Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

51 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This is a weird recruitment.  Almost commits, then commits, then de-commits and is still very pro Texas.  Dad have a hand in his decisions?

Given the timing of this tweet, it may have been in response to the recent tragedy.

• Hook 'Em 8

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

10.38 is what Tyler Owens ran in the 6A State final and he finished second only to Matthew Boling. That is flying at 3A, gotta be a state record at that level.

Broke Toya Jones’ record of 10.44 set in 1994.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Broke Toya Jones’ record of 10.44 set in 1994.

Tough luck for Brenen Thompson then, would’ve won in literally any other year before this one.

Wilson is apparently only a sophomore, that is super impressive.

Nick at Nite: New 2022 Crystal Ball, intel from state track meet

Spoiler

When it comes to recruiting in the class of 2022, the new Texas staff has yet to emerge as a favorite for a tight end prospect, but it looks like that is changing ahead of official visit season in the summer.

Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham four-star athlete Arlis Boardingham was offered by Texas back in February, and Steve Sarkisian has used his west coast ties once again to emerge as a favorite in his recruitment. Boardingham just locked in an official visit with Texas this past week for June 24-26 as he will visit Austin one week after visiting Arizona State. The Sun Devils remain as the only competition in Boardingham's recruitment, but I feel confident enough in the Longhorns' chances at this point to enter a Crystal Ball in favor of Texas with a confidence score of 6. Boardingham says he does not have a decision date in mind, but I would expect a commitment following his two official visits.

Boardingham is a wide receiver/tight end flex type player that could be able to provide some versatility to the Texas offense. 247Sports' Greg Biggins had this to say about Boardingham's ability in a recent report:

"For his size, Boardingham runs well and has made positive strides as a route runner and being more of a natural pass catcher. You love the positional versatility and although a lot of schools like him as a receiver right now, we think he’ll eventually grow in to a tight end and be an absolute matchup nightmare."

-------------

Today was the first of three days at the UIL state track meet in Austin at Mike A. Myers Stadium as 3A and 4A competed for state championships. Among the competitors were Spearman four-star wide receiver Brenen Thompson, Lexington four-star athlete Jarred Kerr and 2023 Texas commit five-star running back Rueben Owens II from El Campo.

We'll start with Kerr who won the 3A state championship in the long jump this morning. While he remains a highly-recruited prospect, Texas has not shown a ton of interest at this point as they have pivoted to other safety targets this spring. I see this race coming down to Texas A&M and Baylor.

Rueben Owens II was active today as he competed in the 4x200 relay and the long jump competition where he took home third place in 4A. Following up on Mike's report last week, Owens will be taking an unofficial visit to Alabama in June as the Crimson Tide have made him one of their biggest priorities in 2023. He will start his visit tour with a visit to Texas A&M on June 4-6 and a midweek trip to Tuscaloosa on June 8 before going to Austin for the Texas junior weekend on June 11-13. As of now, I don't see Owens making a move. Will he take his visits and see what he is interested in? Absolutely, but him and his family have embraced the role of being a Texas commit as he has continuously been helping recruit for the Longhorns since committing. He also wants to be at a spot where he knows he can touch the field early on, and he sees Texas as being that spot right now. Visits could shake things up, but my concern level is low at this point.

We will wrap up with Brenen Thompson who was also pretty active in the running events this evening as he took home the 3A state championship in the 200m with a blazing time of 21.27 seconds. He also placed second in the 100m with a time of 10.40, missing out on winning the state championship by just 0.02 seconds. Thompson said that he has had a great time while he's been in Austin this week and he plans to see more of the city tonight, but this time with a couple of medals around his neck. Texas remains in the thick of that race with Oklahoma State and Clemson serving as the biggest competitors at this point. This recruitment will really start to shake out after his visits in June.

--------------

I know hearts are heavy in Longhorn Nation today after the passing of Jake Ehlinger. He was a great person who embodied what the Texas culture stood for, much like his older brother. I got to see Jake play a couple of times when he was at Westlake and I came away impressed both times. He was a vocal leader on the field and he made plays that counted for that Westlake defense. I along with all of our staff members at Horns247 are wishing the best for the Ehlinger family in the coming weeks and months as they grieve his passing. Rest In Peace, Jake.

Mike at Night: New Crystal Ball forecast, update on priority OL target

Spoiler

— I was at Allen today and was able to see Texas offensive line target Neto Umeozulu. I tried to get a good idea of where Texas stands in that race while talking to Umeozulu and sources near him. Most outside sources acknowledged that Umeozulu is an incredibly tough read, and I'd echo that. Kyle Flood has been plugging away trying to break through with Neto and his family. If I had to read the vibe as of right now, I'd say that Texas isn't in a favorable position right now. Umeozulu said he doesn't have a visit scheduled to Texas at the moment and only has trips to USC and Alabama on the agenda. While he might save those three remaining visits for the fall, he plans to decide in the summer.

— I followed Nick in putting in a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Arlis Boardingham. Nick spoke with Boardingham and I talked to a few sources both in Austin and out on the west coast. Right now, the Longhorns are pushing like crazy and Arizona State seems to be the only real competition. While Arizona State seems to be developing into a formidable opponent, I was told that Texas would be a solid pick as of now. Boardingham fits the mold of a big receiver who could be developed into a tight end at the next level. There is some feeling that Texas could close the deal on the visit, but I remain mindful of the Sun Devils.

— I was incredibly saddened to hear of the passing of Jake Ehlinger today. I knew Sam Ehlinger on a somewhat friendly basis since his recruitment, and though I didn't know Jake, I did speak to their mother Jena Ehlinger a few times over the years. Jena was one of the sweetest parents I've met in this process and she lived for her children. After dealing with the loss of her husband years ago when Sam was younger and now having to carry this, I can't imagine the pain that family is enduring at the moment. I understand that life isn't always fair, but this seems especially unfair. I know I speak for the Horns247 staff when I say that our thoughts and condolences are with the Ehlinger family.

11 hours ago, Red Five said:

I wonder how bored I would have to be before I paid money to watch a high school track meet. 

Wasn't it Mike Campbell the said, and I paraphrase,  the only thing more boring than track is field. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

the 5a/6a finals is dope.

Jose Garcia, from my alma mater, is looking to make noise in the 100, 200, and long jump in 6A. He ran a 10.17 in the 100m final at regionals. Unheard of for, uh, my people. Our 4x100 should do well there too, they ran a sub 42. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Take it from experience: A swim meet is 10X more boring than a track meet.

Track meets are so disorganized and all over the place. At least a swim meet has structure. They're both snoozefests without personal involvement in the outcome, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Track meets are so disorganized and all over the place. At least a swim meet has structure. They're both snoozefests without personal involvement in the outcome, though. 

Honestly, I actually enjoy watching NCAA swimming and diving. It's relaxing. When I was in a car accident the only channel I would watch was LHN and S&D were the only thing on and my wife and I got invested. No shame from me. 

54 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Wasn't it Mike Campbell the said, and I paraphrase,  the only thing more boring than track is field. 

The state meet this year had no heats, IIUC.  So that makes it more watchable, because the 400 heats in a HS meet would last a fucking hour.  

My daughter ran distance, so she'd run the first race of the day, and then the next-to-last, so we'd have 5+ hours between races.  It was truly hell. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They only do 300m in high school but yeah 400m hurdles in college is insane event. 

Yep, I ran those in high school. I had a very aggyesque career in that I won district one time on a total fluke and never placed higher than 3rd any other time (no tshirt was made). If i would have had to run another 100 meters you would have had to carry me off on a stretcher. 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

800m is probably the toughest event

I ever read an article about 10 years ago that asked coaches what events were hardest. 800m and 400mH were pretty much tied for first, followed by 400m. That’s all I got.

...or maybe high jump was the hardest.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

33 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

I think the Surly games should have a much viewer friendly schedule. 100m. Pause for emergency crews. Then beer.

Most of the guys on this site can’t run a 100 fucking meters, unless you put the beer on a stick and make them chase it, much like a greyhound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Daichee Bell said:

I think the Surly games should have a much viewer friendly schedule. 100m. Pause for emergency crews. Then beer.

58 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

See, my vision for the Surly Olympic Games-Kickboxing-Arm Wrestling-Farmer’s Market-and-Sisco+Chingy Concert on September 4th is much more grand. I’m currently in Las Vegas, training for it as I type. By that, I mean I’ve been drinking, gambling and fucking non-stop for the last 24 hours and have yet to pass out or fall into cardiac arrest. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

See, my vision for the Surly Olympic Games-Kickboxing-Arm Wrestling-Farmer’s Market-and-Cisco+Chingy Concert is much more grand. I’m currently in Las Vegas, training for it as I type. By that, I mean I’ve been drinking, gambling and fucking non-stop for the last 24 hours and have yet to pass out or fall into cardiac arrest. 

Oh Hell Yeah GIFs | Tenor

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting