Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

43 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach:  Longhorns top of mind for Louisiana wide receiver Shazz Preston

Reveal hidden contents

Longhorns top of mind for Louisiana wide receiver Shazz Preston

Mike Roach

ARLINGTON, Texas — Shazz Preston has some of the most impressive tape of any receiver in the country. The four-star prospect from Saint James (La.) High School holds nearly 20 offers, and the Longhorns are one of the schools in the mix for him. Preston and Andre Coleman have been building a relationship for a while, and that has the Longhorns high on his list.

“They stand really high,” he said. “Coach Coleman and the rest of the coaching staff keep on me and keep up with me and check in on a daily basis. They just check on me throughout the offseason and keep in contact to keep a close relationship.”

Coleman has the reputation as a direct and honest coach. Preston said that the genuine nature Coleman communicates with is enticing to him.

“He’s a pretty straightforward dude,” he said. “He always keeps it a stack with me. He’s really straightforward. He’s just a straight dude. He’s the kind of guy you want around especially during these times just so they will keep it real with you.”

Steve Sarkisian is also involved in this recruitment. The Texas head coach is running a college football empire, but he still finds time to reach out and communicate with Preston.

“Any time that he gets to hit up recruits he reaches out to ask how I’m doing,” Preston said. “He’s another straightforward dude. He just tells me how he wants to get me the ball and stuff like that. He’s just a great guy.”

Preston was able to see Sarkisian’s offense at Alabama, and he feels that he’s bringing a winning mentality to Austin.

“I think it will be similar,” he said. “I think coach Sark and the rest of the coaching staff is going to flip the program and bring that mentality from Bama to Texas.”

A few other schools are top of mind for Preston at the moment. LSU will always be a major factor for Louisiana kids, and some other familiar southeast programs are making a push for him.

“LSU is there because they are my hometown,” he said. “They are always keeping up with me and keeping in contact with me. Florida State, Alabama and Mississippi State are in there too. My brother goes there.”

When it comes time to make his decision, Preston is looking for a program that checks all of the boxes.

“A place that feels like home,” he said. “A place that’s the best fit for me and the best situation for me. A place with a good quarterback and a good environment and a good history.”

At 6-feet, 190 pounds, Preston is ranked as the No. 10 wide receiver in the nation and No. 4 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

On his 247 page under "player comparison", Gabe Brooks compares him to Tylan Wallace.  Yes please.

Mike Roach:  Four-star OL Kelvin Banks eyeing official visits, possible summer decision

Spoiler

Four-star OL Kelvin Banks eyeing official visits, possible summer decision

Mike Roach

ARLINGTON, Texas — Kelvin Banks just whittled down his list to eight finalists.

The four-star offensive lineman from Humble (Texas) Summer Creek said that each of the schools that made the cut have been diligent in communicating with him.

“Texas, Ole Miss, A&M, LSU, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Arkansas and all of them,” he said. “It’s just good communication with all of them.”

Texas has been a favorite in this race since Banks came off of his original commitment to Oklahoma State. Since Steve Sarkisian took over, the Longhorns are throwing a lot of resources at him including Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks.

“I talk to coach Sark, coach Flood and coach Banks,” he said. “I’ve got a good connection with all of them. I like the way coach Flood coaches. He jokes around but when it’s time to go, it’s time to go.”

The staff has been trying to get to know him better since they arrived in Austin. Most of their talks go further than football.

“They really haven’t been just football,” he said. “They have been talking to me about family and all type of stuff. It’s just me trying to get a feel for them and them trying to get a feel for me.”

Banks is also hearing from several Texas commits. He and Jaydon Blue have a relationship that goes back to their childhood.

“I’ve known Jaydon for a long time since I was twelve or eleven,” Banks said. “He’s just really been in my ear trying to get me to be a Longhorn.”

Banks admitted that Blue’s voice carries a lot of weight. His stature in his class is attractive to others.

“It has a lot,” he said. “It’s always good when you have a five-star running back recruit who is probably the best running back in 2022 wanting you to block for him.”

There’s legitimate hope that the NCAA will allow visits this summer for the first time in over a year. Banks is hoping to take some trips in June before making a commitment. He already has two scheduled and two others in mind.

“The next step is if we get visits in June will be my commitment,” he said. “I already have visits set up with Oklahoma State and Texas A&M. I’m for sure going to visit Oregon and Texas. I don’t know who will be the last visit.”

Texas will likely be in it until the end. Banks said he grew up a fan of the Longhorns and he is forging a good connection with the coaching staff.

“Since I was little I’ve been a Longhorn fan,” Banks said. “It’s always been a dream of mine to play for the Longhorns. Also, coach Sark is a great guy. He’s not like one of those stuck up head coaches who doesn’t want to talk to the kids. He communicates with me every day and asks how I’m doing. I love the coaching staff. Coach Flood teaches me technique. We watch technique on zoom and stuff. I’m just getting a feel for how he coaches.”

All of his finalists have made a strong impression on him making the decision difficult. Two schools have a group of commits standing out as recruiting him the hardest.

“The group of commits I would say is Texas or Texas A&M,” he said. “Maalik Murphy has been talking to me a lot. He’s just been saying join the family basically. That’s all he’s been talking about.”

At 6-foot-5, 300 pounds, Banks is ranked as the No. 2 offensive tackle in the country and No. 6 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

On his 247 page under "player comparison", Gabe Brooks compares him to Tylan Wallace.  Yes please.

He's not that fast, though. This track season he's posted a sub 20ft LJ and recorded a 23+ 200m last season. For comparison, Evan Stewart was more than a whole second faster as a sophomore. Preston appears to be Jordan Hudson adjacent and plays Louisiana 3A competition. I'm not saying he isn't a good player, but he's not a burner.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7715878/5ffb8a05478cd10ff8a9f418

His tape actually made me think of Mohamed Massaquoi. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

OL thoughts from Perroni/Hattersley

(Texas targets, so posting in this thread).

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.b0cba73669d8dec2414e13b75d954c46.png

image.thumb.png.75d47538b3217c85f35681089c9753f2.png

image.thumb.png.5a4b3fa5beae2749b5282267019741a3.png

image.thumb.png.6608004d50f8e7af2208b21ebfea6387.png

Banks continues to be quite a source-off, neither side is even really hedging much. Funny Perroni is saying Dewberry is even a tighter competition than Banks at this point. 

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Banks continues to be quite a source-off, neither side is even really hedging much. Funny Perroni is saying Dewberry is even a tighter competition than Banks at this point. 

No kidding. A few days ago Roach even said he's getting more optimistic for Texas after previously being more 50/50 on him.

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Banks continues to be quite a source-off

Perroni is probably sourcing through Summer Creek contacts. We know IT is sourcing through parents and Roach is just letting the streets tickle his cochlea, so I'd say Perroni is exposing himself to the most risk in his assessment of the situation.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

I don't know if it is a strong year in the state, but they have the top two committed and seem to lead for most of the top 10. If anything, they might be reading their ability to get guys in the end more than usual. I honestly have no clue and mentioned it could be either one. But they don't seem to be having any issue right now in-state.

It's a strong year in Louisiana 

My theory is that most of the kids they lead for have already committed, and the ones who held off on getting pressured into a commitment are more open to go out of state 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm not 100% on this but I don't believe that the University has licensed Smokey for public retail. However, this Smokey artwork appeared on a hoodie Eagles wore last December.

I'll stop there. 

Appreciate it. I'll have South Austin's mom or Sydney Carton over later to give you a bj

Edited by Spider2YBanana

6 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Where's CTJ when you need him. He seemed to have some confident insight on Banks at one point

I’ve been mindlessly posting on food and travel threads lately. Trying to accomplish the most complicated and high risk transaction in my entire adult life right now, so pretty worthless on recruiting stuff. Sorry fellas.

The good news is that if I fail at pulling it off, I’ll be back to wasting my spare time with you dickheads. If I complete the 10 way parlay, not sure I’ll be seeing y’all much for years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve been mindlessly posting on food and travel threads lately. Trying to accomplish the most complicated and high risk transaction in my entire adult life right now, so pretty worthless on recruiting stuff. Sorry fellas.

The good news is that if I fail at pulling it off, I’ll be back to wasting my spare time with you dickheads. If I complete the 10 way parlay, not sure I’ll be seeing y’all much for years. 

That's what we tell ourselves; don't believe it.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Tom Herman’s in home visit with Noah Cain was two hours of a silent staring contest because Herman refused to acknowledge Noah when he said hello in the living room.  Then Herman made Noah’s mom throw out the dinner she cooked and serve Noah burned toast and spam instead.  

This is exactly how it went down.  It is known.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Sounds like a convenient excuse, imo 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What’s her name?

• Haha 2

Mike at Night: Thoughts on prospects from Texas Flex 7v7's practice

Spoiler

– I was able to see Carrollton Creekview tight end Sean Sallis in action today as he practiced with Texas Flex 7v7. Sallis visited Austin earlier this week and I was told they were blown away by the experience. The family took a trip to Clemson earlier in the year which was a great experience, but seeing DKR was described as "heaven" by Sallis's father. The family continues to speak with Jeff Banks, but the relationship hasn't progressed much past the early stages of getting to know each other. If Texas decides to make a run at him this summer, they should be in a strong position.

— Texas Flex is also home to Duncanville tight end Jerrale Powers. Powers is starting a strong run of offers himself, and Texas is also on him. Powers and his father told me they've been talking to Jeff Banks a bit, but their timeline could be accelerating. Florida State recently offered and Florida is starting to circle. The Longhorns will have to decide quickly on if they want to get into the race for both Powers and Sallis as it seems their recruitments are really starting to ramp up. Powers played receiver for Duncanville and added some great weight in the last few months. He's definitely another guy on the rise at the position.

— One player who caught my eye was 2022 Colleyville Heritage cornerback Dylahn McKinney. The rising prospect is the half brother of Anthony Cook and has been quietly having a strong spring on the camp and 7v7 circuit. McKinney has a long frame and plays a physical brand of press coverage. Terry Joseph is aware of McKinney and has been evaluating him recently. It's possible he could see a rise over the summer and really work his way into a higher tier of prospects in Texas.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

EDC Portugal 2021 is a go 🤙

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

All you really have to say is that you are buying a timeshare. Always so dramatic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

Could be aggy.

Could be Russia.

nqys3j6whan21.jpg

I’ve been to Moscow and I’ve been to College Station. I’d choose Moscow. 

Also, Russians have more of a reputation for independent thought than aggies do.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting