Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

46 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I guess Stewart, Banks, Harris, and Anderson. One of Brooks/Harris will likely head out of state. Ewers isn't even worth fielding a guess - he'll flip or he won't and that's about all the mental energy I can justify putting into that. 

Spoiler

image.png.1cd12c1f3aeba73802c8992077429a68.png

Fucking Saban, Harris and Brooks at the bottom is disappointing. 

Ewers feels way too high but IT continues to beat that drum.

52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

(Eric Nahlin) Texas and the post-NFL draft lull: Schools don’t develop players, coaches do

Reveal hidden contents

Texas shouldn’t feel the effects of the seemingly annual poor NFL draft showing that leads to a noticeable recruiting malaise. That’s opinion, not fact, but I’ll state my case below.

First, let’s set the table from Monday’s press conference.

IT: NFL draft is this week, and that's a huge piece of the recruiting puzzle. How much do you sell guys like Mac, Jalen, Najee, and also come to Texas and have to talk about guys like Sam Ehlinger, Caden Sterns, Sam Cosmi, all those guys. How do you approach that on the trail?

Sark: It's kind of interesting, especially in year one when you come in because it's not my place to sell other players from another program if that makes sense. But I also sometimes feel uncomfortable selling players that I didn't coach that were here. I'm a little bit caught in the middle in year one, so we really sell ourselves. We sell the university. We sell the schemes that we have. Now, if a player has similar traits to a player that we've coached, yes, we talk about that player. But we don't really make it a point early on just to say 'come here and be like X Y or Z.' It's more about ‘here's our style of play; here’s our schemes; here’s our approach to coaching. This guy, X Y or Z, benefitted from it this way or that way.' But I do enjoy the draft. I enjoy watching the draft. I was talking to a guy today, it's pretty amazing to think that the University of Texas, I think, will probably have at minimum six guys drafted in this draft coming up. That's a lot of players getting drafted in the NFL Draft. It's a credit to those kids and the hard work they've put in, and hopefully we can continue down that road of players having success and getting drafted into the NFL.

”I’m a little bit caught in the middle in year one, so we really sell ourselves.”

We have a winner, and I mean that both ways; that’s the correct approach, and Sark is a winner. He’s not Nick Saban, and he can’t take credit for Alabama’s overall success when recruiting prospects, but he can absolutely sell the value he personally brought from a schematic, development, and deployment standpoint to a number of players.

We all know the names: By Thursday night, receivers Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Jaylen Waddle, and Heisman winner DeVonta Smith will have all been drafted in the first round. Quarterback Mac Jones could possibly be drafted as high as #3 (I can see Kyle Shanahan taking him). If you knew Mac Jones as a recruit, that’s extremely impressive.

Offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Kyle Flood can sell the same, as can defensive coordinator and outside linebacker coach Pete Kwiatkowski.

Let’s take a look at players of note in the top-50 in Dane Brugler’s ‘Beast’ draft guide.

6. WR Jaylen Waddle, Alabama: Sarkisian can sell deployment, as well as numerous wide receivers being featured at once, especially dating back to last season when Waddle was the #3 option. Texas didn’t get Waddle, but maybe he’ll unwittingly help Texas get the next version.

9. WR DeVonta Smith, Alabama: Sarkisian can sell deployment, as well as having a stick figure raise the Heisman above his head. Smith was the #4 WR just a season ago. Like with Mac Jones, Sark can also sell biding your time and trusting the process.

21. OC/OG Landon Dickerson, Alabama: His ability to stay healthy coincided to grad-transferring from Florida State to Bama, where he had two healthy seasons until yet another ACL injury in the SEC championship game. He was always talented but became a high draft pick under Kyle Flood and Steve Sarkisian. His move to center also increased his value.

23. RB Najee Harris, Alabama: Sarkisian didn’t recruit Harris but he can certainly sell the ability to feed a feature back within an offense more known for passing. Much of that passing went to Harris as he collected 70 passes in his final two seasons after only 10 in (albeit a more limited role) his first two seasons. Harris also excelled in a number of run schemes, a good reflection on both Sarkisian and Flood.

25. QB Mac Jones, Alabama: Jones had ‘good athlete’, not ‘explosive athlete’ traits coming out of high school. That’s why you were able to see him use his legs at times. These players, who excel in a number of sports despite not being explosive, are always difficult to evaluate until after the fact. They present more ability to work with than meets the eye. Jones was a quality tennis player like both of his parents. That will tell you he had foot quickness, spatial awareness, and I’m pretty sure some accuracy traits show up as well — having your body in the right position to execute a play is imperative. Sarikisian had more to work with than meets the eye, but recruits don’t have to know that! Jones was a facilitator rather than creator in college which means he was the paint brush rather than the painter for Sark’s art. He’ll be the same in the NFL if Kyle Shanahan drafts him, but that’s a big compliment. Jones took Sark’s script and brought it alive on the big screen.

29. DT Levi Onwuzurike, Washington: Texas missed here in 2016 because of a bad evaluation (think about how bad that cycle’s d-line evals were. On second thought, don’t). Meanwhile, Washington hit here because of a great evaluation. Notably, Pete Kwiatkowski knew where Onwuzurike’s frame was going. He was similar to Ta’Quon Graham in his evolution but a better player. Per Brugler, PK won this recruitment by visiting Onwuzurike six weekends in a row. Incels don’t even do that when they finally get a girlfriend. The academic side of Washington also appealed to him. Landing and developing Onwuzurike is a huge feather in the new Texas DC’s cap. And if he really visited Levi six weekends in a row, it underlines how aggressively he pursues prospects he covets.

32. EDGE Joe Tryon, Washington: A late bloomer, he was committed to Washington State until Washington flipped him late. He opted out this season and only started 14 times in his Washington career, but he would have become a more national name had he played this past season. Tryon was coached and deployed by Pete Kwiatkowski. EDGE is a major position of need and Tryon would have made for a better sell to Derrick Brown and others like the Texas High standout, but if he goes in the first the point will have been made. Then PK can say, think what I could have done with him in 10 more starts.

34. OG Alex Leatherwood, Alabama: He went from Second Team SEC right guard in 2018 to first team SEC left tackle in his first year under Flood. In his second year under Flood he was a unanimous All American and Outland Trophy winner. That’s the progression you expect to see under quality coaching. Yes, Flood was gifted an elite talent to work with, but he definitely improved Leatherwood.

38. OT Sam Cosmi, Texas: Hopefully a team will fall in love with Cosmi’s remaining untapped potential and upside and he sneaks into the first. This is all about perception because the current staff had nothing to do with evaluating, developing, or deploying him.

45. DB Elijah Molden, Washington: An Oregonian and the son of Duck great Alex Molden chose Washington to the shock of everyone. That had more to do with Jimmy Lake than Kwiatkowski, but the physical and instinctive Molden became the embodiment of the U-Dub defense and is a good sell for nickel. You need tape to sell kids who visit and Molden provides PK that.

47. EDGE Joseph Ossai, Texas: Ditto what was written about Cosmi. Ossai has a very high floor and I think he bends better than the current consensus on him, or at least has it in him. I know what I saw of him while he was at Oak Ridge.

A couple of quick takeaways

— In Brugler’s top-50, Alabama is represented by six offensive players and just two defensive players (the same number as PK). The two defensive players are CB Patrick Surtain, who was a born an NFL corner, and DT Christian Barmore. We already knew this, but Alabama is driven by offense now. Saban’s fingerprints are still all over the program, but Sarkisian proved to be a key accomplice.

— Kwiatkowski is the total package when it comes to evaluating players and having an executable plan for them. Having two potential first-rounders is a gift in the first class to help him make his case. Kris Ross and Zac Swanson are a very good start. Ross is probably elite with some development. It’s time to use Tryon to land some much-needed EDGE players. Also recall, Washington became the favorite for eventual 2021 Texas signee David Abiara, so we’ve seen his sell in action already.

Three reasons Texas is much more difficult to negative recruit

1. Individual coaching success at positions of importance as outlined above.

2. The schools that would most effectively negative recruit Texas aren’t in their typical position to do so.

LSU is currently in a world of hurt in every way imaginable: on the field; with the coaching staff; legally.

A&M had a good season but isn’t exactly striking gold on the recruiting front. With the new staff, Texas jumped in front of the Ags for Bryan Allen and Bryce Anderson (two players who committed to LSU after the 2020 NFL Draft), as well as Kelvin Banks.

All the coaches at Alabama who typically recruit Texas are....at Texas. That even includes defensive tackles coach Bo Davis who was employed by Nick Saban for a decade at three spots, four if you count Bama twice. It seems like Saban signs off on UT’s defensive tackles coach and he’ll be difficult to negative recruit. Saban is still the GOAT but Texas is in much better position than it‘s been in years past to punch back on narratives.

Oklahoma’s sell of a prolific offense is mitigated by what Sarkisian and Flood accomplished the last two years with quarterback, running back, offensive line, and most notably, wide receiver play.

3. Texas will have a more robust June visit schedule than it’s ever had. Seeing prospects in person and firming up relationships is how you build the sort of trust necessary to overcome negative pitches.

The new car smell is still a thing, even if Covid served as a governor. The governor will be lifted once visits are fully restored.

Incels don’t even do that when they finally get a girlfriend.

Nahlin reaching really deep for this one 

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas has led for Harris the entire time and for much of that, heavily. The $9.95ers are pussies when it comes to Saban and Alabama, much like most of the posters on this board. Texas will land Denver Harris, along with Banks and Anderson. There's a good chance Ewers and Brooks get added to the list. We'll find out how willing Texas is to straight win an auction with Stewart. No clue yet on Brown. 

Anyway, feel free to neg me until the cows come home for this post when Harris signs with Bama. I don't see it. I see a bunch of handwringing writers who squat to pee ginning up concern among their readers.

boom smile GIF

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas has led for Harris the entire time and for much of that, heavily. The $9.95ers are pussies when it comes to Saban and Alabama, much like most of the posters on this board. Texas will land Denver Harris, along with Banks and Anderson. There's a good chance Ewers and Brooks get added to the list. We'll find out how willing Texas is to straight win an auction with Stewart. No clue yet on Brown. 

Anyway, feel free to neg me until the cows come home for this post when Harris signs with Bama. I don't see it. I see a bunch of handwringing writers who squat to pee ginning up concern among their readers.

Denzel Washington GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Send Cory Redding to Tuscaloosa to visit Saban in a different way.  North Shore is our turf and that midget fuckhead can smoke pole in Bama for all I care.  He’s like 5’4” and a bitch.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The Office Thank You GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The $9.95ers are pussies when it comes to Saban and Alabama, much like most of the posters on this board.

Hand raised! Satan. Ohio Steak. Stanford. Nothing makes me pull out and wring puss like those bastards, I admit. That's on me.

With that said:

Texas will land Denver Harris, along with Banks and Anderson. There's a good chance Ewers and Brooks get added to the list.

...sell this shit in IV bags. I'm all the fuck in!

Edited by UncleBuck

1 hour ago, Blackcat00 said:

It would shock me if Denver Harris is not in Austin when it is all said and done. Then again I've seen crazier things following Texas recruiting dating back to 1998.

How about when a college coach took a recruit to an undisclosed location for the entire week before signing date so no other coaches could

find him to continue to recruit him.

Wells on June visitors

Spoiler

UT is set to open its official recruiting doors on June 1st. There will be recruits. Let's catch up on who, when, and more. Enjoy the evening news.

June 4th-6th: (2022)
WR Shazz Preston, St. James (LA)
DE/EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High
RB TreVonte Citizen, Lake Charles College Prep (Lake Charles, LA)

June 11th-13th: (2022)
OG Cole Hutson, Frisco High
DL Zac Swanson, Brophy Prep (Phoenix, AZ) (TEXAS)
LB Sebastian Cheeks, Township (Evanston, IL)
LB Robbie Snelling, McQueen (Reno, NV)
ATH Anthony Jones, Liberty (Las Vegas)

June 18th-20th: (2022)
QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA) (TEXAS)
RB Jaydon Blue, Klein Davis (TEXAS)
RB Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burgess
WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (TEXAS)
WR CJ Williams, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA)
OL Connor Robertson, Austin Westlake
OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
DT Kristopher Ross, North Shore (TEXAS)
DT Jaray Bledsoe, Bremond
LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (CA)
LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington Martin (TEXAS)
DB Bryce Anderson, Beaumont West Brook (UOV) Looks like he'll save his Texas official for the season. Smart.
S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo (TEXAS)
S Jacoby Mathews, Ponchatoula (LA) (LSU) Fresh off an LSU commitment, Mathews is still scheduled to see Austin. Good.
CB Denver Harris, North Shore
CB Terrance Brooks, John Paul II (Plano, TX)

June 25th-27th:
LB Ish Harris, Pilot Point
CB Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur Memorial (TEXAS)
CB Isaiah Bond, Buford (GA)
DL Justice Finkley, Hewitt (Trussville, AL)
DL Aaron Bryant, Southhaven (MS)

Likely visit but date is unknown:
WR Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty (2022) - He was originally scheduled for the 11th-13th, but he's got an Under Armour camp that weekend. He's in Florida on June 4th-6th, and may see Texas A&M in late June. But if you've followed this recruitment, this dates are open to change. Multiple times.

OL Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie (2022) - He's seen Austin a few times already, and I wouldn't be surprised if he returns in June. At the least, his official might not be until the season. Also smart.

OL Kam Dewberry, Humble Atascocita (2022): The big man recently told IT he'll take an UOV to Austin some time this summer, followed by an official trip in the fall.

OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer HS (Federal Way, WA) (2022): He's mentioned multiple times he'll see Austin this summer.

LB Harold Perkins, Cy-Park (2022): Texas or Oklahoma will get an unofficial visit on June 18th-20th.

June is shaping up to be a momentous recruiting opportunity for the new staff and the 2022 and 2023 cycles. Buckle up.

(Greg Biggins) Texas locks in official visit date with Top247 WR CJ Williams

Spoiler

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei wide out C.J. Williams moved a few of his official visits around and has a commitment date in mind as well.

Williams and his Mater Dei teammates capped off a perfect 5-0 spring shortened season in style with a big 34-17 win over archival Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco two weeks ago. It was a solid season for Williams who finished the year with 16 catches for 239 yards and five touchdowns including two in the win over the Braves.

At 6-2, 195 pounds, he’s a strong, physical receiver, an advanced route runner with strong hands and very good adjusting to the football. He had a spectacular one handed touchdown grab in the Bosco game and his body control and ball awareness are definitely two of his best traits.

On the recruiting front, Williams had to move a few of his visits around but does have three trips locked in for June now.

“I’m going to Texas on June 19,” Williams said. “I have Ohio State and Notre Dame locked in for June official trips as well so it should be an exciting month for me.”

The Longhorns have always been heavily involved with Williams and then picked things up even more once Steve Sarkisian took over as the head coach and his good friend Maalik Murphy committed to UT.

“Texas is definitely one of the schools recruiting me the hardest right now,” Williams said. “Coach Sark is great and he was one of the main reasons why I had so much interest in Alabama when he was there.

“Texas jumped up for sure once he came in and I have a good relationship with coach Coleman, the WR coach as well. Of course Maalik is on me all the time and he’s a great player and a close friend so there’s definitely a lot I like about Texas right now.”

At one time, Williams said his plan was to commit before his senior year but he has decided to push that date back just a bit.

“I want to commit on September 7th,” Williams said. “That’s my mother’s birthday so that’s the plan right now and I think that should work out well for me.

“It’s still early but late enough where, depending on the schedule, I could get an official visit on a game weekend in late August or that first weekend of September so we’ll see how it goes.”

Alabama, Stanford, UCLA and USC are all still involved in Williams’ recruitment as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I can’t wait for the day a recruit drops a top 132 or however many teams there are in the NCAA now

I’ve proposed a similar idea. 100 days from signing day a recruits announces 1 school a day he won’t be attending. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Not sure why 247 995ers are eagerly putting in 1 confidence CBs for DJ Wesolak to Clemson and low confidence CBs for him in general.

"We have no fucking idea where this kid is going, and we REALLY need you to know about it!"

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Not sure why 247 995ers are eagerly putting in 1 confidence CBs for DJ Wesolak to Clemson and low confidence CBs for him in general.

"We have no fucking idea where this kid is going, and we REALLY need you to know about it!"

Its April 28.   What else are they going to do to justify their online existence?

Roach

Spoiler

— Jaylon Guilbeau is locked in to Texas.  He's developed a strong bond with Terry Joseph and has been working to improve his physical attributes during the spring.  Guilbeau is focused on recruiting high-end defensive backs Denver Harris and Bryce Anderson to join him.  Guilbeau said he's thinking about taking a few trips in the summer for the experience, but the only one he's scheduled for sure is Texas.  Where Guilbeau once looked shaky, it seems he's firmed everything up.

— Speaking of Bryce Anderson, Nick stopped by Westbrook to talk with him and I was able to get by near the end.  Anderson is looking forward to taking his visits during the summer and has an unofficial trip to Texas on June 18.  Anderson's family won't be able to make it so he wants to wait to take the official visit when they can.  If he can, he'd like to knock everything out and make a decision before the season or before district play starts.  We still feel very good with where Texas stands here.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Roach

Hide contents

— Jaylon Guilbeau is locked in to Texas.  He's developed a strong bond with Terry Joseph and has been working to improve his physical attributes during the spring.  Guilbeau is focused on recruiting high-end defensive backs Denver Harris and Bryce Anderson to join him.  Guilbeau said he's thinking about taking a few trips in the summer for the experience, but the only one he's scheduled for sure is Texas.  Where Guilbeau once looked shaky, it seems he's firmed everything up.

— Speaking of Bryce Anderson, Nick stopped by Westbrook to talk with him and I was able to get by near the end.  Anderson is looking forward to taking his visits during the summer and has an unofficial trip to Texas on June 18.  Anderson's family won't be able to make it so he wants to wait to take the official visit when they can.  If he can, he'd like to knock everything out and make a decision before the season or before district play starts.  We still feel very good with where Texas stands here.

Clearly read the ctj update. 

10 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Hell of a shirt for a recruit.

E0GC3LNXEAQW4Sf?format=jpg&name=medium

NIKE Schools: Texas, Bama, LSU, USC

NOT a NIKE School: aggie

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think Citizen is headed to LSU like every other LA kid, but I'd take that dude over Jones. Let's hope for a miracle 

. . .or . . .

IT Recruiting Matters: New in-state OT target? Ohio State reaches out to interesting WR, Brenen to see Texas

Spoiler

By Gerry Hamilton, Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin

Spring practice has concluded, and now #AllGasNoBrakes has shifted toward recruiting headed into what will be a wild month of June.

With your morning cup of coffee, IT provides the latest on OL recruiting, Ohio State has started recruiting a Lone Star State WR and Brenen Thompson is coming to Austin more than once.

Texas trending with in-state OLs
If there is one position Texas fans have circled as most important in the 2022 class, it’s offensive line. Headed into May, Kyle Flood and staff have the Longhorns set up well inside the state lines.

IT has been consistent in reporting that that Texas is in a very good spot for tackle Kelvin Banks (Summer Creek), and that has not changed. The Longhorns are a heavy favorite a month out from June official visits to LSU, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas A&M.

The same can be said with elite OG Devon Campbell. The Longhorns are in the spot Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama and USC wishes they were. There are OV’s scheduled to USC June 4-6 and Oklahoma June 25-27, and IT expects Campbell to be on campus again in Austin in June.

The Longhorns also remain in the mix for Kam Dewberry, and there is a feeling that Neto Umeozulu is being more receptive to the Texas staff. Dewberry will likely be at LSU June 4-6, and then has Texas A&M scheduled June 18-20 and Ohio State June 25-27. Texas is a good bet to get Dewberry on campus at some point in June, but could also win out for an OV during the season. Alabama and Oklahoma are also in the mix for OV’s during the season. Umeozulu is more of a wildcard recruitment, but the conversations with Texas have been more positive in recent weeks.

The Longhorns continue to receive positive feedback from guard prospect Cole Hutson, and are swinging away with center/guard Connor Robertson. Hutson will make an OV to Texas June 11-13, and is scheduled to follow with Oklahoma June 18-20 and Texas A&M June 25-27. Robertson’s OV to Texas is scheduled for June 18-20.

And now Texas is recruiting a seventh in-state OL prospect - Duncanville’s Cameron Williams. The near 6-foot-6, 380-pounder with very good feet, power, long arms and near 11-inch hands has talked to Kyle Flood and staff in recent days, and the Longhorns could extend an offer in the near future. The upside OT has an OV scheduled to Oregon June 4-6 with Oklahoma, Miami and others in pursuit with a decision expected in July. Williams has wanted Texas to recruit him, but now the staff has to overcome being “late” in Williams’ eyes.

Ohio State reaches out to Landon Samson
Ohio State assistant coach Brian Hartline reached out to Southlake Carroll wide receiver Landon Samson on Tuesday, and the Buckeyes

“Coach Hartline called me last night,” Samson told @Justin Wells. “They really liked my film and feel like they need a wide receive like me. They’d like me to visit with Quinn (Ewers) in June, and want to see me up close.”

Samson currently has offers from Baylor, SMU, Duke, Colorado, Utah and Nebraska among others. IT believes Samson is one of the more under recruited prospects in the state. He has consistently timed 4.5 or better in testing at Southlake Carroll, and has the ability to COD and will make tough catches in heavy traffic.

Brenen Thompson will be in Austin twice
Brenen Thompson will be in Austin in two weeks looking for a state title on the track with a season-best 10.38 in the 100 meters.

While in Austin at the state track meet, Thompson will make a student visit to Texas. There are plans to make an unofficial visit in June to meet with the Texas staff as well. IT continues to hear that a person very close to Thompson prefers the Longhorns.

Thompson will make an OV to Oklahoma State June 9-11, and is leaning to making the remainder of his OV’s during the season. Those would be Alabama and Clemson for sure, and likely Texas and Texas A&M.

Thompson will also spend time hanging out with Clemson QB commit Cade Klubnik while in Austin for the state meet.

Make no mistake, Sarkisian and staff still covet Thompson at wide receiver.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Landon Samson is a good D1 prospect, but he’s not OSU good. They’re getting nervous about Ewers and pondering burning a scholarship on his best friend. 

Do we have any insight on when Manning would consider making a decision? The people at IT and elsewhere have been more and more bullish about Manning at Sark and UT being a great combination, but we also know that Ewers and Manning absolutely will not attend the same school. If the interest from the Manning family is even remotely as high in Texas as is being hinted, is there a legit game of chicken going on here? 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting