences.

He joined a program with certain requirements. He chose to stick around and not abide by said requirements with no concrete evidence for his argument for not being in compliance. 

I hope he gets better ppl in his corner ASAP because the trendy thing to do isn't always the best option. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting