Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

This guy is so underrated and I don’t get it.  Is it because of height or some thought he won’t get big enough to play college LB?  I don’t really buy either of those.  He’s both better and more twitchy than his teammate Blackwell, who is also good and was a 4 star in the grade a year above Johnson.   How does that translate to Johnson being ranked 75-80 in the Texas top 100 and a mid 3 star?

Winning MVP probably gets him that 4th star

STEVE WILTFONG:  Several schools in place for Top247 WR Evan Stewart following decommitment from Texas

Spoiler

Several schools in place for Top247 WR Evan Stewart following decommitment from Texas
STEVE WILTFONG

ARLINGTON, Texas - Frisco (Texas) Liberty Top247 2022 receiver Evan Stewart reopened the recruiting process this past week, walking back a verbal to Texas he had for nearly a month.

"I just want to see everything," Stewart said following Sunday's Under Armour All-American Camp held outside Dallas. "I mean Texas has been the only real university I've seen."

And that was for a track meet, he's never really seen what the Longhorns really offer. With that, after going into what he said was "deeper thought," Stewart realized he wants to literally take in these schools, learn more about programs recruiting him, build on the connections he has with coaching staffs in trying to find where he'll truly attend college.

The No. 5 receiver in the Top247 and No. 37 prospect regardless of position knows what he's looking for. Now it's up to these schools to show him their environment is the one that gives him these things.

"Title contenders," he said regarding his checklist. "I want them to progress me. I want to be the best player I can be and get the best education I can get."

There are six schools in the mix as the Under Armour All-American continues through his process.

“Definitely Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida and Texas A&M," Stewart said. He admitted before committing to the Longhorns he actually almost pulled the trigger for Georgia.

"I have a good with Coach (Cortez) Hank(ton), he's a young coach, he knows what he's doing," he said of the Bulldogs.

Stewart spoke on the others as well.

"Texas I love Sark, I love the offense, just got to see what it's going to do. Bama, Coach Jay (Valai) that's my dude, that’s probably one of my favorite coaches recruiting me. I have a tight bond with him. LSU I've always liked LSU, they’ve always been a top school for me plus Garrett Nussmeier is up there, that was my 7on7 quarterback last year and I like the way me and Nuss connect. A&M they have a couple of my friends up there, good teammates from Flex, I like them a lot, they’re in the SEC and they’re title contenders. Florida they got my 7-on-7 quarterback Nick Evers he is my guy, that's always plus. They’re title contenders too and I really like the area out there."

Stewart is ready to hit the road and take visits once the NCAA Dead Period lifts in result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

"Of course I want to get up to Texas and Texas A&M, hit in-state first and out-of-state second."

There aren't many more dynamic players in the country than Stewart who as a junior averaged over 20 yards per catch in gaining 906 yards on 44 receptions and scoring eight touchdowns. While Stewart is one of the fastest players in the country (and best deep threats), boasting (a pre-Covid 19 pandemic) 10.7 speed in the 100m dash, he is also one of the more explosive athletes (24-6 long jump) and equally elusive players when carrying the football, showing ability to smoothly separate running routes also allowing him to be a factor in the red zone.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG:  Several schools in place for Top247 WR Evan Stewart following decommitment from Texas

Reveal hidden contents

Several schools in place for Top247 WR Evan Stewart following decommitment from Texas
STEVE WILTFONG

ARLINGTON, Texas - Frisco (Texas) Liberty Top247 2022 receiver Evan Stewart reopened the recruiting process this past week, walking back a verbal to Texas he had for nearly a month.

"I just want to see everything," Stewart said following Sunday's Under Armour All-American Camp held outside Dallas. "I mean Texas has been the only real university I've seen."

And that was for a track meet, he's never really seen what the Longhorns really offer. With that, after going into what he said was "deeper thought," Stewart realized he wants to literally take in these schools, learn more about programs recruiting him, build on the connections he has with coaching staffs in trying to find where he'll truly attend college.

The No. 5 receiver in the Top247 and No. 37 prospect regardless of position knows what he's looking for. Now it's up to these schools to show him their environment is the one that gives him these things.

"Title contenders," he said regarding his checklist. "I want them to progress me. I want to be the best player I can be and get the best education I can get."

There are six schools in the mix as the Under Armour All-American continues through his process.

“Definitely Texas, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Florida and Texas A&M," Stewart said. He admitted before committing to the Longhorns he actually almost pulled the trigger for Georgia.

"I have a good with Coach (Cortez) Hank(ton), he's a young coach, he knows what he's doing," he said of the Bulldogs.

"Texas I love Sark, I love the offense, just got to see what it's going to do. Bama, Coach Jay (Valai) that's my dude, that’s probably one of my favorite coaches recruiting me. I have a tight bond with him. LSU I've always liked LSU, they’ve always been a top school for me plus Garrett Nussmeier is up there, that was my 7on7 quarterback last year and I like the way me and Nuss connect. A&M they have a couple of my friends up there, good teammates from Flex, I like them a lot, they’re in the SEC and they’re title contenders. Florida they got my 7-on-7 quarterback Nick Evers he is my guy, that's always plus. They’re title contenders too and I really like the area out there."

Stewart is ready to hit the road and take visits once the NCAA Dead Period lifts in result of the Covid-19 pandemic.

"Of course I want to get up to Texas and Texas A&M, hit in-state first and out-of-state second."

There aren't many more dynamic players in the country than Stewart who as a junior averaged over 20 yards per catch in gaining 906 yards on 44 receptions and scoring eight touchdowns. While Stewart is one of the fastest players in the country (and best deep threats), boasting (a pre-Covid 19 pandemic) 10.7 speed in the 100m dash, he is also one of the more explosive athletes (24-6 long jump) and equally elusive players when carrying the football, showing ability to smoothly separate running routes also allowing him to be a factor in the red zone.

I think the kid really does like Texas and Sark's offense, and probably ends up back here if we don't lay an egg.  Should have never committed though if this was his plan all along.  This seems like it may be a bit of a wild ride recruitment, and I wouldn't be surprised to see crystal ball picks rolling in to whichever school he visits shortly after each visit.

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Reveal hidden contents

STEVE WILTFONG

Aggy suddenly in the picture and almost committed to UGA before. I think we know what's driving this decision

(Mike Roach) Recruiting tidbits from UA Dallas camp

Spoiler

ARLINGTON, Texas — Under Armour held the first major camp in the state of Texas since COVID-19 forced a statewide shut down a year ago. Many of the best from Texas were joined on the field by others from Louisiana, Arkansas and Oklahoma. Horns247 was on the scene and gathered a ton of recruiting info. The bulk of it will come out in tomorrow's edition of The Stampede, but here's an appetizer.

—Texas is still a school under heavy consideration for Evan Stewart. I spoke briefly with him today and he said that he really just wants to approach visits with an open mind, but the Longhorns will be a school always near the top for him. He spoke with Andre Coleman this morning and keeps in frequent contact with Brandon Harris.

—Speaking of that, I’d anticipate more decommitments nationwide if visits become available this summer. A bunch of kids are talking about wanting to take trips, and I don’t think the Texas class has seen the end of its attrition yet. This is just going to be another condition of COVID-19 schools are going to have to contend with.

—I didn’t speak with him at length, but Texas is still swinging away at Bear Alexander. The four-star prospect said that his father speaks often with Bo Davis. Alexander committed to Georgia on National Signing Day, but Texas is going to recruit him until the very end.

—Texas is on the mind of Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek offensive tackle Jacob Sexton. He keeps in steady contact with Kyle Flood and the Texas staff and plans to visit Austin as soon as he can. Oklahoma seems to have the in-state edge, but Sexton grew up in Texas a fan of the Longhorns.

—Bryan Allen said the way Texas recruited him was more in-depth than any other program he dealt with. That was a big reason he chose to make a commitment early. The four-star safety said he’s working hardest on Bryce Anderson and Denver Harris at the moment.

—Devon Campbell had a strong day on the field. The five-star offensive lineman said that Texas, LSU and Texas A&M are the three programs recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Texas has been in a constant in this race since the beginning and remains a school throwing every resource they can at him.

—I think Texas is making a move with Texarkana (Texas) Texas High defensive end Derrick Brown. I mentioned last week that the Longhorns had a really impressive presentation with him and he’s fond of Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate. Oklahoma was overwhelmingly the favorite starting out but Texas and Texas A&M are making up a lot of ground.

—I’m starting to feel a little more bullish on the chances of Texas landing Humble (Texas) Summer Creek OL Kelvin Banks. The big man just recently released his Top 8, and it seems like the top group emerging there is Texas, Texas A&M, LSU and Oklahoma. I like the way Texas is trending but there’s still a ways to go.

—I also like where Texas is currently trending with Frisco OL Cole Hutson. He recently visited and speaks glowingly of Texas and Kyle Flood. He also loved the improvements to DKR and marveled about seeing himself on that big screen. Education could be the difference maker here as Hutson is serious about finding a business school.

—Carthage (Texas) linebacker Kip Lewis seems to be leaning toward Oklahoma early, but he’s making it clear that he’s taking his time. Lewis is planning to take a self-guided visit to Austin this week and has been talking with Jeff Choate often.

—Texas seems to be a serious contender in the picture for Saint James (LA) St. James wide receiver Shazz Preston. The Longhorns have some Louisiana influence with Terry Joseph, Brandon Harris, and analyst Cordae Hankton on staff. Preston said he loves the relationship he’s building with the staff and wants to see Texas this summer.

—Terrance Brooks was probably the best defensive player we saw on the field today. He has a ton of schools after him at the moment, but Texas remains in high regard because of the existing relationship he had with Terry Joseph at Notre Dame. I expect the race for Brooks to really heat up as he appears to be developing into one of the best corners in the country.

—North Shore DL Kristopher Ross is locked in for his decision March 23, but he still sounds a little unclear of where he wants to end up. Despite Texas having the perceived lead, there’s been some change in his tone since he pushed the commitment back. Oklahoma is one to watch in this race the longer it goes.

—2022 Allen OL Neto Umeozulu won OL MVP on the day. He called out the Longhorns as one of the schools recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Umeozulu is another high academic kid who is interested in business school, and McCombs is a big part of the pitch for him.

—Ernest Cooper keeps a low profile, but Texas is in a sneaky position for the Arlington Martin defensive lineman. Stanford is still top of mind and Texas A&M is in the picture, but Texas could win out if they push hard. Cooper is serious about his education and wants to one day pursue medical school.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 1

A bunch of kids are talking about wanting to take trips, and I don’t think the Texas class has seen the end of its attrition yet.

Curious who we think Roach may be alluding to?  Winfield, Allen, and Johnson were our commits at this event.  Was talk of Guilbeau a while back.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

14 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

A bunch of kids are talking about wanting to take trips, and I don’t think the Texas class has seen the end of its attrition yet.

Curious who we think Roach may be alluding to?  Winfield, Allen, and Johnson were our commits at this event.  Was talk of Guilbeau a while back.

Either Winfield or Guilbeau. Really hoping it’s not Winfield. Like his game a lot

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) Recruiting tidbits from UA Dallas camp

Hide contents

—Devon Campbell had a strong day on the field. The five-star offensive lineman said that Texas, LSU and Texas A&M are the three programs recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Texas has been in a constant in this race since the beginning and remains a school throwing every resource they can at him.

Every resource?

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Winfield is currently solid but have to think he's the most likely of those three, yeah? Him committing at halftime of the natty smacks of a bit of a snap decision...hopefully we don't give him a reason to look around. Official visits are going to be a rollercoaster this summer.

I wouldn’t read too much into that Roach statement about attrition not being done in the class. As usual, he’s covering all his basis and he could be referring to future commits opening up their recruitments in the fall when they start to visit schools for games. Don’t think he was referring to any single player currently in the class.

Nick Harris:  Evaluation notes from Sunday's Under Armour All-American Camp in Arlington

Spoiler

Evaluation notes from Sunday's Under Armour All-American Camp in Arlington

Nick Harris

ARLINGTON, Texas — Many of the region's best 2022, 2023 and 2024 prospects made their way to Martin High School on Sunday to compete in one of the most prestigious camp circuits in the country, the Under Armour All-American Camp.

First up were the offensive linemen and defensive linemen, and Arlington (Texas) Bowie five-star guard Devon Campbell stood out early in a fun matchup against Denton (Texas) Ryan four-star defensive tackle Bear Alexander. Campbell and Alexander split each of their two reps against each other, but it's tough to find a "loser" when a matchup like that is presented. Here is video of the first rep where Campbell showed elite footwork and strong hands against one of the best defensive linemen in the country:

Also on the offensive line, Frisco (Texas) four-star guard Cole Hutson looked the part and played like it in limited one-on-one reps as he has quietly been one of the most recruited offensive linemen in the state. Humble (Texas) Summer Creek five-star offensive tackle Kelvin Banks had trouble reading the snap in each of his two reps in one-on-ones, but a source says that he tested "better than just about any offensive lineman there." Official testing times from Under Armour were not made available. Allen (Texas) offensive guard Neto Umeozulu was another impressive highly-touted prospect in action. In looking at some risers, Austin (Texas) Akins offensive tackle Nikolas Hall came into the camp with some intriguing film and backed it up with solid day.

On the defensive line, Katy (Texas) Morton Ranch 2023 defensive end DJ Hicks turned a lot of heads when he threw an offensive lineman into the ground which sparked the first big energy in the one-on-one setting. I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of Arlington (Texas) Martin four-star defensive end Ernest Cooper Jr. in one-on-ones as he used his tall, thin frame to maneuver around some solid competition. Galena Park (Texas) North Shore defensive tackle Kristopher Ross was in the building as he used his solidly built lower frame to drive offensive linemen back into the pocket. Texarkana (Texas) Texas High defensive end Derrick Brown uses his length really well and showed some encouraging burst off the edge. With defensive tackle prospects scarce in the state of Texas, look for Owasso (Okla.) defensive tackle Chris McClellan to pick up some attention as the spring goes on. Lewisville (Texas) 2023 defensive end Jordan Renaud also caught the eyes of evaluators today in reps against 2022 prospects.

In the linebacker-running back session, a pair of 2022 linebacker prospects stood out: Carthage's Kip Lewis and Texas commit Arlington (Texas) Martin linebacker Trevell Johnson, who won the linebacker MVP. Lewis uses his freakish size to his advantage while not losing any mobility in coverage. His film shows some intriguing ability and he showed off that same product against some of the best competition in the state. For Johnson, he didn't lose one rep all afternoon. His mobility in coverage is unmatched to the point where even if he does lose a step on a running back breaking, he can make up the lost ground in such a tight window that it doesn't matter. Denton (Texas) Ryan four-star 2023 linebacker is every bit of advertised, but his ability as a coverage linebacker is limited at this point, which is not a bad thing considering his pass rush ability with pads on.

For the running backs, Waco (Texas) Connally's Tre Wisner had arguably the best day of any 2023 prospect. He showed some real explosiveness in and out of breaks as he is starting to put himself in the conversation with Rueben Owens as the top 2023 in-state running back.

However, the quarterback-wide receiver-defensive back session stole the show at the end as some of the best athletes competed under the sun after rain drizzled for most of the morning and early afternoon.

Florida commit Nick Evers won the quarterback MVP as he was spinning it all afternoon. Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus 2024 quarterback Cole Welliver continues to impress just about any analyst or evaluator you could talk to. His size and ball placement are both elite traits that he possesses at his age.

Texas commit Armani Winfield posted a 40-yard dash time in testing that multiple sources have indicated may be one of the fastest in Under Armour Camp history. One source said it is "in the laser 4.3 range" (official times were not immediately available). Frisco (Texas) Liberty four-star speedster Evan Stewart's day can best be described as typical Evan Stewart. He turned heads with his speed and came out of breaks with purpose. New Orleans (La.) Edna Karr four-star LSU commit Aaron Anderson was absolutely dominant on his way to winning the wide receiver MVP. One catch he made over the top of a defender on a poorly thrown ball near the sideline stuck out as one of the best grabs I saw all day. We've talked quite a bit on Horns247 about how deep the in-state crop of wide receivers in 2023 is, and I'm starting to formulate the opinion that DeSoto (Texas) slot speedster Johntay Cook is the best of them all. He doesn't typically pull off the circus catch that makes everyone turn their head, but he does all of the little things well and will make a tough grab when he needs to. His speed and breaks out of his routes are unmatched in the state of Texas. North Richland Hills (Texas) 2023 wide receiver Ashton Cozart lost a few early reps and rebounded with a strong finish against stiff competition. Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy 2023 wide receiver Jaxson Lavender is another name starting to emerge in the consistently developing 2023 in-state receiver group.

A solid handful of cornerbacks impressed me today as well, but none more than Plano (Texas) John Paul II 2022 four-star Terrance Brooks. It's hard to find a rep today that Brooks ran that wasn't exceptional as he saw mutliple matchups with Ashton Cozart and Evan Stewart among others. He covers a ton of ground and adjusts to the ball better than just about any cornerback I saw today. The camp MVP for the defensive backs went to Beaumont (Texas) United cornerback Chandler Rivers, and it was more than deserved. He stepped in front of multiple well-thrown passes for interceptions and made life difficult for receivers despite his roughly 5-foot-10 height. Arlington (Texas) Martin 2023 cornerback Javien Toviano is a certified baller and today he just further proved it. He has a built frame and carries it really well for the position. His coverage skills, which are already at an elite level for his age, continue to improve. A pair of DeSoto (Texas) defensive backs also shined this afternoon as 2023 cornerback Caimon Mathis and 2022 safety Devyn Bobby had strong performances.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

In the comments of the article, Roach alluded to it being someone who wasn't at the event and that they are just murmurs at this time.

We can hear buzz about guys at events who aren’t necessarily there.

Guys, quit playing clue. The comment was based on buzz but nothing in particular. I’m not going to give names because right now I don’t believe these folks are serious. It’s also a general comment because we heard a bunch of kids (not just those committed to Texas) talking about it.

38 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

In the comments of the article, Roach alluded to it being someone who wasn't at the event and that they are just murmurs at this time.

We can hear buzz about guys at events who aren’t necessarily there.

Guys, quit playing clue. The comment was based on buzz but nothing in particular. I’m not going to give names because right now I don’t believe these folks are serious. It’s also a general comment because we heard a bunch of kids (not just those committed to Texas) talking about it.

So Blue or Murphy...hope his ear isn’t that close to the streets on this one

STEVE WILTFONG: Inside five-star OL Devon Campbell's top schools

Spoiler

Inside five-star OL Devon Campbell's top schools
STEVE WILTFONG

ARLINGTON, Texas - Not long after showing a nasty streak on the field at the Under Armour All-American Camp Series stop in Dallas, the 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 ranked offensive guard Devon Campbell politely took questions about his future.

College programs covet the five-star for both sides of Campbell, the enforcer at the point of attack yet the mature young man he is away from the gridiron.

“You know what’s funny about it, off the field he’s as humble and serene and calm as I don’t know what,” his uncle, who Devon happened to be named after, explained. “We always talk about football players having that switch. He has that freaking switch man. And I love it.”

A couple defensive linemen felt that switch during 1-on-1s on Sunday with him knocking guys off balance with his combination of power and explosiveness.

“When he gets on the field, he’s a beast,” his uncle continued. “When he crosses those lines, he loves to compete.”

Tabbed as the nation’s No. 7 prospect regardless of position several schools are competing for his signature and the Arlington (Texas) Bowie standout recently narrowed his list of offers to USC, Texas, Florida State, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Houston and LSU. He maintains no leaders among that group. A few of those schools certainly aren’t lacking effort in calling.

“UT for sure, LSU for sure, we’ve been Zooming the last two weeks,” the elder Campbell said. He also coaches the defensive backs at Bowie during the fall. “We had a Zoom with LSU, a Zoom with OU, a Zoom call with USC, we have had so many of them because he has his top eight. UT calls a bunch, Coach (Chris) Gilbert, Coach (Jeff) Banks, Coach (Steve) Sark(asian) and Coach Flood. They send a message every morning.”

LSU is also coming at the same pace.

The younger Campbell is taking it all in as he searches for the best combination of what he’s looking for.

“Producing on and off the field, player development and getting me to the next level,” Campbell said.

At this point he’s only been on the Texas campus.

“It’s close to home and just their tradition,” he said of what stands out. “The new staff is cool. I like how they try and stay on me and contact me and try to stay in constant contact.”

Campbell talked about his other favorites as well.

Regarding LSU: “I constantly talk to Coach (James) Cregg and Coach (Ed) O(rgeron). Just their tradition, a championship mindset, physicality all the time.”

Regarding the Sooners: “Coach (Bill) B(edenbaugh) he constantly stays on me, consistently hitting me every day and letting me know I’m a high priority to the school. The way they produce their linemen.”

Regarding Alabama: “I like the tradition of winning, constantly winning, a championship school.”

Regarding Florida State: Coach (Alex) Atkins from FSU, I have a good relationship with him as well. From Coach Atkins is telling me they’re going to be a great program and they’re going to go far.

Regarding USC: “Cali vibes and it’s somewhere different. Experiencing something new every day.”

Regarding Houston: “Coach (Brandon) Jones me and him have a really good relationship.”

Regarding Texas A&M: Me and Coach (Josh) Henson he’s a good coach. Really technical about everything. The trajectory of the program is great. If I was to go there I think I’d fit in pretty good.”

Campbell has a personality to fit in anywhere.

“People are always asking him where are you going to go, where are you going to go,” his uncle said. “We definitely want to get him on this summer tour, drive him down to LSU, drive him down to (Alabama), drive him to UT, drive him down to A&M and kind of hang out with the guys and start to get the vibe going.

“We want to get out to Cali and Florida and definitely go see LSU. They got the new locker room and all that. We want to get to Cali and Florida of sure, just to get out there and vibe out there. If he does choose to go to one of those schools, my nephew is going to be in another state for the next five years. We want to make sure DJ gets to know those guys.”

The elder Campbell thinks this process will go till the Early Signing Period.

“His dad isn’t going to let him make a decision till then.”

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG: Inside five-star OL Devon Campbell's top schools

Hide contents

Inside five-star OL Devon Campbell's top schools
STEVE WILTFONG

ARLINGTON, Texas - Not long after showing a nasty streak on the field at the Under Armour All-American Camp Series stop in Dallas, the 247Sports Composite’s No. 1 ranked offensive guard Devon Campbell politely took questions about his future.

College programs covet the five-star for both sides of Campbell, the enforcer at the point of attack yet the mature young man he is away from the gridiron.

“You know what’s funny about it, off the field he’s as humble and serene and calm as I don’t know what,” his uncle, who Devon happened to be named after, explained. “We always talk about football players having that switch. He has that freaking switch man. And I love it.”

A couple defensive linemen felt that switch during 1-on-1s on Sunday with him knocking guys off balance with his combination of power and explosiveness.

“When he gets on the field, he’s a beast,” his uncle continued. “When he crosses those lines, he loves to compete.”

Tabbed as the nation’s No. 7 prospect regardless of position several schools are competing for his signature and the Arlington (Texas) Bowie standout recently narrowed his list of offers to USC, Texas, Florida State, Alabama, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Houston and LSU. He maintains no leaders among that group. A few of those schools certainly aren’t lacking effort in calling.

“UT for sure, LSU for sure, we’ve been Zooming the last two weeks,” the elder Campbell said. He also coaches the defensive backs at Bowie during the fall. “We had a Zoom with LSU, a Zoom with OU, a Zoom call with USC, we have had so many of them because he has his top eight. UT calls a bunch, Coach (Chris) Gilbert, Coach (Jeff) Banks, Coach (Steve) Sark(asian) and Coach Flood. They send a message every morning.”

LSU is also coming at the same pace.

The younger Campbell is taking it all in as he searches for the best combination of what he’s looking for.

“Producing on and off the field, player development and getting me to the next level,” Campbell said.

At this point he’s only been on the Texas campus.

“It’s close to home and just their tradition,” he said of what stands out. “The new staff is cool. I like how they try and stay on me and contact me and try to stay in constant contact.”

Campbell talked about his other favorites as well.

Regarding LSU: “I constantly talk to Coach (James) Cregg and Coach (Ed) O(rgeron). Just their tradition, a championship mindset, physicality all the time.”

Regarding the Sooners: “Coach (Bill) B(edenbaugh) he constantly stays on me, consistently hitting me every day and letting me know I’m a high priority to the school. The way they produce their linemen.”

Regarding Alabama: “I like the tradition of winning, constantly winning, a championship school.”

Regarding Florida State: Coach (Alex) Atkins from FSU, I have a good relationship with him as well. From Coach Atkins is telling me they’re going to be a great program and they’re going to go far.

Regarding USC: “Cali vibes and it’s somewhere different. Experiencing something new every day.”

Regarding Houston: “Coach (Brandon) Jones me and him have a really good relationship.”

Regarding Texas A&M: Me and Coach (Josh) Henson he’s a good coach. Really technical about everything. The trajectory of the program is great. If I was to go there I think I’d fit in pretty good.”

Campbell has a personality to fit in anywhere.

“People are always asking him where are you going to go, where are you going to go,” his uncle said. “We definitely want to get him on this summer tour, drive him down to LSU, drive him down to (Alabama), drive him to UT, drive him down to A&M and kind of hang out with the guys and start to get the vibe going.

“We want to get out to Cali and Florida and definitely go see LSU. They got the new locker room and all that. We want to get to Cali and Florida of sure, just to get out there and vibe out there. If he does choose to go to one of those schools, my nephew is going to be in another state for the next five years. We want to make sure DJ gets to know those guys.”

The elder Campbell thinks this process will go till the Early Signing Period.

“His dad isn’t going to let him make a decision till then.”

There’s always an uncle...

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting