Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Those percentages look pretty good, except for two things:

1) I don't feel great about beating out Saban for both Harris and Brooks. Would kind of rather have one of them at 40% and one at 80% than two around 60%.

2) Defensive line recruiting beyond Ross is one big question mark.

/satyanash

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

1) I don't feel great about beating out Saban for both Harris and Brooks. Would kind of rather have one of them at 40% and one at 80% than two around 60%.

/satyanash

In-state DL being a gigantic meh/who-knows beneath the top 4 guys is a real pain. Hopefully some guys show out next season.

15 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Schools like Duncanville, based on their size and location, probably don't catch many meets, if any, where they're not being pushed pretty hard by competition.

Conversely, a guy like Thompson in a lower classification, at a school about as far up in the Panhandle as you can get, might not see many serious sprinting threats until the regional, unless they hit up a decent meet early on. If he's the type to run to the comp, which is the case for plenty of good sprinters, then we won't see his best until Austin, most likely. 

Yeah I'm just saying Duncanville because they're 4x100 team ripped off an amazing time already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you average the IT percentages, here are the prospects listed sorted by likelihood to end up in the class

1) Bryce Anderson 87%

2) Devon Campbell 83%

3) Kris Ross 82%

4) Kelvin Banks 77%

5) Jacoby Mathews 71%

6) Terrance Brooks 62%

7) Denver Harris 58%

😎 Kam Dewberry 53%

9) Jamarion Miller 50% 

10) Quinn Ewers 47%

11) Jordan Hudson 42%

t12) Marshall, Perkins, Coleman, Cooper 27%

Weighted expectation would have us landing 7.93 of those 15, going to put a reminder for myself to check this around NSD1, not for accountability, but just my own curiosity as to the accuracy of the percentages

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Machinator said:

/satyanash

58% for Harris is actually alarming.  I thought he was close to a lock earlier this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Why does Hamilton keep making Nipsey Hussle references to Ross' recruitment? I don't know nearly enough about modern rap to get that joke.

Think that was a clumsy and outdated reference to Everyday I’m Husslin by Rick Ross

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

8. Kam Dewberry 53%

9. Jamarion Miller 50% 

I don't know how hard the staff is pushing with Dewberry. I know they've worked him some but he wasn't being recruited at all by Flood at Alabama and his ceiling is a question. He's also talked a lot about pushing back to NSD for a commit, I'm hopeful that the OL class comes together well before that. 

Miller is really good. I understand the idea behind feeling like maybe he's redundant to Blue in skillset but the question to me is "is the need for a bigger/power back more vital than taking a tremendous RB (Miller) even if his skill set is somewhat mirrored in the current commit?" and I don't know the answer. I will say that beyond Citizen it's not a banner year for bigger/stronger style guys. Texas didn't even kick the tires on Ollie Gordon before he committed to OkState, Tomarion Harden looks like a guy that could fill that role (and he plays with Maalik on Premium) but Texas hasn't made a connection there either and may simply want to see his development in the upcoming shortened CA season. It feels like you could grab an effective bigger back from the portal as needed, leaving you free to take Miller, but even with portal guys Texas only took a cursory glance at a few of the guys that fit that bigger/power concept. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Fud said:

If you average the IT percentages, here are the prospects listed sorted by likelihood to end up in the class

1) Bryce Anderson 87%

2) Devon Campbell 83%

3) Kris Ross 82%

4) Kelvin Banks 77%

5) Jacoby Mathews 71%

6) Terrance Brooks 62%

7) Denver Harris 58%

😎 Kam Dewberry 53%

9) Jamarion Miller 50% 

10) Quinn Ewers 47%

11) Jordan Hudson 42%

Errryyybody. This seems like peak Kool-aid. But it's tasty.

Not many crazy ones here but I was surprised to see Matthews, Brooks, Dewberry, and Ewers so high (although IT loves beating the Ewers drum). Banks seems like a source-off.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

1) Bryce Anderson 87%

2) Devon Campbell 83%

3) Kris Ross 82%

4) Kelvin Banks 77%

5) Jacoby Mathews 71%

6) Terrance Brooks 62%

7) Denver Harris 58%

😎 Kam Dewberry 53%

9) Jamarion Miller 50% 

10) Quinn Ewers 47%

11) Jordan Hudson 42%

4a299be1-06f2-4b94-a20a-24c36d0fbfbd_498

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

CJ Vogel on Duncanville

Spoiler

Yesterday, I was over at Duncanville to check in on a number of the state’s best that put on the Panther uniform in the fall.

After talking with Cameron Williams and Jaylen Early, it sounds as though Texas is not pursuing either. In fact, neither listed the Longhorns as a school that has been in contact with them recently.

While DE Omari Abor was not at school to talk with in person, I was able to dig up that Abor has not heard from Texas since the coaching staff change.

For whatever the reason is, Texas is not making a real push at Duncanville in the 2022 class. They recently offered 2023 CB Deldrick Madison, though it does not appear like the staff has really made a deep impression at one of the state’s best at producing talent year to year.

Darius Terrell adds:

Spoiler

I’d advise fans to pretty much forget about Texas getting any of the top dogs out of Duncanville for a little while after the way that Ja’Quinden Jackson feels like his situation was handled.

No, it doesn’t matter that it was a different staff.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Not many crazy ones here but I was surprised to see Matthews, Brooks, Dewberry, and Ewers so high (although IT loves beating the Ewers drum). Banks seems like a source-off.

IT does a thing where every time a poster over there brings up Ewers the mods act exacerbated by it and give a snippy answer while never missing an opportunity in their articles to throw gas on that fire.

I'm really interested in the Banks recruitment too. People with sources on the Texas side from multiple different sites (including this one) talk like we have a big lead but on the ags side they're still penciling him in to their class. Usually once the writing is on the wall (Bryce Anderson) their mods begin the gradual let down process.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

CJ Vogel on Duncanville

Hide contents

Yesterday, I was over at Duncanville to check in on a number of the state’s best that put on the Panther uniform in the fall.

After talking with Cameron Williams and Jaylen Early, it sounds as though Texas is not pursuing either. In fact, neither listed the Longhorns as a school that has been in contact with them recently.

While DE Omari Abor was not at school to talk with in person, I was able to dig up that Abor has not heard from Texas since the coaching staff change.

For whatever the reason is, Texas is not making a real push at Duncanville in the 2022 class. They recently offered 2023 CB Deldrick Madison, though it does not appear like the staff has really made a deep impression at one of the state’s best at producing talent year to year.

Darius Terrell adds:

Hide contents

I’d advise fans to pretty much forget about Texas getting any of the top dogs out of Duncanville for a little while after the way that Ja’Quinden Jackson feels like his situation was handled.

2nYmZiR.gif

Well that's a pain in the butt. Let's hope Ohio State or [insert SEC team] beats OU for every one of them.

Edited by texifornia

With depth in the LB room in much better shape, is moving Jaden Hullaby back to offense is a good idea?
Better shape doesnt mean great shape, LB is still a position in need of depth more than any on offense. Even RB should be fine with Daniel Young returning..and Wittington (knock on wood) being able to fill in there if needed.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

CJ Vogel on Duncanville

Reveal hidden contents

Darius Terrell adds:

Reveal hidden contents

So basically Duncanville is a bunch of petty bitches?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Duncanville news sucks but hard to think kids there will hold a grudge for too long if we have success and it's a whole new staff.

Anyone know the details of what happened with JQJ to sour things so badly? Coming in as a true freshman with Sam entrenched (and still rehabbing his injury) it can't be that he feels like he didn't get a fair shake at playing time.

Edited by UncleSonny
elguapo beat me to it

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

Did I miss something about how the last staff fucked up the JQJ situation? Is it because Yurcich had a hard-on for Card?

I think it's the whole "Texas won't give a black QB a chance" narrative that morons like Darius were pushing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Duncanville news sucks but hard to think kids there will hold a grudge for too long if we have success and it's a whole new staff.

Anyone know the details of what happened with JQJ to sour things so badly? Coming in as a true freshman with Sam entrenched (and still rehabbing his injury) it can't be that he feels like he didn't get a fair shake at playing time.

It may have had to do with how his injury situation was handled.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Did I miss something about how the last staff fucked up the JQJ situation? Is it because Yurcich had a hard-on for Card?

Has to be something else. I'd guess we've had some tough recruiting battles vs Rashad Samples?

2 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I think it's the whole "Texas won't give a black QB a chance" narrative that morons like Darius were pushing.

Yep, can't count Casey Thompson either.  God forbid if Hudson "white magic" Card beats him out.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

EN: 20%. Market demands often drive the craziness and Perkins is a scarce resource on a late timeline.

Nahlin needs an intervention. He clearly can’t stop himself from naming shitty market analogies. 

40 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I don't know how hard the staff is pushing with Dewberry. I know they've worked him some but he wasn't being recruited at all by Flood at Alabama and his ceiling is a question. He's also talked a lot about pushing back to NSD for a commit, I'm hopeful that the OL class comes together well before that. 

Miller is really good. I understand the idea behind feeling like maybe he's redundant to Blue in skillset but the question to me is "is the need for a bigger/power back more vital than taking a tremendous RB (Miller) even if his skill set is somewhat mirrored in the current commit?" and I don't know the answer. I will say that beyond Citizen it's not a banner year for bigger/stronger style guys. Texas didn't even kick the tires on Ollie Gordon before he committed to OkState, Tomarion Harden looks like a guy that could fill that role (and he plays with Maalik on Premium) but Texas hasn't made a connection there either and may simply want to see his development in the upcoming shortened CA season. It feels like you could grab an effective bigger back from the portal as needed, leaving you free to take Miller, but even with portal guys Texas only took a cursory glance at a few of the guys that fit that bigger/power concept. 

I agree Miller is a stud, and I’d be really disappointed if the staff was actually prioritizing worse big RBs over him. He may be somewhat similar to Ue, but I don’t think that matters when he’s by far our best option at RB2 IMO. 

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

With depth in the LB room in much better shape, is moving Jaden Hullaby back to offense is a good idea?

I wouldn’t really classify our depth at ILB as in better shape. We have a stud with an injury history, a complete and total headcase who can’t be relied on, and then young guys who’ve barely played in Ford, Gbenda, Tillman (not sure if he’s ILB or OLB) and Hullaby. Unless they think Hullaby’s not working out there, he should stay at ILB. Plus, we have decent depth at TE/HB and will want to get Sanders some snaps probably over Hullaby. 

Im not sure what position Ben Davis will play if he comes here, but I think he’s too big and slow to stick at ILB, but we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

58% for Harris is actually alarming.  I thought he was close to a lock earlier this year.

There might have been a few posters who drank too much kool aid, but I don’t think he’s ever been a lock, especially not with Bama prioritizing him and hiring Valai plus a staffer from his school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

all of it, including the wildly unrealistic expectations that Jackson obviously had and the black QB narrative bullshit, It's all exacerbated by number and sheer volume of the Sooner honks circulating around that program. It's worth the effort to try to crack that shell and point out the differences in the 2 staffs as much as possible because there are a couple of 2024 kids that are headed there that do like the Horns. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I agree Miller is a stud, and I’d be really disappointed if the staff was actually prioritizing worse big RBs over him. He may be somewhat similar to Ue, but I don’t think that matters when he’s by far our best option at RB2 IMO. 

Agree with this. Taking a less talented rb because he's bigger feels like a Herman move akin to putting Garrett Gray on the field. I don't get the feeling that Sark is stubborn in the same way, at least I hope not.

27 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Him and his family have pushed the health narrative pretty hard. Feel like Texas mismanaged his knee injury and recover, and that he is still dealing issues based on Texas negligence. 

Meme Cockroach GIF by MOODMAN

Mike Roach:  Texas commit Jaydon Blue focused on recruiting others to join him

Spoiler

Texas commit Jaydon Blue focused on recruiting others to join him

MikeRoach

BULLHEAD CITY, Ariz. — Jaydon Blue has been one of the leaders of the Texas class so far.

The four-star running back from Klein (Texas) Cain is focused on recruiting others to join him at Texas. Blue is especially focused on linemen to open holes for him up front.

"I've been texting a few of them," Blue said. "I'm trying to build the best class in 2022 and I'm trying to get linemen. I'm a running back so that's probably the most important thing for me. I just want to bring everyone with me so we can bring UT back and win a natty in the next few years."

Kam Dewberry and Kelvin Banks are two of the prospects he's been recruiting the hardest. After pulling off a surprise commitment, Blue has been telling them that together they can make a big impact in Austin.

"Nobody knew I was going to commit to Texas," he said. "I want to bring the best linemen in the state or the country. Those are two of the best in our class. I'm just telling them that we can all be successful together in college."

For Blue, Texas was always a big factor. When Steve Sarkisian took over, he felt good enough to go ahead and make a commitment.

"I always had a good relationship with Texas, even when coach Herman was there," he said. "Coach Drayton was probably one of my favorite coaches. Me and him have a good relationship and when coach Herman left and Sark came in, we started talking every day. When I committed, I talked to him during that day. It was a good conversation and I just made my mind up that I wanted to commit and I'm glad to build this thing up."

Brandon Harris was another big factor in his commitment. After being elevated to Director of Recruiting, Blue said that Harris has a bright future ahead of him.

"He's just a good dude," Blue said. "He talks to everyone and knows almost everybody. The way he is, he can probably get a bunch of people to look at Texas or maybe commit, so it's a good thing that he has that role now."

At 5-foot-11.5, 205 pounds, Blue is ranked as the No. 4 running back in the nation and No. 10 overall propsect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hasn't IT been saying Bo Davis has been in constant contact with Abor?

Gerry wrote this two and a half weeks ago:

Texas has work to do on Omari Abor:
According to a source close to the Duncanville DE, Ohio State and Oklahoma are definitely spoken about the most by Abor when asked.

Last week, the 6-foot-4, 240-pounder mentioned having five schools with the best chance to win out. Texas was among them.

The source also relayed that Steve Sarkisian has spoken with DHS head coach Reginald Samples since arriving in Austin. As has Jeff Banks and Bo Davis. According to Samples, the Longhorns need to do one thing, win. Period. He told Sarkisian that Duncanville players like Texas, but they have seen Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State win.

Other than that, they've been pretty pessimistic about our chances.

16 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Him and his family have pushed the health narrative pretty hard. Feel like Texas mismanaged his knee injury and recover, and that he is still dealing issues based on Texas negligence. 

Seems like across sports everyone with an injury wants to blame the medical professionals. I'm sure it's warranted in some cases, but it seems like an easy scapegoat for those frustrated that they never recovered to the point they expected.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

From the IT notes Machinator posted on the FB board:

Spoiler

- Juan Davis is adding muscle. He came in looking like a muscled up WR, now he’s starting to look like a TE. He’s only around 6-2 and some change, though.
- Take it with a grain of salt because it’s early, but they’re liking the way Gunner Helm moves for his size. He’s all of 6-foot-5, with some lower body strength, too.

I'm still hoping we see Ja'Tavion Sanders eventually settle in on the defensive side. If Helm and/or Davis turn out to be real players maybe the coaches end up pushing harder for that. 

For this recruiting class, if the early returns are ok for those guys I don't see a reason to take a TE unless it's an elite prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

From the IT notes Machinator posted on the FB board:

Hide contents

- Juan Davis is adding muscle. He came in looking like a muscled up WR, now he’s starting to look like a TE. He’s only around 6-2 and some change, though.
- Take it with a grain of salt because it’s early, but they’re liking the way Gunner Helm moves for his size. He’s all of 6-foot-5, with some lower body strength, too.

I'm still hoping we see Ja'Tavion Sanders eventually settle in on the defensive side. If Helm and/or Davis turn out to be real players maybe the coaches end up pushing harder for that. 

For this recruiting class, if the early returns are ok for those guys I don't see a reason to take a TE unless it's an elite prospect. 

He was dealing with injury issues for a while, but we hardly hear about Brayden Liebrock.  

The guy was the composite #5 TE in the country.  A top 200 recruit.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting