Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He doesn't feel comfortable predicting players in Texas' class unless he feels fairly confident that we have a chance with them. It would have been more useful if he at least predicted how many spots we would allocate per position, even if he didn't want to write names.

Good lord. That's even worse. He's too much of a pussy to produce the kind of content his readers actually expect him to create. He makes better predictions on his next meal, sight unseen. "I don't know how many appetizers are on Bucca di Beppo's dinner menu, but I bet I'm ordering all of them." This guy should at least be trying that hard to justify whatever the 247 clowns are paying him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

On the numbers thing, Fud’s the guy on the exact count, but it’s looking more and more likely we use all of our 2021 back counters on transfers so we’ll be hard capped at 25 for this class, barring games with greyshirts, enrolling late, etc. 

They'll just roll some of it forward to 2023 if they're feasting. I'm sure they'll figure it out. 

What's actually interesting for this cycle is how many actual scholarship players are on the roster once the fall season begins. Are we going to see a ton of attrition, or very little? Talent-wise, I don't feel like a ton of culling is needed, but attitude-wise could be a different story. I'm assuming we see 8-10 guys gone by September 4th, including Mitchell and Kennedy. Not hard to see a couple more WRs, a TE and then some random fuck-ups in the classroom or off the field. Obviously it doesn't matter with the 85 either way.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good lord. That's even worse. He's too much of a pussy to produce the kind of content his readers actually expect him to create. He makes better predictions on his next meal, sight unseen. "I don't know how many appetizers are on Bucca di Beppo's dinner menu, but I bet I'm ordering all of them." This guy should at least be trying that hard to justify whatever the 247 clowns are paying him.

I highly doubt his next comestible is ever, ever sight unseen. I imagine that the only technologically advanced aspect to Mike Roach's life is a highly detailed spreadsheet that he stores on his cloud, accessible from all 1.5 devices he owns, which chronicles in detail the time and location of his next food item, possibly with links to menus and pinned google map locations for restaurants and truck stops where he plans to load up. This guy probably recites every meal for the next 48-72 hours while he sleeps. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

They'll just roll some of it forward to 2023 if they're feasting. I'm sure they'll figure it out. 

What's actually interesting for this cycle is how many actual scholarship players are on the roster once the fall season begins. Are we going to see a ton of attrition, or very little? Talent-wise, I don't feel like a ton of culling is needed, but attitude-wise could be a different story. I'm assuming we see 8-10 guys gone by September 4th, including Mitchell and Kennedy. Not hard to see a couple more WRs, a TE and then some random fuck-ups in the classroom or off the field. Obviously it doesn't matter with the 85 either way.

It’s a lot harder to play games with rolling things forward if you’re not Bama or Clemson. I’ll never forget when Bama trap footed a 4 star, top 150 DE on NSD and he decided to stay and greyshirt. Unreal.

I’m also not sure we’ll be dominating in recruiting to a level where we feel limited by taking 25 so it’s probably a moot point. 

I don’t expect us to be at 85 in the Fall (outside of giving walk ons scholarships). The 2019 class was hit hard by attrition before Sark got here and 2020 and 2021 were small classes. I think we’ll be around 80 or 81 if we take the full 5 transfers that count as 2021 guys, and I expect we’ll see some attrition at WR, possibly Epps and then some unexpected attrition is possible too. 

One of the things that Bama seems to do, at least from what I can sense from reading their boards over the years, is have a couple of lower rated 3*s per class from families who can afford it walk-on for a year but not announce it publicly so as to allow those players to save face publicly

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Hasn't that already happened?  With Adeoye and Mitchell gone, I'm not sure who we have left that could transfer.

Owens, Tillman, Gbenda, Cooks, Harris, Ford, Blackwell, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other guys ... all while they scour the portal to get guys at LB. I would imagine the message is pretty clear to those guys. 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

One of the things that Bama seems to do, at least from what I can sense from reading their boards over the years, is have a couple of lower rated 3*s per class from families who can afford it walk-on for a year but not announce it publicly so as to allow those players to save face publicly

Bama is the master of playing roster games. 

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I mean, why not when you can.  I’m hoping Sark has learned from Saban how to keep talent coming and pushing the gray area.  

It's not so much gray area as being able to get good prospects to agree to not take a scholarship right away. It's a little harder to do that when you're not winning titles every other year. 

26 minutes ago, Fud said:

I thought we were doing this with Lourde but then we gave him a scholarship. I guess we had to since LSU was offering him a scholarhsip too.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's not so much gray area as being able to get good prospects to agree to not take a scholarship right away. It's a little harder to do that when you're not winning titles every other year. 

I thought we were doing this with Lourde but then we gave him a scholarship. I guess we had to since LSU was offering him a scholarhsip too.

Isn't Lourd a PWO?

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Isn't Lourd a PWO?

Yes, but I think he's a blueshirt, which means he would count as a signee for 2022, but we weren't up against the signing limit in 2021,  so the blueshirt seems pointless because he still affects our signing crunch for 2022.  If we were to wait two years to give him a scholarship, he wouldn't be a counter, but I dont think that was the plan when we got him.

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yes, but I think he's a blueshirt, which means he would count as a signee for 2022, but we weren't up against the signing limit in 2021,  so the blueshirt seems pointless because he still affects our signing crunch for 2022.  If we were to wait two years to give him a scholarship, he wouldn't be a counter, but I dont think that was the plan when we got him.

You only have to wait one year. I'm not sure if there's a term for walking on for a year and then getting on scholarship, but doing so allows you to avoid the 25 man, which is what he's likely doing, although that's not confirmed anywhere 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

You only have to wait one year. I'm not sure if there's a term for walking on for a year and then getting on scholarship, but doing so allows you to avoid the 25 man, which is what he's likely doing, although that's not confirmed anywhere 

Did that change?  I thought for a while the rule was two years, because we talked about that re Luke Brock and some other walk ons.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Did that change?  I thought for a while the rule was two years, because we talked about that re Luke Brock and some other walk ons.  

I used to think it was two years but at some point I got corrected while discussing numbers 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Fud said:

I used to think it was two years but at some point I got corrected while discussing numbers 

Got it. That makes it easier. With the transfer portal becoming more and more prevalent and those guys all being counters, the 25 rule will likely always be the limiting factor for us so we need to take as many blue shirts as possible. 

IT

Spoiler

PK AND FLOOD CLINICS

As we’ve been sharing, the new staff has been making inroads with the state’s high school coaches via video conference clinics. This past week, the two coordinators, Pete Kwiatkowski and Kyle Flood, shared their knowledge.

#####

Kwiatkowski was the best DL guy I've listened to in a clinic setting. He brought a lot of detail and expertise but has a plan to keep things relatively simple for his position group, which is the outside linebackers/ends.

The defense seems to rely a lot on the level of play he gets from that position group but he showed a lot of drills and spring cut-ups of their two-deep getting better. His ideal recruits are athletes above all else; he gave 6-3+ and 220+ as his ideal measurements. Kwiatkowski said he wants athleticism and pass-rush from those guys plus physical and mental toughness. He’ll mold the run-stopping techniques.

A lot of their run techniques were a little unique just because they box everything in with their ends. At times he'd show cut-ups of his ends two-gapping on the edge by either shoving a man inside or playing through multiple gaps on their way to the ball. It all made sense and was consistent but it's a different approach than you normally see in a 4-down defense. He was teaching them how to read and react on their way into the backfield every snap and giving them a few tools for how to react and win against different scenarios.

They had some edge blitzes they were working on where the ends would choose their path based on how the tackle dropped, either chasing him down the line or if he set to them making sure to cross their face so he would stay locked on them and not pick up the blitzer. A lot of the techniques would allow them to play like 3-4 outside linebackers but often perform the tasks of 4-3 defensive ends. For instance, against the zone-read he teaches them to always play the quarterback and keep the ball boxed in, even if the coverage gives them help outside. But some of their run defense techniques have them two-gapping on the edge.

His guys were doing a lot of damage in the spring cut-ups, both against the run game and against the pass. He had an example where Jacoby Jones beat Andrej Karic on the edge but attacked the wrong shoulder and allowed Hudson Card the space to dodge him and make a play.

Flood was terrific and detailed as well. He was praising the state of Texas for its offensive linemen and talked about some of the Texans he was coaching at Alabama when they won the national championship.

He talked a bit about recruiting and what he looks for from his guys. Flood wants length but he uses arm measurements and not wingspan, "the defender is in front of you not to the side." He also noted one of their best lineman doesn't have good length (probably Karic). He wants 33-inch arms for tackles and 32 inches for guards and centers.

Flood also categorized players as fitting into one of a few types: guys who can only play tackle who have length and athleticism but lack power to move inside; guys who can play tackle or guard; guys who have the power to play inside at guard but not the length to play outside; guys who have the power to play guard and the quickness and flexibility to play center; and then guys who have the flexibility to play center but not enough power or length to play guard or tackle. You need a mixture of all of them, can't get too many who fit into one category or you'll get into trouble.

Flood's drill work was also extensive and showed improvement from Texas' different players over the course of spring. He mentioned an approach to blocking linebackers coming off a combo block he got from Dante Scarnecchia of the Patriots and showed Denzel Okafor executing a perfect rep in a drill designed to teach it. Christian Jones came up an awful lot, often for minor technical issues that Flood would later show as being either corrected or getting better. From the clips, I see why they like Jones; moves well, can bend, and is massive.

They're teaching these kids a ton, "the option is the only thing we don't do." Flood said they emphasize "this is the same as" a lot when teaching different schemes and situations so there's overlap and the players are able to absorb and master more information.

Flood seemed to genuinely feel they have a lot of promising athletes on the offensive line, they just need to whip some of their techniques into shape. It seems like they'll rely on the run game to help set up the offense and to help them out in pass protection.

RECRUITING

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie (2022)

The big man from Bowie High School had one goal at the area track meet; advance. He finished third in the shot put with a personal record 47-11.75 throw and moved on to the regional meet this week.

“My goal was to make it to regionals and I did that today,” said Campbell. “The winner threw it 48 feet, and I was at 47. I was close.”

Campbell’s recruitment continues to look good for Texas. He’s building his relationship with Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood, and knows a handful of the players including Bowie alum Tope Imade. He hit the ATX last weekend for a student trip.

“My trip to Austin was fun,” Campbell said. “I toured the campus, trying to get used to the campus. I’ll see Texas again for the spring game, and maybe an official during the season.”

He has other trips planned, namely Oklahoma and Southern Cal.

“I’ll see OU and USC,” said Campbell. “Think USC is June 4th weekend. Coach Carrington can’t wait to see me out there.”

As of now, those three schools seem to be near the top of his list. Adding an elite offensive lineman in the 2022 class is imperative and the Longhorns continue to set the pace.

OLB Derrick Brown, Texas High (2022)

At 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds, it’s easy to see why the four-star has garnered so much attention over the last six months. With 27 offers including OU, Texas A&M, and Arizona State, Brown has scheduled his officials and is ready to enjoy this part of the process.

First up: Texas.

“That relationship is getting tight,” said Brown. “Tighter every day. We stay in touch almost every day. Making sure I’m okay, checking on my family. I really like that part. I talk to Coach Gideon, (Chris) Gilbert, Coach Choate, and Coach PK the most. They see me as a (jack) right now.”

Texas A&M is next on June 18th-20th.

“Coach (Terry) Price is letting it be known he really wants me there,” Brown said. “He calls me every other day and loves talking about BBQ.”

Next up: Baylor (June 25th-27th):

“Baylor has been on me since before I received my first offer,” said Brown. “When me and Clayton (Smith) visited there a long time ago, they’ve been on me since.”

Then OU in September.

“I’ll be going for the Nebraska game,” Brown said. “I might be in Norman on June 12th for the cookout and see Clayton. He tells me every time we talk that I’m going to OU. He tells me I don’t have a choice.”

For Brown, there’s a sense Texas has surged past OU, and that it’s currently coming down to UT and A&M. He wants to make a decision after his visits, and I fully expect him to be committed before he begins his senior year.

Hypothetically, if Sarkisian is UT’s coach last fall, Clayton Smith is probably a Longhorn. That’s the difference in the old and new football staffs at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, TXRed said:

I’m not sure if SI articles are worth anything, but they’re reporting that the contact between Ewers and Sark has been “minimal.” 

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/longhorns-and-top-qb-quinn-ewers-have-had-minimal-contact?fbclid=IwAR07EaI0B3N9H_VTcwZIeDz6t6TFCpq_dRVCxTwYN4NqJx2ykM2rrRPZA5U

Ewers himself: "Not too much no," Ewers said when asked about his contact with the Longhorns. "minimal (communication).""

The quote is presented in the context of the communication being minimal with "the Longhorns," not only Sark. How accurate that part is, who knows. 

Edited by UncleBuck

2 minutes ago, TXRed said:

I’m not sure if SI articles are worth anything, but they’re reporting that the contact between Ewers and Sark has been “minimal.” 

https://www.si.com/college/texas/news/longhorns-and-top-qb-quinn-ewers-have-had-minimal-contact?fbclid=IwAR07EaI0B3N9H_VTcwZIeDz6t6TFCpq_dRVCxTwYN4NqJx2ykM2rrRPZA5U

I mean he's committed to another program, told us no already.  We also have another QB committed in this class that is recruiting for us.  Reading the tea leaves, it seems like Sark conveyed to Ewers that we had another QB ready to commit and they wanted to know where he stood.  Ewers probably said he's good with his commitment to tOSU.  Sark probably then told him to let him know if/when he changes his mind.  So yeah, I figured they'll probably have minimal contact and I'm guessing that will only change if we blow the doors open this fall with a bombass offense or if tOSU tanks for whatever reason.  Until either of those happen, Ewers to Texas is wishful thinking.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I mean he's committed to another program, told us no already.  We also have another QB committed in this class that is recruiting for us.  Reading the tea leaves, it seems like Sark conveyed to Ewers that we had another QB ready to commit and they wanted to know where he stood.  Ewers probably said he's good with his commitment to tOSU.  Sark probably then told him to let him know if/when he changes his mind.  So yeah, I figured they'll probably have minimal contact and I'm guessing that will only change if we blow the doors open this fall with a bombass offense or if tOSU tanks for whatever reason.  Until either of those happen, Ewers to Texas is wishful thinking.

Obviously it should be assumed, but any quote about the situation directly from the players face is > nada. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Have you ever heard him on a podcast? It’s hard to even follow his words through all of the mouth breathing. I’m waiting for the new story to break one day about a Texas football recruiting analyst that had a cardiac event in a recording studio. 

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I highly doubt his next comestible is ever, ever sight unseen. I imagine that the only technologically advanced aspect to Mike Roach's life is a highly detailed spreadsheet that he stores on his cloud, accessible from all 1.5 devices he owns, which chronicles in detail the time and location of his next food item, possibly with links to menus and pinned google map locations for restaurants and truck stops where he plans to load up. This guy probably recites every meal for the next 48-72 hours while he sleeps. 

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

There is no food in Texarkana or the surrounding area,  that will change anyone's life. 

It's going to be fucking Naaman's BBQ - what the fuck else could it be? the Dixie Diner or Mother Kelly's is about it and none of them are average much less life changing. 

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting