Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I hate the common phrase "Win and recruiting will take care of itself," but it's hard not to see that being the case this year. If sark can jump out of the gate at 3-0 and the coaching appears competent I think Texas will take off on the national recruiting scene. As we see in Bball recruiting right now, the NLI stuff is a big time game changer for Texas. Austin is the ultimate sell for making money.

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I hate the common phrase "Win and recruiting will take care of itself," but it's hard not to see that being the case this year. If sark can jump out of the gate at 3-0 and the coaching appears competent I think Texas will take off on the national recruiting scene. As we see in Bball recruiting right now, the NLI stuff is a big time game changer for Texas. Austin is the ultimate sell for making money.

I mean the phrase on surface is dumb but the reality is the talent is siphoning to the teams consistently in the CFB playoffs so technically winning and making the CFB playoff will allow recruiting to take care of itself.

9 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

History shows performance in a given season impacts the next year’s recruiting, so while the phrase is true, winning will help us with 23 recruiting much more than 22. If we’re going to land elite guys and have a strong class this year, it will likely already be in the works before the season starts.  

• Like 1

I only check this thread to see if there are any ewers updates (Lol). He probably won’t flip back but I do find it interesting that he is pretty quiet on social media. I know he has tOSU stuff on his Twitter but not much. I will hold out hope until he signs on NSD1.

16 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

I only check this thread to see if there are any ewers updates (Lol). He probably won’t flip back but I do find it interesting that he is pretty quiet on social media. I know he has tOSU stuff on his Twitter but not much. I will hold out hope until he signs on NSD1.

The question is: How serious is this flirtation between Texas and Archie Manning? If its formal then you honestly don't take ewers, if not then you try to get Ewers to flip during the season.

Athletic: Florida State, Penn State, Texas and others — programs that need a 2022 recruiting bounce back: ‘The 5’

Texas:

Spoiler

2. Texas

Realistic expectation: Top-10 classes

Current ranking in the 2022 class: No. 8, No. 2 in Big 12, .9340

The buzz: Tom Herman wasn’t fired because he couldn’t recruit. His tenure at Texas didn’t work out because he failed to get the most out of his ultra-talented roster on the field. So when you think about what Steve Sarkisian’s main task is at Texas right out of the gate, it’s all about talent development and creating NFL draft picks. Given that’s the case, you might be surprised to see Texas’ inclusion on this list.

Well, the Longhorns are here because this is a new era, and they are coming off a recruiting cycle in which they finished at No. 15. This is a program that averaged a ranking of 4.6 in the three years before the 2021 cycle. And now Sarkisian has to hit the ground running in a new state and keep Texas as a place that consistently has the most talented roster in the Big 12. Though there are plenty of built-in advantages to being the Texas head coach — namely being the state school in one of the biggest and most talented states in the country — Oklahoma has also upped its game on the recruiting trail.

Texas needs to finish in the top 10 — at worst — of the recruiting rankings this year. Development and results on the field are important. That goes without saying. But Sark has to keep the best players from leaving the state on a consistent basis, and it’s important that he starts strong in his first season, especially at a program that signed a subpar class in the most recent cycle.

Full:

Spoiler

Florida State, Penn State, Texas and others — programs that need a 2022 recruiting bounce back: ‘The 5’

JamesFranklinPennState-1024x683.jpg
By Ari Wasserman 1h ago comment-icon@2x.png 6 save-icon@2x.png

If you’re interested in finding out where the best players in America are currently committed, it’s as simple as going to 247Sports and looking at the 2022 composite player rankings.

But there is a difference between “best” and “most important” or “most influential.”

There is nuance to recruiting, particularly in the context of what individual commitments mean to programs. One program could land a five-star prospect and throw a parade; another team’s fan base might immediately ask when the next five-star prospect is committing. Recruiting is complex.

Every month we do a piece called “The 5,” in which we break down five things that give further understanding to the current situation in the world of talent accumulation. This month, we’re looking at the five programs that need to sign bounce-back classes during the 2022 recruiting cycle.

1. Florida State

Current ranking in the 2022 class: No. 10, No. 1 in ACC, .9159

The buzz: Florida State’s slide from the top of college football could technically be traced back to some very talented teams underperforming, but if you want to understand why the Seminoles aren’t competing for conference titles anymore, just take a look at the recruiting drop-off the program has seen since it signed the No. 6 class in 2017. Every year since has been worse than the year before, culminating with the No. 23 class in 2021. In the 10-year stretch from 2008 through 2017, Florida State signed 30 five-star prospects. From 2018 through 2021 (Mike Norvell’s first year), it signed zero. See the trend?

If Florida State wants to return to national prominence, it has to get back into the top 10 — or even the top five — of the recruiting rankings. It wasn’t too far in the distant past that the Seminoles regularly finished in the top three. The good news? Florida State is putting together its best class since 2017, backed by five-star cornerback Travis Hunter of Suwanee (Ga.) Collins Hill. Hunter is an eccentric personality who is taking it upon himself to turn around Florida State’s fortunes, and it’s working. After signing zero top-100 prospects in the 2021 class, Florida State already has three in 2022 in Hunter, five-star athlete Sam McCall of Lakeland (Fla.) Lake Gibson and four-star quarterback A.J. Duffy of Bradenton (Fla.) IMG, who committed last week.

2. Texas

Current ranking in the 2022 class: No. 8, No. 2 in Big 12, .9340

The buzz: Tom Herman wasn’t fired because he couldn’t recruit. His tenure at Texas didn’t work out because he failed to get the most out of his ultra-talented roster on the field. So when you think about what Steve Sarkisian’s main task is at Texas right out of the gate, it’s all about talent development and creating NFL draft picks. Given that’s the case, you might be surprised to see Texas’ inclusion on this list.

Well, the Longhorns are here because this is a new era, and they are coming off a recruiting cycle in which they finished at No. 15. This is a program that averaged a ranking of 4.6 in the three years before the 2021 cycle. And now Sarkisian has to hit the ground running in a new state and keep Texas as a place that consistently has the most talented roster in the Big 12. Though there are plenty of built-in advantages to being the Texas head coach — namely being the state school in one of the biggest and most talented states in the country — Oklahoma has also upped its game on the recruiting trail.

Texas needs to finish in the top 10 — at worst — of the recruiting rankings this year. Development and results on the field are important. That goes without saying. But Sark has to keep the best players from leaving the state on a consistent basis, and it’s important that he starts strong in his first season, especially at a program that signed a subpar class in the most recent cycle.

3. Penn State

Current ranking in the 2022 class: No. 6, No. 2 in Big Ten, .9201

The buzz: Throughout most of the James Franklin era, Penn State has finished in the No. 12-15 range in the recruiting rankings, which is pretty solid. But the 2018 class that included Micah Parsons — who was just selected in the first round of the NFL Draft — gives Nittany Lions fans hope that the program can be a thorn in Ohio State’s side in the Big Ten East. If you ask Franklin, the goal is to win a national title, and signing classes like his 2018 haul is what it will take for Penn State to reach that potential.

There’s no nice way to say this: Penn State’s 2021 class fell way short of Franklin’s standard and Penn State’s expectations. Even during a pandemic year when kids weren’t visiting other schools, Penn State got smoked in Pennsylvania, signing only one top-10 player in its own state. It’s been written about time and time again, but it’s still surprising every time you read that statistic. That can’t happen again during the Franklin era, especially not while Ohio State is signing better classes under Ryan Day than even Urban Meyer assembled.

The good news? Penn State is off to a terrific start in 2022. It already has commitments from three top-10 players in the state of Pennsylvania and is expected to land the second- and third-ranked prospects in the state in five-star running back Nicholas Singleton of Reading (Pa.) Governor Mifflin and four-star cornerback Keenan Nelson Jr. of Philadelphia St. Joseph’s Prep. Both are ranked among the top 120 players nationally.

Penn State needs to ride the wave and put the 2021 class permanently in the rearview mirror.

4. Arizona

Realistic expectation: Top-40 classes

Current ranking in the 2022 class: No. 29, No. 3 in Pac-12, .8499

The buzz: The recruiting results from the Kevin Sumlin era were completely unacceptable. And if you break down what went wrong under Sumlin, effort from the coaching staff is a real question, which is probably the reason the Wildcats have moved on to a new head coach in Jedd Fisch. Arizona has kept virtually no talent home and rarely goes out and makes a splash in its secondary recruiting territory of California the way its rival, Arizona State, has done under Herm Edwards. The No. 77 ranking in the 2021 cycle is an eyesore, and when you peel back the curtain, it gets worse. Arizona failed to sign even one top-1,000 prospect in that class, which is staggeringly bad for any Power 5 team.

Tucson is a neat little town, and the state of Arizona is becoming increasingly more talented. The Wildcats are also very close to California, which is brimming with top-1,000 recruits. When you factor in Arizona’s location, recently renovated stadium and facilities, uniforms and student experience, there is absolutely no reason it should be one of the worst programs in the Power 5.

Fisch has done a nice job so far of instilling some excitement into Arizona football. He is approaching this job with real enthusiasm and has connected with the community through actions like bringing back NFL star and former Wildcat Rob Gronkowski for the spring game. So far in the 2022 class, Arizona has five commitments from top-1,000 players and one from a top-500 player. In early May, the Wildcats’ class is already immeasurably better than last year’s group.

Arizona isn’t the mecca of football. You’re not expected to win the conference on a consistent basis. But Arizona should be able to pop onto the scene every now and then with a 10-win season and a trip to the Fiesta Bowl, as it did in 2014 under Rich Rodriguez.

This is a critical class for Fisch right out of the gate. His hope: To make sure Arizona doesn’t turn into a black hole of mediocrity in the Power 5.

5. Washington

Realistic expectation: Top-20 classes

Current ranking in the 2022 class: No. 56, No. 10 in Pac-12, .8983

The buzz: In last year’s recruiting cycle, Washington signed five-star quarterback Sam Huard from the Seattle area. When we look back on this class, maybe it will be deemed a big success. Finding an elite-level quarterback is always the hardest thing for any coach to do. And yes, the ranking was affected by the fact that Washington’s class was small, with only 15 members.

But when you think about Washington’s class and the potential it had, you’re left wanting more. The Seattle area was home to three top-10 national prospects, and the Huskies landed one. They lost out on five-star receiver Emeka Egbuka of Steilacoom Kennedy Catholic, who signed with Ohio State, and five-star defensive tackle J.T. Tuimoloau of Sammamish (Wash.) Eastside Catholic, who has yet to sign (but doesn’t seem as though he’s headed to Washington).

In addition, two other really good players from Washington left the state to sign with Pac-12 rivals — four-star linebacker Julien Simon of Tacoma Lincoln (USC) and four-star wide receiver Junior Alexander of Burien Kennedy Catholic (Arizona State). Jimmy Lake is known for his recruiting chops, so the 2021 class doesn’t quite cut it for a program that views itself as a Pac-12 contender.

Washington has a chance to make it right in 2022 in the recruitment of five-star offensive tackle Josh Cornerly Jr. of Seattle Rainier Beach, the No. 15 overall player and the No. 2 offensive tackle in the country. A top-20 class is a must for Lake in this cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

3-0 is wishful thinking with ULL and Arkansas right out of the gate. Sark can't afford the 'win and recruiting handles itself' mentality in his first year, and I doubt that'll ever be his staff's approach to recruiting tbh. The 'coaching appears competent' idea is almost always guided strictly by results on the field anyway, no one looks too closely at coaching issues when you're winning (see: Sugar Bowl against UGA)

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

The question is: How serious is this flirtation between Texas and Archie Manning? If its formal then you honestly don't take ewers, if not then you try to get Ewers to flip during the season.

Stop. There is no situation where you "don't take Ewers".

You take Ewers because he is the better player. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't think people like satya realize how bad Arkansas is at QB rn. Reading between the lines, they miss Feleipe Franks of all guys because both KJ Jefferson and Hornsby are abhorrent passers. Both can surely run, but baby Briles is visibly frustrated with what he has to work with.

10 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Stop. There is no situation where you "don't take Ewers".

You take Ewers because he is the better player. 

You take the best QB you can every year. I don't want to miss out on Andrew Luck again.

5 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I don't think people like satya realize how bad Arkansas is at QB rn. Reading between the lines, they miss Feleipe Franks of all guys because both KJ Jefferson and Hornsby are abhorrent passers. Both can surely run, but baby Briles is visibly frustrated with what he has to work with.

i hope they suck as bad you think..I bought tickets for Fayetnam last week

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

As I see it there’s no upside to taking ewers. We did the right thing by gently nudging him out. I mean all of our current qbs would transfer, and we won’t get arch next year. Imagine how bad the qb room will look then!

I’m assuming sarcasm or you’re missing chromosomes. 

45 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I thought Jefferson played the last couple of games last year and did pretty good?  Has he been named the starter?  I think the concern with Arky is they return 19-20 starters from a team that looked much better than anytime during the Morria era.

56 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I get worrying about Louisiana but the Arkansas fear is quit unfounded.

Everybody looks at the ULaLa win over ISU, but they played a lot of close games last year and we all know how ISU operates in game 1 of the season.  The ULaLa QB is OK, but the guy we faced from LaTech a few years ago was much better.  ULaLa is a better team that that LaTech team, but a big gap in QB play between the two.

47 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Lol im getting blasted and rightly so but I misspoke regarding Ewers instead of saying don't take I should have said don't push. All reports out there now seem to suggest that Texas isn't pushing for Ewers but by all means if he wants in the boat you absolutely take him. No question about that. 

They're pushing for Ewers. They're in wait and see mode so he can see exactly how the offense looks. He may be solid to fOSU, but he's not done looking at Texas. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Everybody looks at the ULaLa win over ISU, but they played a lot of close games last year and we all know how ISU operates in game 1 of the season.  The ULaLa QB is OK, but the guy we faced from LaTech a few years ago was much better.  ULaLa is a better team that that LaTech team, but a big gap in QB play between the two.

Yeah... this isn't the right thread for this discussion, but ULALA lost the stats in that game against ISU even with a 78 yard TD pass. Plus they had a 95 yard kick return TD AND a 85 yard punt return TD. Shit like that happens in college football, and it especially happens in the first game, not to mention COVID weirdness.  They basically had three plays the entire day and then hung on to win. I'm not saying that ULALA isn't a talented, experienced team but we should be fairly heavily favored in that game.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Are you fucking kidding me right now?

They're solid teams, and people have been badly discounting ULaLa on the football board, but 3-0 is a perfectly reasonable expectation. 

ULL is an upset waiting to happen, for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum. Arky also loses just Feleipe Franks on offense, virtually no one on defense, and brings in several transfers.

Both of them have a big advantage over us in both coaching continuity and returning production. Arky's defense especially matches up well against our offense, where most of our holes/question marks are. And of course, they get us at home. There's a lot that will have to go right for us to get to 3-0 heading into Big 12 play.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

ULL is an upset waiting to happen, for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum. Arky also loses just Feleipe Franks on offense, virtually no one on defense, and brings in several transfers.

Both of them have a big advantage over us in both coaching continuity and returning production. Arky's defense especially matches up well against our offense, where most of our holes/question marks are. And of course, they get us at home. There's a lot that will have to go right for us to get to 3-0 heading into Big 12 play.

Arkansas lost their second best WR to OU

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

They were 3-7 last year, give me a break. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Come on guys, take off your burnt orange sunglasses.  

Everyone knows you don’t have to actually be good at football or recruit talented football players to play at your school. As long as you return most of the production (excluding your most important player, best defensive player, and #2 WR) from said shitty team, then you will automatically be way better next year and be in line to be the favorite against a vastly more talented Texas squad.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's a Sun Belt team and a 3-7 team whose QB is playing his first big game.

They're probably the best possible iterations of those descriptions, but they're still extremely winnable games.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Arky's defense especially matches up well against our offense, where most of our holes/question marks are.

Also, you have no clue what you’re talking about. They were much worse against the run than the pass last year, and we’re already looking like a very strong running team. If we can establish the run against opponents, then we’re very likely to win those games. It’s team that can shut down our run game that would be bad matches for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

It's a Sun Belt team and a 3-7 team whose QB is playing his first big game.

They're probably the best possible iterations of those descriptions, but they're still extremely winnable games.

My issue with sarvanaash’s latest bout of whiny pussysquirting on this thread is simply the absurdity of “wishful thinking” being his starting point with Texas going 3-0 to open 2021. Could either Arkansas or Louisiana beat Texas? Sure. That’s been acknowledged on a lot of threads. Neither outcome is far more likely than a Texas win in both games. It’s just disingenuous nonsense. 

Arkansas will be a better team this year. Second year regime’s generally fair better. They also had injury issues. Is that going to happen at the early days of the season against a more talented Texas team? Seems like a tough row to hoe. 

Louisiana will be well-coached and they’ll have about half the talent. I worried about this game when I still thought Herman would be at Texas. I’ll view a loss to open the tenure at Texas for Sarkisian to be a complete and unacceptable failure. 

• Hook 'Em 9

Yeah it's not non-conference schedule we can sleepwalk through to go 3-0 (see aggie, but 4-0) but we should absolutely start conference play undefeated. 

ULL is getting way too much credit. 5 of their 10 wins were one possession games. They needed overtime to beat Georgia State, this isn't some group of 5 powerhouse. They run a pretty uncomplicated offense predicated on running the ball that won't be scary or catch us off guard to start the season. They are a solid experienced team that we have to take seriously but should handle comfortably. 

Arkansas is a little more worrisome to me because it's a tough environment, they have some talent, and Briles PTSD but like people said above that was a 3 win team. 

Anything noteworthy?

Little known school named Alabama making an impression.  Shocker. 
Spoiler

As you know by now, Texas CB target, Terrance Brooks (John Paul II) recently dropped a top five which included Alabama, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M, and Florida.

We reported recently that Brooks has an official visit set up to Texas for the big June 18th-20th weekend.

Based on what I’ve heard, it sounds like Brooks was very impressed with Alabama’s performance in the draft. They seem to do that every year but it caught Brooks’ attention.

Having said that, I’m told that Texas is still in a formidable position. So while I typically give a trending to a single school or trending away from a single school, I get the sense it’s better to say this one is trending Bama and Texas.

There has been a dip in the recruiting momentum as of late but Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon are some serious recruiters. They’ve already landed Bryan Allen and held on to Guilbeau and put themselves in a good spot for Bryce Anderson and are striking distance to Jacoby Mathews and now Terrance Brooks.

Edit: RGB’d

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting