Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Nah, bro. It’s about how they carry the bags. Their form, their subtlety, the wink and nod during the exchange. That’s what sets an elite bagman apart from someone like KarenKeyLargo.

And as with most physical endeavors, forearms are key. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
Critical performance parameters, one could say

12 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

After Fields drops to the late first round tonight, Sark should really only say one thing to Ewers - “Coaches, not schools, develop players.  It just so happens that Ohio State sucks dick.”.

He can stop there. 

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'd love to see some video of big boy running some routes. 

He’s pretty good at it. Like I said we watched his whole game. My son knew who he was (honestly I didn’t), so we hung around. The kid moves really well for how big he is. He carries the weight very well. Like I said I hope OU makes him a priority. From what I’ve heard tho, he really likes Stillwater. 

30 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

So does five first round draft picks on his last offense mean that Sark didn’t really have to be that great of a coach? Or does it mean the opposite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read it as he knew what to do with what he had. 

21 hours ago, irishtexan said:

The 6'3" 290lb Defensive Tackle lines up at Linebacker and receiver for his 7 on 7 team? 

That sounds like bullshit, but if true, sign me up...

Do you not remember Malik Agbo, at 6'6" 330, playing WR at Pylon 7on7 just a month or so ago? 

38 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

So does five first round draft picks on his last offense mean that Sark didn’t really have to be that great of a coach? Or does it mean the opposite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't need to be one or the other only.

Looking at a guy like Mac Jones, I think you can say that Sark realy helped him get drafted that high.

Then looking at a guy like Waddle, I think you can say you're dealing with a guy who coming out of high school already looked like he could be a first round pick one day. 

Neither of those a bad thing for Sark at Texas. Can argue he helped develop a first round QB, and can also argue that it's less to do with the school, if you're a badass you're a badass in any color, and you'll land in the league early regardless (true or not).

Edited by UncleBuck

(Mike Roach) Breakfast Bites: Wrapping up the week in Houston

Spoiler

— Yesterday I was able to see Klein Cain running back Jaydon Blue. The Texas commit told me that other schools are still coming at him but he only plans to visit one school with a trip to Texas scheduled for June 18-20. Blue said he's firm in his commitment and is focused on bringing a state title to Klein Cain. Blue remains locked into the Longhorns and is one of the top players in the class. He's working on offensive linemen Kam Dewberry and Kelvin Banks to join him. Not that there was ever a reason to, but it doesn't sound like there's much to worry about here.

— Blue's teammate Matthew Golden has a few visits set up for the summer including trips to TCU and SMU with Arkansas and Houston also in the picture. Texas remains in contact as Golden hears from Andre Coleman daily. Golden was invited to the spring game but couldn't make it, and he said he might make it to Austin for an unofficial visit in June. The Longhorns are currently in on a few other wide receivers, but Golden could be a name to watch as the Longhorns continue to evaluate moving into the summer.

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It doesn't need to be one or the other only.

Looking at a guy like Mac Jones, I think you can say that Sark realy helped him get drafted as highly as he was. 

Then looking at a guy like Waddle, I think you can say you're dealing with a guy who coming out of high school already looked like he could be a first round pick one day. 

Neither of those a bad thing for Sark at Texas. Can argue he helped develop a first round QB, and can also argue that it's less to do with the school, if you're a badass you're a badass in any colors. 

Unlike the last 10 years at Texas where we've had multiple dudes who looked like first round picks coming out of high school end up being day three picks. Hopefully Sark changes that narrative. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Unlike the last 10 years at Texas where we've had multiple dudes who looked like first round picks coming out of high school end up being day three picks. Hopefully Sark changes that narrative. 

Alabama and Washington had more first round picks than any conference combined. AL+WA=7, SEC-AL=6, BIG=7, PAC=3. It should be hard for A&M to push the SEC narrative when most of its success was due to Sark.

SEC 12
Big Ten 7
ACC 6
Pac-12 3
AAC 2
IND 1
FCS 1
Edited by Bevo

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It should be hard for A&M to push the SEC narrative when most of its success was due to Sark.

Never underestimate what impressionable teenagers are capable of believing. It's all about the sales pitch and our ability to counter it (and vice versa).

• Hook 'Em 3

IT

Spoiler

Coaching Clinics

Bo Davis was an old school, fundamentals-based coach in his presentation. He was spitting chew and raspily going over drills and film from the early 2010s Texas defensive line with Kheeston Randall and Dez Jackson. He also broke down some film from his time with the Detroit Lions film.

Davis' priority was teaching hips, hands, and feet with a variety of drills he insists as being "daily musts" to build muscle memory and the right habits. He had a lot of energy going over film, with a lot of "watch this right here! Look at this right here! Get off his ass right here! I don't want them clicking their heels like Dorothy, that won't take you nowhere good!" (When your feet are close together you lose your power base)

The drills were all built as part of a progression to get the feet right, the hands right, and to build explosion in the hips while executing both 1-gap and 2-gap techniques. He had examples of both, including from the Longhorns he coached back in 2011 when they were stuffing the Kansas State run game. The 1-gap techniques involved attacking half a man while the 2-gap techniques had his players hitting guys in the middle to stack them and then get off the block in the relevant gap.

He didn't have a ton of cut-ups from the current team but in the ones he did he used Vernon Broughton as an example of a guy with some explosive power.

Davis also had a segment on tackling in the backfield, emphasizing his tackles to cover the back's hips with their own so they couldn't use a spin move to get free. After that, a teaching on fighting double teams which involved striking the blocker across from them, throwing their hips into the ”helper” to hold their ground, then working free.

He was asked about teaching pass-rush moves to inside tackles and whether height matters. Davis said he teaches the same thing regardless of height; interior guys often can't flip their hips like outside guys and it becomes about pushing the pocket instead. Attacking half a man and using power to push the pocket, so length is useful but it's still the same fundamentals whether you're tall or not.

Jeff Banks is clearly a type A sort of guy, which is no surprise given how energetic he is in recruiting. He oversees a very fast-paced special teams practice with very little wasted movement, time, or manpower. He's overseeing the other coaches in special teams drills and calling the schemes and gameplans. Banks emphasized the need for two-way communication between player and coach and had an example of how Myles Garrett at A&M was telling him how the other team was protecting their punts on the sideline and they were able to adjust and go block a punt by strategizing together between kicks.

He had several special teams drills, many of them done on a smaller scale with 3-on-3 or similar set-ups. Banks said if you always do 11-on-11 it's harder to see what's going right or wrong on a micro level but when you break it up into parts you can see everything that's going into the machine.

These drills are obviously useful for figuring out who the guys are on the team who play fast or are dogs. He praised Chris Adimora and said, "he's not supposed to be that fast but sometimes these drills tell you who's really fast out there" as Adimora split a double team and ran by Anthony Cook and B.J. Foster. Roschon Johnson had a rep where he fell on his face and got back up to try and run down D'Shawn Jamison. Jerrin Thompson also stood out.

Banks would always call out the players by name and say where they were from, most of the staff was good about that in these clinics and Banks was a master. Always recruiting.

His level of detail keeps him attuned to studies and stats, also. Banks referenced a couple of studies he'd read in deciding on tactics, including one that said the vast majority of punt blocks were one-handed blocks so he has them drill punt blocking with one hand.

The last drill covered was called the "lion and gazelle" drill where you get a 1-on-1 matchup where the "gazelle" has to get by the "lion" within a five yard box. J.D. Coffey had a nice win on one rep and Roschon Johnson got by Foster on another.

While he emphasized that they want to build a culture and have the best guys on the field during special teams, Banks also built up special teams as a place for younger players, especially freshmen, to be learning fundamentals and receiving individual development all season. It’s a breeding ground. You can expect Texas to rely on Banks to gameplan advantages in special teams this coming season and for them to use it as a tool for identifying and developing the young talent on the team.

Football Recruiting

Texas continues its pursuit of Bremond 2022 DT Jaray Bledsoe. The 6-foot-5, almost 280-pounder with elite athleticism for his size, continues to have Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama under serious consideration. Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis continues to do a great job of relationship building within Bledsoe’s circle. While Davis is doing his job well, the feeling is the Longhorns are a little behind Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Alabama remains the wildcard. June OV's to Texas A&M, Texas (June 25-27), and Alabama are on the schedule. Winning over mom and grandfather will be paramount in this one.

Bottom line: Davis has made quality in-roads and UT is in solid positioning. The visits loom large. Texas is protected somewhat by the miss with Kris Ross in the fold, and to a lesser degree, Zac Swanson. But Bledsoe has monstrous upside.

• Hook 'Em 3

Wells

Spoiler

There’ll be a group of prospects taking a student trip to Austin this weekend. Namely 2023 Bai Jobe, four-star WDE in Oklahoma.

Also.. 2023 Morgan Pearson
2023 Erik McCarty
2022 Trudel Berry DB/Ath Baytown Lee
2022 Chase Faber LB

Jobe should be a national recruit.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells

Hide contents

There’ll be a group of prospects taking a student trip to Austin this weekend. Namely 2023 Bai Jobe, four-star WDE in Oklahoma.

Also.. 2023 Morgan Pearson
2023 Erik McCarty
2022 Trudel Berry DB/Ath Baytown Lee
2022 Chase Faber LB

Jobe should be a national recruit.

I thought there was an ATH named Baytown Lee for a solid 10 seconds there.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting