Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

(Nick Harris)

NickKnacks: Looking at commitment timelines of Texas targets

Spoiler

Nick Harris

As the 2022 class begins to heat up with commitments across the country and visits possibly looming in the summer, Texas targets are getting more of an idea of when they want to shut things down and commit to their school of choice.

Texas' class currently sits at seven commits with three on the offensive side of the ball and four commits on the defensive side. With the Longhorns expected to take anywhere from 22-25 commits in the class, a solid number of prospects still remain on the board.

In this comprehensive list of commitment timelines, we will take a look at when Texas targets plan on making their commitments (all are subject to change):

Cy Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins: January 7 at the Under Armour All-American Game

North Shore five-star cornerback Denver Harris: After taking visits (top four of Alabama, LSU, Texas and Texas A&M)

Arlington Bowie five-star offensive guard Devon Campbell: Early Signing Period at the earliest

Anaheim (Calif.) Servite five-star wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan: After senior season

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei five-star wide receiver C.J. Williams: After taking visits

St. Louis (Mo.) St. Mary's five-star wide receiver Kevin Coleman: January 8 at the 2022 All-American Bowl in San Antonio

Ponchatoula (La.) five-star safety Jacoby Mathews: After the Early Signing Period

Duncanville four-star defensive end Omari Abor: January 7 at the Under Armour All-American Game

Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany four-star linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka: After taking his five official visits to Texas, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford and Arizona State

Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson: After rumblings indicated that Anderson would lock it down this spring, a source close to Anderson told Horns247 this week that he will wait until after he takes his visits. Currently, Anderson has visits planned to Texas, Texas A&M and USC in June.

Saint James (La.) four-star wide receiver Shazz Preston: No timetable

Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco four-star offensive guard Earnest Greene: "I don't have a timeframe for when I'll commit right now but ideally, I would love to do it before or even during my senior year if I can."

Spearman four-star wide receiver Brenen Thompson: After taking visits

Humble Atascocita four-star offensive tackle Kam Dewberry: Early Signing Day

Denton Ryan four-star cornerback Austin Jordan: Summer (top three of Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas)

Tyler Legacy four-star running back Jamarion Miller: Towards the end of his senior season before the Early Signing Period

Plano John Paul II four-star cornerback Terrance Brooks: N/A, top list in April or May

Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek four-star offensive guard Jacob Sexton: After taking visits to his top five schools (Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Alabama and Texas A&M)

Arlington Martin four-star defensive end Ernest Cooper IV: After taking visits to Texas, Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas A&M and Stanford

Pilot Point four-star athlete Ish Harris: No timetable, but will be an early enrollee

Frisco four-star offensive guard Cole Hutson: Initially planned on committing this spring, Hutson has since pushed his timeline back in anticipation of visits this summer

Lexington four-star safety Jarred Kerr: Before his senior season

Austin Westlake three-star offensive guard Connor Robertson: “I think I’d like to announce that in the next month or two,” he said. “But there is a possibility I wait for the dead period so I can visit a few schools if I’m not feeling something strong in my gut.”

The Woodlands three-star linebacker Martrell Harris: Before his senior season at the latest

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

He’ll go with the Taylor Hamm talking about Jeffrey McCullough back in the day.

”It is just so close and no need to use an official to visit”

"He's just playing around.  Remember, I'm close to this recruitment and have my pick on aggy for a reason even though he isn't a lock"

The funny thing about that pick is he put it in immediately after Banks decommitted from OK State.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Banks.

10317947.png

Texas A&M Aggies Home
TexasHeatMizer 

5-star OT Kelvin Banks sets official visit to Texas A&M

VIP
  • Brian Perroni avatar
    Brian Perroni
    Posted on 4 hrs, V I P, User Since 211 months ago, User Post Count: 98906
    • 4 hrsVIP
    • 211 months

Humble (Texas) Summer Creek offensive tackle Kelvin Banks was one of the first players in the class of 2022 to begin scheduling official visits. With the NCAA set to allow the current dead period to expire at the end of May, prospects can begin taking them in June.

The five-star junior had originally set a trip to Oklahoma State for the June 11 weekend and Texas A&M for the June 18 one. However, those have since changed.

On Thursday evening, the 6-foot-6, 310-pound rescheduled his Oklahoma State one to begin on Wed., June 16. Then, two days later, he changed that weekend's visit to Texas A&M instead of A&M. But now, the Aggies have a new date.

Banks spoke with Aggie offensive line coach Josh Henson and set a visit for June 24-26. That is a Thursday through Saturday, just before the normal July dead period begins. Banks will join national top-40 wide receiver Evan Stewart as players in town at that time for official visits.

Banks has a fourth official set as well as he will make it to LSU the weekend of June 4-6. He wants to make a decision prior to his senior season, so it would not be a surprise for him to squeeze another one into the month of June as well.

A one-time very early Oklahoma State pledge, Banks reopened his recruitment last summer. Since then, he has been very high on Texas A&M and has a strong bond with Henson. There are currently multiple Crystal Ball predictions in favor of the Aggies.

Texas A&M will have a busy June with double-digit players having already set visits. More will likely be added as the Aggies are looking to make up for lost time, as players have not been allowed on campus for any visits since March of 2020

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

(Hero Kanu) German kid that played his first HS game last week. The Athletic had a recent article on him. 

honestly's it's pretty crazy that ANDY STAPLES is writing an article about this guy who has only played like 2 games of football ever. good for him!

The Athletic: Suh comparisons: DT goes from Geltendorf, Germany (pop: 5,600) to 10 quick scholarship offers

The carb loading can be excused given the amount Kanu’s body is changing as he does his first real weight training. When he arrived in California, he could bench-press 225 pounds three times. Now he has a one-rep max of 315 pounds. His one-rep squat max has jumped from 355 to 475. “He’s Quadzilla,” Rouzier said. “His lower half is ridiculous.”

Text:

Spoiler

Suh comparisons: DT goes from Geltendorf, Germany (pop: 5,600) to 10 quick scholarship offers

Screenshot_20210322-142448_Snapchat-e1616533422743-1024x682.jpg
By Andy Staples Mar 24, 2021 comment-icon.png 6 save-icon.png

Hero Kanu assumed the call on was merely an introduction. After all, Kanu had played in exactly one high school football game. The previous Friday, Kanu’s Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic team had opened its COVID-19-delayed season with a 54-16 win against Mayfair. The game itself was as fun as the 6-foot-4, 293-pound defensive tackle always imagined it would be when he watched American football on TV back home in Germany. When Kanu got on the phone with Washington assistant Rip Rowan on March 15, Kanu figured Rowan was establishing a relationship that — with a great spring season and a good camp circuit in the summer — might ultimately lead to a scholarship offer.

Then Rowan stunned Kanu. “He said, ‘Hero, we’re offering you a full scholarship,’” Kanu said this week. Kanu had played well against Mayfair, blasting through blockers to make plays implode.

But Kanu wondered if he’d played well enough to get a scholarship offer a few days later. “I had no words for that,” Kanu said. “I just said ‘Thank you.’” Later that day, Santa Margarita Catholic coach Anthony Rouzier put Kanu on the phone with USC assistant Vic So’oto. So’oto also offered a scholarship. That night, Kanu couldn’t sleep. That made him a little groggy the following morning when Kentucky defensive coordinator Brad White offered a scholarship to play for the Wildcats.

Rouzier just laughs as he ponders the initial flurry of scholarship offers for Kanu — which continued Monday when Ole Miss offered. “He’s a great kid,” Rouzier said. “He has no idea what he’s gotten himself into.”

How could he? Eighteen months ago, Kanu was a large kid in the small Bavarian town of Geltendorf (population: 5,600) who dreamed of playing a sport he’d only seen on television. Now he has offers from the aforementioned schools as well as Oregon, Michigan, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and TCU. How did he get here?

It started when a friend introduced Kanu to Brandon Collier, the former UMass defensive tackle who lives in Germany and runs a company called PPI Recruits that connects European football players with American universities. At the time, Kanu was 14. He stood 6-3 and weighed 250. “You could tell his growth plates were wide open,” Collier said. Kanu had been playing defender in soccer. As Collier put Kanu through different football drills, the American expat marveled at how easily Kanu moved considering his size. “From the soccer background, he had great feet,” Collier said. “I knew when he started playing football he’d be really good.”

Collier thought Kanu could be an elite recruit if he had a chance to play against good high school competition in the United States. Collier had sent fellow German Maurice Heims to California to play for Rouzier, who was Collier’s roommate at UMass. Heims, a 6-5, 235-pound edge rusher, signed with Washington in December. Initially, Collier thought Kanu — who turned 16 in September — would wind up in the recruiting class of 2023. But because he finished 10th grade in Germany before coming to California last September, he actually is a member of the class of 2022. He’ll play in the pandemic-delayed 2020 season this spring and the 2021 season this fall. He’ll be eligible to sign with a college in December.

Screenshot_20210322-142401_Snapchat.jpg

When he arrived in California, Hero Kanu could bench-press 225 pounds three times. Now he has a one-rep max of 315 pounds. His one-rep squat max has jumped from 355 to 475. “His size and speed and fluidity are definitely things you can’t teach,” coach Anthony Rouzier said. (Courtesy of Hero Kanu)

Getting to California required some convincing. Kanu’s parents Kingsley and Judith were cool to the idea of allowing the youngest of their three children to cross an ocean to play a sport. Kingsley, who is originally from Nigeria — and whose brother Nnamdi is the leader of a separatist group called the Indigenous People of Biafra — and Judith, who is from Germany, weren’t familiar with how high school and college sports worked on this side of the Atlantic. “No,” Kanu remembers his mother saying. “You can’t do that.”

Collier explained that people with Kanu’s combination of size and agility aren’t exactly plentiful, and the move could result in a college scholarship. Kanu’s parents relented, but he knew when they took him to the airport last September that going so far from home wouldn’t be easy — and it hasn’t been. “There are moments where you feel alone because your actual parents are not here,” Kanu said. “You know that feeling that there is somebody out there who actually loves you. My parents are 6,000 miles away.”

But Kanu, whose English is excellent and improving with each day, has embraced exploring a new culture. “People are more open to talk to each other,” he said. “The first day I arrived, I went down to the basketball court and just played with some people.” Kanu made fast friends with his football teammates, and he has relished learning the finer points of the sport after spending so much time on drills in Germany. Of course, there are things Kanu can’t find in California. “My Bavarian pretzels,” he said, laughing. “I miss them so much. I will eat eight of them every morning when I get back for two weeks in the summer. At least that’s the plan.”

The carb loading can be excused given the amount Kanu’s body is changing as he does his first real weight training. When he arrived in California, he could bench-press 225 pounds three times. Now he has a one-rep max of 315 pounds. His one-rep squat max has jumped from 355 to 475. “He’s Quadzilla,” Rouzier said. “His lower half is ridiculous.”

Since he began his football journey, Kanu has drawn physical comparisons to a far more realistic monster. “People tell me I look like Ndamukong Suh,” Kanu said. “And I sometimes play like him — just not as nasty as him.” The comparison is a lot to live up to, but Kanu’s basic physical characteristics are similar to Suh’s at that age. When Suh was a senior at Grant High in Portland, Ore., he was 6-4 and a decidedly not sloppy 275 pounds. At Nebraska, Suh played at 300 pounds, and his uncommon agility at that size made him nearly unblockable.

Rouzier said Kanu still needs to learn to use his physical gifts, but he believes that will come as he learns the game. “We’re not turning him into a football player,” Rouzier said. “We’re just here, and he’s learning it. He’s turning himself into a football player.” Rouzier said Kanu’s work ethic has been excellent since he arrived, but one moment in preseason practice flipped a switch. Defensive tackle Damonic Williams, a 6-2, 320-pound Cal commit in the class of 2022, initially planned to transfer from Santa Margarita Catholic from Bishop Alemany, so he had a few practices with Kanu’s team. At one point, coaches put Williams in with the first team. Kanu realized in that moment that simply being physically gifted wouldn’t be enough. Even though Williams wound up returning to Bishop Alemany because of transfer rules that would have made it impossible to play at Santa Margarita Catholic, Kanu has seemed even more determined since that practice. Kanu believes he learned some valuable lessons last week in a 65-28 loss to St. John Bosco, which finished 2019 ranked No. 1 in USA Today’s high school rankings. St. John Bosco features USC-bound tackle Maximus Gibbs, UNLV-bound tackle Anton Ambuehl and sought-after 2022 guard Earnest Greene. “It was a great experience for me,” Kanu said. “I got better with that. Or through that. I think that’s the right word.”

Rouzier wants Kanu to learn how it feels to face elite talent because that’s all he’ll see at the schools that are recruiting him. Rouzier also doesn’t want Kanu to be shy about using his athleticism. “He’s starting to get more twitchy and starting to do some Aaron Donald swims,” Rouzier said. “We’re OK with that. He’s too good of a player for him to take blocks on, especially inside. Go penetrate and make plays.”

Rouzier also has some advice for college coaches recruiting Kanu. They don’t have to offer scholarships right away. Nor do they need to promise Kanu any playing time or potential draft status. Doing that might put a coach on the wrong end of a cultural divide. “My wife is German,” Rouzier said. “The whole hype and hoopla thing is not really their deal.”

Rouzier hopes the NCAA will vote as expected to allow campus visits this summer. That will allow Kanu to narrow his options and more closely examine his finalists. Meanwhile, playing the rest of this season this spring will allow colleges to get more video of Kanu against quality competition to determine whether he fits what they want.

“His size and speed and fluidity are definitely things you can’t teach,” Rouzier said. “And he wants to learn. He’s got big desires.”

And if schools want to have a chance at landing Kanu, they’d better find some good Bavarian pretzels for his official visit.

What did you think of this story?
rating-meh.png
MEH
rating-solid.png
SOLID
rating-awesome.png
AWESOME

Andy Staples covers college football and all barbecue-related issues for The Athletic. He covered college football for Sports Illustrated from 2008-19. He also hosts The Andy Staples Show. Follow Andy on Twitter @Andy_Staples.

this funny comment was under the article lol

hulikz2l

here is his (blank) hudl: https://www.hudl.com/profile/15523156/hero-kanu

some camp highlights from Dec not on his hudl: https://wwkw.hudl.com/video/2/524625/5fea8f9eff02381028d7088c

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

honestly's it's pretty crazy that ANDY STAPLES is writing an article about this guy who has only played like 2 games of football ever. good for him!

The Athletic: Suh comparisons: DT goes from Geltendorf, Germany (pop: 5,600) to 10 quick scholarship offers

Text:

Reveal hidden contents

Suh comparisons: DT goes from Geltendorf, Germany (pop: 5,600) to 10 quick scholarship offers

Screenshot_20210322-142448_Snapchat-e1616533422743-1024x682.jpg
By Andy Staples Mar 24, 2021 comment-icon.png 6 save-icon.png

Hero Kanu assumed the call on was merely an introduction. After all, Kanu had played in exactly one high school football game. The previous Friday, Kanu’s Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic team had opened its COVID-19-delayed season with a 54-16 win against Mayfair. The game itself was as fun as the 6-foot-4, 293-pound defensive tackle always imagined it would be when he watched American football on TV back home in Germany. When Kanu got on the phone with Washington assistant Rip Rowan on March 15, Kanu figured Rowan was establishing a relationship that — with a great spring season and a good camp circuit in the summer — might ultimately lead to a scholarship offer.

Then Rowan stunned Kanu. “He said, ‘Hero, we’re offering you a full scholarship,’” Kanu said this week. Kanu had played well against Mayfair, blasting through blockers to make plays implode.

But Kanu wondered if he’d played well enough to get a scholarship offer a few days later. “I had no words for that,” Kanu said. “I just said ‘Thank you.’” Later that day, Santa Margarita Catholic coach Anthony Rouzier put Kanu on the phone with USC assistant Vic So’oto. So’oto also offered a scholarship. That night, Kanu couldn’t sleep. That made him a little groggy the following morning when Kentucky defensive coordinator Brad White offered a scholarship to play for the Wildcats.

Rouzier just laughs as he ponders the initial flurry of scholarship offers for Kanu — which continued Monday when Ole Miss offered. “He’s a great kid,” Rouzier said. “He has no idea what he’s gotten himself into.”

How could he? Eighteen months ago, Kanu was a large kid in the small Bavarian town of Geltendorf (population: 5,600) who dreamed of playing a sport he’d only seen on television. Now he has offers from the aforementioned schools as well as Oregon, Michigan, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State and TCU. How did he get here?

It started when a friend introduced Kanu to Brandon Collier, the former UMass defensive tackle who lives in Germany and runs a company called PPI Recruits that connects European football players with American universities. At the time, Kanu was 14. He stood 6-3 and weighed 250. “You could tell his growth plates were wide open,” Collier said. Kanu had been playing defender in soccer. As Collier put Kanu through different football drills, the American expat marveled at how easily Kanu moved considering his size. “From the soccer background, he had great feet,” Collier said. “I knew when he started playing football he’d be really good.”

Collier thought Kanu could be an elite recruit if he had a chance to play against good high school competition in the United States. Collier had sent fellow German Maurice Heims to California to play for Rouzier, who was Collier’s roommate at UMass. Heims, a 6-5, 235-pound edge rusher, signed with Washington in December. Initially, Collier thought Kanu — who turned 16 in September — would wind up in the recruiting class of 2023. But because he finished 10th grade in Germany before coming to California last September, he actually is a member of the class of 2022. He’ll play in the pandemic-delayed 2020 season this spring and the 2021 season this fall. He’ll be eligible to sign with a college in December.

Screenshot_20210322-142401_Snapchat.jpg

When he arrived in California, Hero Kanu could bench-press 225 pounds three times. Now he has a one-rep max of 315 pounds. His one-rep squat max has jumped from 355 to 475. “His size and speed and fluidity are definitely things you can’t teach,” coach Anthony Rouzier said. (Courtesy of Hero Kanu)

Getting to California required some convincing. Kanu’s parents Kingsley and Judith were cool to the idea of allowing the youngest of their three children to cross an ocean to play a sport. Kingsley, who is originally from Nigeria — and whose brother Nnamdi is the leader of a separatist group called the Indigenous People of Biafra — and Judith, who is from Germany, weren’t familiar with how high school and college sports worked on this side of the Atlantic. “No,” Kanu remembers his mother saying. “You can’t do that.”

Collier explained that people with Kanu’s combination of size and agility aren’t exactly plentiful, and the move could result in a college scholarship. Kanu’s parents relented, but he knew when they took him to the airport last September that going so far from home wouldn’t be easy — and it hasn’t been. “There are moments where you feel alone because your actual parents are not here,” Kanu said. “You know that feeling that there is somebody out there who actually loves you. My parents are 6,000 miles away.”

But Kanu, whose English is excellent and improving with each day, has embraced exploring a new culture. “People are more open to talk to each other,” he said. “The first day I arrived, I went down to the basketball court and just played with some people.” Kanu made fast friends with his football teammates, and he has relished learning the finer points of the sport after spending so much time on drills in Germany. Of course, there are things Kanu can’t find in California. “My Bavarian pretzels,” he said, laughing. “I miss them so much. I will eat eight of them every morning when I get back for two weeks in the summer. At least that’s the plan.”

Since he began his football journey, Kanu has drawn physical comparisons to a far more realistic monster. “People tell me I look like Ndamukong Suh,” Kanu said. “And I sometimes play like him — just not as nasty as him.” The comparison is a lot to live up to, but Kanu’s basic physical characteristics are similar to Suh’s at that age. When Suh was a senior at Grant High in Portland, Ore., he was 6-4 and a decidedly not sloppy 275 pounds. At Nebraska, Suh played at 300 pounds, and his uncommon agility at that size made him nearly unblockable.

Rouzier said Kanu still needs to learn to use his physical gifts, but he believes that will come as he learns the game. “We’re not turning him into a football player,” Rouzier said. “We’re just here, and he’s learning it. He’s turning himself into a football player.” Rouzier said Kanu’s work ethic has been excellent since he arrived, but one moment in preseason practice flipped a switch. Defensive tackle Damonic Williams, a 6-2, 320-pound Cal commit in the class of 2022, initially planned to transfer from Santa Margarita Catholic from Bishop Alemany, so he had a few practices with Kanu’s team. At one point, coaches put Williams in with the first team. Kanu realized in that moment that simply being physically gifted wouldn’t be enough. Even though Williams wound up returning to Bishop Alemany because of transfer rules that would have made it impossible to play at Santa Margarita Catholic, Kanu has seemed even more determined since that practice. Kanu believes he learned some valuable lessons last week in a 65-28 loss to St. John Bosco, which finished 2019 ranked No. 1 in USA Today’s high school rankings. St. John Bosco features USC-bound tackle Maximus Gibbs, UNLV-bound tackle Anton Ambuehl and sought-after 2022 guard Earnest Greene. “It was a great experience for me,” Kanu said. “I got better with that. Or through that. I think that’s the right word.”

Rouzier wants Kanu to learn how it feels to face elite talent because that’s all he’ll see at the schools that are recruiting him. Rouzier also doesn’t want Kanu to be shy about using his athleticism. “He’s starting to get more twitchy and starting to do some Aaron Donald swims,” Rouzier said. “We’re OK with that. He’s too good of a player for him to take blocks on, especially inside. Go penetrate and make plays.”

Rouzier also has some advice for college coaches recruiting Kanu. They don’t have to offer scholarships right away. Nor do they need to promise Kanu any playing time or potential draft status. Doing that might put a coach on the wrong end of a cultural divide. “My wife is German,” Rouzier said. “The whole hype and hoopla thing is not really their deal.”

Rouzier hopes the NCAA will vote as expected to allow campus visits this summer. That will allow Kanu to narrow his options and more closely examine his finalists. Meanwhile, playing the rest of this season this spring will allow colleges to get more video of Kanu against quality competition to determine whether he fits what they want.

“His size and speed and fluidity are definitely things you can’t teach,” Rouzier said. “And he wants to learn. He’s got big desires.”

And if schools want to have a chance at landing Kanu, they’d better find some good Bavarian pretzels for his official visit.

What did you think of this story?
rating-meh.png
MEH
rating-solid.png
SOLID
rating-awesome.png
AWESOME

Andy Staples covers college football and all barbecue-related issues for The Athletic. He covered college football for Sports Illustrated from 2008-19. He also hosts The Andy Staples Show. Follow Andy on Twitter @Andy_Staples.

this funny comment was under the article lol

hulikz2l

here is his (blank) hudl: https://www.hudl.com/profile/15523156/hero-kanu

some camp highlights from Dec not on his hudl: https://wwkw.hudl.com/video/2/524625/5fea8f9eff02381028d7088c

For a guy who has played two games, that dude looks really good.

15 hours ago, Getafix said:

(Nick Harris)

Hide contents

Nick Harris

As the 2022 class begins to heat up with commitments across the country and visits possibly looming in the summer, Texas targets are getting more of an idea of when they want to shut things down and commit to their school of choice.

Texas' class currently sits at seven commits with three on the offensive side of the ball and four commits on the defensive side. With the Longhorns expected to take anywhere from 22-25 commits in the class, a solid number of prospects still remain on the board.

In this comprehensive list of commitment timelines, we will take a look at when Texas targets plan on making their commitments (all are subject to change):

Cy Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins: January 7 at the Under Armour All-American Game

North Shore five-star cornerback Denver Harris: After taking visits (top four of Alabama, LSU, Texas and Texas A&M)

Arlington Bowie five-star offensive guard Devon Campbell: Early Signing Period at the earliest

Anaheim (Calif.) Servite five-star wide receiver Tetairoa McMillan: After senior season

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei five-star wide receiver C.J. Williams: After taking visits

St. Louis (Mo.) St. Mary's five-star wide receiver Kevin Coleman: January 8 at the 2022 All-American Bowl in San Antonio

Ponchatoula (La.) five-star safety Jacoby Mathews: After the Early Signing Period

Duncanville four-star defensive end Omari Abor: January 7 at the Under Armour All-American Game

Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany four-star linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka: After taking his five official visits to Texas, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford and Arizona State

Beaumont West Brook four-star safety Bryce Anderson: After rumblings indicated that Anderson would lock it down this spring, a source close to Anderson told Horns247 this week that he will wait until after he takes his visits. Currently, Anderson has visits planned to Texas, Texas A&M and USC in June.

Saint James (La.) four-star wide receiver Shazz Preston: No timetable

Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco four-star offensive guard Earnest Greene: "I don't have a timeframe for when I'll commit right now but ideally, I would love to do it before or even during my senior year if I can."

Spearman four-star wide receiver Brenen Thompson: After taking visits

Humble Atascocita four-star offensive tackle Kam Dewberry: Early Signing Day

Denton Ryan four-star cornerback Austin Jordan: Summer (top three of Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas)

Tyler Legacy four-star running back Jamarion Miller: Towards the end of his senior season before the Early Signing Period

Plano John Paul II four-star cornerback Terrance Brooks: N/A, top list in April or May

Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek four-star offensive guard Jacob Sexton: After taking visits to his top five schools (Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Alabama and Texas A&M)

Arlington Martin four-star defensive end Ernest Cooper IV: After taking visits to Texas, Notre Dame, Oregon, Texas A&M and Stanford

Pilot Point four-star athlete Ish Harris: No timetable, but will be an early enrollee

Frisco four-star offensive guard Cole Hutson: Initially planned on committing this spring, Hutson has since pushed his timeline back in anticipation of visits this summer

Lexington four-star safety Jarred Kerr: Before his senior season

Austin Westlake three-star offensive guard Connor Robertson: “I think I’d like to announce that in the next month or two,” he said. “But there is a possibility I wait for the dead period so I can visit a few schools if I’m not feeling something strong in my gut.”

The Woodlands three-star linebacker Martrell Harris: Before his senior season at the latest

Is it just me or do a lot of these timelines seem wrong

So, Question with regards to Evan Stewart’s recruitment.  Seems like the kid wanted to commit to Texas initially but his dad made him wait.  Evan still committed a bit later but then dad basically pulled the decommitment, and now people stating that this recruitment will be handled by dad.  Then we see them basically line up visits to all of the SEC schools that pay, UGA, Bama, aggy, UF.  From Wiltfongs most recent post, seems like he felt Texas was an afterthought.  Not sure how we go from getting his commitment to basically being back of the pack.  And how does aggy with their shitty passing offense get involved.  

So if I’m understanding this correctly, dad wants to get paid and this one will go the route of Jaylen Waddle to the highest bidder.  Why did we hire Sark if we’re not going to drop bags.  You rich alum need to set up the bag network.  I’ll throw in three fiddy

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

So, Question with regards to Evan Stewart’s recruitment.  Seems like the kid wanted to commit to Texas initially but his dad made him wait.  Evan still committed a bit later but then dad basically pulled the decommitment, and now people stating that this recruitment will be handled by dad.  Then we see them basically line up visits to all of the SEC schools that pay, UGA, Bama, aggy, UF.  From Wiltfongs most recent post, seems like he felt Texas was an afterthought.  Not sure how we go from getting his commitment to basically being back of the pack.  And how does aggy with their shitty passing offense get involved.  

So if I’m understanding this correctly, dad wants to get paid and this one will go the route of Jaylen Waddle to the highest bidder.  Why did we hire Sark if we’re not going to drop bags.  You rich alum need to set up the bag network.  I’ll throw in three fiddy

I'll also add that initially the talk with him was bags weren't going to be a huge factor: he has a huge tiktok following that he'll be able to monetize. He was more interested in how a school could help incorporate his NIL rights once that comes through.

Not sure what changed with that. I guess the most logical explanation is that his dad decided that he wants a taste too and it doesn't make any sense to leave bags on the table regardless of any social media income. 

• Like 1

MIKE ROACH:  Red River Shootouts: Recruiting battles between Texas and OU

Spoiler

Red River Shootouts: Recruiting battles between Texas and OU
MIKE ROACH

Texas and Oklahoma face off every October in one of the best rivalry games in all of football.

Traditionally, the game has been a recruiting weapon as well. As each team takes turns hosting recruits every other year, the matchup can become a big factor in several recruiting races. As Texas and Oklahoma routinely do battle for the same prospects, the game itself has a way of shaping future matchups.

Head-to-head matchups are difficult to score in the ever-changing landscape of recruiting, but this is our best look at where each side stands in these recruitments at the moment.

Texas moves into a pivotal season on the field while Oklahoma looks to reload to make another run at the College Football Playoff. Where do things stand as of now between both programs? We bring you a complete look.

TEXAS VICTORIES
Four-star Klein (Texas) Cain RB Jaydon Blue

Blue was one of the most prized recruits in the state of Texas, and both in-state powers were among the early offers he picked up following his sophomore season. Blue talked op Oklahoma as a school he was interested in, but the Longhorns became his primary focus. Blue is a big time weapon in the offensive class for Texas and a player in school in the country would want.

Four-star Aledo (Texas) safety Bryan Allen Jr.
Allen seemed to be looking at Texas and Oklahoma along with a host of SEC programs after opening his commitment. The buzz around Allen and Oklahoma mounted to the point where it looked like it could be an old fashioned Red River battle for the services of Allen. In the end, Allen seemed to zero in on Texas and made the call for the Longhorns.

Three-star North Shore DT Kristopher Ross

Ross seemed to be all in on Texas from the time Bo Davis started his recruitment. Davis made Ross a priority from the day he was hired and it worked out as Texas was able to close the deal and land him earlier this week. Oklahoma made a push for him down the stretch but couldn’t overcome the Texas push that was overwhelming since the time Steve Sarkisian and his staff arrived in Austin.

OKLAHOMA VICTORIES

Five-star Saint Louis (Mo.) Cardinal Ritter College Prep WR Luther Burden

Texas never was in the race for Burden and he chose Oklahoma as Texas was floundering under Tom Herman and the former Texas staff. Burden is one of the top prospects in the country and should continue the influx of talent at receiver for the Sooners.

Five-star Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei RB Raleek Brown

Texas entered the race late for Brown and never gained a ton of traction as the Sooners opened up a big lead for him. Brown talked of playing his recruitment out and just showing up on a campus instead of making a public announcement, but he decided to announce to the Sooners back in February. Brown has the versatility to play several offensive positions including running back and slot.

Four-star Edmond (Okla.) Santa Fe WR Talyn Shettron

Like Burden, Shettron gave Texas a cursory glance before picking Oklahoma as the Texas program sank under Tom Herman and his staff. Shettron was always an Oklahoma lean, but it didn’t hurt that Texas was mired in chaos. Shettron has great physical ability and is developing as a strong receiver with big play ability to score on vertical routes or become a dominant physical presence in the red zone.

Four-star Garland (Texas) WR Jordan Hudson

While Texas was working on Hudson as a cornerback target under the previous staff, Oklahoma capitalized on an early offer and landed the Dallas-area vertical threat. Texas has been in contact with Hudson under the new coaching staff and it wouldn’t be crazy to see him at least take a visit.

Three-star Aledo (Texas) TE Jason Llewellyn

Llewellyn had a meteoric rise this spring and chose Oklahoma over offers from a couple of different schools, including Texas. Llewellyn is growing into a good tight end prospect and has the added versatility of long snapping in his game.

UP FOR GRABS

Four-star Humble (Texas) Summer Creek OL Kelvin Banks

Texas and Oklahoma will both get official visits from Banks as he makes his call this summer. This will be one of the most heated races in the state as Banks takes his pick between Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, LSU and Texas A&M.

Four-star Humble (Texas) Atascocita OL Kam Dewberry

This is yet another race that could come down to Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Dewberry is high on Bill Bedenbaugh and building a good relationship with Kyle Flood. Texas A&M will pose a major threat as well as the Aggies were one of the first schools to offer.

Four-star Federal Way (WA.) Todd Beamer OL Malik Agbo

Agbo is still in the process of narrowing down the schools he’s looking at, but Texas and Oklahoma will both be in the running for an official visit. Both schools are big contenders for Agbo and it wouldn’t surprise me to see Texas and Oklahoma end up as finalists for him.

Four-star Edmond (Okla.) Deer Creek OL Jacob Sexton

Sexton is down to his final five and will visit both Texas and Oklahoma down the stretch along with Alabama, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. The Sooners have the lead on the 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions at the moment, and they will have the advantage going into the summer.

Five-star Arlington (Texas) Bowie OL Devon Campbell

Campbell’s recruitment is shaping up to be one of the biggest heavyweight battles in the country this year. Campbell hasn’t even hit the backstretch of his recruitment yet as Oklahoma, LSU and Texas A&M appear to be major factors as opponents for the Longhorns. Texas currently leads on the 247Sports Crystal Ball and the Longhorns are pushing to close.

Four-star Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco OL Earnest Greene

Greene recently released a Top 10 that included Texas and Oklahoma along with a wealth of other national powers. Greene is going to get the full-court press from Maalik Murphy and both programs will be vying for his attention down the stretch.

Four-star Allen (Texas) OL Neto Umeozulu

Umeozulu is yet another offensive lineman both schools are in the mix for at the moment. Umeozulu hasn’t narrowed anything down as of yet and can’t really bring his recruitment into focus until he’s able to take visits. The COVID-19 dead period put this recruitment behind and there likely won’t be more clarity until he takes some trips.

Four-star Frisco (Texas) OL Cole Hutson

Hutson is in the middle of scheduling visits and Texas and Oklahoma are both on the docket for official trips. Hutson is looking at a bunch of schools, but it sounds like this could come down a battle between both Red River rivals.

Three-star Texarkana (Texas) Texas High DE Derrick Brown

Brown landed on the map after a huge junior season and is now one of the most sought-after players in the state. It’s likely that Texas and Oklahoma will end up in the final group for Brown and both schools are prioritizing him.

Four-star Duncanville (Texas) DE Omari Abor

Abor is one of the elite defenders in the country and both schools will go all out to try and land him. Oklahoma holds the definite edge over Texas and is more concerned about outdueling schools like Ohio State and Texas A&M. Texas is hanging in the race and will get an official visit from him as the Longhorns look to climb the ladder in this race.

Five-star Cypress (Texas) Cy-Park OLB Harold Perkins

Both schools have an offer out to Perkins, but Texas appears to be in a better position as of right now. Oklahoma looks to be on the outside for the Houston defender while Texas is deep in the race for him along with Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M.

Four-star Carthage (Texas) OLB Kip Lewis

Lewis’ recruitment appears to just be beginning. Texas is in the mix along with Texas A&M, but Oklahoma appears to have made the biggest early impact. This will be a fascinating recruitment down the stretch as Lewis’s relationship with Brian Odom is strong and he’s developing more with Jeff Choate.

Three-star Tenaha (Texas) OLB Jeremy Patton

Patton’s ascension was quick as Texas and Oklahoma are two of his most recent offers. Patton said he’s in the process of narrowing down his choices and closing in on a decision timeframe. It’s likely that Texas and Oklahoma will both be there in the end.

Four-star Denton (Texas) Ryan CB Austin Jordan

Jordan recently cut a Top 3 of Texas, Oklahoma and Ohio State and will look to take some visits over the summer. Oklahoma is pushing hard for Jordan and should be considered the favorite at the moment.

Four-star Plano (Texas) John Paul II CB Terrance Brooks

Brooks’ recruitment is starting to heat up as school start to crank up the heat on him. It looks like it could be a three-way race between Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M as we head into the summer.

Five-star Ponchatoula (La.) safety Jacoby Mathews

Mathews has a Top 6 that includes Texas and Oklahoma but the Longhorns seem to be generating more buzz at the moment. We will see where things stand as the five-star prospect heads into the summer looking to sift through his options.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Whos got the biggest bag is the game. Wiltfong probably thinking we arent playing that game. This will play out awhile to see who wins the bidding war

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I'll also add that initially the talk with him was bags weren't going to be a huge factor: he has a huge tiktok following that he'll be able to monetize. He was more interested in how a school could help incorporate his NIL rights once that comes through.

Not sure what changed with that. I guess the most logical explanation is that his dad decided that he wants a taste too and it doesn't make any sense to leave bags on the table regardless of any social media income. 

This is what I imagine is the beginning of the reality with upcoming NIL. The SEC doesn't want it to happen because it will allow schools who they traditionally don't have to compete with for prospects (when it comes to bags) to challenge them. However, that does not mean schools will cease all under-the-table compensation once it arrives. Some kids will surely take the up-front guarantee as opposed to a lofty promise (for some prospects) of potential NIL earnings. Regardless of a kid's confidence in themselves, or even their family's, there will still be those who want to take the safe money.

There will still remain recruiting uncles and trainers who want a piece of the pie as well, and those individuals are unlikely to get that piece from a player's NIL revenue. This is where I believe Evan's situation falls. While Evan is the literal perfect pitch for a kid to capitalize on their NIL, he is still being pulled away from a program that has all the resources to help him accomplish that due to others around him who want a cut.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, victory88 said:

The belief is that Texas is going to stay in on this recruitment the whole way. 

34 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Sounds like you have it straight. There’s what the player wants, and then there’s his pimp. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Right.

Why not both?

Well giddyup.  Commence with the wetting of the beaks and let's blow the doors off this motherfucker!

If Texas has big boy money let's prove it and start grinding everyone else's dicks into dust.  Start with the Walmart hillbilly Sling Blade motherfuckers from Tuscaloosa.  Let's pull out our proverbial cocks and start deep dicking the rest of college football.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Well giddyup.  Commence with the wetting of the beaks and let's blow the doors off this motherfucker!

If Texas has big boy money let's prove it and start grinding everyone else's dicks into dust.  Start with the Walmart hillbilly Sling Blade motherfuckers from Tuscaloosa.  Let's pull out our proverbial cocks and start deep dicking the rest of college football.

Let’s get better than aggy at the game and then set sights on Alabama. 

2 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

I think that talk was also just wrong. People assumed that because he has other ways to make money, he doesn't care about money. That's not always how it work. In fact the signs were there that the guy is highly money-motivated - his Tiktok stuff, NIL being his major decision factor, etc. 

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

If Sark & Banks need bag men I am happy to sign up. I will happily funnel other people's money to 5* talent to help Texas whip the shit out of people on the football field.

Thank you for your service - in advance. 

11 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I think that talk was also just wrong. People assumed that because he has other ways to make money, he doesn't care about money. That's not always how it work. In fact the signs were there that the guy is highly money-motivated - his Tiktok stuff, NIL being his major decision factor, etc. 

For sure, it's probably a good thing to remember in general. Anytime you read "it's not that kind of recruitment" you should probably just add "-at this time" in your head.

If you become a hot enough commodity there will be a point almost any player/family where the numbers being thrown around will force you to take notice unless your last name is Manning. And maybe even then.  

10 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

If you become a hot enough commodity there will be a point almost any player/family where the numbers being thrown around will force you to take notice unless your last name is Manning. And maybe even then.  

The question is not "do I have enough money that 80k is of no difference to me?". It's "am I willing to spend 80k to remove the possibility of testifying in federal court?". 

We laugh about enforcement, but it's an illegal transaction. Some families won't entertain the conversation which is usually where you get the "not that kind of recruitment" post script.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The question is not "do I have enough money that 80k is of no difference to me?". It's "am I willing to spend 80k to remove the possibility of testifying in federal court?". 

We laugh about enforcement, but it's an illegal transaction. Some families won't entertain the conversation which is usually where you get the "not that kind of recruitment" post script.

Sure, that is a real consideration for many families. Honest question though, have we ever seen a player or family be aggressively prosecuted for taking payments? Cam's dad maybe? I remember the NCAA "investigation" but I can't remember how his criminal inquiry played out.

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Sure, that is a real consideration for many families. Honest question though, have we ever seen a player or family be aggressively prosecuted for taking payments? Cam's dad maybe? I remember the NCAA "investigation" but I can't remember how his criminal inquiry played out.

No, not really. That's why I made a point to say testify in federal court in lieu of be prosecuted in federal court. Imo, the NCAA will have NIL shoved down their throats and they'll use it as an excuse to start prosecuting the bag game. They're nothing, if not greedy and once they figure out how to get their cut of NIL, the bag game indirectly affecting those profits will spur some action. Maybe wishful thinking, but it's a likely result, imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

RECRUITING MATTERS

With Texas finally handing out invitations for June’s official visit party, this is the first chance for most of the group to meet the UT staff in person. It will also be the first time some top targets will be seeing Austin.

This all assumes the NCAA lifts the dead period and we’ve received mixed messages that’ll even happen, including from the Texas side.

June 4-6:

WR Shazz Preston, St. James (LA): Despite his lofty rating and big-time ability, Preston might not be a lock to LSU. Yet. Alabama factors in here. Texas will take a shot the first weekend of June.

DE/EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High: Last month, the four-star edge-backer told IT he wanted to decide in June. OU, Baylor, and Colorado could also get visits that month, with his timeline looking more mid-to-late summer. Whoever wins June likely wins the recruitment.

June 11-13:

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty: The lightning fast wideout de-committed from Texas last month but it didn’t deter his fondness for the Horns. He’s looking at A&M on the 24-26th. Texas vs. the SEC recruitment with input from Stewart’s father factoring in heavily.

OG Cole Hutson, Frisco High: Texas-OU. Red River Rivalry. After student visits to each, he’ll return officially to both campuses. You’ll likely see a decision not long after those visits.

June 18-20:

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra: He’ll be back to his future residence after a student trip last month.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain: When he’s not smoking dudes on the track, he’s recruiting for Texas behind the scenes.

RB Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burgess: The re-awakening of this recruitment tells us Jamarion Miller and Texas still aren’t on the same page.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville: He’s gotten a little bigger, little stronger, and little smarter going into his senior year in six months. The Texas commit told IT he wanted to take some visits when possible. He’ll do just that, but we believe he’ll remain a Horn.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek: He’s going to take his trips. He has visits to LSU and Oklahoma State lined up and is also contemplating Oregon and A&M. Texas with a big lead headed into April.

DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore: The latest UT pledge will be most eager to visit UT. Chances of Ross making official visits is over 75% per a source on Thursday. That’s the climate we’re in due to Covid.

DT Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond: Official visit to Texas A&M June 4-6 is scheduled. Texas and Alabama official visits will happen in June. Texas is currently scheduled for June 18-20, but that may back up to the 25-27th. Oklahoma remains the fourth team under serious consideration.

LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (CA): OV’s to Notre Dame June 11-13 and Texas June 18-20 could very well decide this recruitment. Hometown USC is still pushing.

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin: The Texas commit told IT he wanted to take some visits if possible at the UA camp. He’ll do just that, but IT isn’t concerned about a flip at this point. Oklahoma State will get an unofficial visit in early June.

CB/N Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook: Anderson is not going to announce a commitment in early April. He has decided to wait until after the June visits, which are Texas A&M June 4-6, USC June 11-13, and Texas June 18-20. Texas remains the heavy favorite. Texas A&M is calling Anderson and family multiple times per day. That strategy isn’t working.

S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo: The guy Evan Stewart helped talk into committing is set to return to Austin. He’s visited UT before but not since becoming a member of the class. His 2024 little brother, Jaden, will almost certainly be with him. He looks like a take.

S Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (LA): His Texas OV June 18-20 will be huge here. IT remains the same in its reporting that Texas has the lead over Florida, Clemson and LSU.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore: One key aspect of Harris’ recruitment, he hates to fly. Another key aspect of his recruitment, his mom is likely to end up living in the same city or town where Harris goes to college. Texas and Alabama remain the most likely of the possible destinations — as of today. She really likes Austin.

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II: The son of a former NFLer, the four-star is turning into one of the state’s best defensive backs. The family is in the process of scheduling official visits, and Texas is likely to get one June 18-20. A trip to Texas for the spring game is also scheduled. Notre Dame, Alabama and Oklahoma also remain very much in play. Stanford is the sleeper.

June 25-27:

LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point: The OV schedule for the versatile prospect is Texas A&M June 11-13, Oklahoma June 18-20 and Texas June 25-27. Oklahoma State and Baylor are also in play.

CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial: The Golden triangle product is the longest tenured member of Texas' 2022 class. His OV to Texas is set for June 25-27 due to his mom having to work the weekend of June 18-20. Penn State and TCU are also pushing for visits.

Of Note:

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland: Hudson remains committed to Oklahoma, but does want to make visits according to a source in D/FW on Thursday. Texas is one of 2-3 schools that Hudson would like to make a visit to. The big question that will be answered in the coming weeks with Hudson’s recruitment … will he be committed when he eventually takes his visits?

• Hook 'Em 4

So eloquence, much wordsmith, wow

38 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Get ready for Nahlin to steal this

That made way too much sense for a Nahlin metaphor. He would probably go with something like: “Think of some recruitments as early stage Seed Investments, and others as derivative hedging instruments. And if that doesn’t make sense to you, you are just a snow flake, which my army of sycophants will now confirm.”

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

RECRUITING MATTERS

With Texas finally handing out invitations for June’s official visit party, this is the first chance for most of the group to meet the UT staff in person. It will also be the first time some top targets will be seeing Austin.

This all assumes the NCAA lifts the dead period and we’ve received mixed messages that’ll even happen, including from the Texas side.

June 4-6:

WR Shazz Preston, St. James (LA): Despite his lofty rating and big-time ability, Preston might not be a lock to LSU. Yet. Alabama factors in here. Texas will take a shot the first weekend of June.

DE/EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High: Last month, the four-star edge-backer told IT he wanted to decide in June. OU, Baylor, and Colorado could also get visits that month, with his timeline looking more mid-to-late summer. Whoever wins June likely wins the recruitment.

June 11-13:

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty: The lightning fast wideout de-committed from Texas last month but it didn’t deter his fondness for the Horns. He’s looking at A&M on the 24-26th. Texas vs. the SEC recruitment with input from Stewart’s father factoring in heavily.

OG Cole Hutson, Frisco High: Texas-OU. Red River Rivalry. After student visits to each, he’ll return officially to both campuses. You’ll likely see a decision not long after those visits.

June 18-20:

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra: He’ll be back to his future residence after a student trip last month.

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain: When he’s not smoking dudes on the track, he’s recruiting for Texas behind the scenes.

RB Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burgess: The re-awakening of this recruitment tells us Jamarion Miller and Texas still aren’t on the same page.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville: He’s gotten a little bigger, little stronger, and little smarter going into his senior year in six months. The Texas commit told IT he wanted to take some visits when possible. He’ll do just that, but we believe he’ll remain a Horn.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek: He’s going to take his trips. He has visits to LSU and Oklahoma State lined up and is also contemplating Oregon and A&M. Texas with a big lead headed into April.

DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore: The latest UT pledge will be most eager to visit UT. Chances of Ross making official visits is over 75% per a source on Thursday. That’s the climate we’re in due to Covid.

DT Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond: Official visit to Texas A&M June 4-6 is scheduled. Texas and Alabama official visits will happen in June. Texas is currently scheduled for June 18-20, but that may back up to the 25-27th. Oklahoma remains the fourth team under serious consideration.

LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (CA): OV’s to Notre Dame June 11-13 and Texas June 18-20 could very well decide this recruitment. Hometown USC is still pushing.

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin: The Texas commit told IT he wanted to take some visits if possible at the UA camp. He’ll do just that, but IT isn’t concerned about a flip at this point. Oklahoma State will get an unofficial visit in early June.

CB/N Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook: Anderson is not going to announce a commitment in early April. He has decided to wait until after the June visits, which are Texas A&M June 4-6, USC June 11-13, and Texas June 18-20. Texas remains the heavy favorite. Texas A&M is calling Anderson and family multiple times per day. That strategy isn’t working.

S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo: The guy Evan Stewart helped talk into committing is set to return to Austin. He’s visited UT before but not since becoming a member of the class. His 2024 little brother, Jaden, will almost certainly be with him. He looks like a take.

S Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (LA): His Texas OV June 18-20 will be huge here. IT remains the same in its reporting that Texas has the lead over Florida, Clemson and LSU.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore: One key aspect of Harris’ recruitment, he hates to fly. Another key aspect of his recruitment, his mom is likely to end up living in the same city or town where Harris goes to college. Texas and Alabama remain the most likely of the possible destinations — as of today. She really likes Austin.

CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II: The son of a former NFLer, the four-star is turning into one of the state’s best defensive backs. The family is in the process of scheduling official visits, and Texas is likely to get one June 18-20. A trip to Texas for the spring game is also scheduled. Notre Dame, Alabama and Oklahoma also remain very much in play. Stanford is the sleeper.

June 25-27:

LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point: The OV schedule for the versatile prospect is Texas A&M June 11-13, Oklahoma June 18-20 and Texas June 25-27. Oklahoma State and Baylor are also in play.

CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial: The Golden triangle product is the longest tenured member of Texas' 2022 class. His OV to Texas is set for June 25-27 due to his mom having to work the weekend of June 18-20. Penn State and TCU are also pushing for visits.

Of Note:

WR Jordan Hudson, Garland: Hudson remains committed to Oklahoma, but does want to make visits according to a source in D/FW on Thursday. Texas is one of 2-3 schools that Hudson would like to make a visit to. The big question that will be answered in the coming weeks with Hudson’s recruitment … will he be committed when he eventually takes his visits?

Some interesting notes in here:

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting