Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Yeah it's not non-conference schedule we can sleepwalk through to go 3-0 (see aggie, but 4-0) but we should absolutely start conference play undefeated. 

ULL is getting way too much credit. 5 of their 10 wins were one possession games. They needed overtime to beat Georgia State, this isn't some group of 5 powerhouse. They run a pretty uncomplicated offense predicated on running the ball that won't be scary or catch us off guard to start the season. They are a solid experienced team that we have to take seriously but should handle comfortably. 

Arkansas is a little more worrisome to me because it's a tough environment, they have some talent, and Briles PTSD but like people said above that was a 3 win team. 

ULL is very solid. They were 19th in FEI last year, while we were 13th. SP+ Is behind a paywall now but we ended the year around 15th and ULL was in the 30s, I believe. Obviously the returning production and coaching consistency is a positive for them compared to us putting in new systems on both sides of the ball and breaking in a new QB. It’s not going to be a cakewalk, but we should win if we don’t come out of the gate super sloppy, and it’s at least a home game for us.

but being more worried of Arky seems off. They were 78th in FEI last year, and while they return a lot of guys and added some solid transfers, they do lose 3 of their best players, including their QB. The amount of progress they’d have to make to even get on ULL’s level by early next year would be extreme. ULL should be the tougher opponent even with the home/away factor.

Obviously CFB is largely unpredictable game to game, especially early in the year with a completely new coaching staff, but ULL seems to be the team we should be more worried about. 

Also, as far as matchups go, ULL was 88th in yards per rush given up and Arkansas was 92nd. We should be able to establish the run against both of them, and if we do, we’ll be very likely to win both. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

ULL is very solid. They were 19th in FEI last year, while we were 13th. SP+ Is behind a paywall now but we ended the year around 15th and ULL was in the 30s, I believe. Obviously the returning production and coaching consistency is a positive for them compared to us putting in new systems on both sides of the ball and breaking in a new QB. It’s not going to be a cakewalk, but we should win if we don’t come out of the gate super sloppy, and it’s at least a home game for us.

That's fair and it's a good data point. I'm mostly on the same page but I'll say last year's FEI seems pretty screwy in general. Maybe because of the weird COVID schedules and limited OOC games. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/fei/overall/2020

Group of 5 teams were way over represented last year compared to past seasons. Six out of the top 20 and three (plus BYU) in the top 10. Maybe last year was a real banner year for those conferences but seems suspicious it was the one year most of those schools barely played out of conference. Not sure if the S&P over represents them in the same way or not.

Funny that a&m is behind us and two other Big12 teams though. 

You take the best QB you can every year. I don't want to miss out on Andrew Luck again.
I think he quit football, but I guess he could still pull off a Ron McKelvey as a "transfer senior from Germany" or some shit.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Bevo14 said:
You take the best QB you can every year. I don't want to miss out on Andrew Luck again.

I think he quit football, but I guess he could still pull off a Ron McKelvey as a "transfer senior from Germany" or some shit.

Make It So Star Trek GIF

5 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Tell me, honestly what relevance do you believe Andrew Luck quitting professional football after several successful NFL seasons has with missing out on him as a collegiate recruit? Are you attempting to say a guy who passed for almost 10k yards and 80 TDs in 3 seasons, was a 2-time heisman trophy finalist, and was drafted literally #1 overall in the NFL draft probably wasn't worth having on a college football roster because he retired young from the NFL? 

Ricky Williams "quit" in the NFL too.  Was he worth having at Texas? Help all of us understand what in the shit is going on in your brain, please. Although I might regret the answers. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tell me, honestly what relevance do you believe Andrew Luck quitting professional football after several successful NFL seasons has with missing out on him as a collegiate recruit? Are you attempting to say a guy who passed for almost 10k yards and 80 TDs in 3 seasons, was a 2-time heisman trophy finalist, and was drafted literally #1 overall in the NFL draft probably wasn't worth having on a college football roster because he retired young from the NFL? 

Ricky Williams "quit" in the NFL too?  Was he worth having at Texas? Help all of us understand what in the shit is going on in your brain, please. Although I might regret the answers. 

baseball joke GIF

edit: not saying it was a great joke or anything mind you.

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I mean the phrase on surface is dumb but the reality is the talent is siphoning to the teams consistently in the CFB playoffs so technically winning and making the CFB playoff will allow recruiting to take care of itself.

It is dumb to the point you can win but not recruit and expect top 5 classes.

On the other hand ,  and I think this is what you are saying,  winning sure makes recruiting easier.  

Winning is always the best strategy.  

Edited by Laga4

36 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, I got the joke. Yeah, Andrew Luck could sneak back on the team. I'm trying  to understand the premise on which the joke was based. 

"I don't want to miss out on Andrew Luck again"

Rather than an Andrew Luck type, the jokester put it in literal terms of missing rd2 or obtaining Mr. Luck's services. Badum tss

Ricky Williams "quit" in the NFL too.  Was he worth having at Texas? Help all of us understand what in the shit is going on in your brain, please. Although I might regret the answers. 
See vipers post. Son, I am dissapoint

3 minutes ago, ousux said:
1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

See vipers post. Son, I am dissapoint

I'd say that it's rare to see @SydneyCarton whiffing as much as he has lately, but then I'd be ignoring the fact that I have seen him actually attempt to swing a baseball bat before. It was like watching a baby giraffe ice skate. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

ULL is an upset waiting to happen, for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseum. Arky also loses just Feleipe Franks on offense, virtually no one on defense, and brings in several transfers.

Both of them have a big advantage over us in both coaching continuity and returning production. Arky's defense especially matches up well against our offense, where most of our holes/question marks are. And of course, they get us at home. There's a lot that will have to go right for us to get to 3-0 heading into Big 12 play.

11.gif.bf023ea0caad10a977cd8fba690592c8.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

You don't turn down the #1 player in the nation because you think you've got a good shot at a guy the next year. 

This, why are people assuming that Manning is that much better than Ewers? I want Ewers in the class. I couldn't care less about what happens next year. I don't want to wait a year for the most talented players to be on the field.

Just now, Spindletop said:

This, why are people assuming that Manning is that much better than Ewers? I want Ewers in the class. I couldn't care less about what happens next year. I don't want to wait a year for the most talented players to be on the field.

No one is saying that. They're wondering if chasing Ewers might in any way deter Manning.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

No one is saying that. They're wondering if chasing Ewers might in any way deter Manning.

That's right.

But I don't think it's a big deal because the Mannings understand recruiting.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells

Spoiler

DT Deone Walker, Cass Technical (Detroit, Michigan) (2022):

Texas recently offered the 6-foot-6, 340-pound defensive tackle, who holds 28 offers including Tennessee, Arkansas, and Arizona State.

Of that group, a handful are standing out for the junior prospect, who wants to work on weight and speed this off-season.

“Really it’s Oregon, Michigan, and Kentucky,” said Walker. “I have some good relationships there.”

What about the Longhorns?

“(Texas) is a great program,” said Walker. “And I can fit in great with their system.”

Walker doesn’t have any visits scheduled yet, but is working with his coaches to set them up. Austin could get an appearance too, and then it gets real.

ATH Ish Harris, Pilot Point (2022):

The four-star college linebacker dropped his top five schools list over the weekend. Michigan, Miami, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Texas made the cut.

Harris still talks to Texas weekly, and it set to see Austin on June 25th-27th for his official.

OU and Texas A&M will get visits as well, and believe both are pacing this recruitment. But that hasn’t slowed UT down. Getting him on campus should help.

IT Visit: Southlake Carroll Dragons

I got to catch up with head coach Riley Dodge and a number of his prospects on Monday.

Landon Samson (WR) is a speedster, the stereotypical bleach-blonde SLC receiver. Ohio State reached out and want him to visit. I like Colorado here today.

RJ Maryland (TE/WR) is a legacy. The son of former Miami Hurricane and Dallas Cowboys DL Russell Maryland. He doesn’t have a lot of athleticism, but decent size and frame, and soft hands. I like Miami here today.

Owen Allen (RB) is a 6’0, 200-pound bowling ball of balance and quickness. It’s early but he’ll have offers in the next 6-12 months.

About Quinn Ewers (QB).. All I can say is be patient. He’s not a fan of the recruiting process and shut it down with most schools already. If something happens, it won’t be anytime soon. He’s visiting Columbus in June.

Edited by Machinator

36 minutes ago, futureman said:

hell yeah I’d take him. Sark could get him some catches. 

It would be the greatest recruiting hand, cardwise, Sark could draw.  "You don't want to go to A&M. Demas couldn't get a reception there. He came to Texas and Sark turned him into the next DeVponta Smith."

SIAP by Machinator: Texas offers a Mizzou transfer:

Recent Missouri signee, elite JUCO prospect, enters NCAA transfer portal

Michael Wayne Bratton | 4 days ago

One of Missouri’s top signees from the program’s 2021 recruiting class has already entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Mizzou signee Jadarrius Perkins, ranked as the No. 5 overall junior college prospect and No. 3 junior college cornerback, has entered the portal before ever setting foot on campus. This news was first reported by Matt Zenitz of AL.com.

Perkins was an early enrollee for Missouri this offseason and got work with the Tigers’ first-team defense during spring camp.

Perkins signed with Missouri over Mississippi State and Oregon. He also held scholarship offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida and Texas A&M, among others.

He is a native of Hattiesburg, Miss.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

cornerback, has entered the portal before ever setting foot on campus. This news was first reported by Matt Zenitz of AL.com.

Perkins was an early enrollee for Missouri this offseason and got work with the Tigers’ first-team defense during spring camp.

He went through spring camp without ever setting foot on campus.  They’re taking the covid serious up there. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Owen Allen (RB) is a 6’0, 200-pound bowling ball of balance and quickness. It’s early but he’ll have offers in the next 6-12 months.

I would be surprised if he is anywhere close to 6'0.  

STEVE WILTFONG:  Five-star OL Devon Campbell working to schedule LSU

Spoiler

Five-star OL Devon Campbell working to schedule LSU
STEVE WILTFONG

Arlington (Texas) Bowie five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell has previously scheduled officials to USC the weekend of June 4 and Oklahoma the weekend of June 25.

His uncle, also named Devon Campbell, says they’re trying to get one locked in for LSU the weekend of June 11.

“Trying to get that finalized this week,” the elder Campbell said.

“We know the program itself speaks for itself. It’s one of the top programs in the nation.”

The nation’s No. 1 offensive guard per the Top247 and 247Sports Composite will take his other two allotted officials during the fall.

“UT is definitely on the list for the fall,” Campbell’s uncle said of the Longhorns.

With that a decision is not expected until late in the process. Campbell is the country’s No. 8 prospect regardless of position.

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

STEVE WILTFONG:  Five-star OL Devon Campbell working to schedule LSU

Hide contents

Five-star OL Devon Campbell working to schedule LSU
STEVE WILTFONG

Arlington (Texas) Bowie five-star offensive lineman Devon Campbell has previously scheduled officials to USC the weekend of June 4 and Oklahoma the weekend of June 25.

His uncle, also named Devon Campbell, says they’re trying to get one locked in for LSU the weekend of June 11.

“Trying to get that finalized this week,” the elder Campbell said.

“We know the program itself speaks for itself. It’s one of the top programs in the nation.”

The nation’s No. 1 offensive guard per the Top247 and 247Sports Composite will take his other two allotted officials during the fall.

“UT is definitely on the list for the fall,” Campbell’s uncle said of the Longhorns.

With that a decision is not expected until late in the process. Campbell is the country’s No. 8 prospect regardless of position.

There’s always an uncle...with the exact same name as the recruit.  

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting