Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

12 minutes ago, Yesh said:

A "commitment" is also is not a commitment.  It only means we lead.

Unless the commit isn't taking visits and is actively recruiting for his team. Remains to be seen which guys fall in that category 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

RECRUITING

LB/ATH Ish Harris, Pilot Point (2022)

Nearly every college that is after 2022 Pilot Point ATH Ish Harris is recruiting him to play on the defensive side of the ball, so why did he practice at running back during the recent Under Armour All-America camp in Arlington? To improve his versatility and be able to help PPHS during the 2021 season.

“I play running back, corner, hangover, I play a lot of positions outside on defense and offense,” Harris said. “I pride myself on where I can go and how I can move on the field. I can virtually play anywhere on the field, wherever they put me.”

Only one school out of his top six is telling Harris he can run the ball on offense at the next level – Texas A&M. Every other school, Texas, Utah, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Oklahoma, want him for a linebacker role.

Texas and linebackers coach Jeff Choate have a specific player they are using to convince Harris to make the Forty Acres his new home.

“They want me to play outside linebacker, more like DeMarvion Overshown,” Harris said. “That’s what they’re trying to mold me into.”

What position he ends up at does not matter too much to Harris. He mentioned how he is checking out every school’s academic program because he wants to know what he’ll be able to do if he does not make it to the NFL.

With Texas, Harris hears from Choate and Steve Sarkisian regularly and even went on a virtual visit of UT.

“Me and Coach Sark, we probably get on the phone every week, probably once or twice a week,” Harris said. “We text every day, but we get on the phone and just chop it up. It’s not really football talk. He talks to me about how life is going, school, and family.”

Harris had something to say about each member of his top six.

Texas – “The ag business department they have for education.”
Texas A&M – “They’re all-around great people.”

Edit: We think he mixed up the two schools.

Utah – “The ability that Coach Swan has to produce NFL running backs.” (Swan is Utah’s linebackers coach)
Oklahoma State – “I love the town at OSU.”
Baylor – “I have a great relationship with the Baylor coaches.”
Oklahoma – “They have nice facilities, nice fields, and all that good stuff.”

Harris said he wants to take visits during the summer and commit in the middle of the football season. He intends to enroll early at the school of his choice.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (2022):

If you happened to miss Monday’s JTEN, Patton and Texas were starting to bond. After reaching out recently, Texas extended an offer to the ETX product on Tuesday night.

“Man, I am too hyped,” said Patton. “Just happy and blessed for the opportunity.”

He wants to visit and wants to learn more about the Longhorns.

“I definitely want to make that trip,” said Patton. “I want to major in Kinesiology with a minor in business.”

What was UT’s message to the outside linebacker?

“Just to keep working and that they’ve been watching me,” said Patton. “I think they want me to play linebacker. Once he said ‘offered,’ I kinda got lost.”

It was overwhelming for Patton. Texas is a school that he grew up watching. His family watched the Longhorns and now he has the chance to become one.

Michigan, OU, USC, and Baylor continue to build relationships, but this Texas offer feels different.

I’d expect a decision sometime this summer, but this offer might’ve sped up his timeline.

Taking a trip to Austin is probably the next move here.

D-LINE THOUGHTS, Post-Ross pledge

In his short time at Texas, Steve Sarkisian has belabored the need to add “bigs” to the Texas roster. He even mentioned this in his initial spring practice availability on Monday.

Ask and you shall receive, Sark.

You’ll frequently hear us mention setting the floor in a class at a position. Texas has done that with Jaylon Guilbeau’s carry-over commitment at DB, Armani Winfield’s commitment at WR, Trevell Johnson at LB, and, if we’re being honest, Malik Murphy at QB. Kris Ross‘ commitment does the same thing on the DL.

The North Shore defensive lineman is still underrated as a composite three-star but don’t let that fool you.

His size, initial quickness, quick feet, and reach, will give Pete Kwiatkowski a versatile piece who can play end versus the run or slide to nose in obvious passing downs. Three-tech is his most clear fit.

Now the question becomes, where does Texas go from here and how do the pieces fit?

Bear Alexander (Denton Ryan, Georgia commit) and Jaray Bledsoe (Bremond) are two interior players the staff will recruit through the whistle. They’re good enough to push the DL allocation higher if need be, and given Sark’s insistence on the importance of bigger bodies, we know Texas will take all the elite DL talent it can get. Alexander is a 1-tech; Bledsoe is similar in fit to Ross.

The staff recently offered Jadon Scarlett from Flower Mound (Coram Deo Academy). He’s more of a traditional SDE or 3-tech, so 3-tech at Texas. UT can make it very interesting with him but you wonder if the staff will push hard enough.

Zac Swanson from Brophy Prep in Phoenix has some similarities to Ross, but given the composite of traits (mainly size and quickness) he could easily fit in the class too. We’re watching to see if Swanson makes a summer official visit. As we’ve maintained since he was offered, Texas can get him but you do wonder if his similarity to Ross hurts his chances.

The staff will want optionality, especially with having to go heavy on numbers with true edge fits.

Texas is also looking at a couple of true nose tackles with a recent offer out to Aaron Bryant in Southaven, MS. Domonique Orange out of Kansas City is also one to watch.

Along with the instate elites, the staff will continue to mine out-of-state. Anthony Lucas out of Arizona is one you’d like to see the staff make a credible push for.

Given the importance of interior defensive line recruiting, Texas won’t want to load up too quick, but it also has to guard itself of potential late-cycle misses.

Ross offers excellent protection from misses while still possessing legitimate NFL upside. He won’t get lost in the shuffle if Texas loads up this cycle.

Quick Note: North Shore five-star cornerback Denver Harris is in the early stages of working out a June official visit to Texas, you know, if they’re allowed.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Machinator said:

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (2022):

If you happened to miss Monday’s JTEN, Patton and Texas were starting to bond. After reaching out recently, Texas extended an offer to the ETX product on Tuesday night.

“Man, I am too hyped,” said Patton. “Just happy and blessed for the opportunity.”

He wants to visit and wants to learn more about the Longhorns.

“I definitely want to make that trip,” said Patton. “I want to major in Kinesiology with a minor in business.”

What was UT’s message to the outside linebacker?

“Just to keep working and that they’ve been watching me,” said Patton. “I think they want me to play linebacker. Once he said ‘offered,’ I kinda got lost.”

It was overwhelming for Patton. Texas is a school that he grew up watching. His family watched the Longhorns and now he has the chance to become one.

Michigan, OU, USC, and Baylor continue to build relationships, but this Texas offer feels different.

I’d expect a decision sometime this summer, but this offer might’ve sped up his timeline.

Taking a trip to Austin is probably the next move here.

Y'all should watch the first minute of his HUDL.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11229732/5fcfe1e5d21b710828a2adda

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Harris had something to say about each member of his top six.

Texas – “The ag business department they have for education.”
Texas A&M – “They’re all-around great people.”

Edit: We think he mixed up the two schools.

Utah – “The ability that Coach Swan has to produce NFL running backs.” (Swan is Utah’s linebackers coach)
Oklahoma State – “I love the town at OSU.”
Baylor – “I have a great relationship with the Baylor coaches.”
Oklahoma – “They have nice facilities, nice fields, and all that good stuff.”

Always interesting when a $9.95er goes out of his way to make a kid seem like a dumbass, instead of just editing or modifying the article around mistakes comments for clarity.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

“Silents” are Anderson, Matthews and Banks. Doesn’t mean shit at this point. 

Texas still looks good on all of the guys they’ve been looking good on. They’re making plenty of headway with others. The visit season opening up stands to benefit Texas more than virtually any other school, provided this staff will do the kind of in-person work we all expect. No other major school is currently shrouded in as much mystery or unknown as Texas, from a positive POV. 

Sidenote: No school is more at risk of losing ground with recruiting getting back to normal than ATM. 

Confirmed through multiple places now that Stewart’s recruitment will run through dad from here and won’t be wrapped until just before signing day barring something fucking crazy. Texas is going to stay on this recruitment until the bitter end and might “win” it. 

The WR out of Katy is a fucking stud and tested off the charts for his size. “Texas is nuts if they don’t go in on this guy versus some big name from OOS.”

Sidenote sidenote: Shaka Smart is fucking done. (I’ll believe it when I see it, personally. Donors don’t need to be involved for the money on this one, so it’s a test of the fucking spine of Crystal Conte. Count me as skeptic of his big move capabilities. )

Caveat emptor with all of this but figured it was something. 

I assume the WR is this kid?

https://247sports.com/player/nicholas-anderson-46102449/

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

Mike at Night: What's next for Texas on the recruiting trail?

Hide contents

Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (La.)

There are times when the buzz is so overwhelming on a guy that you have to pay attention to it even if you can’t quite believe it yourself. That’s where I’m at with Mathews who seems sincere in his interest of Texas. In the past it’s been tough to see the Longhorns overcome the programs they are in the race with for a player like this. Our best intel says that Texas is in the lead and could lock Mathews down sooner rather than later. Even our most conservative intel says that Texas is at worst second for the elite prospect. Could he shut things down before the dead period and make a commitment to the Longhorns without in-state power LSU or longtime favorite Florida playing a factor? It wouldn’t surprise me based on what I’ve heard, but I’m still a bit suspect.

I agree with Roach on this, at least.

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yep. His brother was a RB at OU. Almost 6-4 and ran a 4.61 laser at the same event Winfield ran his 4.59.

IT's numbers for Anderson: 6-3 3/4, 192, 4.61 laser 40, 4.28 laser shuttle.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Texas still looks good on all of the guys they’ve been looking good on. They’re making plenty of headway with others. The visit season opening up stands to benefit Texas more than virtually any other school, provided this staff will do the kind of in-person work we all expect. No other major school is currently shrouded in as much mystery or unknown as Texas, from a positive POV. 

Sidenote: No school is more at risk of losing ground with recruiting getting back to normal than ATM. 

Confirmed through multiple places now that Stewart’s recruitment will run through dad from here and won’t be wrapped until just before signing day barring something fucking crazy. Texas is going to stay on this recruitment until the bitter end and might “win” it. 

The WR out of Katy is a fucking stud and tested off the charts for his size. “Texas is nuts if they don’t go in on this guy versus some big name from OOS.”

Sidenote sidenote: Shaka Smart is fucking done. (I’ll believe it when I see it, personally. Donors don’t need to be involved for the money on this one, so it’s a test of the fucking spine of Crystal Conte. Count me as skeptic of his big move capabilities. )

I just wish you had ended this post with “that’ll be $9.95 you coelenterate fuckheads”.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

“I play running back, corner, hangover, I play a lot of positions outside on defense and offense,”

Now here’s a position in which I could excel. I’m talking 5*, Baby. I’d be grabbing bags left and right!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Any specific reason why they are at risk of losing ground aside from the general shittyness of their campus/College Station? Is Jimbo just dynamite on a Zoom call?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

"Sidenote sidenote: Shaka Smart is fucking done. (I’ll believe it when I see it, personally. Donors don’t need to be involved for the money on this one, so it’s a test of the fucking spine of Crystal Conte. Count me as skeptic of his big move capabilities.)"

Heard through a 3rd party source, who's tight with a Big XII coach, after Tech loss that he was out even before the conference tournament began. Brad Stevens is a name that was floated around. Not sure how credible it is though. Like you I'm a CDC skeptic, but somehow I don't think he's calling us donors to rally around staff changes with Shaka like he did with TH smh. Guess we'll know soon enough. 

Any specific reason why they are at risk of losing ground aside from the general shittyness of their campus/College Station? Is Jimbo just dynamite on a Zoom call?
If your job is recruiting football players to college station, do you feel better or worse about your chances if the recruits never set foot on campus or interact with the locals?

Recruiting reporters are the absolute worst at their job, which is to accurately report on recruiting. It's an opportunity for them to sit at the cool kids table and they do everything in their power not to fuck that up instead of do their GD job. 

Exhibit A: 

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

We’ve had Anderson on this list for a while, and I continue to hear a lot of positive buzz around him. That said, I’ve also heard that talk that Anderson and his family have been expressing similar feelings with several different other programs.

Fuck you, Mike. You know that Anderson is a silent. Is this a thinly veiled attempt at saying he's also a silent to other schools? Are you so afraid that you'll lose your clout amongst 17yo kids that you need to smoke screen reality to placate them? Let's not pretend that this is all designed to avoid ruining the kid's moment. It's not. It's because you're a slob with a fat kid complex and you're afraid they'll ditch you. 

This isn't even reporting. I understand ingratiating yourself with the subject matter, but not at the expense of the work. The most self-serving grift in news. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Note Note: While this may seem de facto "duh" type of shit for us, or self-serving to my biases, but that take was offered up by someone that knows their shit in recruiting and isn't a UT alum or fanboy. 

It's always satisfying when a non-Texas person mentions to you "Man did you know that aggies are really weird?"

• Hook 'Em 6

Have you heard anything w/r/t the NCAA opening up recruiting for visits in June? Should we be reasonably confident that will happen?

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

They have a nice war room, which is all recruits see on Zoom.

Screenshot_2021-03-24 Title Lewis Shepherd on Twitter Behind Russia's new National Control Defense Center, Putin's glitzy w[...].png

Playing with my emotions with this comment. Three major silents but it doesn't mean anything?

54 minutes ago, Okcool said:

"Sidenote sidenote: Shaka Smart is fucking done. (I’ll believe it when I see it, personally. Donors don’t need to be involved for the money on this one, so it’s a test of the fucking spine of Crystal Conte. Count me as skeptic of his big move capabilities.)"

Heard through a 3rd party source, who's tight with a Big XII coach, after Tech loss that he was out even before the conference tournament began. Brad Stevens is a name that was floated around. Not sure how credible it is though. Like you I'm a CDC skeptic, but somehow I don't think he's calling us donors to rally around staff changes with Shaka like he did with TH smh. Guess we'll know soon enough. 

No chance either of those were true, no offense.  Stevens just turned IU down, I don't think he'll come here.

36 minutes ago, Viper said:

It's always satisfying when a non-Texas person mentions to you "Man did you know that aggies are really weird?"

Shared this on another thread a while back, but this was a text from a Tennessee friend of mine before the Tenn-aggy game

"DUDE. They're a fucking cult. Weirdest fans ever. I remember seeing a board post from an Aggie fan asking if their dumbass dog liked Jimbo when he was hired, as a sign as if this was gunna work. Weirdest shit ever. Their "midnight yell" might be the dumbest shit I've ever seen"

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting