Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

If there is some life changing food in Texarkana I would love to know about it. My guess is Zapatas or Naamans.

Edit: too slow. The cheesy corn is not fucking incredible in any universe. I’ve heard damn good things about the chicken fried ribeye. The corn is very meh to me.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

hahah - it was Naaman's but he didn't even have the BBQ. fucking Roach...  

That’s a great recommendation for anyone looking to need a full stint before the age of 50. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Haha 3

Wells

Spoiler

WR/CB Isaiah Bond, Buford, GA (2022):

UT's offer to the Georgia-bred speedster from Derrian Brown's part of the state was a pleasant surprise.

At 6-foot, 180 pounds, the athletic receiver/corner was so happy with his Texas offer, it didn't take long to schedule his official visit. He's set to see the ATX on June 25th-27th, after a trip to Florida on June 4th-6th. He dropped a top 5 on March 15th of Alabama, Georgia, Wisconsin, Miami, and Pitt. But with recruiting, things can change fast.

“(Texas') message was that I really could be perfect in their program," said Bond. "Seeing Austin will be fun. They have rich tradition and program.”

Bond has a 10.59 100m, according to MileSplit, which isn't hard to believe when you watch his tape. He can play on either side of the ball, but it appears that corner might be where he's maximized most.

Getting him to Austin will be big. Sources indicate Georgia and UF look really good at this time, but he has no problem playing far from home. Just like Derrian Brown.

5 hours ago, EE2B said:

If there is some life changing food in Texarkana I would love to know about it. My guess is Zapatas or Naamans.

Edit: too slow. The cheesy corn is not fucking incredible in any universe. I’ve heard damn good things about the chicken fried ribeye. The corn is very meh to me.

“Life changing” doesn’t necessarily mean for the better, so there probably is some life changing food out there. 

6 hours ago, golfclap said:

hahah - it was Naaman's but he didn't even have the BBQ. fucking Roach...  

I have only had chicken fried ribeye once in my life and it was in downtown OKC of all places. It had jalapeño in the gravy and was probably in the top ten best things I have eaten.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jinx said:

I have only had chicken fried ribeye once in my life and it was in downtown OKC of all places. It had jalapeño in the gravy and was probably in the top ten best things I have eaten.

Anything chicken fried that lacks jalapeno in the gravy is akin to drinking single malt without adorning it with a single drop of water.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

“It’s definitely different now,” one former player said of the change from Tom Herman’s group to that of Steve Sarkisian. “Before they’d have some guys like (Bryan) Carrington calling individuals, but it was never as coordinated as this. I mean, it’s full-on every, single second.”

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 6

Vogel

Spoiler

With the spring game this weekend, it’s no surprise to anyone that it’ll be a big weekend for many commits to get a glimpse of the Steve Sarkisian era in action for the first time.

We have been able to confirm that a few Texas commits in the 2022 class will be in attendance this weekend.

*** Arlington Martin LB Trevell Johnson will be making the trip south with high school teammate and Texas signee Morice Blackwell. The two are set to reunite as teammates once again following the end of this cycle.

Another Martin Warrior that is on the radar is 2023 CB Javien Toviano. He, however, is headed to College Station.

*** As K noted earlier in the week, Junipero Serra QB Maalik Murphy is set to make the trip to Austin once again. Murphy last visited in February for a throwing session and unofficial visit.

*** And Aledo DB Bryan Allen Jr. is currently scheduled to be in Austin as well. Allen has been very vocal on Twitter since going public with his Texas commitment on February 28.

3 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Remember when people were crying and bitching after Sark’s first week on the job that he wasn’t putting together an adequate recruiting support staff fast enough...

Dunk on that thinking all you want. But, the same people that are going to dunk on this are the ones who, for 10 years, assumed "the staff has it under control" while the cfb world passed by. Maybe it's fair not to assume. Especially when you have an understanding of how elite programs evaluate and recruit and you look around and think, this ain't it. Dunk away, but it was a fair criticism in context. 

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Burton

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve spoken to three former players and onlookers from Saturday’s scrimmage. While each of their views of the scrimmage understandably varied, one aspect of the event did not.

They all remarked that Texas’ recruiting support staff is extremely busy during the practices.

How busy?

I am told they are calling recruits on the phone non-stop. Whether it’s use of FaceTime or introducing them to certain coaches or personnel, it’s a non-stop barrage of recruiting.

And it’s not just one or two of these support staffers, but multiple personnel, like 5 or more by one person’s count.

“It’s definitely different now,” one former player said of the change from Tom Herman’s group to that of Steve Sarkisian. “Before they’d have some guys like (Bryan) Carrington calling individuals, but it was never as coordinated as this. I mean, it’s full-on every, single second.”

Another individual recounted a specific instance from a season ago that shines another light on a difference in approach.

Last year, former defensive coordinator Chris Ash did not like Texas’ recruiting personnel filming and talking on the phone with recruits during pre-game (remember, last year many recruits could not attend games). Ash felt it was an unnecessary distraction and told staffers to stop it and that “we don’t do that around here.”

I am told that Sarkisian’s approach to this aspect of recruiting is straight out of Nick Saban’s playbook. It’s a system replete with thoroughness and carries with it the authority of the head coach. What’s more, it does not rely on any single individual to shoulder the burden of being a primary recruiter of too many players (as was the case with Carrington under Herman).

“I don’t know what all those people do, but they were either talking to a recruit, or dialing one on their phones,” the former player said of the staffers at practice. “It was like a controlled sideshow of the main event (the scrimmage itself).”

Omg we are actually emphasizing recruiting again. What a concept. That blurb about Chris Ash, who I actually thought did a pretty good job, shows the meat head mentality of the previous regime. "We don't do that around here." Well maybe if you did you wouldn't have coach up so many guys who weren't good enough to play at Bama. 

I've said it before but the last two guys made this job a lot more difficult than it ever needed to be. Hire great coordinators and assistant coaches, and recruit like a motherfucker. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Omg we are actually emphasizing recruiting again. What a concept. That blurb about Chris Ash, who I actually thought did a pretty good job, shows the meat head mentality of the previous regime. "We don't do that around here." Well maybe if you did you wouldn't have coach up so many guys who weren't good enough to play at Bama. 

I've said it before but the last two guys made this job a lot more difficult than it ever needed to be. Hire great coordinators and assistant coaches, and recruit like a motherfucker. 

this is the kind of thing you can say when you are Bama or Clemson or tOSU.

i think Strong could have been ok but was set up to fail from the start with Steve fucking Patterson hiring the guy and then not setting up the support structure around him.

"making the job a lot more difficult than it ever needed to be is Tom Herman's middle name.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think Strong could have been ok but was set up to fail from the start with Steve fucking Patterson hiring the guy and then not setting up the support structure around him.

"making the job a lot more difficult than it ever needed to be is Tom Herman's middle name.

I'd bet $100 that Saban and Dabo have a fleet of recruiting apparatchiks running around their sidelines just like we do now. That reeks of late-Urban tOSU.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

Bullshit. There is nothing in Strong's history at UT that would suggest if he had some additional help that he would have been successful. He didn't even know what to ask for.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Bullshit. There is nothing in Strong's history at UT that would suggest if he had some additional help that he would have been successful. He didn't even know what to ask for.

there is no reason both of those things can't be accurate.

he didn't maximize his opportunities, sure. but he didn't get stuff he asked for that were smaller requests anyway.

the issues started with Patterson and flowed downhill from there.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, NoName said:

there is no reason both of those things can't be accurate.

he didn't maximize his opportunities, sure. but he didn't get stuff he asked for that were smaller requests anyway.

the issues started with Patterson and flowed downhill from there.

Strong seemed to be set up for success at USF. How did that go? 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

You’re a good poster, but the Strong part is just wrong. That guy was a fucking dumbass and in over his head from day one. He failed on every front and more help wasn’t going to solve it. Like any bad management hire, simply surrounding him with more resources and people would have only created a costlier mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Dunk on that thinking all you want. But, the same people that are going to dunk on this are the ones who, for 10 years, assumed "the staff has it under control" while the cfb world passed by. Maybe it's fair not to assume. Especially when you have an understanding of how elite programs evaluate and recruit and you look around and think, this ain't it. Dunk away, but it was a fair criticism in context. 

Honestly it was just how quickly people rushed to judgement on it, he was less than 2 weeks into the job 1 of which he spent preparing for a national title game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

You just really don't want to let the Higdon sock speculation die, do you?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

Roach

Spoiler

— I spoke with Lake Charles (LA.) College Prep running back TreVonte' Citizen today and he's set to see Texas June 4th for an official visit. The four-star back has the Longhorns in his top group of schools and has been in steady contact with the coaching staff. LSU is the current leader on the 247Sports Crystal Ball and it's always tough to pull a Louisiana kid away from the Tigers. That said, Texas has been putting in a lot of work on this recruitment and there's always a chance once a guy is there for a visit.

— I've been able to gather some intel from coaches when it comes to how things are going with the new Texas staff. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, Steve Sarkisian has been calling a few coaches each day to reach out and bridge the gap. Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert has been pivotal in helping Sark connect with those coaches, but Sarkisian's laid-back approach has been praised. One coach I spoke with said he was really easy to talk to and did way more listening than talking on the call. Sarkisian expressed an open door and the willingness to take feedback and build genuine relationships with the coaches. The responses have been positive and one prominent high school coach said he was fired up, "for the first time in years" to see what was happening at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Another individual recounted a specific instance from a season ago that shines another light on a difference in approach.

Last year, former defensive coordinator Chris Ash did not like Texas’ recruiting personnel filming and talking on the phone with recruits during pre-game (remember, last year many recruits could not attend games). Ash felt it was an unnecessary distraction and told staffers to stop it

I know everyone wants only the KoolAid so I probably shouldn't comment but an anecdotal story about Ash not wanting filming going on during pre-game being compared to a closed-to-the-public spring practice is absolute nonsense. Ash is a meat head but I am also 100% on board with pregame being about getting your mind fucking right and that absolutely includes eliminating distractions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I know everyone wants only the KoolAid so I probably shouldn't comment but an anecdotal story about Ash not wanting filming going on during pre-game being compared to a closed-to-the-public spring practice is absolute nonsense. Ash is a meat head but I am also 100% on board with pregame being about getting your mind fucking right and that absolutely includes eliminating distractions. 

Shut the fuck up, Eeyore. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting