Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I really have no idea what this D-line class is going to look like. Ross at DT, sure, and then what?

At DT - Orange maybe? Swanson bulks up and plays DT instead of EDGE? We shoot the moon and get Bear, Lucas, or the Alabama guy? That seems unlikely, but maybe Lucas is more open than we think. I don't know what the situation is with guys like Kaleb Artis or Gracial. 

At DE, theoretically Swanson is listed at SDE. Wesolak is likely to go Clemson or ND it seems, Brown is looking at OU, and I'm not betting on pulling Abor. Finkley doesn't even make the radar, nor does Halton it seems. Ideally Cooper comes through but even then we've got what, 3 of the 6 D-line guys we want? 

So Ross, Swanson, Cooper and then we find 3 more guys in Bo Davis's twitter follows. Anyone have a better prognosis here?

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

You know what's a fun conversation, relevant to the topic at hand, and definitely good for Texas if anyone feels like screenshotting it?

Shitting all over Caden Sterns! Especially when you compare him unfavorably to a white player in the process!

Statistically speaking Gideon is honorary. 

I think the following is only category that Sterns > Gideon in

Quitting on Team:
Sterns 1

Gideon 0

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, texifornia said:

He's the guy on the current roster (outside of Juwan) that gets the most "well if he posts something I don't agree with on Twitter he can GTFO" flak across the Texas boards, including this one.

But then he plays and everyone is like okay nvm. IMO the way Overshown has handled all this vs Sterns is night and day difference. 

Juwan is just a dumbass, plain and simple. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Super K on Harold Perkins

Spoiler

This morning, I spoke with the coach of 2022 5-star linebacker, Harold Perkins.

I went to see Harold last month when some of the rumors started to go around about him possibly committing to Texas A&M. That was not the case.

In fact, I got the sense Harold was still very open. At the time he had just begun to hear from coach Banks and company. As you can imagine, that communication has grown a lot in the past month.

I’m told he’s still set on waiting till the summer to even consider a commitment. Big thing for Harold is he wants to meet coaches in person. He wants to look them in the eye.

• Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Overshown has haters? 

Whatever you are doing in your Texas fandom to have missed on this is aspirational and I'm jealous. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The Texas class has seven four-star commits currently, and arguably leads for several others including Devon Campbell, Bryce Anderson, Kelvin Banks and Jamarion Miller. Texas is now trending favorably for Jacoby Mathews

I hate getting my hopes up for elite players from the Boot so screw Gerry for teasing that we may be leading here. This would be a monster pickup. 

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

I went to see Harold last month when some of the rumors started to go around about him possibly committing to Texas A&M. That was not the case.

In fact, I got the sense Harold was still very open. At the time he had just begun to hear from coach Banks and company. As you can imagine, that communication has grown a lot in the past month.

I’m told he’s still set on waiting till the summer to even consider a commitment. Big thing for Harold is he wants to meet coaches in person. He wants to look them in the eye.

We got this.

image.jpeg.60066e241d4c4090f118affd57842ec8.jpeg

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I think I've heard it referred to as "not clicking on the thread."  It is apparently very effective.

You mean like reading the recruiting thread instead of the Caden Sterns thread? It’s not effective at all.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, TriStone said:

I think I've heard it referred to as "not clicking on the thread."  It is apparently very effective.

Oh is it effective? Which thread are we talking exactly? Certainly not this one. Someone posted he got into a car accident on the "offseason thread" and the first couple responses were how much of a pain in the ass the guy is so not that one either. 

Edited by UncleSonny
IDIOTsavant beat me to it

1 minute ago, Burntcowboy said:

With the mask mandate being lifted all business being open 100% do you think the ncaa will open up official visits soon

No, because that would only benefit schools in Texas, and everyone else would throw a shit fit. “Who cares if it’s good for the kids!”

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Bryce Anderson discusses Texas, other contenders after dropping top five

Spoiler

Bryce Anderson discusses Texas, other contenders after dropping top five

NickHarris

HOUSTON — This past weekend, Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson made his first appearance since dropping a top five of Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, USC and Michigan at Pylon 7v7's Houston tournament at C.E. King.

Anderson was in action for the Houston-based Texas Stars Elite as they made a deep run into the tournament semi-finals behind elite defensive play. Anderson was one of the stars of the weekend as he shut down his assignments and covered a ton of ground from the safety position. Amongst it all, he was able to catch up with Horns247 to discuss each school in his top five:

Texas: "Texas was always in my top five. Coach Joseph and Coach Gideon have been on me hard. They've been recruiting me hard and recruiting my family hard. They're actually recruiting me as a nickel and a corner."

LSU: "They've been recruiting me for a long time and Coach Raymond is my guy. I'm ready to see what the new coaching staff can do."

Texas A&M: "Coach (Tommie Robinson) is over there now and Coach Rushing has been recruiting me hard too."

USC: "Cali is Cali. Looking forward to taking an official out there."

Michigan: "Coach (Maurice Linguist), he offered me back when he was at A&M and he's been recruiting me hard since then."

The thing that sticks out the most is Anderson being recruited by Texas as a player that can play along the entire secondary, not just at safety. He has proven to be super versatile at the high school level and safeties coach Blake Gideon along with cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph will certainly look to play around with that versatility if Anderson does end up choosing the Longhorns.

A decision is expected in the next month, but don't be surprised if Anderson decides to hold off on committing before taking some visits to each of his top five options. With Texas being the figurative leader at the moment, each of his other top five options will try to get him to hold off until after he takes those visits.

At 6-foot-0, 190 pounds, Anderson is the No. 61 recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 4 safety in the country and the No. 11 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Nick Harris / Bryce Anderson discusses Texas, other contenders after dropping top five

Hide contents

Bryce Anderson discusses Texas, other contenders after dropping top five

NickHarris

HOUSTON — This past weekend, Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson made his first appearance since dropping a top five of Texas, Texas A&M, LSU, USC and Michigan at Pylon 7v7's Houston tournament at C.E. King.

Anderson was in action for the Houston-based Texas Stars Elite as they made a deep run into the tournament semi-finals behind elite defensive play. Anderson was one of the stars of the weekend as he shut down his assignments and covered a ton of ground from the safety position. Amongst it all, he was able to catch up with Horns247 to discuss each school in his top five:

Texas: "Texas was always in my top five. Coach Joseph and Coach Gideon have been on me hard. They've been recruiting me hard and recruiting my family hard. They're actually recruiting me as a nickel and a corner."

LSU: "They've been recruiting me for a long time and Coach Raymond is my guy. I'm ready to see what the new coaching staff can do."

Texas A&M: "Coach (Tommie Robinson) is over there now and Coach Rushing has been recruiting me hard too."

Michigan: "Coach (Maurice Linguist), he offered me back when he was at A&M and he's been recruiting me hard since then."

The thing that sticks out the most is Anderson being recruited by Texas as a player that can play along the entire secondary, not just at safety. He has proven to be super versatile at the high school level and safeties coach Blake Gideon along with cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph will certainly look to play around with that versatility if Anderson does end up choosing the Longhorns.

A decision is expected in the next month, but don't be surprised if Anderson decides to hold off on committing before taking some visits to each of his top five options. With Texas being the figurative leader at the moment, each of his other top five options will try to get him to hold off until after he takes those visits.

At 6-foot-0, 190 pounds, Anderson is the No. 61 recruit in the country, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 4 safety in the country and the No. 11 recruit in the state of Texas.

From date set, and crystal balls dropping to don’t be surprised if he holds off until visits recommence? That negative recruiting coming hard from aggy it seems?

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

From date set, and crystal balls dropping to don’t be surprised if he holds off until visits recommence? That negative recruiting coming hard from aggy it seems?

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hopefully he's just looking for a free trip to California.

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

Copied from the bot: The Texas class has seven four-star commits currently, and arguably leads for several others including Devon Campbell, Bryce Anderson, Kelvin Banks and Jamarion Miller.

Jamarion Miller's tape looks good. I think he could play the slot as well as RB. He would be a decent sub for Coleman if he can catch.

• Hook 'Em 2

IT

Spoiler

By: @Justin Wells and @Gerry Hamilton

ATH Ish Harris, Pilot Point (2022):

The 6-foot-4, 190-pound four-star athlete dropped his top six schools today - Texas, OU, Baylor, Utah, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State made the cut.

He’s hearing from the UT staff often and is eager to get to Austin, when the NCAA allows visits.

“Build my brand and be a part of an elite program,” said Harris, about the Horns message. “They like me at OLB mostly.”

The District 4-3A-1 Offensive MVP has tallied 2,160 yards on the ground with 20 touchdowns in two years, while accumulating 64 tackles, five interceptions, and one forced fumble since 2019.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (2022):

Checking in with one of the state’s top offensive linemen, Umeozulu is narrowing his list soon. For now, Alabama, OU, Texas A&M, and Texas remain on his mind.

“Bama, UT, Baylor, A&M, and OU recruit me the hardest,” Umeozulu said. “(Texas) is putting together something special in the 2022 class. It’s hard to ignore.”

The 6-foot-5, 300-pound tackle wants to be a better leader and get better at finishing blocks his senior year.

If/when visits are a thing again, Austin is getting a visitor. For now, he’ll just continue to build with coach Flood and staff.

K Blake Ford, Arlington Lamar (2022):

He never imagined he’d play college football. He always dreamed about it, but until a few months ago, getting an athletic scholarship for kicking didn’t seem likely.

“I never thought this was possible,” Ford, said about the opportunity to play football in college. “A lot of hard work and sacrifices. And I’m still getting better.”

“Bigfoot,” at 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, brings the boot when he kicks. He went 8-for-8, with a long of 48 yards last season. This year, he’s working on his focus.

“I’m talking to Texas, Alabama, and a handful of other top schools,” Ford said.

Coach Jeff Banks stays in touch with Ford, who is ranked No. 1 in the Chris Sailer kicking rankings.

“Coach Banks is great,” Ford said. “I always enjoy our conversations.”

Texas has a spot penciled in for a kicker in the 2022 class.

Defensive line recruiting nuggets:

In speaking with a source close to Jaray Bledsoe, the Longhorns are in a top 5 that currently consists of Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Baylor. Bo Davis’ recruiting pitch has been very well received by Bledsoe and his mother, per the source. The source relayed that Bledoe’s mom prefers he stay in state, which would set up a Texas vs. Texas A&M head-to-head battle. Should Bledoe convince his family that he wanted to go out of state, that would most likely be to Alabama over Oklahoma as of today.

Things remain positive for Texas with regard to defensive tackle Kristopher Ross. The athletic North Shore DT has remained a lean to Texas leading up to his March 23rd announcement date despite the efforts of USC, who is selling a family connection in the Los Angeles area in the music world.

• Hook 'Em 4

38 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Jamarion Miller's tape looks good. I think he could play the slot as well as RB. He would be a decent sub for Coleman if he can catch.

You may be right about Miller's skill set but I love him as a 2nd rb take. If this class is as deep at WR as 9.95ers are saying I'd rather him in a 2-back class and get our 4th or 5th WR elsewhere. 

I guess the problem with that is there was talk that the staff is looking for a power back for the second guy but personally I think the big back thing is a little overrated. 

Edited by UncleSonny

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

You may be right about Miller's skill set but I love him as a 2nd rb take. If this class is a deep at WR at 9.95ers are saying I'd rather him in a 2-back class and get our 4th or 5th WR elsewhere. 

I guess the problem with that is there was talk that the staff is looking for a power back for the second guy but personally I think the big back thing is a little overrated. 

He is very fast, has great lateral quickness and vision, and is hard to tackle. Although, I didn't see it on his HUDL, I would assume that he would be great on punt returns and kickoffs. He makes quick cuts and gets up to speed quickly so really he could play rb or slot. I think he is a little small to be an every down back, though and if he bulks up he may lose what makes him special.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

That was quick enough to make me think he would've gone there even if we didn't have Maalik. There was always buzz about Clemson for him. Makes it even bigger that we got MM on board.

Watch for Brenen Thompson to make a move there next. 

• Rage+1 3

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

But does he smile with his eyes?

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting