Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I'm curious to see who'll be the primary competition for Neto. Campbell and Banks are studs, but adding Neto to those two could give us three DUDEs in one class, which would help make up for the 2021 OL class. He seems like a Bama type, but he hasn't really been mentioned on their boards, although that could always change quickly 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is allegedly feeling really good about where they sit for in-state OL recruits. 

That's good news.

Its feels like once the big dogs start committing it's going to be fast and furious,  and I wouldn't be surprised if some end up at the same school.

3 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

That's good news.

Its feels like once the big dogs start committing it's going to be fast and furious,  and I wouldn't be surprised if some end up at the same school.

OU is in on, and arguably leads for, a bunch of guys who we aren't really recruiting. Also LSU already has three commits, and A&M already has two (and they took six OL in 2021). Bama is sitting there with zero commits, so who knows where they go with this class; sometimes it's difficult to tell who they'll prioritize, and you should never count them out on any recruitment they decide to go all in on 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

That's good news.

I feel like once one thing happens, another will follow and it will be a domino effect.

Banks and Campbell committing would make Dewberry lean towards us IMO. 

I think a  class of Banks, Campbell, Robertson(does he project to center? no racist), Dewberry, and Hutson would be a sick class if we can land all of those guys.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Fud said:

OU is in on, and arguably leads for, a bunch of guys who we aren't really recruiting. Also LSU already has three commits, and A&M already has two (and they took six OL in 2021). Bama is sitting there with zero commits, so who knows where they go with this class; sometimes it's difficult to tell who they'll prioritize, and you should never count them out on any recruitment they decide to go all in on 

What about Stanford? <ducks>

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I feel like once one thing happens, another will follow and it will be a domino effect.

I think a  class of Banks, Campbell, Robertson(does he project to center? no racist), Dewberry, and Hutson would be a sick class if we can land all of those guys.

Guess we'll see how their OVs go.  

Edited by Mdhorn

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is allegedly feeling really good about where they sit for in-state OL recruits. 

I've just been In Flood I Trust'n here and not even worried about it. I hope I'm not an idiot (well I'm probably still an idiot regardless).

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It seems like Dewberry is a long shot even if those guys commit to us. He’s not even using an OV on us. We’d probably have to be in a real errrrbody situation to get Dewberry in the class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

It seems like Dewberry is a long shot even if those guys commit to us. He’s not even using an OV on us. We’d probably have to be in a real errrrbody situation to get Dewberry in the class. 

I just feel like everything I've seen on him is that he'll ride the wave to whatever school.

(Super K) A Couple of 2022 Names to Watch for Visits

Spoiler

A couple of names to watch for 2022 players who haven’t been talked about a ton…

***Texas is still looking to take a second running back to go along with Jaydon Blue. They’ve got their eyes on TreVonte Citizen out of Louisiana who is expected to visit.

Jamarion Miller is a guy they’re still working on but the last time I visited him, he told me he had no plans on visiting Texas. That obviously can change but it didn’t seem particularly promising.

Tavorus Jones out of El Paso already has a visit scheduled to Texas for the big 18th-20th weekend.

But I’m told an in-state back who could be making it in for an official visit before Jones is Newton running back, De’Anthony Gatson.

I’m still familiarizing myself with Gatson and we will likely get out to see him soon so I don’t have a ton to tell you about him right now other than I’m told he’s another target for that second running back slot.

***A 2022 player I did get out to see earlier this year was TE/LB Arlis Boardingham (Van Nuys, CA). Big athlete with elite fluidity. Has a lot of upside on both sides of the ball.

Sark offered Arlis pretty early on. I checked in with Arlis recently on what visits he has planned. He said he didn’t have his visits worked out just yet but was going through that with his parents.

He did say that Texas and Arizona State were recruiting him the hardest.

I like the possibility of Texas landing Arlis because he has national championship level upside. It’s going to be tough without on-field results to land some of the ready-made 5-star types. But if Sark can mix in these kinds of guys who look like they could have 5-star type upside then you’re bringing in potential national championship-caliber players even if their offer sheet doesn’t reflect that.

Mike Roach: Four-star OL Kam Dewberry goes in-depth on recruiting process

HUMBLE, Texas — Kam Dewberry was a starter in his freshman year, so it feels like he’s been on the recruiting radar forever. The four-star prospect from Humble Atascocita is in his final spring as a high school athlete and taking in the moment each day. “Really just making my time day by day and enjoying every moment with my teammates,” Dewberry said. “Not every moment is guaranteed. These are my brothers and I grew up with them since day one.”

Dewberry is already a physically imposing prospect and he’s working on fine tuning the mental side and technique within his game. “Really, I’m improving my mental side,” he said. “I’m good mentally just knowing the game but I want to expand on some of those things. The physical side is there, and I’m working on small technique stuff like aiming point and how big of a step I’m taking. Those are the things that really matter.”

Dewberry has two visits scheduled for the summer in Texas A&M and Ohio State. The other three visits have yet to be scheduled. “I’ve only got two right now which is A&M and Ohio State,” he said. “The other three I’m setting up accordingly.”

Dewberry will also take a number of unofficial visits during the summer and look to finish off his official visit schedule during the season. “Most definitely,” he said. “I’m probably going to take an unofficial to Texas during the summer. I just don’t want to take officials when there is going to be too many people. Sometime during the fall I’ll be able to take an official visit to Texas. The rest of them like Alabama and Oklahoma are the same.”

Dewberry doesn’t want to be part of a big visit weekend when he goes to a school. He’s looking for a more personalized experience. “I want more of a personalized experience,” he said. “I want to get a feel for myself how it is and not from other people’s opinions and outside noise.”

Texas has been stepping it up since the new staff took over. Dewberry said that his relationship with Kyle Flood is strong. “They are on me really heavily,” he said. “I love coach Flood. Even when he recruited me at Alabama he didn’t recruit me as much but I still love his philosophy and the things he brings to the game. He connects with my family real well and my parents. He’s a really great guy and I can tell that he cares about his guys not just as players but people. That’s my main focus as far as recruiting that I can go somewhere where I’m not just a player to them.”

Dewberry maintained throughout his recruitment that feeling like a priority was important to him. Not only have the Longhorns satisfied that requirement, Dewberry said they are the school recruiting him the hardest at the moment. “Texas has done a really good job these past couple of months,” he said. “They are at the top of my priority list. When it comes to who is recruiting me the hardest, I’d probably say it’s Texas right now. They are doing a great job really pushing and doing the things that I said I needed.”

Dewberry will likely carry his decision out for a while which will give him a chance to see the schools he’s considering on the field this fall. More than anything, Dewberry wants to see growth.

“Really I want to see progression,” he said. “Texas didn’t really have the best season last year. I just want to see progression. Not that they are going to go undefeated, but I just want to see progression week to week and see that these guys are getting better. Last year’s staff I saw that they weren’t getting better. As long as I see these guys progressing and the players buying into what the coaches are asking them and being a part of that team.”

Steve Sarkisian is also involved in Dewberry’s recruitment. The two speak multiple times a week and Dewberry said that the conversations rarely focus on football. “I talk to coach Sark every time I talk to coach Flood,” he said. “He talks to me about how my people are doing and stuff like that. It’s not really about football. It’s more person-to-person conversations.”

There has been a lot of talk that Dewberry and fellow Humble resident Kelvin Banks could play together at the next level. Dewberry said it’s not a vital part of his decision, but he’d like to have that experience with a long-time friend.

“I’d love to play with Kelvin,” he said. “That wouldn’t factor into my decision but that might play a little part in it. That’s my guy. We’ve been playing together since we were young, so I’ve always wanted to play with him at the next level. We’ve both been through the recruiting process and we grew up together so it would be a great experience to finish that off.”

Dewberry is also hearing often from the current Texas commits. Maalik Murphy is leading the charge, and Dewberry said his approach is relentless. “Maalik has been pushing hard,” he said. “Maalik doesn’t stop. He texts me every day asking when I’m pulling the trigger. Those guys have been doing a really good job as far as recruiting for the school. I’ve been connecting with them really well as far as the things that could happen if I were to go there and changing the way Texas is perceived right now and getting them back to one of the top teams as they were back in the day.”

At 6-foot-4, 313 pounds, Dewberry is ranked as the No. 9 offensive tackle in the nation and No. 21 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

A couple of names to watch for 2022 players who haven’t been talked about a ton…

***Texas is still looking to take a second running back to go along with Jaydon Blue. They’ve got their eyes on TreVonte Citizen out of Louisiana who is expected to visit.

Jamarion Miller is a guy they’re still working on but the last time I visited him, he told me he had no plans on visiting Texas. That obviously can change but it didn’t seem particularly promising.

Tavorus Jones out of El Paso already has a visit scheduled to Texas for the big 18th-20th weekend.

But I’m told an in-state back who could be making it in for an official visit before Jones is Newton running back, De’Anthony Gatson.

I’m still familiarizing myself with Gatson and we will likely get out to see him soon so I don’t have a ton to tell you about him right now other than I’m told he’s another target for that second running back slot.

***A 2022 player I did get out to see earlier this year was TE/LB Arlis Boardingham (Van Nuys, CA). Big athlete with elite fluidity. Has a lot of upside on both sides of the ball.

Sark offered Arlis pretty early on. I checked in with Arlis recently on what visits he has planned. He said he didn’t have his visits worked out just yet but was going through that with his parents.

I like the possibility of Texas landing Arlis because he has national championship level upside. It’s going to be tough without on-field results to land some of the ready-made 5-star types. But if Sark can mix in these kinds of guys who look like they could have 5-star type upside then you’re bringing in potential national championship-caliber players even if their offer sheet doesn’t reflect that.

Early momentum with a talented Newton kid? I've seen this show before.

18 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Are we talking armband only, or like shirt, shorts, and hoodie?

Let's just say from a person I know that goes to a lot of these and see him probably at least once a month - he always has something on and it's not the same item. Hat one week, gloves the next, shirt the next time.  Never once seem him in gear from any other school. 

This person (not an Aggy/Texas/OU fan mind you) is also convinced that Banks is a much better prospect.  

4 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Let's just say from a person I know that goes to a lot of these and see him probably at least once a month - he always has something on and it's not the same item. Hat one week, gloves the next, shirt the next time.  Never once seem him in gear from any other school. 

This person (not an Aggy/Texas/OU fan mind you) is also convinced that Banks is a much better prospect.  

Kenyon Green's given him half his wardrobe. And I'm sure he gets slipped a few extra items for "friends".

Dewberry to aggy is one of the worst kept secrets.  Better believe they dropped a bag for him just like they did with Kenyon Green.  The fact that we aren't getting an official visit should be a very good indicator.  I hope this new staff doesn't repeat the mistake the last staff did with chasing prospects that have no intentions of coming here.  Give me Banks, Campbell, Robertson and Hutson and we'll all be happy.

Edited by victory88

11 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Dewberry to aggy is one of the worst kept secrets.  Better believe they dropped a bag for him just like they did with Kenyon Green.  The fact that we aren't getting an official visit should be a very good indicator.  I hope this new staff doesn't repeat the mistake the last staff did with chasing prospects that have no intentions of coming here.  Give me Banks, Campbell, Robertson and Hutson and we'll all be happy.

Don't write off Neto. Texas might wind up having as good a shot as anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

FYI, from the article above 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Dewberry will also take a number of unofficial visits during the summer and look to finish off his official visit schedule during the season. “Most definitely,” he said. “I’m probably going to take an unofficial to Texas during the summer. I just don’t want to take officials when there is going to be too many people. Sometime during the fall I’ll be able to take an official visit to Texas. The rest of them like Alabama and Oklahoma are the same.”

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, victory88 said:

You would think just pointing out they'd have very little pass pro tape to show the league would affect oline just as much as WR looking at aggy. 

47 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Massive difference zoom calling Herb Hand and and Flood. 

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Everyone but Rivals can figure that one out. 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:37 AM, Machinator said:

— The recruitment of Harold Perkins sounds like it’s starting to get a little bit crazy. While it looked like this could come down to an in-state battle, there are starting to be some twists and turns. LSU is starting to make a little more noise and Perkins is growing closer with fellow five-star Omari Abor. Texas will continue to stay on him, but there are a lot of dynamics at play here. This recruitment looks like it will go all the way to the end of the cycle, so there’s still plenty of time. Intel seems to change by the week with Perkins, but it sounds like several out of state programs are starting to make a move. Nick Harris has a good feel for this recruitment and will have Horns247 on top of it.

This is the most 995er paragraph ever written.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

This is the most 995er paragraph ever written.

Also, it's just fundamentally incorrect. That dude has always been an "ink is dry" recruitment with a high probability of going OOS. If I didn't trust from people that know him that Roach is a decent man, I'd assume he was purposely being deceitful. Instead, I guess I have to assume that he really is legitimately as honestly clueless as he comes across on a daily basis.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

Hide contents

FWIW, Wells said Gatson hasn’t heard from Texas in over a month. 

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

Could we possibly find a way to not have 3 different shades of burnt orange in official release stuff? Ocd I know, and most people dgaf yadda yadda..

They gradated all the burnt orange so I'm not sure if it is a different. The jerseys do look like a different PMS though and the main color doesn't look like the official color.

(Justin Wells) Just In Time Evening News: Thompson, Boardingham, Haulcy, Dixon

Spoiler

One of UT's top targets for 2022 will be in Austin soon, a recent offer sets OV, and a couple of new names on the Texas radar. Enjoy the evening news.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (2022)

When Steve Sarkisian says All Gas No Brakes, I think one person he's got in mind is Brenen Thompson.

The 5-foot-10, 165-pound four-star athlete with a verified 10.38 (100) and 21.51 (200) is headed to Austin on Wednesday for the state track meet.

"(Running) in the 100 meters, 200 meters, and 4x100," said Thompson, who might be clairvoyant. He told IT in January his goal was to win state in the 100 and 200, and now he's closer than ever.

With 36 offers including Alabama, Clemson, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State, the Longhorns continue to look solid heading into the end of the NCAA dead period on June 1st. He's set to see Oklahoma State on June 9th-11th, and might hold on to the remainder of his officials until the season begins.

Thompson says Texas doesn't talk to much about football. Instead, just building relationships with the staff.

He is looking at an unofficial trip to Texas in June, and it still slated to see the campus for a student visit later this week. He's a priority for the staff, and the more he gets to the ATX, the better we'll feel in this sweepstakes.

WR Arlis Boardingham, Birmingham (Van Nuys, CA) (2022)

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound athlete has set his official visit to Texas. He'll arrive in Austin on June 24th-26th.

The 247 four-star holds 13 offers including Notre Dame, Utah, Arizona State, and Colorado. The long-limbed receiver looks to be an offensive threat that could fit in UT's system.

DB/N Adari Haulcy, Fort Bend Marshall (2022)

Texas reached out to the versatile defensive back recently, who is now on the radar of the Longhorns staff. According to the coaching staff at FB Marshall, UT called and said they were going to begin the relationship building process with the 5-foot-11, 195-pounder, who holds seven offers, including Kansas, New Mexico, and Louisiana.

Haulcy has been a favorite of the Marshall coaching staff since his terrific season at corner in 2020 - 20 tackles, four pass break-ups, seven interceptions including one pick-six.

He will transition to nickel as a senior, which is where Marshall puts its best defender. Texas told Marshall coaches that nickel is a spot they are looking for in the 2022 class.

DE Torami Dixon, West Rusk (2022):

Another prospect the Texas staff reached out to recently is the 6-foot-4, 230-pound dual-sport athlete out of New London. Dixon excels on the football field and basketball court, where he was named Defensive MVP and first team All-District this year, respectively. He's got the size and versatility to play on both sides of the ball, but UT sees him on the defensive side, they told the West Rusk staff.

He tallied 101 tackles, 22 tackles for loss, six sacks, four forced fumbles, and two fumble recoveries for the regional quarterfinalist Raiders in 2020. He's got tremendous feet and natural ability to bend the edge and get to the quarterback. He averaged almost 20 points and 11 rebounds per game on the hardwood.

Dixon holds four offers including UTSA, Nevada, Army, and Houston Baptist, and is hearing from Purdue, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech. Dixon wants to schedule a trip to Austin this summer, and I expect him to take his official visits during the fall season.

Mike at night

Spoiler

— I stopped by Southlake Carroll today as part of my spring visits. Riley Dodge has always been good to me and the Dragons always have talent, so it's a regular stop for me. While there I did some checking around on where things stand with Quinn Ewers and Texas. As of right now, it seems like there's nothing to see there. I asked around and talked to a few different sources who said that Ewers pretty much cut off communication with other programs outside of Ohio State. As I've said in the past few weeks, I don't think there's much to see here.

— I do think Texas should look at Carroll wide receiver Landon Samson and WR/TE RJ Maryland. Samson is the main deep threat for Carroll, but he has so much more to his game. At around 6-feet, Samson has some athletic juice and great ball-winning ability. He's also a great weapon on quick screen passes. Samson just has a great overall feel for the position. Maryland could fit among the project tight ends in the state the Longhorns have been looking at. He's probably the most dynamic of that group and has the frame to add on additional weight.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Other schools are catching up to what we did last year.

Whatever will we do against an Alabama education and the powerful resources of America's 47th or 48th wealthiest state depending on metric?

They're keeping up on appearances, but this isn't how they win.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike at night

Hide contents

— I stopped by Southlake Carroll today as part of my spring visits. Riley Dodge has always been good to me and the Dragons always have talent, so it's a regular stop for me. While there I did some checking around on where things stand with Quinn Ewers and Texas. As of right now, it seems like there's nothing to see there. I asked around and talked to a few different sources who said that Ewers pretty much cut off communication with other programs outside of Ohio State. As I've said in the past few weeks, I don't think there's much to see here.

— I do think Texas should look at Carroll wide receiver Landon Samson and WR/TE RJ Maryland. Samson is the main deep threat for Carroll, but he has so much more to his game. At around 6-feet, Samson has some athletic juice and great ball-winning ability. He's also a great weapon on quick screen passes. Samson just has a great overall feel for the position. Maryland could fit among the project tight ends in the state the Longhorns have been looking at. He's probably the most dynamic of that group and has the frame to add on additional weight.

Roach is out of the loop on a big time recruit and thinks two nice boys from a wealthy DFW program are underrated gems that Texas should look at? What a crazy and unprecedented update.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting