Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If we land worthy and this other player decides to come to Texas watch the fuck out. It would arguably transform the roster potential overnight. 

So is mystery All American a WR? 

Edited by Bevo14

Super K
Spoiler

Texas 5-star QB commit, Maalik Murphy announced he will be at Texas’ spring game…
Maalik tells me that he’s trying to bring 4-star WR, CJ Williams out on the visit with him. He’s still working on it but we will let you know if that materializes.

“The staff will let him know if that’s okay”

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The Texas is over his heart. Put him in the class calculator. 

He’s aggy all the way despite what reporters may say. Dude has a closet full of aggy gear and he sports it to every single camp and workout he goes to.

Edited by Enchubben

Wells on Derrick Brown:

Spoiler

Quick note on Derrick Brown:

He’s also seeing Texas A&M in late June for an OV, and Terry Price is building a good relationship here. But after speaking with Brown and others, I get the sense Texas has surged past OU with Sarkisian, Kwiatkowski, Choate, Gideon, and Chris Gilbert leading the charge.

Horns are looking good heating into OV season soon.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Roach

Spoiler

— I was able to check in on Texarkana (Texas) Texas High edge rusher Derrick Brown today. The lanky edge rusher’s recruitment is starting to heat up as he heads into the summer, and Texas is making a big move. Brown has official visits set up to Texas (June 4-6), Texas A&M (June 18-20), Baylor (June 25-27) and OU (September 17-19). In speaking with sources near Brown, this is emerging as a battle between Texas and Texas A&M. The Longhorns are using an all-out effort to recruit him with positional coaches Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate running lead while area recruiter Blake Gideon is adding support. Most recently, director of high school relations Chris Gilbert has joined the effort. Gilbert knows Texas High head coach Gerry Stanford well and is working on establishing a relationship with Brown. Texas A&M probably holds a slight lead heading into the summer, but I was told that visits will provide true separation for him. Brown is looking to decide in the fall and the in-state recruiting rivals have been dubbed as the favorites. That said, don’t count out Oklahoma in this one either.

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

— I was able to check in on Texarkana (Texas) Texas High edge rusher Derrick Brown today. The lanky edge rusher’s recruitment is starting to heat up as he heads into the summer, and Texas is making a big move. Brown has official visits set up to Texas (June 4-6), Texas A&M (June 18-20), Baylor (June 25-27) and OU (September 17-19). In speaking with sources near Brown, this is emerging as a battle between Texas and Texas A&M. The Longhorns are using an all-out effort to recruit him with positional coaches Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate running lead while area recruiter Blake Gideon is adding support. Most recently, director of high school relations Chris Gilbert has joined the effort. Gilbert knows Texas High head coach Gerry Stanford well and is working on establishing a relationship with Brown. Texas A&M probably holds a slight lead heading into the summer, but I was told that visits will provide true separation for him. Brown is looking to decide in the fall and the in-state recruiting rivals have been dubbed as the favorites. That said, don’t count out Oklahoma in this one either.

I'm confused. Who can we count out?

• Haha 2

STEVE WILTFONG: Inside Top247 OT Kam Dewberry's top five schools

Spoiler

Inside Top247 OT Kam Dewberry's top five schools
STEVE WILTFONG

Humble (Texas) Atascocita Top247 offensive tackle Kam Dewberry dropped a Top10 around the holidays and then trimmed that list in half this past weekend.

One of the more highly-recruited players in the 2022 class, Dewberry’s “final five” consists of Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M.

“I really had a feeling about these schools for a while,” Dewberry said.

Now the hard part comes. Trying to get it down to one.

“Really I feel all the same from each school,” Dewberry said, adding he’s working on getting his official visits lined up next.

“If I had to say right now at this moment, I’m big on Ohio State right now just from the aspect of them being my dream school since I was a small boy, that’s where I always wanted to go but that can always change.”

As the 6-foot-4, 313-pound Dewberry said, all five of these schools have made a big impression. He talked about each of them.

Regarding the Crimson Tide: “I went on a visit and they offered me, Coach (Nick) Saban offered me as a freshman. That plays a big role they took a chance on me early. When I went on a visit I loved it there. It was the summer of 2019. It was amazing. They put people in the league every year and you’re going to get a chance to compete for a National Championship every year. I talk to Coach (Doug) Marrone and Coach Saban, we get on Zoom calls, those are the main two people I talk to.”

Regarding the Buckeyes: “It’s always been one of my top schools. I don’t know what type of attachment I have towards them but I like how they play, them being in the College Football Playoff every year that really plays a role for me, I’ve been building a relationship with Coach (Ryan) Day and Coach (Greg Stud(rawa) the offensive line coach there and it’s been going really well.”

Regarding the Sooners: “OU was the last place I visited before everything happened with Coronavirus. They left a long impression on me. Oklahoma was a beautiful place. That’s once school I can see myself playing at. That’s one place I can visually see myself at. Coach Lincoln Riley is amazing, an amazing coach, he’s built an amazing relationship with my family. Coach (Bill) B(edenbaugh) you have to look at what he’s produced, he’s produced some of the best offensive linemen in the league right now. They’re known as Offensive Line University and that’s one of the schools I’m really big on.”

Regarding the Longhorns: “Really with Texas that’s one of the first schools I’ve visited as far as my recruitment started. Just the brand of Texas is big. Being in Texas it’s a culture. It’s a lifestyle and the guys they have committed right now it’s building a really special class. If I chose Texas it would be a big class and we’d be able to do something no other Texas school has done in a while and build one of the best classes Texas has ever had and I’m real close with all the guys there. Sam Cosmi he’s going to be a first round draft pick. He’s from Atascocita, that’s my close tie with him. We work out and talk. He doesn’t push me to Texas but he tells me about the culture and lifestyle.”

Regarding the Aggies: “One it’s close to home. With me living in Houston it’s only an hour and a half away plus it’s in the SEC. I have some family ties over there, one of my closest friends Kenyon Green we’re close he’s over there. It’s always been family. That was my first big offer I can say, my first SEC offer they gave me and it was really big. I talk to pretty much every coach, Coach (Josh) Henson, Coach (Jimbo) Fisher, all the defensive coaches, basically the whole staff, they all talk to me but the main one is Coach Henson, we talk once or twice a week.”

The 247Sports Composite tabs Dewberry as the country's No. 9 offensive tackle and No. 97 prospect overall.

MIKE ROACH:  The Stampede: Predicting the 2022 defensive class

Spoiler

The Stampede: Predicting the 2022 defensive class
MIKE ROACH

As we draw nearer to the summer and the hope that the NCAA dead period will end, the time has come to take our first shot at predicting what the 2022 class will look like.

Predictions are always difficult, especially when we are almost a year from this class wrapping up. As more evaluations and offers are made, the face of this class will continue to change and predictions should be looked at as an ongoing prospect.

Still, there must be a starting point somewhere, and now feels like the best time to do so. We'll start with the offensive side of the ball where Steve Sarkisian looks to invigorate Texas' scoring and bring in some playmakers.

These projections are based on our intel at the moment, and a total class projection is incomplete as there are some positions we can't clearly project anyone to right now.

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we take our first shot at predicting the 2022 class starting with the defensive recruits.

Derrick Brown, EDGE, Texarkana Texas High

Texas is going to have to continue to make up ground in this race, but the trend line is pretty strong at the moment. The Longhorns seem to be surging in this recruitment as we get set to head into a summer where visits will create more separation between the schools in the running for the high-upside pass-rusher. Right now, Texas will have to put Texas A&M in the rearview, but Oklahoma lurks with his former teammate and close friend Clayton Smith already on campus in Norman. Oklahoma also has the last visit so Texas will need to wow Brown early in the summer and try to hold on tight from there.

Zac Swanson, DL, Phoenix (AZ) Brophy College Prep

Swanson hardly ever talks, so the majority of the information on him has to be sourced, but the sources we talk to feel good about where the Longhorns stand in this race. Swanson seemed to be all in on attending USC, but the Longhorns have been able to do a great job flipping the script in this recruitment during the spring. With a strong visit in the summer, Swanson could shut it down early. Regardless, Texas is in the driver’s seat at the moment looking to close the deal on Swanson.

Kristopher Ross, DL, Galena Park North Shore

Ross committed to Texas last month, and the Longhorns were able to get in with the rising defensive tackle prospect. Ross combined his strong game film with some excellent camp performances and a standout year throwing the shotput in track and field for the Mustangs. His build and explosive ability are excellent traits for a player who is still growing into his body and role, and those traits should translate pretty well to the college level where he can be looked at as a multi-gap disruptor and a prospect with more growth in front of him on the field.

Trevell Johnson, LB, Arlington Martin

Johnson committed to Texas early, and though he wants to take some unofficial visits, he’s locked into the Longhorns. Johnson is a fit as an outside linebacker with the ability to also play inside depending on how he physically develops at the next level. While he might not quite have the size prototypical for the linebacker position, Johnson’s ability to sort through traffic and find the ball is a major asset that could play him inside at the next level.

Robby Snelling, LB, Reno (NV) McQueen

Snelling is yet another prospect out west who could play a role in this class. A two-way prospect who stars in both football and baseball, Snelling will consider playing both once he gets to Austin. Texas recently offered and immediately set up an official visit to come see them in the summer. While Stanford and UCLA remain in the picture as west coast contenders for the Nevada prospect, Texas is a school that can offer everything Snelling wants and needs in a future program. This is an example of how the hires of Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate will help Texas expand out west.

Denver Harris, CB, Galena Park North Shore

This is a big one, and the Longhorns will have to continue to push with their best effort to land the elite Galena Park North Shore cornerback. Harris doesn’t talk at all, but it sounds like Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama. Texas has always seemed like the logical contender, but Alabama is in there as well thanks to the foundation Jay Valai laid when he was employed in Austin last summer. The Longhorns need to stay the course, and a good year could net them the five-star defender and maybe get them back into the North Shore pipeline.

Jaylon Guilbeau, CB, Port Arthur Memorial

Guilbeau is the longest-tenured commit in the class and remains solid even after talking about opening his recruitment when Steve Sarkisian was hired. It seems those vibes have chaned and Guilbeau has been getting comfortable with new cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph and head coach Steve Sarkisian. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Guilbeau still look to take a few visits, but his commitment seems to be solid. His versatility could fit just about anywhere in the secondary with corner and nickel being the two positions where he has worked most often in his high school career.

Bryan Allen, S, Aledo

A big early win for Steve Sarkisian and his staff, Allen defected from LSU and was looking into a host of SEC schools along with Oklahoma before the Longhorns stormed in and won him over. A physical safety with range and heavy hitting ability, Allen seems one of the more firm commits in the class and has been doing some vocal recruiting for Texas behind the scenes. Allen is part one of a trifecta Blake Gideon is trying to string together in his first year to land an elite safety group.

Bryce Anderson, S, Beaumont Westbrook

Anderson would be the second piece of the trifecta and would probably go a long way to helping Gideon solidify the third part if Texas can reel in Anderson. For the last two months, the buzz around the Golden Triangle native has been strongly in Texas’ favor, but an expected spring commitment has now been pushed back in favor of summer visits. While Texas still seems to hold the upper hand, those visits will allow other schools to give Anderson their best shot in hopes of steering him away from Austin. Anderson is one of the top safety prospects in the country with a blend of size, elite speed and instincts. He also has a tremendous amount of experience having played since he was a freshman in high school.

Jacoby Mathews, S, Ponchatoula (LA.)

If Texas can land Anderson, the chances to bring in five-star safety Jacoby Mathews rise exponentially. As things stand now, the intel says that Texas stands in a very strong position for the Louisiana native thanks to a big hand from Terry Joseph and Steve Sarkisian. It still looks like a long road for Mathews as he intends to take each of his visits, and the Longhorns will be going up against some heavy hitters. If he were making a decision today, I believe that Texas would be the pick but we will see how things shake out after the summer.

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Roach predicting ten defensive players in the class is something 

He did say

"These projections are based on our intel at the moment, and a total class projection is incomplete as there are some positions we can't clearly project anyone to right now."

Typical Roach, but at least it was intentional.

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

Roach predicting ten defensive players in the class is something 

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He did say

"These projections are based on our intel at the moment, and a total class projection is incomplete as there are some positions we can't clearly project anyone to right now."

Typical Roach, but at least it was intentional.

I've never read Roach since he's a know-nothing with no connections, but this one fascinates me. There won't be any problems staying at or below 85 scholarship players. It will be this staff's first true class. This guy doesn't think they'll take 25 or more guys? Or does he think they take a disproportionate number of offensive players? It's idiotic either way. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've never read Roach since he's a know-nothing with no connections, but this one fascinates me. There won't be any problems staying at or below 85 scholarship players. It will be this staff's first true class. This guy doesn't think they'll take 25 or more guys? Or does he think they take a disproportionate number of offensive players? It's idiotic either way. 

He doesn't feel comfortable predicting players in Texas' class unless he feels fairly confident that we have a chance with them. It would have been more useful if he at least predicted how many spots we would allocate per position, even if he didn't want to write names.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting