Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

— Denton Ryan 2022 cornerback Austin Jordan released a Top 3 of Texas, Ohio State and Oklahoma today. In checking with sources near him, it seems the Sooners are pushing the hardest for him right now. With that in mind and Billy Bowman in Norman, the Sooners certainly seem like the favorite right now. I'm entering a Crystal Ball prediction for Oklahoma in that race.

IT mentioned in the chat we are barely recruiting Jordan at this point so this isn’t a big hit. Seeing Bowman in this blurb and remembering he ended up at OU sucks though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike at Night (2022s)

Hide contents

— Keep an eye on 2022 Alief Hastings OL Timi Gagophien as a potential Texas target. The Houston-area tackle is on a meteoric rise after getting his film out with Houston, Nevada, New Mexico, Ole Miss and UNLV all offering in recent days. With a shortage on true tackle bodies in the state of Texas, Gagophien could be a guy that area schools jump on.

https://247sports.com/Player/Timi-Gagophien-46110111/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11555290/Timi-gagophien

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know about that. Cade Brewer goes down upon visual contact. 
Towards the end of the season Wittington seemed to have a knack for tackling himself with no contact..

But I'm willing to chalk that up to the old groin issue not being 100% and causing weird balance issues. Hopefully it doesnt continue this year..

6 hours ago, randygilman said:

I don’t think the no track is getting enough attention. Track is a huge part of what makes him a special athlete, and I would think Clemson not having track would deal a huge blow to their chances. Has any 9.95er asked him his thoughts on college track? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Clemson announced in November that it would be getting rid of its men's cross country and track teams at the end of the current academic year. The school hasn't announced plans to cut other programs at this point, and the women's program is expected to continue. Athletic director Dan Radakovich said in an open letter announcing the decision that financial challenges (the athletic department is projecting a loss of $25 million in revenue this fiscal year) were only part of the reasoning that led the school to stop sponsoring track and cross country.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30655868/complaint-alleges-clemson-removal-men-track-racial-discrimination

Looks like it is in litigation.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

How does Clemson not have a track and field program?

They just eliminated it to save money for their ailing athletic dept (note how much they’ve spent on the campus silly upgrades) and there’s some interesting noise around it ... 

More than 3% of all Black male undergraduates at Clemson (22 of 693) are members of the track and field or cross country teams. 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30655868/complaint-alleges-clemson-removal-men-track-racial-discrimination%3Fplatform%3Damp

Edited by golfclap

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They just eliminated it to save money for their ailing athletic dept (note how much they’ve spent on the campus silly upgrades) and there’s some interesting noise around it ... 

More than 3% of all Black male undergraduates at Clemson (22 of 693) are members of the track and field or cross country teams. 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/30655868/complaint-alleges-clemson-removal-men-track-racial-discrimination%3Fplatform%3Damp

That's half the reason a bunch of the Ivies made abrupt u-turns on cutting sports teams. Turns out it was going to be really bad for their diversity metrics.

We'll see how much Clemson cares.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That's half the reason a bunch of the Ivies made abrupt u-turns on cutting sports teams. Turns out it was going to be really bad for their diversity metrics.

We'll see how much Clemson cares.

Clemson is 6.3% black, which is significantly higher than UT's 3.9% figure. However, South Carolina is 27% black compared to Texas at 12% and that matters for public institutions. Will be interesting to watch.

But I've already spent too much time on that not directly recruiting related issue. Self-negged.

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Alright... I gave this guy over 36 hours and there's been no commitment. Now I need to learn how to neg a tweet

You simply tweet it at croots directly. Not sure who this one was inferring so I’d fire it off to all of them with an offer just to be on the safe side

(Eric Nahlin) Recruiting timelines for 2022 targets

Spoiler

By: @Eric Nahlin

If you’ve followed recruiting for any length of time, you know decision timelines can change in a hurry. In fact, a good staff will tend to get recruits off of their timelines somewhat frequently. It helps when recruits are feeling urgent.

We’re still in different times though, and without the freedom to take visits, recruits can’t do their proper diligence. That matters more to some than it does to others.

Keeping in mind timelines can change, and aren’t always clear to begin with, here’s how we view individual timelines currently. We’ve gleaned this information from talking to the recruit, a parent, someone close to him, or sources on the Texas side.

SPRING

OL Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX): Texas needs to get a stud offensive lineman in the class and Banks fits the bill. He’s a priority for numerous schools which makes it a difficult recruitment to close out, even when a school is in the best position like we feel Texas is.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX): We’ve heard from a family source this recruitment will play out until the end, and we don’t want to assume we know more than a family member, but there’s plenty of talk this recruitment will be over much sooner than that.

OL Connor Robertson, Westlake (Austin, TX): Like many of his classmates he’d like to take visits but he’s not quite the profile of Campbell and Banks and may feel motivated to close things down earlier.

DL Kristopher Ross, North Shore (Houston, TX): He’s scheduled to announce on March 23rd.

DL Zac Swanson, Brophy College Preparatory (Phoenix, AZ): He recently dropped a top four of Texas, Oregon, USC, and Kentucky. We see a spring or summer decision, but he would prefer to take visits.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX): Scheduled for his birthday, April 9th. If Texas can get him in the class, it will have picked up a five-star recruiter.

DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA): Spring or early summer for the composite five-star. We like him at linebacker. Florida is the primary competition.

SUMMER/BEFORE THE SEASON

RB Jamarion Miller, Legacy (Tyler, TX): We’ll see if the Alabama offer changes his calculus. Texas is high on him but he could be viewed as a bit redundant to Jaydon Blue.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX): He wants to take visits which we’re hoping are allowed beginning in June. It’s going to be funny when a college campus/football program is the last place on earth a prospective college student/football player can visit. Funny or incredibly sad.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco (Frisco, TX): Similar to Umeozulu.

WR Kevin Coleman, St. Mary's (St. Louis, MO): We have him in the summer bucket but he could commit before then, probably to Alabama.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX): He wants to take visits, even if they’re student visits over the comings weeks. He could elect to decide in the spring.

WR Tetairoa McMillan, Servite (Anaheim, CA): Wants to take visits.

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA): Wants to take visits.

DE DJ Wesolak, Boonville (Boonville, MO): The Clemson offer means his decision might be sped up if they truly press.

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage (Carthage, TX): Wants to take visits. This will be a regional battle. If Texas has Mathews committed we’ll see if the staff chooses to stay in this one.

LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA): Recently dropped a top five that we feel is a top two between Texas and Notre Dame. He wants to take an official to each of the five before deciding.

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II (Plano, TX): He wants to decide before his senior year. He’s also working to enroll early. Texas or Bama, in our opinion.

DB Jarred Kerr, Lexington (Lexington, TX): Same deal as Brooks, right down to enrolling early. He could extend into the season if he’s still unsure. Texas, A&M, or OU, in our opinion.

ATH Ish Harris, Pilot Point (Pilot Point, TX): Texas just made his top list of schools and will battle Utah, Oklahoma, Baylor, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State for his services.

LATE/POSTSEASON/ALL STAR GAME

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascosita (Humble, TX): It wouldn’t be shocking if he committed earlier but he could decide as late as the Under Armour game. That wouldn’t be a bad thing for UT, unless the OL underperforms.

OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WA): He wants to drop a top eight or so in the summer. That likely leads to an in-season, or later, decision.

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall (Missouri City, TX): This one is tougher to handicap because by his own admission he’s going to take his time, but our intel and intuition make us think A&M could win out much sooner.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX): He may announce at the Under Armour game but his timeline isn’t set in stone. A summer decision isn’t out of the question.

DL Omari Abor, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): This is a bit of a guess. Duncanville kids seem to take their time and this will be a hard fought recruitment for any school to win.

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond (Bremond, TX): This is a total guess. Bledsoe is brand new to the process and he’s going to be pulled in a hundred different directions.

DL Ernest Cooper IV, Martin (Arlington, TX): We’re trying to find out if he’s been accepted to Stanford yet. The Cardinal are the clear favorite but Texas will keep plugging away with the help of Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson.

LB Harold Perkins, Cypress Park (Cypress, TX): This has the potential to turn into a wild one and wild recruitments rarely end early.

• Hook 'Em 3

Meme Cockroach GIF by MOODMAN

Mike Roach:  Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau growing closer with Texas staff

Spoiler

Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau growing closer with Texas staff

MikeRoach

BULLHEAD CITY, Ariz. — Jaylon Guilbeau heads into his senior season with confidence. A two-year starter for Port Arthur Memorial, Guilbeau enters his third straight year as a varsity starter for the Titans. Since he first started, his game has improved and he's working on sharpening every aspect.

"My game is way improved," he said. "My sophomore year it was kind of iffy because it was my first time playing varsity football. I'm trying to get better every day at everything. There's something to work on every day."

Guilbeau committed to Jay Valai and Tom Herman, but he's been building a relationship with new Texas defensive backs coach Terry Joseph. So far, the two have been talking about what the future holds for Guilbeau.

"Coach Joseph is my dog," he said. "We just had a meeting and we were talking about leverages, coverages and just the scheme at UT. I'm liking what I'm hearing."

Guilbeau has been getting a sense of what Joseph brings to the table as a teacher of the position and he feels that he will fit with Joseph's vision for him.

"He can do both," Guilbeau said. "He can teach one on one or he can coach a whole group. That plays a big part in the program and that's what I like about coach Joseph. Sometimes you have to have the energy too with a coach."

Guilbeau expressed an interest in exploring his options when Tom Herman was fired, but he's changed his tune on that front.

"I'm one hundred percent committed," he said. "I'm committed to Texas."

Now, Guilbeau is focused on recruiting others to join him. One of his primary targets is close friend and elite safety Bryce Anderson.

"We're trying to get a couple of more guys with us," he said. "Hopefully Bryce (Anderson) will come. He's from Beaumont, you know the 409 and I'm from the 409. We're trying to get him at UT. I know coach Sark is going to have the offense rolling so now we have to build up on the defense."

Guilbeau's primary focus is on getting his studies in order. He wants to take some classes this summer so he can enroll early at Texas.

"I'm trying to early enroll," he said. "I've got a Zoom meeting with coach Joseph to figure out my classes. I've got to take four classes in the summer. Hopefully I can get those out of the way and then I can go work and grind at Texas."

At 5-foot-11.5, 175 pounds, Guilbeau is ranked as the No. 17 cornerback in the country and No. 24 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite,

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Clemson is 6.3% black, which is significantly higher than UT's 3.9% figure. However, South Carolina is 27% black compared to Texas at 12% and that matters for public institutions. Will be interesting to watch.

But I've already spent too much time on that not directly recruiting related issue. Self-negged.

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I was told there would be no demographics

Yeah, but how far is Clemson, SC from Silsbee, can it be considered part part of the DC metro (or is that just Baltimore), and more importantly, how does the degree compare to Stanford?

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Yeah, but how far is Clemson, SC from Silsbee, can it be considered part part of the DC metro (or is that just Baltimore), and more importantly, how does the degree compare to Stanford?

spacer.png

Fuck Stanford and their fake ass bullshit, their Taco Bell wannabe campus and their hairy, fugly women

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I seem to recall that he had like a 35-yard reception and a 20-yard rush in the Alamo Bowl. Looked fine to me.
Watch the highlights again, he either lost balance and tackled himself, or went down with light contact. Like I said, hope it was just him getting his legs back under him after so long being injured.

50 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Some situations call for a scalpel, some situations call for a sledgehammer. A big go-fuck-yourself power back would be a sensible complement.

Which guys fit that mold? I dunno how accurate 247's measurements are, but the only offers we have out for backs >200 lbs according to them are Citizen, Kaytron Allen from IMG, and Blue himself.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Which guys fit that mold? I dunno how accurate 247's measurements are, but the only offers we have out for backs >200 lbs according to them are Citizen, Kaytron Allen from IMG, and Blue himself.

Citizen's the guy. We'll see what Drayton/Harris will do if he drifts LSU.

IT thinks the second back is probably going to end up being someone we haven't offered yet.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Citizen's the guy. We'll see what Drayton/Harris will do if he drifts LSU.

IT thinks the second back is probably going to end up being someone we haven't offered yet.

You(/the pay sites) think Citizen is a priority for the staff over Miller? Intradasting.

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

You(/the pay sites) think Citizen is a priority for the staff over Miller? Intradasting.

It seems like they won't turn down found money if Miller decides to jump on board, he's very good, but in an ideal world they'd like a bulkier back. Bit of a sticky wicket.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting