Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Anybody have a good read on how we are doing in OL recruiting? Supposedly, we hired one of the best OL coaches in the country. CTJ made some promising comments about some recruits a few weeks back. But, when you read the updates that you guys post, I don't get the warm fuzzies.

We lead for Campbell, Banks, and Robertson, or so we're told.

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Anybody have a good read on how we are doing in OL recruiting? Supposedly, we hired one of the best OL coaches in the country. CTJ made some promising comments about some recruits a few weeks back. But, when you read the updates that you guys post, I don't get the warm fuzzies.

Well Banks and Dewberry where not a if but a when to aggy, and he got both of them to back off. He also went on a binge offering every high 4 and 5 star OL in the country. It appears to have worked out west with Greene and Agbo returning the interest so far. Flood has also already started sending out the secondary line of offers to the likes of Neto, Hutson, and Robertson.

So it is a complete 180 from the previous years, where Hand would offer a couple of guys at a time and wouldn't prioritize anyone but those few guys. Then when they went elsewhere he would offer the next line of guys only to see those guys a week away from making their decisions.

• Hook 'Em 4

57 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

A 6'2 280lb DT that chases down anything and everything on defense, blocks like a runaway cement truck headed downhill, then stretches out for a pass as a slot WR? Where the hell has this kid been hiding and how in the f%*& is he not ranked?  

• Hook 'Em 5

IT had a recruiting chat today. Transcript below. (EN = Eric Nahlin, GH = Gerry Hamilton, JW = Justin Wells, JC = Joe Cook)
Spoiler

Q: Status quo with Kelvin Banks? Any idea on a timeline?
GH: Nothing new on Banks. Probably going to swing by Summer Creek late this week. Texas, Texas A&M, LSU
EN: Still thinking spring for him, maybe early summer.
Texas is in the best position.
It could be great if they could speed him up but you can’t push too hard.
Q: Does Maalik have more pull with top recruits than Ewers?
EN: If Quinn was committed to Texas it would naturally have more pull with Texas kids.
This is all mainly attributable to Sarkisian, though. It’s a lot easier to get kids excited with him as the HC than Herman.
Q: What feedback are you getting from recruits on Flood's job building relationships/maintaining contact/putting forth a cohesive sales-pitch/etc?
GH: Nothing negative on Flood. Those big battles are going to be drawn out a little longer.
Q: Who is the most underrated 3* prospect in Texas?
GH: Summit DE Joseph Adedire is a really good football player.
EN: Michael Ibukun-Okeyode AKA Charles Omenitwo.
Q: Realistic OL?
EN: Conner Robertson, Kelvin Banks, Devon Campbell. Those guys are expected in the class. Beyond that, it’s guesswork.
After that it gets murkier but Dewberry being on a longer timeline is a good thing. The staff can keep working on other OOS priorities like Agbo in the meantime.
I think UT could make things interesting with Umeozulu.
Q: Pick one recruit who you're more bullish on making it in the class who most assume won't make it in, and one who you're bearish on who most think will make it in
EN: Until recently I was more bullish on Kevin Coleman making it in, but that’s going to be Bama I’m pretty sure. I think Dewberry ends up in the class long-term. I’d say somebody else too but then I’d be accused of drumming up clicks or some such.
I want to get a better read on Neto. I’m not giving up on him just because he’s at Allen.
Bearish on....not really bearish on anyone, other than Bear.
GH: This is total crapshoot
Making it in: Jaray Bledsoe, but so early to go there for me.
Not in the class: Terrance Brooks, again so early
Q: Once visits open back up, do you expect this to help or hurt the Texas staff's recruitments? Specifically for bigger time prospects
JC: Visits will help all involved, kids, coaches, parents.
Plus, with the West Coast efforts, you want those recruits to be able to see everything for themselves instead of through a computer screen
EN: That would help in a major way. These coaches are killing it with the current players in person, that will sell with recruits.
Q: Info on WR recruiting can be like drinking from a fire hose given all the talent in the 2022 class — can you sort/group the WRs either by skill level or skill set so it makes it easier to see where there might be some overlap?
GH: Really believe inside the state lines all these guys are Texas good, or have a trait the program needs:
Evan Stewart
Jordan Hudson
Brenen Thompson
Chris Marshall
Caleb Burton
Nicholas Anderson
Matthew Golden
Jay Fair
Armani Winfield
Easiest way to do it...
Both a run & catch, & catch & run WRs:
Evan Stewart
Jordan Hudson
Chris Marshall
Caleb Burton
Matthew Golden
Run & catch WR:
Nicholas Anderson
Armani Winfield
Noah Thomas
Catch & run WR:
Brenen Thompson
DJ Allen
Stephon Johnson
CJ Nelson
Q: As per Bobby's write up - Sark's been killing it. Has this surpassed all that you could have imagined with about 1 month on the job or you're not really suprised?
EN: I figured he’d recruit pretty well, especially after the Natty, but probably not be this good this quick, especially without visits. I think he’s flipped kids in UT’s direction quicker than I anticipated. He won some guys over that I thought would require a lot more work.
Q: Why are we seeing such a difference in offensive and defensive line recruits versus skill position players as far as waiting on their commitments?
GH: Those trench monsters are the toughest battles.
Premium position prospects are the toughest - DL, OT, CB
EN: Sark as an OC is going to appeal to skill guys first and foremost. Drayton already had a long standing relationship with Blue. Coleman had a long standing relationship with Winfield, and to a lesser degree, Stewart (Sark was big time there).
Texas retained two coaches, both at offensive skill positions.
The d-line was going to be an uphill battle no matter what. This was evident months and months ago. Sometimes it sets up like 2020 and sometimes it doesn’t.
The OL is fantastic shape even without commits, so I’m not worried there.
Q: Herman had a lot of relationships in the North Houston area (Oak Ridge, Spring schools, Huntsville, etc) that helped him win recruits deep in A&M territory. I don’t expect Sark to win this area at the same rate as Herman but do you think he will be able to win his share (obviously Jaydon Blue is a good start)?
GH: Honestly, that was all Corby Meekins. Meekins was a better hire by Herman than given credit for. Meekins has really deep roots in the area.
Texas will be fine in that area!
Q: How, if at all, has Sark and staff surprised you good or bad?
EN: Pushing for Maalik surprised me, but it was smart given who else he wants to recruit at the position.
He’s been more active than I anticipated. It’s a requirement that he’s active but he’s exceeded my expectations. He talks to a ton of people every day.
Q: Is Caleb Burton a possibility in this class? without, you know...
EN: Only get him with a Quinn flip and missing on some other guys, imo.
JW: I don’t think so. Texas and coach Coleman stay in contact, but I believe the staff has other WRs rated higher currently.
Q: There still seems to be a great deal of confidence on the A&M side for Bryce Anderson. Any reason for concern?
GH: Not at this point.
EN: Sit back and enjoy it.
Q: Is UT even recruiting Austin Jordan or is he an OU lock?
GH: With Bryan Allen jr to Texas, this one makes a lot of sense for OU.
EN: Barely recruiting him. He’s always been a safety and UT has some studs on the safety board.
JW: Not really
Q: Most likely 2nd RB?
GH: Most likely, has to be Jamarion Miller at this point. The Pelican State kids are long shots, and Texas has yet to offer the Newton hammer Gatson.
Q: Who’s your prediction for RB2 and which OOS OL is our best shot?
EN: I think RB2 is someone off the board. If it’s someone who is currently known, then have to go with Miller. It just seems they want a bigger back.
Probably Agbo just because of how he profiles.
Q: Has there been any change in contact with Jamarion Miller since Owens and Blue commitments?
JW: Nope. He spoke to Drayton the other day. I’ll see Jamarion at a track meet on Friday.
Q: Seems like there will have to be massive attrition at WR before 2022 class. Do you think that will occur at various times such as after spring game, after fall camp and after the 21 season or in some other fashion.
EN: There’s no value in massaging guys out of the program before the season but who knows for sure?
Q: Any 22 in state kids you see being offered soon?
JW: Newton RB DeAnthony Gatson is a possibility, but I believe Texas is waiting to see what Miller, Citizen are going to do. Arlington Lamar’s Blake Ford could too. My sleeper: I love Prosper’s Tyler Bailey. Just too many great receivers in this state.
GH: Not soon, but my sleeper for down the line is Skyline CB Anthony Davis.
Q: In your opinion, what is the number of wins for the 2021 season that will cement commitments as compared to losing commitments?
EN: Nine. I expect 10, though.
Q: Any new news on Denver Harris?
EN: Nothing has changed on my end since we wrote about him last week. Coach Reagins taking the HC job at Brookshire should be a net neutral on that recruitment.
Q: I know Texas is still in hot pursuit of Quinn, but IF he doesn’t flip back, do y’all think the staff is still pursuing a second QB in the class given what we know about the studs they’ll be pursuing in ‘23? And if so, who do you think would be most likely for them to pursue and maybe even land?
EN: QB boards can change in a hurry. What if someone transfers? What if Murphy struggles in his abbreviated season? Too early to know.
JW: Solid question. I believe Sark prefers two QBs in the cycle, at least today, but he just wait out QE until NSD. In-state is deep for QB2 if they needed one.
GH: Possible for sure depending on how the spring goes for QB's on campus, and Murphy. If things look good on both fronts, Texas is in the thick of the race for Arch Manning
Q: Still the feeling that Texas will take a TE in this class?
JW: Hard to say. Banks wants it to be a good one if they use a schollie. Couple OOS kids are on UT’s radar. If Sanders sticks at TE, I say pass on the position.
EN: Since they offered Llewellyn, who is a nice versatile piece but not a world beater, I’m guessing so.
Q: O/U on flips: 1.5?
JW: Over. Barely.
Q: With an early understanding of the emerging 2023-2024 prospects, positionally where is the generational talent in state? I.e. QB in 2022, WR in 2022. Ex. Denver Harris might not be considered a generational talent at CB, so is there one in 2023-2024 to keep our early eyes on?
GH: Great Q. 2023 is not strong in state unless a lot of guys pop up. Odd class at this point. DeSoto staff believes 2024 CB Mario Buford will be the best CB prospect ot ever come through the school ... that is saying A LOT
Q: Are they slow playing Miller or ?
JW: No, they’re recruiting him. He’s not ready to commit anywhere at the moment. They won't wait too long.
Q: What's up with taking both a punter and a kicker in '21, then pushing hard for another kicker in '22? With so much talent in each of these two classes it seems odd to use a spot on a kicker in '22 when we got both a punter and a kicker the year before.
JC: Pearson is scholarship. Buj has two season ending injuries. And Pearson is perceived to be the real deal. '21 Kicker was a walk-on.
GH: 2021 K was PWO. The 2022 K Blake Ford is ranked No. 1 ranked in the country.
Q: Sorry if we've already pinned it down, but what's our number for OL? I like where they're sitting with the good ones, and they need to play catch-up after 2020, so we looking at 5 or 6?
GH: 4-5 if they don't get their top guys. 5-6 if they shoot the moon.
Q: What's the take on Arch's recruitment timeline? I assume with what EN said, he's probably waiting to see BOB call Bamas offence and see if Sarks offence carries over here?
GH: Haven't heard a timeline.
Q: Texas still in a favorable spot for Niuafe Tuihalamaka? Or I guess as favorable of a spot as you can be for a OOS prospect during these times.
JC: Just made his top five. From speaking with him, his timeline is seemingly unclear since the ability to visit is unclear.
Q: Is Zac Swanson a take at this point in time?
EN: He is.
Q: Glad to hear that. Are we trailing USC and Oregon [for Swanson] at this point?
EN: No, I wouldn’t say they’re trailing anyone at this point.
Q: At this point in time is the Safety Kamari Wilson or Mathews a more realistic option. Or is both still majorly In play?
EN: We don’t write about Kamari but have been mentioning Jacoby Mathews with increasing frequency. That’s your answer. Mathews is definitely in play and I don’t think Kamari Wilson has ever really been in play.
JW: The guy we’ve been writing about. (Mathews)
Q: Not a question but a suggestion regarding updates on Dewberry... I’m pretty sure Hayden Conner played little league football with him growing up and just might be working behind the scenes to try to pull him in. You might want to check that source if you talk to him anytime soon. He might be able to provide an inside scoop?? BTW - it also would mean Bryce Foster/Fatheree played with him as well and would be pulling him to ags.
EN: He works out with Cosmi and Green but those guys won’t factor. The one person they mention as having positive influence is Derrick Harris (the families are very close), but even then, that impact is negligible.
Q: Does the staff see Jacoby Matthews as an OLB or S? If OLB, who is the most likely S take (or 2) after BJ Allen?
GH: S first with spin down frame
JW: OLB. Mentioned Monday. Bryce Anderson might be the other safety take.
Q: Obviously too early to tell with certainty as kids rise and fall with more game tape but who are your must haves for '23 and '24?
EN: 2023 is looking to be down, outside of CB and DL. It’s early, though.
These are guys off the top of my head who stand out to me. Not a comprehensive list. We’ll drop a watch list later this month after some camps.
RB Tre Wisner, Waco Connally
WR Jonah Wilson, Spring Dekaney
WR Jaquaize Pettaway, Langham Creek
WR Jalen Hale, Longview
TE Jaden Greathouse, Westlake
DL Avion Carter, Amarillo Tascosa
DL Jordan Renaud, Lewisville
DB/WR Dalton Brooks, Shiner
DB Deldrick Madison, Duncanville
CB Javien Toviano, Arl Martin
CB Jamel Johnson, Arl Seguin
CB Jacoby Davis, North Shore
CB Ryan Yaites, Denton Guyer
2024 — A little too early for me at this point.
Q: I keep seeing the potential Quinn Ewers flips on these boards... I follow him on Instagram and he is heavy Buckeye tilts with things. What hints have given us thought of a potential flip and what percentages do you have? Is it based on how Texas does this season if they win 10+ games or what?
EN: We‘re keeping the board off the roller coaster while telling y’all he’s still in play. That’s the best we can do right now.
Q: Top in state QB 23?
EN: Haven’t seen a take yet. I suspect Bo Edmundson (Lake Travis) will be better than Jake Strong (Justin Northwest) but it’s too early. That‘s looking to be an out of state cycle.
JW: Jake Strong, so far. Still waiting to see more from this position materialize.
GH: Probably Jake Strong at this point.
Q: Does Bear Alexander have some sort of previous connection to Georgia, or did his commitment just come out of the green, er blue?
EN: Georgia materialized very late.
Q: Which 22 recruit committed or not would make the biggest impact on the team from day 1?
EN: First thing you look at is where would there be an early opening to play extensively — theoretically that would be WR or maybe CB. They already have top WR recruit Evan Stewart, but hopefully he has to compete with Jordan Hudson, who I think will be just as ready, if not more so. An elite, or even really good edge, would have a chance to play early as well.
JW: Harold Perkins or Evan Stewart.
Q: How much of a program seller is David Mulugeta? The top agent in the NFL is a recent UT alum with a ton of connections to UT football. You also have Jeremy Hills in Austin who is turning into one of the top trainers for the pros.
EN: He might come in handy the more his players want to be around the program. That dude came up the last 7-8 years.
Q: What rank will this class end at?
JW: Top 5, imvho.
GH: Ask again May 1
Q: Doesn’t North Mesquite have a WR who’s been impressing in 7on7 recently?
JW: Cordae Russell. Big time..
Q: Does Hutson's upside approach the other elite OL recruits?
EN: He might be a better overall prospect than Robertson, though Robertson is the better center prospect. It’s a loaded cycle but that dude would not be out of place in the class. His best position is guard and Campbell has one spot earmarked. I’d take him as a floor setter right now and be thrilled with it.
Q: Personally, I think Perkins while freakish is a tad overrated. I see legit 4 star, but 5 star?
EN: Five-star athlete but has more questions about him than a five-star should. Would love to see him at his college position.

Thanks for the transcription, tars.
Eric can’t keep Quinn out his mouth. Gerry is clearly pulling a lotta weight here.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean our OL is not good but hopefully our offense takes some pressure off of them. We've had a decade of subpar OL combined with absolutely stupid offensive design (or stubborn to the point of stupidity playcalling) that has never helped them. Sure it's offseason optimism but maybe correct utilization of RBs in the passing game, quick hitting passes, and an actual running game can help the OL on play action, etc.

I’m in that minority that thinks there is more talent on the line that most believe. Is it a good or great line? I don’t think so now for sure but I saw what happened in the last two games of the year when we got out of our own way with our scheme and personnel decisions. You can say Colorado was a depleted team but that Kansas State defense was Big 12 average at least and that line was dominant with two true freshman playing.  I think what we have to work with on the line is underrated. 

But yes we nearly entirely whiffed on 2021 recruiting so I do agree that position is the most important position in this recruiting cycle . If we don’t nail OL in this class we will have a 2014 style fucking mess on the line potentially at some point. 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I mean our OL is not good but hopefully our offense takes some pressure off of them. We've had a decade of subpar OL combined with absolutely stupid offensive design (or stubborn to the point of stupidity playcalling) that has never helped them. Sure it's offseason optimism but maybe correct utilization of RBs in the passing game, quick hitting passes, and an actual running game can help the OL on play action, etc.

This is a good take.

A good play caller can't make an offensive lineman better,  but he can sure enough hide some of his deficiencies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Loving this staff to this point. Recruiting seems fun again. The program seems to be on firmer ground than is has been in what feels like eons. More optimistic with regard to chances of holding down the offseason Koolaid through a complete season without curling up with dry heaves halfway in. Put me on the fuck around an find out bus, but I feel much better bout the ride ahead than I have in a long time.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Loving this staff to this point. Recruiting seems fun again. The program seems to be on firmer ground than is has been in what feels like eons. More optimistic with regard to chances of holding down the offseason Koolaid through a complete season without curling up with dry heaves halfway in. Put me on the fuck around an find out bus, but I feel much better bout the ride ahead than I have in a long time.

Optimism is warranted. This staff is light years ahead of the previous two initial staffs. I’m hopeful that we won’t get out coaches by lesser teams anymore. Make them beat us instead of beating ourselves.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Laga4 said:

This is a good take.

A good play caller can't make an offensive lineman better,  but he can sure enough hide some of his deficiencies. 

We have a great play caller coupled with a really good OL coach. I’m not saying we start dominating the trenches by any means but our OL play will be improved. That’s good for at least a few wins all by itself me thinks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Optimism is warranted. This staff is light years ahead of the previous two initial staffs. I’m hopeful that we won’t get out coaches by lesser teams anymore. Make them beat us instead of beating ourselves.

It’s been like 3 months, let’s not start sucking each others dicks just yet. 

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

It’s been like 3 months, let’s not start sucking each others dicks just yet. 

OIP.jhMZO6Cagcgnp3LYWSLwnAHaFk?pid=ImgDe

Mike at Night (2022s)

Spoiler

— Earlier today, Nick put in a pick for Brenen Thompson to land at Clemson. This shouldn't be much of a surprise considering what we've been reporting about Thompson's relationship with Cade Klubnik who recently picked the Tigers. Nick has a great relationship with Thompson and his family having made the trip last year to see him in action, and I trust what he's hearing there to go along with the initial information I heard on the issue. I'm also putting in a pick for the Tigers.

— Denton Ryan 2022 cornerback Austin Jordan released a Top 3 of Texas, Ohio State and Oklahoma today. In checking with sources near him, it seems the Sooners are pushing the hardest for him right now. With that in mind and Billy Bowman in Norman, the Sooners certainly seem like the favorite right now. I'm entering a Crystal Ball prediction for Oklahoma in that race.

— Keep an eye on 2022 Alief Hastings OL Timi Gagophien as a potential Texas target. The Houston-area tackle is on a meteoric rise after getting his film out with Houston, Nevada, New Mexico, Ole Miss and UNLV all offering in recent days. With a shortage on true tackle bodies in the state of Texas, Gagophien could be a guy that area schools jump on.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting