Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

One offer from previous staff, then a re-offer to affirm we want him. 12 more is just ridiculous. I’m an asshole for picking on a kid about his Twitter speak lulz. 

It shouldn't take you 3 sentences execute the 14 offers punchline.

Edited by pacman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

I'm not a saint, but only need one more miracle to qualify. My first miracle was getting my wife to accept my marriage proposal. Now, I either need to start helping the poors or become a martyr if I want to be forever known as St. Reese of Laredo.

I'll vote for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2021 at 2:37 AM, HtownHorn said:

Of course they would. Jimbo has taken a 11 WRs in his 3+ classes so far. I guess it does help that 3 have already portaled, but taking 5+ in one class makes total sense for a LOS league.

That touches on a question I've been pondering. If they could take 5 Demond Demases in one class, how many catches and yards would they combine for as freshmen?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

No the other Gagophien.

Also I was today years old when I learned Gagophien is a Nigerian last name, not an Armenian one.

I did not know that. I just figured that I shouldn't be surprised that a dude named Timi was having problems spelling.

• Haha 2

IT mods do percentages for recruits

Spoiler

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX): One of the biggest needs in the class, IT feels he’s been close to shutting things down at times. The more competitive the recruitment, the harder it is to close out.

Biggest competition: A&M, LSU, OU

EN: 80%. I’m not so worried about LSU or OU, but I think A&M is worth paying attention to.
GH: 70%. Texas A&M is a threat, and LSU was the leader during the season.
JW: 80%. If he didn’t have a de-commit under his belt already (Oklahoma State), he might already be in the class.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX): The elite interior prospect has long been a fan of the Horns.

Biggest competition: OU

EN: 85%. It’s a tale of two timelines: we feel Campbell would personally like to choose but his family wants him to be sure of his decision and wait.
GH: 80%. The longer it plays out, the more opportunity there is for an upset.
JW: 85%. Austin might be one of the only schools he’s visited. He’s low key and prefers Kyle Flood’s recruiting and playing style.

DL Kris Ross, North Shore (Houston, TX): The athletic d-lineman is deciding soon.

Biggest competition: USC

EN: 85%. Ross got the offer he wanted, then a couple other nice ones to make it a wee bit interesting.
GH: 80%. Only way Texas doesn’t win this one is if they get Hussle’d.
JW: 80%. Bo knows recruiting. Kris would Warm Up this class on March 23rd.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX): Bry name is versatility. He’d get his first look at corner then move in.

Biggest competition: A&M

EN: 85%. This would be a big jolt to instate leadership in the class, not to mention the overall talent.
GH: 89%. Just wanted to have the highest % here.
JW: 88%. Seeing other schools currently push is only more confirmation of Orange house.

DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA)

Biggest competition: Florida, LSU

EN: 70%. Florida feels good, but still wonders if he’d leave Louisiana. LSU is a mess right now, and it could get messier. Texas would prefer UF to be concerned about LSU.
GH: 70%. Trending for Texas, but this is still reeling in a high level SEC prospect out of the Pelican State.
JW: 72%. Wildcard with five-star abilities. This is a guy that Mack Brown used to snag in the 2000s and cut loose on defense.

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II (Plano, TX): Maybe the most underrated player in the state, and perhaps nation.

Biggest competition: Alabama, Notre Dame, OU

EN: 75%. Gerry is absolutely right, I just happen to feel good about where Texas stands in each regard.
GH: 51%. This recruitment will come down to coach relationships, and presenting a clear picture on how Brooks will be used in a scheme. Alabama is recruiting him at corner, as is Texas.
JW: 60%. Texas vs. the Field.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX): Elite corner, must-get, etc.

Biggest competition: Alabama

EN: 60%. Shades of the Anthony Cook recruitment, a recruitment Texas won with a lesser staff. Still, it’s Bama, so you pay close attention to every move.
GH: 50%. Nick Saban just hired an analyst that played at North Shore. The G.O.A.T. is positioning himself to upset Texas, and beating out Bo Davis, Jeff Banks and Sark for a Houston area premium position prospect would about equal winning an SEC title for Saban.
JW: 65%. Bama might be sexy, but Texas is still closer to home. That’ll matter.

WR Chris Marshall, Marshall (Missouri City, TX): Bigger receiver with small-man traits and natural hands.

EN: 25%. The longer it goes the more UT will have a chance. I’m not truly interested unless he visits campus.
GH: 30%. The chance to be the next Caleb Chapman is too tough to pass up. Make no mistake, Texas wants this guy.
JW: 25%. While he contends he’s wide open, Texas A&M has some confidence here.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (Cypress, TX): Uncommonly athletic linebacker.

Biggest competition: The SEC West

EN: 20%. Market demands often drive the craziness and Perkins is a scarce resource on a late timeline. Everything over the next handful of months is just jockeying for position.
GH: 35%. Jeff Banks will have Texas in this one. That’s about as far as I can see right now.
JW: 25%. If UT’s C/O 2022 keeps ascending up the charts, Perkins’ interest in the Horns will as well.

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascosita (Humble, TX): Exceedingly high floor G/T with every offer in the book.

Biggest competition: OU and A&M

EN: 55%. I’m predicting a big move for Texas throughout the rest of the cycle. Flood will need to put a good product on the field, if he does, this percentage could shoot way up. My feeling is Dewberry ends up at the school that wins the instate arms race.
GH: 45%. The rumors of a silent commit are flat out wrong. This one will play out a while. He wants Ohio State, but parents want closer to home.
JW: 58%. Six months ago, my percentage would be in the 20-25% range. From the O-line factory at Atascosita, he’s a prime example of good hires leading to momentum.

WR Kevin Coleman, St. Mary’s (St. Louis, MO)

EN: 25%. Texas desperately needs a visit for Coleman to connect with an offensive-minded head coach who also happened to be the architect of the record setting offense of the school he’s competing against. “Coach Saban’s great, he’ll turn you into a first round corner for sure. You really can’t go wrong.”
GH: 35%. Sark gives Texas a chance. Saban would love to beat Sark on a top WR.
JW: 20%. There’s some Maalik appeal here, but Alabama is turning into WRU and that alone gives them the best odds.

DL/EDGE Ernest Cooper, Martin (Arlington, TX)

Biggest competition: Stanford

EN: 25%. Texas needs TEAM GAMER FOOD (TOO SOON, but I hope they’re all dead) to hack his transcripts while still keeping them Texas good.
GH: 35%. If he was an OL it would be 0%.
JW: 20%. Call it Stanford PTSD, but Cooper strikes me as an out-of-state guy. However, the Texas influence in the Martin locker room is only getting stronger.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (Garland, TX) - Oklahoma

EN: 45%. Flip the bottle blonde and this shoots up.
GH: 40%. Hudson remains engaged in convos with the Texas staff, and his mom likes that he’s open to Texas.
JW: 42%. Billy Bowman-for-Jordan Hudson, straight up? I’ll take it.

RB Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy (Tyler, TX)

Biggest competition: OU and Alabama

EN: 40%. My read is UT won’t push like it needs to because he’s viewed as redundant to Blue.
GH: 45%. Alabama offer always knocks down the % for a team.
JW: 65%. Texas and Miller remain solid, but curious how long the Horns wait on its second RB take of 2022.

QB Quinn Ewers, Carroll (Southlake, TX) - Ohio State

Biggest competition: Ohio State

EN: 51%. The biggest competition is really within Quinn himself.
GH: Going with Rhett Bomar’s career completion % vs. Texas. 36.4%
JW: One percentage point higher than Eric and Gerry’s. It’ll be the national story of the cycle.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT mods do percentages for recruits

Hide contents

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX): One of the biggest needs in the class, IT feels he’s been close to shutting things down at times. The more competitive the recruitment, the harder it is to close out.

Biggest competition: A&M, LSU, OU

EN: 80%. I’m not so worried about LSU or OU, but I think A&M is worth paying attention to.
GH: 70%. Texas A&M is a threat, and LSU was the leader during the season.
JW: 80%. If he didn’t have a de-commit under his belt already (Oklahoma State), he might already be in the class.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX): The elite interior prospect has long been a fan of the Horns.

EN: 85%. It’s a tale of two timelines: we feel Campbell would personally like to choose but his family wants him to be sure of his decision and wait.
GH: 80%. The longer it plays out, the more opportunity there is for an upset.
JW: 85%. Austin might be one of the only schools he’s visited. He’s low key and prefers Kyle Flood’s recruiting and playing style.

DL Kris Ross, North Shore (Houston, TX): The athletic d-lineman is deciding soon.

Biggest competition: USC

EN: 85%. Ross got the offer he wanted, then a couple other nice ones to make it a wee bit interesting.
GH: 80%. Only way Texas doesn’t win this one is if they get Hussle’d.
JW: 80%. Bo knows recruiting. Kris would Warm Up this class on March 23rd.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX): Bry name is versatility. He’d get his first look at corner then move in.

EN: 85%. This would be a big jolt to instate leadership in the class, not to mention the overall talent.
GH: 89%. Just wanted to have the highest % here.
JW: 88%. Seeing other schools currently push is only more confirmation of Orange house.

DB Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (Ponchatoula, LA)

Biggest competition: Florida, LSU

EN: 70%. Florida feels good, but still wonders if he’d leave Louisiana. LSU is a mess right now, and it could get messier. Texas would prefer UF to be concerned about LSU.
GH: 70%. Trending for Texas, but this is still reeling in a high level SEC prospect out of the Pelican State.
JW: 72%. Wildcard with five-star abilities. This is a guy that Mack Brown used to snag in the 2000s and cut loose on defense.

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II (Plano, TX): Maybe the most underrated player in the state, and perhaps nation.

Biggest competition: Alabama, Notre Dame, OU

EN: 75%. Gerry is absolutely right, I just happen to feel good about where Texas stands in each regard.
GH: 51%. This recruitment will come down to coach relationships, and presenting a clear picture on how Brooks will be used in a scheme. Alabama is recruiting him at corner, as is Texas.
JW: 60%. Texas vs. the Field.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore (Houston, TX): Elite corner, must-get, etc.

EN: 60%. Shades of the Anthony Cook recruitment, a recruitment Texas won with a lesser staff. Still, it’s Bama, so you pay close attention to every move.
GH: 50%. Nick Saban just hired an analyst that played at North Shore. The G.O.A.T. is positioning himself to upset Texas, and beating out Bo Davis, Jeff Banks and Sark for a Houston area premium position prospect would about equal winning an SEC title for Saban.
JW: 65%. Bama might be sexy, but Texas is still closer to home. That’ll matter.

WR Chris Marshall, Marshall (Missouri City, TX): Bigger receiver with small-man traits and natural hands.

EN: 25%. The longer it goes the more UT will have a chance. I’m not truly interested unless he visits campus.
GH: 30%. The chance to be the next Caleb Chapman is too tough to pass up. Make no mistake, Texas wants this guy.
JW: 25%. While he contends he’s wide open, Texas A&M has some confidence here.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (Cypress, TX): Uncommonly athletic linebacker.

Biggest competition: The SEC West

EN: 20%. Market demands often drive the craziness and Perkins is a scarce resource on a late timeline. Everything over the next handful of months is just jockeying for position.
GH: 35%. Jeff Banks will have Texas in this one. That’s about as far as I can see right now.
JW: 25%. If UT’s C/O 2022 keeps ascending up the charts, Perkins’ interest in the Horns will as well.

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascosita (Humble, TX): Exceedingly high floor G/T with every offer in the book.

Biggest competition: OU and A&M

EN: 55%. I’m predicting a big move for Texas throughout the rest of the cycle. Flood will need to put a good product on the field, if he does, this percentage could shoot way up. My feeling is Dewberry ends up at the school that wins the instate arms race.
GH: 45%. The rumors of a silent commit are flat out wrong. This one will play out a while. He wants Ohio State, but parents want closer to home.
JW: 58%. Six months ago, my percentage would be in the 20-25% range. From the O-line factory at Atascosita, he’s a prime example of good hires leading to momentum.

WR Kevin Coleman, St. Mary’s (St. Louis, MO)

EN: 25%. Texas desperately needs a visit for Coleman to connect with an offensive-minded head coach who also happened to be the architect of the record setting offense of the school he’s competing against. “Coach Saban’s great, he’ll turn you into a first round corner for sure. You really can’t go wrong.”
GH: 35%. Sark gives Texas a chance. Saban would love to beat Sark on a top WR.
JW: 20%. There’s some Maalik appeal here, but Alabama is turning into WRU and that alone gives them the best odds.

DL/EDGE Ernest Cooper, Martin (Arlington, TX)

Biggest competition: Stanford

EN: 25%. Texas needs TEAM GAMER FOOD (TOO SOON, but I hope they’re all dead) to hack his transcripts while still keeping them Texas good.
GH: 35%. If he was an OL it would be 0%.
JW: 20%. Call it Stanford PTSD, but Cooper strikes me as an out-of-state guy. However, the Texas influence in the Martin locker room is only getting stronger.

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland (Garland, TX) - Oklahoma

EN: 45%. Flip the bottle blonde and this shoots up.
GH: 40%. Hudson remains engaged in convos with the Texas staff, and his mom likes that he’s open to Texas.
JW: 42%. Billy Bowman-for-Jordan Hudson, straight up? I’ll take it.

RB Jamarion Miller, Tyler Legacy (Tyler, TX)

Biggest competition: OU and Alabama

EN: 40%. My read is UT won’t push like it needs to because he’s viewed as redundant to Blue.
GH: 45%. Alabama offer always knocks down the % for a team.
JW: 65%. Texas and Miller remain solid, but curious how long the Horns wait on its second RB take of 2022.

QB Quinn Ewers, Carroll (Southlake, TX) - Ohio State

Biggest competition: Ohio State

EN: 51%. The biggest competition is really within Quinn himself.
GH: Going with Rhett Bomar’s career completion % vs. Texas. 36.4%
JW: One percentage point higher than Eric and Gerry’s. It’ll be the national story of the cycle.

Why does Hamilton keep making Nipsey Hussle references to Ross' recruitment? I don't know nearly enough about modern rap to get that joke.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Tell that to Duncanville.

Schools like Duncanville, based on their size and location, probably don't catch many meets, if any, where they're not being pushed pretty hard by competition.

Conversely, a guy like Thompson in a lower classification, at a school about as far up in the Panhandle as you can get, might not see many serious sprinting threats until the regional, unless they hit up a decent meet early on. If he's the type to run to the comp, which is the case for plenty of good sprinters, then we won't see his best until Austin, most likely. 

Edited by UncleBuck

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you average the IT percentages, here are the prospects listed sorted by likelihood to end up in the class

1) Bryce Anderson 87%

2) Devon Campbell 83%

3) Kris Ross 82%

4) Kelvin Banks 77%

5) Jacoby Mathews 71%

6) Terrance Brooks 62%

7) Denver Harris 58%

😎 Kam Dewberry 53%

9) Jamarion Miller 50% 

10) Quinn Ewers 47%

11) Jordan Hudson 42%

t12) Marshall, Perkins, Coleman, Cooper 27%

I like all of that

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting