Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sorry for the cross-post, but relevant to this thread:

One of the things the aggies and Fisher’s corrupt-as-fuck ass are doing during the dead period is quietly hosting recruits out at his ranch off campus. Don’t want to do a student visit? No sweat. Fuck the dead period and the rules, come hang out with coach off-site, on the QT and the hush-hush. 

I hope Sarkisian is doing the same somewhere on Lake Travis. 

I find it really hard to give a shit if Jimbo Fisher is inviting recruits to his ranch during the dead period. If he can do it, we can and should be doing it, and if we aren’t that is our own fault. The NCAA’s silly rules should in general be derided and tossed aside in a manner that treats the NCAA with the lack of respect they deserve.

IT on Brooks

Spoiler

Terrance Brooks

Recently we mentioned how TCU is out of it for the John Paul II cornerback. The reason is they were recruiting him at safety and he wants to play corner first.

Stanford is now on the scrap heap. The reason is Brooks wants to be an early enrollee and Stanford doesn’t allow those. This is a sneaky big development because Brooks’ mother was pushing Stanford. She likes the school and also the Bay Area. Brooks’ father played for the 49ers in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

Brooks’ official visits will be Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, A&M, and Bama last. OU not making the cut for a DFW kid was truly shocking. In all seriousness, OU not receiving an official visit is surprising.

When looking at Texas from top to bottom, the school sets up well to win out. Academics coupled with liking Terry Joseph and the rest of the new staff might be enough to get this one across the finish line.

The biggest concern will be A&M, his dad’s alma mater, and Alabama getting the last official visit.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT on Brooks

Hide contents

Terrance Brooks

Recently we mentioned how TCU is out of it for the John Paul II cornerback. The reason is they were recruiting him at safety and he wants to play corner first.

Stanford is now on the scrap heap. The reason is Brooks wants to be an early enrollee and Stanford doesn’t allow those. This is a sneaky big development because Brooks’ mother was pushing Stanford. She likes the school and also the Bay Area. Brooks’ father played for the 49ers in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

Brooks’ official visits will be Oregon, Notre Dame, Texas, A&M, and Bama last. OU not making the cut for a DFW kid was truly shocking. In all seriousness, OU not receiving an official visit is surprising.

When looking at Texas from top to bottom, the school sets up well to win out. Academics coupled with liking Terry Joseph and the rest of the new staff might be enough to get this one across the finish line.

The biggest concern will be A&M, his dad’s alma mater, and Alabama getting the last official visit.

It doesn't sound like they have great sourcing here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike Roach: Elite WR Evan Stewart goes in depth on recrutiment, visit plans

DESOTO, Texas — Evan Stewart has a full dance card when it comes to his official visits. The four-star wide receiver from Frisco (Texas) Liberty lined five trips up for the summer, but they are already up in the air when it comes to scheduling. Texas is one of those trips. Stewart was originally scheduled to see Texas in mid-June, but he might have to push it back a week. “A couple of them might change because I want to save some of them for when they are actually in season,” he said. “Texas is one I want to get up to quick.”

Stewart originally committed to the Longhorns early in the year but decided to re-open his recruitment. Since that time, Stewart said he’s still on great terms with the Texas coaches. “We’re pretty good,” he said. “I talked to Sark last night. I talked to (Brandon) Harris last night and I talked to (Andre) Coleman today. It’s really good.” Sarkisian has been involved in the recruitment since day one and that hasn’t changed now that Stewart is on the market again. As a receiver, Sarkisian’s main pitch is how he can thrive in a creative and explosive offense.

“He’s just been telling me how much he misses me on the recruitment and stuff and how he wants me to come back,” Stewart said. “He told me how he wants to use me as a weapon in his offense.” Stewart is also growing to have a bond with Maalik Murphy. The Texas quarterback commit has a pretty magnetic personality and Stewart said the two talk often. “Me and Maalik are just real cool,” he said. “That’s my homeboy. He’s been recruiting me too. You know how he’s been and he’s all Hook ‘Em.”

Texas’ Director of Recruiting and assistant quarterback coach Brandon Harris is another major factor in the recruitment. Stewart sees him as a guy he can lean on for advice since he’s been through the process before. “He’s like another big brother to me,” he said. “He’s real cool. We talk about stuff other than football. He’ll just call and ask me what I ate or what I’m doing or something like that.”

Florida is scheduled to get the first official trip if visits resume in June. Stewart said he’s looking forward to the Florida weather and seeing the facilities in Gainesville. “The weather to be honest with you,” he said. “I really do want to see their stadium. Their stadium has intrigued me a lot and I just want to get a feel for the place.” Stewart’s 7-on-7 quarterback is Florida commit Nick Evers. Evers has been working on his top target and trying to get him to come to the swamp. “He’s been working on me a little bit,” he said. “He cooled off on me just a bit recently, but it’s been pretty good.”

Florida wide receiver coach Billy Gonzales is his main recruiter, but Stewart said that Florida recruits with the entire staff. “My contact at Florida is Gonzales most of the time,” Stewart said. “I talk to him just about every day. I’m also in a big group chat with all of the coaches and they text me almost every day.”

Georgia is another school that’s been a hot contender for Stewart. He was originally going to take a trip in the summer, but he wants to see the Dawgs in the fall during a game weekend. Cortez Hankton and Kirby Smart are both putting the press on, and Stewart has family and friends in the Atlanta area. “Georgia is one of the ones I want to save for the season,” he said. “I talk to coach Hankton and Kirby (Smart) too. I’ve just always liked Atlanta. I’ve been there multiple times. I’ve got a bunch of family and a bunch of close friends there.”

Texas A&M is making a push into the race as well. A big reason for that 2021 Aggie signee Deuce Harmon. The two were close after playing 7-on-7 together, and Stewart said that he and Bobby Taylor convinced him to give the Aggies a look. “Really it was Deuce (Harmon),” he said. “Deuce has always been on me about the Aggies. Bobby Taylor has been on me about the Aggies. I’ve been communicating with them and looking into their offense and wide receivers. I like what they’re doing.”

Texas A&M wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig is the lead recruiter for A&M, and Stewart said he reminds him of a former Texas assistant who was one of the first to offer him. “Coach Craig is my dude,” Stewart said. “He reminds me of Jay Valai. They are recruiting me about the same, so I like them a lot.” Valai is now at Alabama and he’s a big reason the Crimson Tide is deep in the race for Stewart. Valai is working to make sure Alabama gets the last visit which would likely happen this fall.

“I talked to him yesterday,” he said. “He wants me to save them best for last. He’s just checking up on me as usual.” Stewart learned some lessons from his original commitment. As of now, he has no timeline for his decision and he wants to make sure he remains patient. “I don’t know,” he said. “I really don’t know. I just learned from the first time that if it’s not right and if it don’t feel right, it’s not where you need to be. If you’re not patient, you will rush into something.”

At 6-feet, 175 pounds, Stewart is ranked as the No. 5 wide receiver in the country and No. 8 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2

I find it really hard to give a shit if Jimbo Fisher is inviting recruits to his ranch during the dead period. If he can do it, we can and should be doing it, and if we aren’t that is our own fault. The NCAA’s silly rules should in general be derided and tossed aside in a manner that treats the NCAA with the lack of respect they deserve.
That shit may fly in backwaters like Collie Station, Baton Rouge etc..where the towns exist to support the university, no other reason. If Sark even hinted at such a thing our journalistic luminaries like Kunt Bowels, FCB and Jabba the Ketch would be all over it like flies on dogshit...they couldnt resist at least cryptically breaking the news to their loyal sheep.

42 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The Bay Area is still a beautiful place, especially if you're just visiting every so often to watch your kid play football and don't have to put up with the day-to-day issues/expenses.

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK - Find & Share on GIPHY

Cost of doing anything related to the Bay Area including travel

One Million GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That shit may fly in backwaters like Collie Station, Baton Rouge etc..where the towns exist to support the university, no other reason. If Sark even hinted at such a thing our journalistic luminaries like Kunt Bowels, FCB and Jabba the Ketch would be all over it like flies on dogshit...they couldnt resist at least cryptically breaking the news to their loyal sheep.

The fact remains: if we really are the biggest swinging dick in college football, it's time to start acting like it. The NCAA is a fucking joke, and they are about to get steamrolled with the NIL shit that is coming. These kids will start doing all kinds of shit to get paid, and those fucks down at the NCAA will have no clue how to control it. Is it really a stretch to get an Uncle to setup a Coinbase account, and start getting paid in crypto? The days of McDonald's bags and FedEx envelopes are over. You think the NCAA even knows what an NFT is? It is going to get crazy, and Texas better be forward looking and optimizing every fucking advantage we have. I am sick of reading about "Georgia Bag Men" and Jimbo's silly shenanigans. We better get in this game for real. I expect Sark knows this. Jeff Banks certainly does. Time to stop fucking around.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Scholz said:

Danny Devito is the guy from Taxis but the guy I like is the actor from Always Sunny in Philadelphias.

50 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

He's always the guy from Twins. 

Um, Ruthless People DD and or One Flew Over TCN DD would like a word.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Machinator said:

It appears the five-star athlete from Da Boot is ready to drop a message. Mathews, one of UT's top targets, is part of a documentary series for IG TV with Anthony Rhodes called King of the South.

A documentary you say? - Texags

TFB (Charlie S) on CJ Williams

Spoiler

One of our guys out in California spoke with 2022 wide receiver CJ Williams this past weekend and was able to get a sense of how his visits are working out.

If you recall, previously Super K mentioned that Williams was looking to set up his visit to Austin for June.

‘Just chatted a bit with the father of 2022 4-star WR, CJ Williams (Mater Dei).

He tells me that they are working with Texas on setting up their official visit to Austin. They’re working on setting it up for June.

Last I spoke with CJ he told me he decided to move his timeline up. He will be looking to make an announcement shortly after his official visits.’

Williams will visit Notre Dame first, he will head to Ohio State on the second weekend of June, and right now, his final confirmed visit is for USC.

CJ mentioned that he is speaking with Texas and the goal is to set up his visit to coincide with Maalik Murphy’s visit to Austin.

Right now, the date has not been set, so we are not sure if they were able to make that plan work, but we will keep you posted once the date is set.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB (Charlie S) on CJ Williams

Hide contents

One of our guys out in California spoke with 2022 wide receiver CJ Williams this past weekend and was able to get a sense of how his visits are working out.

If you recall, previously Super K mentioned that Williams was looking to set up his visit to Austin for June.

‘Just chatted a bit with the father of 2022 4-star WR, CJ Williams (Mater Dei).

He tells me that they are working with Texas on setting up their official visit to Austin. They’re working on setting it up for June.

Last I spoke with CJ he told me he decided to move his timeline up. He will be looking to make an announcement shortly after his official visits.’

Williams will visit Notre Dame first, he will head to Ohio State on the second weekend of June, and right now, his final confirmed visit is for USC.

CJ mentioned that he is speaking with Texas and the goal is to set up his visit to coincide with Maalik Murphy’s visit to Austin.

Right now, the date has not been set, so we are not sure if they were able to make that plan work, but we will keep you posted once the date is set.

No Bama is notable 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: Elite WR Evan Stewart goes in depth on recrutiment, visit plans

"I’ve been communicating with them and looking into their offense and wide receivers. I like what they’re doing.”

There is 0% chance that he looked into their offense and wide receivers and came away impressed.  I can't think of a worse place for him to go play football.

9 minutes ago, Run Run Run Punt said:

"I’ve been communicating with them and looking into their offense and wide receivers. I like what they’re doing.”

There is 0% chance that he looked into their offense and wide receivers and came away impressed.  I can't think of a worse place for him to go play football.

To be fair, he was watching Rumlin highlights. 

56 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

He'll end up being our Head Coach in 10-15 years won't he?

Sarkisian is only 47 years old. If he succeeds, he will still be the coach at Texas in 10-15 years. If Sarkisian fails, I don't see a path where his failure leads to Milwee getting the HC job 4-6 years after they are all fired (assuming a 4 year run) esp with little to no HC experience at that point. Though, I guess that would be a bit like Yurcich being named Texas HC in 2025 and I can kind of visualize that path (barely) but it includes him having success as a HC. 

I'd expect Milwee will try to bounce to a G5 HC gig after 1-2 seasons at Texas. He went from youngest OC to "guy on staff" pretty quickly, so he needs to make it happen soon, or he'll get in to a no-man's land of age/lack of HC experience/non-playcall role for too long, etc .... 

If it were me and I was looking at future HC guys on this staff, that list would begin with Gideon. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 3

Wells

Spoiler

WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) (2022):

Texas continues its pursuit of the Cali-bred receiver. After setting up official visits to Notre Dame (June 4th-6th) and Ohio State (June 11th), he'll be hitting the ATX on the big weekend - June 18th-20th.

This is big because it's the same time UT pledge Maalik Murphy is visiting as well. Williams, one of the nation's top rated receivers, has steady stayed in touch with the Texas staff and has wanted this trip scheduled since January.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (2022):

The speedy wide receiver continues to be recruited heavily by Texas. The 5-foot-10, 170-pounder with 10.7 100-meter speed made a student visit to Texas A&M, and has an official visit scheduled to Oklahoma State June 9th-11th.

Prior to that visit to Stillwater, Thompson is expected to make a student visit to Austin after the Texas state track meet. Both Texas A&M and Texas will also receive an official visit, with one likely in June and the other during the season as of right now. Clemson and Alabama also remain in the top of 5 of Thompson's list.

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall (2022):

Despite UT's efforts, it appears the four-star pass-catcher might not visit UT in June. He's got dates set for Texas A&M (June 4th-6th) and USC (June 11th-13th) lined up currently.

At 6-foot-3, 180, the basketball-turned-football stud holds 23 offers, with Texas A&M and USC looking solid. Andre Coleman continues to recruit the elite athlete, and he's a kid that might want to see UT's product on the field before making any declarations. You still recruit him, and if you get him on campus, you make sure you leave a nice impression.

DT Domonique Orange, North Kansas City (Kansas City, MO) (2022):

Texas remains close with the 6-foot-4, 300-pound composite four-star from the Show Me State. With 17 offers including Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, and Florida State, Orange is wanted all over the country.

Orange spoke with Steve Sarkisian today and is looking at potentially scheduling an official visit soon, if possible. Bo Davis knows what he wants from an interior defensive lineman and Orange exhibits those traits.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think we have a thread on the 2016 class so I’ll just post this here.

Baron Browning 2016: Freakish athlete who needs to learn how to play linebacker. 

Baron Browning 2021: Freakish athlete who needs to learn how to play linebacker. 

I have no doubt he would’ve been a bust for us even if we had landed him. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting