Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I read this thread and think maybe i've had enough of this life.  So much hate.  No shiny happy people, anywhere.   Over the minutest things, everyone letting go.  Why do they argue and post so bad?  Someone mentions REM and its as if its the end of the world as we know it. Then i remember.   Everybody hurts, sometimes.  I gather myself.  I remember for every night there is morning.  The time for the men of the moon shall pass.  Dawn is coming full circle and with it morning and more talk of Texas Football Recruiting, the one i love.          

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I read this thread and think maybe i've had enough of this life.  So much hate.  No shiny happy people, anywhere.   Over the minutest things, everyone letting go.  Why do they argue and post so bad?  Someone mentions REM and its as if its the end of the world as we know it. Then i remember.   Everybody hurts, sometimes.  I gather myself.  I remember for every night there is morning.  The time for the men of the moon shall pass.  Dawn is coming full circle and with it morning and more talk of Texas Football Recruiting, the one i love.          

Sometimes you just gotta take a stand in the place where you live. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hey man, they’ve got some jams. I wouldn’t say I’m a fan. But I can respect game and talent. And REM has none. 

I like you, Sydney, but gotdamn.  Waterloo is all right (due mainly to the Rachmaninoff-influenced piano theatrics) and Knowing Me, Knowing You is mostly salvaged by the Bergmanesque video that accompanied its release.  The rest of their oeuvre is what plays in the anteroom of the 9th Level of Hell to prep you for an eternity of cultivating in an ice and shit terroir. 

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It's clear you woke up mid-morning in a pool of your own dried vomit, stripped your head from the sticky carpet, wrote off work and hygiene immediately, cracked open a new tall boy, and decided that you were going to smear your stenchy personal ineptitude all over this thread and several others throughout the day. 

Welcome to my Covid-era life.

8 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

He's on the team. 

Landing Brooks after he washed out at LSU isn't evidence that TCU will land an elite defensive recruit who can pick any school in the country to play at. I said recruit for a reason. Eric Monroe transferring from LSU to Texas Tech doesn't mean that Texas Tech is going to start landing .97+ composite defensive players. 

41 minutes ago, Fud said:

Landing Brooks after he washed out at LSU isn't evidence that TCU will land an elite defensive recruit who can pick any school in the country to play at. I said recruit for a reason. Eric Monroe transferring from LSU to Texas Tech doesn't mean that Texas Tech is going to start landing .97+ composite defensive players. 

Look man, NorlaHorn was lucid enough to remember that Brooks not only transferred there, but that he was also on the team. That’s progress. 

• Hook 'Em 1

(Mike Roach) Breakfast Bites: Latest on two 2022 OL targets

Spoiler

— The race for Humble Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry is heating up. The four-star prospect recently named a Top 5 of Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Alabama and Oklahoma. When I spoke to him yesterday, Dewberry told me there's no program recruiting him harder than Texas at this point. The Longhorns have been making a massive push under Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian, and Dewberry is responding to it. He only has two official visits scheduled at the moment, but he's in the process of scheduling others. Texas A&M will get the first trip on June 18 and Ohio State will get theirs the week after. Dewberry said he intends to get to Texas unofficially in the summer and set up a fall official with the Longhorns, Sooners and Crimson Tide. It's amazing to see the progress Texas made in this recruitment, and I think they right up there with A&M for his services. Though I once thought this would be an in-state battle, I now think Dewberry is ok with leaving home. Alabama and Ohio State are very strong contenders, so it's going to be a tough battle down the stretch. I think Texas has done a good job with Kyle Flood leading the way, but the ghosts of the past are haunting them a bit. The Longhorns are going to have to show some results this fall to win some of these battles.

— Humble Summer Creek offensive lineman Kelvin Banks also spoke very highly of Texas when I caught up with him. The Longhorns have been doing a great job flipping momentum in this one with Kyle Flood leading the charge. Banks has all of his visits set up for the summer with an eye on making the call before his senior season. One source I spoke with at Summer Creek told me that Texas is in as good of a position as anyone for Banks, but another I spoke with cautioned that Texas A&M and LSU would have something to say in the end. There is plenty of confidence in Austin, and true separation will likely happen during summer visits. Banks and Dewberry discussed playing with one another at the next level, but Banks said they are both going to make the decision that's right for them.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

(Mike Roach) Breakfast Bites: Latest on two 2022 OL targets

Hide contents

— The race for Humble Atascocita offensive lineman Kam Dewberry is heating up. The four-star prospect recently named a Top 5 of Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Alabama and Oklahoma. When I spoke to him yesterday, Dewberry told me there's no program recruiting him harder than Texas at this point. The Longhorns have been making a massive push under Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian, and Dewberry is responding to it. He only has two official visits scheduled at the moment, but he's in the process of scheduling others. Texas A&M will get the first trip on June 18 and Ohio State will get theirs the week after. Dewberry said he intends to get to Texas unofficially in the summer and set up a fall official with the Longhorns, Sooners and Crimson Tide. It's amazing to see the progress Texas made in this recruitment, and I think they right up there with A&M for his services. Though I once thought this would be an in-state battle, I now think Dewberry is ok with leaving home. Alabama and Ohio State are very strong contenders, so it's going to be a tough battle down the stretch. I think Texas has done a good job with Kyle Flood leading the way, but the ghosts of the past are haunting them a bit. The Longhorns are going to have to show some results this fall to win some of these battles.

— Humble Summer Creek offensive lineman Kelvin Banks also spoke very highly of Texas when I caught up with him. The Longhorns have been doing a great job flipping momentum in this one with Kyle Flood leading the charge. Banks has all of his visits set up for the summer with an eye on making the call before his senior season. One source I spoke with at Summer Creek told me that Texas is in as good of a position as anyone for Banks, but another I spoke with cautioned that Texas A&M and LSU would have something to say in the end. There is plenty of confidence in Austin, and true separation will likely happen during summer visits. Banks and Dewberry discussed playing with one another at the next level, but Banks said they are both going to make the decision that's right for them.

I'm sure he means "Breakfast Buffet"

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You guys know why there is a music board on this forum? Because people who want to discuss music can go there to discuss music. Please go there. Now. And don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you. All of you fucking suck. GTFO.

So basically, brakes?

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

You guys know why there is a music board on this forum? Because people who want to discuss music can go there to discuss music. Please go there. Now. And don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you. All of you fucking suck. GTFO.

E41508C0-BA06-463D-B2DF-90CFC541CAB3.gif

(Gerry Hamilton) Premium position wins are a must in the 2022 class

Spoiler

Premium position wins are a must in the 2022 class

The Texas 2022 class is off to a quality start. With the addition of defensive lineman Zac Swanson on Monday ,there are eight commitments in the class, including seven four-star prospects.

While the staff continues to try and make moves towards keeping the best prospects in state, there are certain prospects that fall into the “must get” category and players at premium positions that will be the difference between signing a top 5 class and a top 15 class.

One of the most important prospects in the 2022 cycle is in the “must get” category, but is not a premium position player — guard Devon Campbell.

Today, IT lists the seven in-state premium position targets that will be the difference in where the Texas class sits in December and February.

QB Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll
The Ohio State verbal continues to be pursued by Texas, and the communication has happened since the hire of Steve Sarkisian. Flipping Ewers would not only mean a key momentum swinging win for the new staff, but open up legit top 5 class ability.

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty
Texas picking up Xavier Worthy to close out the 2021 class was a massive win at a premium position. While Worthy’s speed fills a huge need in the program, getting Evan Stewart in the class behind would set up the Texas offense to have a pair of legit difference making speed receivers to place real pressure on future defenses.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
This is a recruitment that IT believes Texas has a nice lead for over Texas A&M and LSU. While there are a number of very talented offensive tackles on the board, Banks falls into the “must get” category due to being an in-state tackle that the Longhorns lead for.

CB Denver Harris, North Shore
This is another in the “must get” category for the new staff. Harris has been to Austin plenty, the “champion” likes the idea of Texas and Harris is an elite corner prospect. Nick Saban is all in here, but a battle for an elite cornerback should come down to staying in state or heading to the best program in college football. A win by the Texas staff here can begin to change the perception.

CB Terrance Brooks, Plano John Paul II
Like Harris, Brooks is an elite prospect. Add in that Brooks has versatility with the ability to play corner and he’s a wanted man by Alabama, Texas A&M, Florida and many others. Brooks has near 6-foot-0 height, a 79-inch wingspan, terrific feet, good speed and the mental portion in spades.

CB/N Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook
Anderson is a third elite DB prospect in the state in the 2022 cycle that could end up being a difference maker at corner or nickel. Texas has led here for a while, and now must close this recruitment out following June OV’s.

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High
Brown makes the list because he is an EDGE prospect wanted by Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M . That alone places him on the list as this is one of the battles in the 2022 cycle that involves the trio of recruiting powers that live off of Texas talent. The Longhorns have made up ground here in recent weeks.

*Texas will not win all seven of these recruitments, but the staff needs to win four to build the desired momentum moving forward inside the state lines.

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

*Texas will not win all seven of these recruitments, but the staff needs to win four to build the desired momentum moving forward inside the state lines.

I guess Stewart, Banks, Harris, and Anderson. One of Brooks/Harris will likely head out of state. Ewers isn't even worth fielding a guess - he'll flip or he won't and that's about all the mental energy I can justify putting into that. 

(Eric Nahlin) Texas and the post-NFL draft lull: Schools don’t develop players, coaches do

Spoiler

Texas shouldn’t feel the effects of the seemingly annual poor NFL draft showing that leads to a noticeable recruiting malaise. That’s opinion, not fact, but I’ll state my case below.

First, let’s set the table from Monday’s press conference.

IT: NFL draft is this week, and that's a huge piece of the recruiting puzzle. How much do you sell guys like Mac, Jalen, Najee, and also come to Texas and have to talk about guys like Sam Ehlinger, Caden Sterns, Sam Cosmi, all those guys. How do you approach that on the trail?

Sark: It's kind of interesting, especially in year one when you come in because it's not my place to sell other players from another program if that makes sense. But I also sometimes feel uncomfortable selling players that I didn't coach that were here. I'm a little bit caught in the middle in year one, so we really sell ourselves. We sell the university. We sell the schemes that we have. Now, if a player has similar traits to a player that we've coached, yes, we talk about that player. But we don't really make it a point early on just to say 'come here and be like X Y or Z.' It's more about ‘here's our style of play; here’s our schemes; here’s our approach to coaching. This guy, X Y or Z, benefitted from it this way or that way.' But I do enjoy the draft. I enjoy watching the draft. I was talking to a guy today, it's pretty amazing to think that the University of Texas, I think, will probably have at minimum six guys drafted in this draft coming up. That's a lot of players getting drafted in the NFL Draft. It's a credit to those kids and the hard work they've put in, and hopefully we can continue down that road of players having success and getting drafted into the NFL.

”I’m a little bit caught in the middle in year one, so we really sell ourselves.”

We have a winner, and I mean that both ways; that’s the correct approach, and Sark is a winner. He’s not Nick Saban, and he can’t take credit for Alabama’s overall success when recruiting prospects, but he can absolutely sell the value he personally brought from a schematic, development, and deployment standpoint to a number of players.

We all know the names: By Thursday night, receivers Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle, and Heisman winner DeVonta Smith will have all been drafted in the first round. Quarterback Mac Jones could possibly be drafted as high as #3 (I can see Kyle Shanahan taking him). If you knew Mac Jones as a recruit, that’s extremely impressive.

Offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Kyle Flood can sell the same, as can defensive coordinator and outside linebacker coach Pete Kwiatkowski.

Let’s take a look at players of note in the top-50 in Dane Brugler’s ‘Beast’ draft guide.

6. WR Jaylen Waddle, Alabama: Sarkisian can sell deployment, as well as numerous wide receivers being featured at once, especially dating back to last season when Waddle was the #3 option. Texas didn’t get Waddle, but maybe he’ll unwittingly help Texas get the next version.

9. WR DeVonta Smith, Alabama: Sarkisian can sell deployment, as well as having a stick figure raise the Heisman above his head. Smith was the #4 WR just a season ago. Like with Mac Jones, Sark can also sell biding your time and trusting the process.

21. OC/OG Landon Dickerson, Alabama: His ability to stay healthy coincided to grad-transferring from Florida State to Bama, where he had two healthy seasons until yet another ACL injury in the SEC championship game. He was always talented but became a high draft pick under Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian. His move to center also increased his value.

23. RB Najee Harris, Alabama: Sarkisian didn’t recruit Harris but he can certainly sell the ability to feed a feature back within an offense more known for passing. Much of that passing went to Harris as he collected 70 passes in his final two seasons after only 10 in (albeit a more limited role) his first two seasons. Harris also excelled in a number of run schemes, a good reflection on both Sarkisian and Flood.

25. QB Mac Jones, Alabama: Jones had ‘good athlete’, not ‘explosive athlete’ traits coming out of high school. That’s why you were able to see him use his legs at times. These players, who excel in a number of sports despite not being explosive, are always difficult to evaluate until after the fact. They present more ability to work with than meets the eye. Jones was a quality tennis player like both of his parents. That will tell you he had foot quickness, spatial awareness, and I’m pretty sure some accuracy traits show up as well — having your body in the right position to execute a play is imperative. Sarikisian had more to work with than meets the eye, but recruits don’t have to know that! Jones was a facilitator rather than creator in college which means he was the paint brush rather than the painter for Sark’s art. He’ll be the same in the NFL if Kyle Shanahan drafts him, but that’s a big compliment. Jones took Sark’s script and brought it alive on the big screen.

29. DT Levi Onwuzurike, Washington: Texas missed here in 2016 because of a bad evaluation (think about how bad that cycle’s d-line evals were. On second thought, don’t). Meanwhile, Washington hit here because of a great evaluation. Notably, Pete Kwiatkowski knew where Onwuzurike’s frame was going. He was similar to Ta’Quon Graham in his evolution but a better player. Per Brugler, PK won this recruitment by visiting Onwuzurike six weekends in a row. Incels don’t even do that when they finally get a girlfriend. The academic side of Washington also appealed to him. Landing and developing Onwuzurike is a huge feather in the new Texas DC’s cap. And if he really visited Levi six weekends in a row, it underlines how aggressively he pursues prospects he covets.

32. EDGE Joe Tryon, Washington: A late bloomer, he was committed to Washington State until Washington flipped him late. He opted out this season and only started 14 times in his Washington career, but he would have become a more national name had he played this past season. Tryon was coached and deployed by Pete Kwiatkowski. EDGE is a major position of need and Tryon would have made for a better sell to Derrick Brown and others like the Texas High standout, but if he goes in the first the point will have been made. Then PK can say, think what I could have done with him in 10 more starts.

34. OG Alex Leatherwood, Alabama: He went from Second Team SEC right guard in 2018 to first team SEC left tackle in his first year under Flood. In his second year under Flood he was a unanimous All American and Outland Trophy winner. That’s the progression you expect to see under quality coaching. Yes, Flood was gifted an elite talent to work with, but he definitely improved Leatherwood.

38. OT Sam Cosmi, Texas: Hopefully a team will fall in love with Cosmi’s remaining untapped potential and upside and he sneaks into the first. This is all about perception because the current staff had nothing to do with evaluating, developing, or deploying him.

45. DB Elijah Molden, Washington: An Oregonian and the son of Duck great Alex Molden chose Washington to the shock of everyone. That had more to do with Jimmy Lake than Kwiatkowski, but the physical and instinctive Molden became the embodiment of the U-Dub defense and is a good sell for nickel. You need tape to sell kids who visit and Molden provides PK that.

47. EDGE Joseph Ossai, Texas: Ditto what was written about Cosmi. Ossai has a very high floor and I think he bends better than the current consensus on him, or at least has it in him. I know what I saw of him while he was at Oak Ridge.

A couple of quick takeaways

— In Brugler’s top-50, Alabama is represented by six offensive players and just two defensive players (the same number as PK). The two defensive players are CB Patrick Surtain, who was a born an NFL corner, and DT Christian Barmore. We already knew this, but Alabama is driven by offense now. Saban’s fingerprints are still all over the program, but Sarkisian proved to be a key accomplice.

— Kwiatkowski is the total package when it comes to evaluating players and having an executable plan for them. Having two potential first-rounders is a gift in the first class to help him make his case. Kris Ross and Zac Swanson are a very good start. Ross is probably elite with some development. It’s time to use Tryon to land some much-needed EDGE players. Also recall, Washington became the favorite for eventual 2021 Texas signee David Abiara, so we’ve seen his sell in action already.

Three reasons Texas is much more difficult to negative recruit

1. Individual coaching success at positions of importance as outlined above.

2. The schools that would most effectively negative recruit Texas aren’t in their typical position to do so.

LSU is currently in a world of hurt in every way imaginable: on the field; with the coaching staff; legally.

A&M had a good season but isn’t exactly striking gold on the recruiting front. With the new staff, Texas jumped in front of the Ags for Bryan Allen and Bryce Anderson (two players who committed to LSU after the 2020 NFL Draft), as well as Kelvin Banks.

All the coaches at Alabama who typically recruit Texas are....at Texas. That even includes defensive tackles coach Bo Davis who was employed by Nick Saban for a decade at three spots, four if you count Bama twice. It seems like Saban signs off on UT’s defensive tackles coach and he’ll be difficult to negative recruit. Saban is still the GOAT but Texas is in much better position than it‘s been in years past to punch back on narratives.

Oklahoma’s sell of a prolific offense is mitigated by what Sarkisian and Flood accomplished the last two years with quarterback, running back, offensive line, and most notably, wide receiver play.

3. Texas will have a more robust June visit schedule than it’s ever had. Seeing prospects in person and firming up relationships is how you build the sort of trust necessary to overcome negative pitches.

The new car smell is still a thing, even if Covid served as a governor. The governor will be lifted once visits are fully restored.

(Super K) Jacoby Mathews Still Visiting

Spoiler

As you know, 2022 5-star DB, Jacoby Mathews recently committed to LSU.

***Prior to his commitment, Mathews’s father told me he had a top two. I think it’s safe to say that the two are LSU and Texas.

***Texas has quite a few things working in their favor…

***Mathews has close family in Texas.

***Perhaps Mathews’s favorite game experience was at DKR when he was in 8th grade.

***Mathews has told me that as a place to live and as a state in general, he prefers the state of Texas over any of the states where the other programs are located.

***Additionally, Jacoby and his father mentioned that leaving the state would be preferable in order to help maintain focus.

***Jacoby also sees Texas as the best school in terms of what it can offer outside of football and after football.

***Mathews’ head coach was also Terry Joseph’s head coach. He’s known both Joseph and Gideon for a while.

***But, as I previously noted, Jacoby had told me that the person in recruiting he was closest to was Mason Smith who was until about a week ago a recruiting specialist at Mississippi State. Because Smith was at Mississippi State, I didn’t think much of his connection with Smith. But, as soon as I saw him get hired by LSU last week, I started thinking…uh oh. A few hours later, Jacoby was committed.

***Now then, Jacoby’s father tells me that they will still be taking their official visit to Texas. I know that Jacoby has spoken at length about how much he likes the state of Texas and I am still very curious to see how he feels after he’s seen all the shiny things at Texas and in Austin versus a place like LSU and Baton Rouge. He’s been pretty open about the fact that that stuff matters to him. And by “stuff” I mean, a nicer place to live and a place that can set you up to be successful outside of football so you can continue living in that place.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

***Prior to his commitment, Mathews’s father told me he had a top two. I think it’s safe to say that the two are LSU and Texas.

***Perhaps Mathews’s favorite game experience was at DKR when he was in 8th grade.

***Mathews has told me that as a place to live and as a state in general, he prefers the state of Texas over any of the states where the other programs are located.

***Additionally, Jacoby and his father mentioned that leaving the state would be preferable in order to help maintain focus.

***Jacoby also sees Texas as the best school in terms of what it can offer outside of football and after football.

***Mathews’ head coach was also Terry Joseph’s head coach. He’s known both Joseph and Gideon for a while.

***But, as I previously noted, Jacoby had told me that the person in recruiting he was closest to was Mason Smith who was until about a week ago a recruiting specialist at Mississippi State. Because Smith was at Mississippi State, I didn’t think much of his connection with Smith. But, as soon as I saw him get hired by LSU last week, I started thinking…uh oh. A few hours later, Jacoby was committed.

***Now then, Jacoby’s father tells me that they will still be taking their official visit to Texas. I know that Jacoby has spoken at length about how much he likes the state of Texas and I am still very curious to see how he feels after he’s seen all the shiny things at Texas and in Austin versus a place like LSU and Baton Rouge. He’s been pretty open about the fact that that stuff matters to him. And by “stuff” I mean, a nicer place to live and a place that can set you up to be successful outside of football so you can continue living in that place.

So having close family in Texas is favorable but leaving the state is preferable  🤔 makes perfect sense 

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not too mention the very real possibility that no one currently involved with football at LSU will be there in June of 2022.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting