Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

39 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

They went 1-4 in league play last year, and they’re playing almost exclusively league games in this shortened seasoned. They probably aren’t going to be great.

But people who know what they’re doing know how to evaluate good players on bad teams. The staff will see (or not see) what they need to. Most of this board probably won’t though.

I agree with you and with Mack, but I'll reiterate that evaluating good players on shit teams is tough. It is like trying to figure out which DBs on an Orlando coached defense are NFL draft picks and whether they are early rounders or late rounders.

Just now, Tex-19 said:

So would we rather have Robertson or Hutson (who just visited)? 

I believe we’re looking at Robertson as a C and Hutson as a G/T, so I don’t think it’s an either/or with those two. Hutson is probably more dependent on other G/T targets, but based on what Fud said he may be a take regardless of who else we land. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This. I don't really care either way about his high school season. The only thing a good season will do is keep his ranking high, which doesn't matter for shit. 
Them taking a 2nd qb only depends on whether Thompson or Card transfers. If Thompson wins the battle I expect Card to stick around and we'll only take 1. I'm guessing Ewers is the only 2nd qb that they would take a commitment from in any scenario.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It’s like we haven’t had 4 qbs decommit or transfer in the last 14 months. Does this need explaining every time it comes up, or can you dumb motherfuckers keep up?

Honestly I'm not entirely sure what you're responding to, so I'm going to have to self identify as a dumb motherfucker who can't keep up. 😕

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Any olineman committing would be huge, regardless of ranking, since we spent the last year frantically offering every private school and 6 man OT and couldn’t even reel them in. If I have to watch tape of one more slow, weak, 6’6 225 pound “tackle” my son Laramie block a bunch of small children while standing perfectly straight I am going to kill myself. 

Hopefully Murph shows out.  Living about 5 miles from the school Serra is a small catholic school with like 400 kids in it or something. Strange that is where’ he’s playing He’s only about a mile or 2 from North Torrance who had a nice squad last year. Or Narbonne but I think they got popped for recruiting or some shit. Someone of his caliber is surprising to see play for such a tiny ass school in Gardena of all places. May as well went and played for Inglewood who had a dominant squad 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

Roach

— I mentioned on the board earlier today that 2022 Frisco OL Cole Hutson took a visit to Texas. He and his family have been visiting different schools he's considering on their own over the past few weeks. Hutson's dad told me that they also went to Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Alabama over that time. The family wanted to be proactive and get ahead of the continued dead period to make sure Cole at least saw these places in the event that the dead period was extended. Hutson is ready to resume official visits in the summer and start to cut down his list, but I was told he's not close to a decision at this time. The family enjoyed the trip to Austin and Hutson told me Kyle Flood has been consistent in his contact with them.

— I was able to see quite a few prospects at Duncanville today. The most important prospect I saw was Omari Abor. The elite edge rusher listed Texas among the schools on him the hardest right now with Pete Kwiatkowski, Jeff Banks, Steve Sarkisian and Chris Gilbert all putting a hand in recruiting him. Gilbert is close with Duncanville head coach Reginald Samples and is pitching in with a number of Dallas targets. LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma and Ohio State were the other schools mentioned as standing out for Abor at the moment. I was also told that Texas A&M is making a pretty strong push. Abor doesn't seem to be in any hurry and he said that Texas is one of the schools that will get an official visit from him.

— On that subject, I talked with a few sources near the Duncanville program today since this particular topic has been a fad on the board.  There is not and there hasn't been a concerted effort by that staff to stop kids from going to Texas.  The Longhorns lost out on Savion Byrd because Herb Hand dropped communication with him and the Texas staff was thought to be on shaky ground going forward.  As I mentioned above, Chris Gilbert communicates with Reginald Samples often while Jeff Banks and Blake Gideon have been well received.  As one source at the school told me today, "We don't have an agenda here.  If you develop a relationship with our kids and recruit them hard, you can win them."

• Hook 'Em 3

SIAP

Mike Roach:  Texas commit Evan Stewart working to be the best

Spoiler

Texas commit Evan Stewart working to be the best

MikeRoach

Evan Stewart has been on a mission this spring.

The four-star wide receiver from Frisco (Texas) Liberty has certain goals in mind for his career, and he’s been going to work to make sure he can accomplish those goals.

“I just want to be the best wide receiver I can be,” he said. “I want to be the greatest of all time of course. I’m just striving to live out a dream. I’m working on the top of the route and my release work. I want to get better at both of those.”

Stewart committed to Texas a few weeks ago signifying an early win for the Longhorns. He’s been growing his relationship with the Texas staff and the presence of Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris has been huge for him.

“I’ve grown in relationships with plenty of the staff members,” he said. “Especially B. Harris. I’ve been talking to him a lot lately.”

Harris has seen his profile as a recruiter rise lately. Stewart said that his relatable nature is what makes him such a good recruiter.

“He really reminds me of coach Jay (Valai),” he said. “I really like B. Harris. He knows how to recruit, and he knows how to talk to the younger audience. It’s not really a pitch. I’m not the type that always wants to talk about football. He asks about family and how I am. How is school going, grades and stuff like that.”

The Texas commits are busy recruiting others to join them. Stewart already got a win helping the Longhorns to reel in his 7v7 teammate Bryan Allen.

“The one I was really working on was Bryan (Allen) and we got him,” Stewart said. “That was my assignment in the class, and I did my assignment.”

The Texas commits are all coming together and forming a close bond. Stewarts aid they keep in contact regularly with each other and the coaches.

“We’re all cool,” he said. “We are all in a little group chat with Sark and we are also in a group chat without Sark, so we are all cool.”

After committing to Texas, the attention around Stewart died down. Following his first track meet of the year, a few schools called back to see if they could get in the mix.

“After my track meet last week it got a little bit more riled up again, but it’s calmed down a little bit,” he said.

Stewart is firmly committed to Texas, but he never got the opportunity to take visits last spring. If visits do return, he wants to see a few campuses.

“I’m different because I haven’t been anywhere,” he said. “I’m going to make sure I visit Texas first. They are always going to be first, but I think I want to see like two campuses maybe.”

At 6-feet, 175 pounds, Stewart is ranked as the No. 5 wide receiver in the nation and No. 8 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m working on a theory, solely to make me feel better in the long term. Herb Hand was great for Texas because I can compare any future position coach to him and they will look absolutely incredible in comparison. Thanks Herbie, you bumbling backyard bbq bitch

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Stewart is firmly committed to Texas, but he never got the opportunity to take visits last spring. If visits do return, he wants to see a few campuses.

“I’m different because I haven’t been anywhere,” he said. “I’m going to make sure I visit Texas first. They are always going to be first, but I think I want to see like two campuses maybe.”

Clearly my man wants to visit the famed Colonial Williamsburg and doesn't have a good reason to be in the area other than to check out William & Mary. While the campus may lack social events, attractive women, and a functioning football program, it makes up for that by having a virtual cornucopia of old white men in period-appropriate garb. Every 18 y/o's college dream. 

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I’m working on a theory, solely to make me feel better in the long term. Herb Hand was great for Texas because I can compare any future position coach to him and they will look absolutely incredible in comparison. Thanks Herbie, you bumbling backyard bbq bitch

Unfortunately the poopy pants that preceded him already served that purpose. Herman really didn't know how to hire O-line coaches. 

5 minutes ago, JackBurton said:

Clearly my man wants to visit the famed Colonial Williamsburg and doesn't have a good reason to be in the area other than to check out William & Mary. While the campus may lack social events, attractive women, and a functioning football program, it makes up for that by having a virtual cornucopia of old white men in period-appropriate garb. Every 18 y/o's college dream. 

Excuse me the W&M campus has all three.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Excuse me the W&M campus has all three.

Agree to disagree on at least first two, albeit I guess the football team does technically function - despite playing like shit in the CAA for half a decade at this point. I honestly hadn't realized the team went 5-7 in the last full season despite getting stomped by JMU again at homecoming. I'm simply impressed that W&M even offered Evan Stewart to begin with more than anything else. 

— On that subject, I talked with a few sources near the Duncanville program today since this particular topic has been a fad on the board.  There is not and there hasn't been a concerted effort by that staff to stop kids from going to Texas.  The Longhorns lost out on Savion Byrd because Herb Hand dropped communication with him and the Texas staff was thought to be on shaky ground going forward.  As I mentioned above, Chris Gilbert communicates with Reginald Samples often while Jeff Banks and Blake Gideon have been well received.  As one source at the school told me today, "We don't have an agenda here.  If you develop a relationship with our kids and recruit them hard, you can win them."

Amid all the rumors, I called Duncanville today and asked to speak with Mr. Duncan. I told the student on the phone that I was a reporter for a pay site that I can’t remember the name of and that I needed to speak to Mr. Duncan immediately about the rumors (first reported by our very own washed up former respected newspaper writer) that the Duncanville coaching staff was steering players away from UT. She said she had to ask Ms. Johnson so we’ll have to wait a little while to get to the bottom of this one. 

- Roach out 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Holy shit. This series of posts brings up the bodies on the OL coaching side of things, and they are fucking ripe. UT has basically been cursed on this front for the vast majority of my life and most of all of those on this board. 

Clovis Hale (RIP) - generally incompetent

Tim Nunez - probably the worst of all of them. He didn’t recruit, he couldn’t evaluate, and he had no idea what he was doing with his unit. Mack Brown actually did end up firing this guy when he got tired of defending him. 

Mac McWhorter - the architect of the greatest phantom OL in history (2009), this motherfucker took sloth to an art form. His recruiting technique of evaluating no one and signing only players in the Austin MSA west of I-35 completed the Nunez-led villainous strategy of largely destroying our offensive line unit for the better part of 2 decades. 

Bob Wickline - finally a proven OL coach who would turn things around! LOL. I don’t know what in the fuck happened here except overwhelmed and stupid were trademarks of the Chucklefuck Era, so let’s just assume this guy lathered himself up in both traits, combo’d those problems with a penchant for being a piece of shit to his unit and an angry recruiter who identified with basically no one but JP Urquidez’s father and we wound up with a further descent into OL unit ineptitude. 

Derek Warehime - a meatheaded clown with the only justification for getting hired was that he was bros with meatheaded Fuckface, his only positive contribution to the UT program is the aforementioned hogger grumpy that he dropped in Walker Little’s mother’s private washroom. They live down the street from in Bellaire and they’ve attempted everything from a thorough repaint to a black mold-like drywall teardown and rebuild, to no avail. 

Herb Hand - a frequent object of disdain from the recruiting board, for good reason, his OL unit actually improved in year 1 versus the greasefire that Warehime had reduced the unit to in a single year. A brief, small blip of faint hope preceding a continued trajectory into the inexplicable abyss of prolonged but consistent failure of a single unit for many years via many coaches. 

The dude with Mackovic was good and Stacy Searels gets a pass. How the 2004-2005 units overcame the yoke of ineptitude can only be explained by the nasty disposition of the Studdard/Blalock/Sendlein led unit itself. 

Fuck me. Fuck you. Fuck them. Kyle Flood better have a great fucking strategy and even better black magic to break this fucking curse, obviously cast on our program by the ghost of Antwan Kirk Hughes. 

*Joe Wickline

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s what you reap from that diatribe?

Joe, Bob, Tom, Bill - these are names of people that should probably never be trusted. 

You mean other than the overwhelming sadness? 

listen, that fuckfaces work completely supports an effort to rename him, he certainly didn’t earn his own while here. We can stick with bob. How about Fart Wickline? Or Goeb. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Add Herb to the list too. Who the fuck names their kid Herb?

This is a good point. It’s one of those names where I do actually pause and I ask myself that question. 

It’s mean to even think, but I run into names like that with younger people and can’t figure it out. I’ve named my kids some interesting stuff, but still feel comfortable privately mocking the Herbs, Donalds, Ronalds, Wilburs and Willards when I have met them. These are people born into households of hatred. At least let the fucking kid have a nickname. Christ. 

Actually, is Herb a nickname for Herbert? Good lord. Big Great Depression fans out there, I guess. My understanding is that Herb Hand’s brother’s first name is allegedly Adolf. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

This is a good point. It’s one of those names where I do actually pause and I ask myself that question. 

It’s mean to even think, but I run into names like that with younger people and can’t figure it out. I’ve named my kids some interesting stuff, but still feel comfortable privately mocking the Herbs, Donalds, Ronalds, Wilburs and Willards when I have met them. These are people born into households of hatred. At least let the fucking kid have a nickname. Christ. 

Actually, is Herb a nickname for Herbert? Good lord. Big Great Depression fans out there, I guess. My understanding is that Herb Hand’s brother’s first name is allegedly Adolf. 

I once dated a girl that was dead-set on naming her first son Eugene. It actually became a real issue.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I once dated a girl that was dead-set on naming her first son Eugene. It actually became a real issue.

Are you married? No? Sounds like it actually wasn’t that big of an issue. 

You made the right choice 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Add Herb to the list too. Who the fuck names their kid Herb?

Actually had this conversation with a friend this weekend regarding last names. There was a dude playing college basketball with the last name of Cockburn. I thought that someone in that family has to be brave enough to legally change that last name, family history/pride be damned. You've got to give the kids a chance to grow up without the constant mockery. NBA player Rudy Gay was mentioned (nttawwt) as was our assistant Glascock. Do it for the kids

Edited by LarTXHorn
English

1 minute ago, LarTXHorn said:

Actually had this conversation with a friend this weekend regarding last names. There was a dude playing college basketball with the last name of Cockburn. I thought that someone on that family has to be brave enough to legally change that last name, family history/pride be damned. You gotta give the kids a chance to grow up without the constant mockery. NBA players Rudy Gay was mentioned (nttawwt) as was our assistant Glascock. Do it for the kids

Funny you mention Cockburn. We were talking about Olivia Wilde last week on the golf course. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LarTXHorn said:

Actually had this conversation with a friend this weekend regarding last names. There was a dude playing college basketball with the last name of Cockburn. I thought that someone in that family has to be brave enough to legally change that last name, family history/pride be damned. You've got to give the kids a chance to grow up without the constant mockery. NBA player Rudy Gay was mentioned (nttawwt) as was our assistant Glascock. Do it for the kids

If a Cockburn goes into an industry with a lot of media scrutiny they can always change it...

ab8659e388710e37a3578492f40e302f.jpg

8 minutes ago, LarTXHorn said:

I worked with a guy named Richard Harding. Why would you do that to your child?

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting