Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

41 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I didn't say I couldn't identify ANY of them. After a second watch, saying I didn't recognize "most" was an exaggeration. I'll rephrase that there were several that didn't look familiar at all. Could have more to do with head/facial hair changes than my lack of familiarity though. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. If nothing else, I'm definitely not a katfid. So I got that going for me, which is nice

1*We3cuit-POpN4Sa-GU-9lw.jpeg

Gotl.gif

• Haha 2

Who do y'all think is the "must have" prospect of this class? Id say the easy one is Campbell but outside of OL you have to get guys like Denver Harris. As Texas, you cannot continue to afford to lose blue chippers who grew up rooting for your school. We have got to start making these recruitments quick and easy. I want Ohio State and the SEC thinking that its useless to try to get the best from Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

every possible big name offensive lineman is must get.

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Who do y'all think is the "must have" prospect of this class? Id say the easy one is Campbell but outside of OL you have to get guys like Denver Harris. As Texas, you cannot continue to afford to lose blue chippers who grew up rooting for your school. We have got to start making these recruitments quick and easy. I want Ohio State and the SEC thinking that its useless to try to get the best from Texas.

I mean, the answer is definitely OL. For that reason, since we seem to be in  good shape with Campbell, I'd say Banks. 2 five star OL at a desperate, shittastic position room for us is easily the correct answer. After that, I'd suggest that it's simply getting 4-5 of those 5 stars total to join the class. 

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

It's a reductive way to phrase it, but Campbell is the answer. If we don't get him, that means a cascade of things have fucked up. And we really need OL.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, the answer is definitely OL. For that reason, since we seem to be in  good shape with Campbell, I'd say Banks. 2 five star OL at a desperate, shittastic position room for us is easily the correct answer. After that, I'd suggest that it's simply getting 4-5 of those 5 stars total to join the class. 

How insane would it be to land Campbell, Banks, and Dewberry?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Im a big fan of Earnest Greene too thats a SEC type of linemen id be over the moon for him

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Thats easy to say but its not true, all of them aren't must gets 

Brother, 

I don't know if you saw or not but that 2021 offensive line class has set us back a few years so it's true. Just about every big name we're after on the OL in 2022 is a must get IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

How insane would it be to land Campbell, Banks, and Dewberry?

I mean..it would be awesome.  I won't say insane because even if you cut the IT confidence in Banks by half, it still makes getting the trio do-able. Likely no? But punchers chance, it seems like it...

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

It's a reductive way to phrase it, but Campbell is the answer. If we don't get him, that means a cascade of things have fucked up. And we really need OL.

As of today you think Texas has a shot of getting 3 out of Rice,Greene, Banks, Dewberry, Campbell,Hutson, Agbo, Nefo? Three out of this group and a couple of developmental guys is about a s good as we've had in quite some time

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Thats easy to say but its not true, all of them aren't must gets 

"must get" is one of those phrases that has to be strictly defined to get a meaningful answer. Like, we could miss our whole current recruiting board, sign some scrubs, and still field a football team. It just wouldn't be very good.

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

As of today you think Texas has a shot of getting 3 out of Rice,Greene, Banks, Dewberry, Campbell,Hutson, Agbo, Nefo? Three out of this group and a couple of developmental guys is about a s good as we've had in quite some time

Oh yeah. Campbell, Banks, and one of Dewberry/Neto/Agbo/Hutson seems more than reasonable. With Robertson at center.

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Brother, 

I don't know if you saw or not but that 2021 offensive line class has set us back a few years so it's true. Just about every big name we're after on the OL in 2022 is a must get IMO.

I know It might be unpopular but our OL situation isn't as abysmal as it seems. We have a lot of young guys with a chance to be good. We are lightyears better than what we were in 2017. But I certainly get where you are coming from, we are not close to being championship caliber there.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I know It might be unpopular but our OL situation isn't as abysmal as it seems. We have a lot of young guys with a chance to be good. We are lightyears better than what we were in 2017. But I certainly get where you are coming from.

This is true, though the gulf between "key contributors Camhron Hughes and Sedrick Flowers" to "an actually good P5 OL" is vaaaast.

Just now, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I know It might be unpopular but our OL situation isn't as abysmal as it seems. We have a lot of young guys with a chance to be good. We are lightyears better than what we were in 2017. But I certainly get where you are coming from.

Disagree. We have a lot of young guys. We don’t have a ton of elite ranked guys at the position. That alone means even if some hit several won’t. On top of that, only taking 2 last cycle alone immediately makes this grouping a matter of serious urgency, and that’s even if those 2 were studs. They weren’t. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Disagree. We have a lot of young guys. We don’t have a ton of elite ranked guys at the position. That alone means even if some hit several won’t. On top of that, only taking 2 last cycle alone immediately makes this grouping a matter of serious urgency, and that’s even if those 2 were studs. They weren’t. 

That one has good taste in BBQ though at least.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Denver Harris for me. An island corner would be huge and he sounds like the best out there by far.

OL may be the biggest must-have position group, just not sure there's a single prospect that is an absolute must. Need 3-4 of the big names we're chasing. Campbell is obviously an important one though so fair choice.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tyler Johnson 

24 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Denver Harris for me. An island corner would be huge and he sounds like the best out there by far.

OL may be the biggest must-have position group, just not sure there's a single prospect that is an absolute must. Need 3-4 of the big names we're chasing. Campbell is obviously an important one though so fair choice.

Agreed. Denver Harris is the biggest need player because of sheer value over replacement player. OL is the biggest need group by far though. We need 5-6 guys there of which 3-4 need to be those big name guys we're chasing. Agreed that Campbell is the one closest to being without comparable replacement of al the OL targets in this class.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I know It might be unpopular but our OL situation isn't as abysmal as it seems. We have a lot of young guys with a chance to be good. We are lightyears better than what we were in 2017. But I certainly get where you are coming from, we are not close to being championship caliber there.

I am as pollyanna as this board gets, but our OL situation is abysmal right now. 14 scholarship OL.

We think we are ok with Karic, Angilau, and Majors.

We are hoping for the light to come on for Jones and Johnson.

We pray that Kerstetter's leg doesn't fall off.

We have 4-5 live snaps of Hookfin dominating UTEP.

We know Okafor and Imade really had nothing better to do so they are getting a free 6th year.

We realize Ghirmai still can't snap the ball.

We know absolutely nothing about Garth(post injury), Parr, Conner, and Merrill.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Tyler Johnson 

Others have touched on your post already, but lets be specific:

Are you under the impression that exactly 1 is "a ton" in terms of quantifying Many versus Few? Or are you just saying Tyler Johnson is fat as fuck and weighs a fucking literal ton? Either way, your post seems questionable. Like eating a jar of mayonnaise that's been left out in the August sun for 6-8 hours "questionable." 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I am as pollyanna as this board gets, but our OL situation is abysmal right now. 14 scholarship OL.

We know Okafor and Imade really had nothing better to do so they are getting a free 6th year.

Yep, our o-line situation is depressing, as it has been for 13 fucking years.  JFC what a clusterfuck. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

It's not good but in the last decade we've actually had a lot worse. With some luck and good coaching it could be somewhere between "workable" and "above average" in the Big12. 

I'll assume Parr, Ghirmani, Garth, Merrill, Tope and Conner are either not ready to contribute or won't ever be.

Agreed that we are ok on Karic, Angilau and Majors. If we are starting off "ok" at 3/5 spots that's more than you could say for 2017 or certainly 2014. There is nothing about Kerstetter's injury that makes him a write-off and if he's playing he provides solid snaps either as depth or starting at RG or RT.

Hookfin and Christian Jones have both looked ok in the little playing time we've seen. We'll see how they develop under Flood but both have upside. Tyler Johnson really hasn't looked good but also has upside and may benefit from new coaching. Okafor has had the better part of a decade to show us something and hasn't but if he's our 8th best lineman that's not too bad from a depth standpoint.

So that's 8 legit guys to work with. That's really not terrible. It's a legit concern that non of the guys listed are a slam dunk AA (or even all-big12) talent but there is a good chance we'll be able to get through this season without having to put a complete turnstile like Nickelson at any one spot. If we could add a solid swing tackle grad transfer I'd feel pretty good about the OL for this season at least.

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean our OL is not good but hopefully our offense takes some pressure off of them. We've had a decade of subpar OL combined with absolutely stupid offensive design (or stubborn to the point of stupidity playcalling) that has never helped them. Sure it's offseason optimism but maybe correct utilization of RBs in the passing game, quick hitting passes, and an actual running game can help the OL on play action, etc.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, HenryJames said:

Or maybe teaching them how to pick up a fucking twist.

That's crazy talk.  Why would we do that?

SIAP, and yes i tuned out for much of the year to improve my mental health, but WTF happened to Hookfin?  Did he get hurt?  Looked fine in game 1 and never saw him again.  

1 minute ago, AugieBall said:

SIAP, and yes i tuned out for much of the year to improve my mental health, but WTF happened to Hookfin?  Did he get hurt?  Looked fine in game 1 and never saw him again.  

Maybe he pissed slightly yellow.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AugieBall said:

Season-ending surgery

Anybody have a good read on how we are doing in OL recruiting? Supposedly, we hired one of the best OL coaches in the country. CTJ made some promising comments about some recruits a few weeks back. But, when you read the updates that you guys post, I don't get the warm fuzzies.

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting