Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

42 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I think he played LB for Washington, but maybe he'll move positions? I really don't know because I saw it on the draft they listen him as a LB. You may be right, tho. 

I mean I think he was an OLB at washington. in the 2-4-5. so he was primarily a rusher. I’ve seen him listed as an edge. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

There's a recruit named "Bai Jobe?"  Holy cow, that may be the greatest name for a receiver I've ever heard.

"Did he catch it?"  "Bai Jobe, I think he's got it!"

I'll fly my nerd flag here. Bai Jobe sounds to me like a Rogue One character. He'd fit right in on that mission with Baze Malbus, Jyn Erso, and Bodhi Rook...

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

Miami seems to be in the mix for several recruits this year that UT and A&M are pursuing. 

That program resurrecting? Or money talks? Or a great official visit destination? Some combination of the above?

I mean, it's the U. So that one should be pretty self-explanatory. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2021 at 12:32 PM, SquishMitten said:

Nah, bro. It’s about how they carry the bags. Their form, their subtlety, the wink and nod during the exchange. That’s what sets an elite bagman apart from someone like KarenKeyLargo.

Anyone who has watched the Big Lebowski knows that being a bagman isn't always easy.

• Haha 2

Take it for what it's worth, but an OU insider thinks that they have a shot at Evan Stewart if/when Bama flips Luther Burden. Bama is likely adding Burden's friend Jameson Williams, the tOSU transfer 

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Take it for what it's worth, but an OU insider thinks that they have a shot at Evan Stewart if/when Bama flips Luther Burden. Bama is likely adding Burden's friend Jameson Williams, the tOSU transfer 

I know lots of people think Texas is still in a good spot.  We just rarely see kids that decommit, end up at the same school.  Glad we got Worthy.  Hopefully we can bid for him. 

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

I know lots of people think Texas is still in a good spot.  We just rarely see kids that decommit, end up at the same school.  Glad we got Worthy.  Hopefully we can bid for him. 

This is a unique cycle where I don't think past analogies are as useful to look at 

• Hook 'Em 1

Obviously have no knowledge here, but attempts at softening the blow with “don’t worry about losing player X, Played Y will definitely hop on board soon” is one of the oldest insider tricks in the book.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Obviously have no knowledge here, but attempts at softening the blow with “don’t worry about losing player X, Played Y will definitely hop on board soon” is one of the oldest insider tricks in the book.

Yeah, take it for what it's worth 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

If they haven’t taken it up in the 82 years since winning a national title or the 20 years since winning a conference title, then why start now?

I prefer single malt scotch and have been discovering bourbons. Maybe time to taste test some Irish stuff ;)

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

"I prefer single malt scotch and have been discovering bourbons. Maybe time to taste test some Irish stuff ;)"

Try 12 year old Red Breast, you can thank me later.

Looks to be pretty awesome.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/redbreast/redbreast-12-year-old-whiskey/

Thanks, will look for it once I'm done with my Kinsey 10 year old.

http://whiskeyenthusiasts.com/whiskey/kinsey-american-whiskey-10-year/

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Evan Stewart is the most “public” recruit I’ve seen in years in regards to NLI type shit. No I’m not worried about him ending up in Norman fucking Oklahoma 

The kid is a baller no question, but that kind of public persona can be good or bad for a football program depending on his experience or perceived slights etc. I am starting to wonder if the juice may not be worth the squeeze with him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The kid is a baller no question, but that kind of public persona can be good or bad for a football program depending on his experience or perceived slights etc. I am starting to wonder if the juice may not be worth the squeeze with him. 

It is, hell his publicity makes it even more worth it IMO if we have our shit together

49 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

No doubt we fucked it up. I'm sure Waddle would have been the same but Alabama gave him $80K and locked that shit down before it became a bidding war.

30 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Please dnt start this, “Do we even want him, he may be a baller but not worth the trouble “  with Stewart

Said this dumb ish with Waddle and look now 

Waddle was great, but how many guys with wild ass recruitments actually panned out? Stewart is a different case certainly, but it is many times indicative of some instability. That's all Im saying. If he committed tomorrow I would be excited, but I would also be holding my breath.

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Waddle was great, but how many guys with wild ass recruitments actually panned out? Stewart is a different case certainly, but it is many times indicative of some instability. That's all Im saying. If he committed tomorrow I would be excited, but I would also be holding my breath.

It hasn't exactly been wild so far. Its been pretty single-minded after the UT breakup. Another commit/decommit go-round would take it there.

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: Recruiting scoop from the week in Houston

Spoiler

— I feel better today about Kelvin Banks than I have in a while when it comes to Texas, but there are still a few things that give me pause. I think Texas has done an excellent job of recruiting him since Kyle Flood arrived in Austin, and there’s a lot of confidence that the Longhorns are in a good position with him. That said, Texas A&M has always been a threat to land him and LSU is a school I’m keeping my eye on when it comes to him. Banks is a Louisiana native and has always had an affinity for the Tigers despite growing up watching Texas.

Visits will be the ultimate game changer.  One thing I did find interesting is the way Banks spoke about Austin.  In the past, Banks expressed the desire for a small town at the next level, but when I talked to him last week he raved about Austin as a city.  Texas has the opportunity to really drive things home on June 18, and they will have all the right pieces there to help.  I’m still reminded of a source close to Banks who feels he’s unpredictable in his thinking.  Texas needs to stay the course here because they have some favorable voices around him including former Longhorn Kenny Harrison who is the head coach at Summer Creek.

— Banks’ good friend and Humble native Kam Dewberry has come a long way in a year’s time with Texas. This time last year, Texas probably wasn’t even in the Top 6 or 7 schools for him, but the introduction of Kyle Flood changed the outlook of this race. As Dewberry told me last week, no school is recruiting him harder than Texas right now. Dewberry recently released a Top 5, and though he didn’t mention LSU to me initially, he told me recently that the Tigers might get an official visit as well. If that did happen, it would likely come at the expense of the Texas visit. Dewberry told me that it had nothing to do with Texas’ standing and more to do with the fact that he’s been to Texas more than any school and is incredibly familiar with the program. Right now, Ohio State and Alabama should be the worry for Texas as both have been more proven winners and developers over the last few years. Still, Dewberry remains high on Texas and will visit a few times this summer unofficially.

— The recruitment of Harold Perkins sounds like it’s starting to get a little bit crazy. While it looked like this could come down to an in-state battle, there are starting to be some twists and turns. LSU is starting to make a little more noise and Perkins is growing closer with fellow five-star Omari Abor. Texas will continue to stay on him, but there are a lot of dynamics at play here. This recruitment looks like it will go all the way to the end of the cycle, so there’s still plenty of time. Intel seems to change by the week with Perkins, but it sounds like several out of state programs are starting to make a move. Nick Harris has a good feel for this recruitment and will have Horns247 on top of it.

— Jaylon Guilbeau said he might take a few visits this summer, but he doesn’t have anything scheduled outside of Texas and said he remains locked in on the Longhorns. While Guilbeau originally committed to Texas because of a relationship with Jay Valai, he’s been happy with the way things are going with the new coaching staff. Guilbeau told me he’s been in contact with Terry Joseph often and he’s been able to form a pretty strong bond with him. Guilbeau will make an official visit to Texas in June and it seems he’s pretty solid with his commitment right now.

— Beaumont Westbrook DB Bryce Anderson was supposed to make a spring commitment, but the opening of visits in the summer pushed his timeline back. Texas surged early in the spring with the four-star prospect and are trying to hold on to that momentum into the summer. It sounds like the Longhorns are still in a strong position to land him. Anderson will make an unofficial visit to Austin on June 18. His parents won’t be able to make the trip that weekend so he’s going to wait to take his official visit to Texas. That visit could even be pushed to the fall depending on when Anderson makes his commitment. If I had to guess right now, I’d say that it’s likely Anderson makes a decision before his senior season. Texas still seems like the pick to win out but they will have to make it through his other visits.

— Denver Harris has his official visits locked in for the summer, and Texas is on the list to get one. Harris will be on the trip with the other Texas commits and a big group of visitors. The Longhorns seem to be in a good position as I’ve been told that Harris’s mother likes Austin and wouldn’t mind if he stayed close to home. Alabama, Texas A&M and LSU are the other three schools of note here. The Crimson Tide has been led by an effort from head coach Nick Saban who is putting in the heavy lifting recruiting him. For Texas, Terry Joseph and Jeff Banks are all over this one with Steve Sarkisian pitching in as well. Alabama is surely going to be pushing its stellar weekend at the NFL draft while LSU remains a school that Harris has always been interested in.

— There isn’t much new to report on Texas commit Jaydon Blue, but it seems like he’s pretty locked in with his commitment. Blue told me that Texas is the only school he intends to visit despite the fact that a few others are still coming at him. Blue’s focus seems to be on his final season of high school football as he looks to chase a state title before graduating early to enroll during the spring. Blue told me he’s forming a good bond with the rest of the commits in the class and is also talking often with 2023 running back commit Rueben Owens. With multiple commits looking to take visits this summer, consider it good news that Blue seems pretty locked in.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting