Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

IT

Spoiler

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX) - 2022:

Texas continues working to get the 6-foot-4, 300-pounder on campus. The four-star with arm length for tackle and ability to be a devastating run blocker is scheduled to be at Texas A&M June 18th-20th.

The Longhorn staff is working hard to try and get Umeozulu and family on campus the last weekend in June. Alabama has also been mentioned as a potential spot for that weekend as well.

DB Xavion Brice, Seguin (Arlington, TX) - 2022:

It didn’t take long for 2022 athlete to reopen his recruitment following offers from Oklahoma and Texas last week.

The 6-foot-1, 178-pound corner/receiver was offered as a cornerback by both the Sooners and Longhorns, and will be back on the road this weekend with a trip planned to Baylor. There is also an unofficial visit tentatively scheduled to Oklahoma on June 26th, and possibly SMU as well.

Brice, whose family is originally from Monroe, LA, was “blown away” by the experience at Texas on Saturday that ended with an offer from the Horns staff.

“I really liked everything about Texas and the visit," said Brice. "There were good vibes at Texas."

The offer from the Longhorns came via head coach Steve Sarkisian.

“Coach (Steve) Sarkisian said he liked my game and the way I play," Brice said. "He offered me, and told me they want me to be a Longhorn.”

As far as future official visits, Brice is unsure of when he will schedule Oklahoma and Texas, but the most likely scenario is early in the season.

Edited by Machinator

Wells on Gatson

Spoiler

Of note: Newton's DeAnthony Gatson posted that he'll be announcing his commitment on June 22nd. A source close to the recruitment of the 2022 running back tells IT that USC feels they're in a good spot for the three-star's services, which also tells me that Texas has higher priorities at tailback. Namely, El Paso Burges' Tavrous Jones, Klein Cain's Jaydon Blue, and Tyler Legacy's Jamarion Miller.

12 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Sounds like Neto isn’t interested, at what point do we move on to someone else that is actually interested in UT?

Seems as if we have irons in lots of fires. Don't think we're in 2021 mode with the staff convincing themselves we're shooting the moon and ignoring any contingency plans

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Sounds like Neto isn’t interested, at what point do we move on to someone else that is actually interested in UT?

Keep shooting your shot until he signs, maybe he'll eventually reciprocate maybe he won't

Just don't Herb Hand it and fail to pursue other prospects along the way

So, I’m brainstorming around this and think this is the exact play for me to get involved with personally. 
Here’s my question for you and the board:
how little money would it take to make this seem like a win for the non star players if you are talking about a couple hours of light work?  They gonna be interested in a grand?  10 grand?  50 grand?  
When they're at school they virtually have no expenses beyond occasionally eating at a restaurant and buying clothes, some might be paying for their own cars. For most players it wont take as much as we might think..

Fair enough. But do we have your permission to be annoyed that someone who is allegedly interested in coming here is prominently displaying horns down? Cuz that’s something that really pisses me off.
The gooners truly treat that as their official hand sign these days, he was probably asked to do it for the pic. I blame the fourth rate diploma mill that only exists to support the football program, not impressionable high school recruits.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

What the fuck is this reasonable shit. I want Surly to sponsor many players as possible and make them post here non stop all day while fat middle aged men with anger issues tell them that they suck and post unfounded rumors about their families and character. 

Look, Laramie is going to get his money, don't you worry.... His friend Tunmise will be jealous as I doubt texags will be as savvy about nil

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Is the NIL really going to be driven by "brand value" or is it just going to be a more legal way for boosters to buy recruits? I'm being cynical but I'd imagine market value will only be a (possibly small) part of the story.
In other words, maybe someone's market value is highest at a Texas, Bama, USC, etc, but if some booster from Aggy is willing to promise $300k for an "endorsement" with no expectation of payback then that likely wins out over the potential for legit deals down the road at a blue chip.
If money is the ultimate goal and not the best fit/education, sure.

What the fuck is this reasonable shit. I want Surly to sponsor many players as possible and make them post here non stop all day while fat middle aged men with anger issues tell them that they suck and post unfounded rumors about their families and character. 

Motherfucker. I am not middle aged.
  • Haha 1

I think the best thing would be for all athletes would be to run all their NIL revenue streams through the AD.

This would insure that they

1. Fully monetize their brand
  2. Would not get ripped off by unscrupulous actors 
  3. Stay right with the IRS, Schedule C is a beautiful thing.

The NIL department could be staffed by volunteers from the Business and Law schools.

41 minutes ago, Soliver465 said:

Stay right with the IRS, Schedule C is a beautiful thing.

I hadn't thought about it but an anonymous tip to the IRS could become the new way to turn in your rival.  Somehow I don't think they'll be as toothless as the NCAA.

13 minutes ago, WBT said:

I hadn't thought about it but an anonymous tip to the IRS could become the new way to turn in your rival.  Somehow I don't think they'll be as toothless as the NCAA.

A half assed IRS Forensic Accountant could dismantle the Clemson church in a weekend. But do they want to and do they care?  

Mike at Night: Following up on some recent visitors

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

— I talked to some sources regarding Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka. I think the Longhorns went a long with him on his official visit, but I’m not sure it was enough to overcome the Notre Dame lead with the Irish having a visit in hand. In speaking to sources this week, it sounds like the odds are still on the Irish to reel him in at the end of the day. I’ve not been told that a final decision has been made but I’m comfortable leaving my Crystal Ball on the Irish as of now.

— I spoke to some sources near three-star Tenaha linebacker Jeremy Patton following his official visit to Michigan. I still think Texas sits in the lead, though I was told the visit went well. In the end, there are some questions about the coaching stability at Michigan much like Tom Herman had to deal with in his final year. I thought Patton might make a summer announcement, and he still might, but all indications now are that he will take other trips with Arkansas and Oklahoma State on the docket. Perhaps he moves his timeline, but homecoming in October looks like the right date for now.

— In talking with sources near Evanston (IL.) Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks this week, I was told the Texas visit was big. North Carolina was seen as the biggest opponent going into the trip, and Texas fans should be familiar with how dangerous Mack Brown is on a visit. Notre Dame will get a trip this week, but I’m not sure the Irish are a major factor for him right now. Jim Harbaugh had a call with him last night as Michigan is pushing to get his unofficial mid-week visit converted to an official visit. As of now, I think Texas still holds a lead but they will have to wait until the end of June to see where things stand.

— I spoke to a source near new offer Xavion Brice today. Brice was pretty quiet when it came down to interviews, but I was told Texas made a huge impression with the visit and offer. Brice and his family are already planning a return trip to Austin for an official visit in the fall. His parents didn’t get to come along on the trip as they were working, but they want to see Austin for themselves at another time. Suffice to say, Texas put itself in a strong place for him.  Getting Brice would also help tremendously with landing 2023 Arlington Seguin DB Jamel Johnson who is very close with him.

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike Roach

— I talked to some sources regarding Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka. I think the Longhorns went a long with him on his official visit, but I’m not sure it was enough to overcome the Notre Dame lead with the Irish having a visit in hand. In speaking to sources this week, it sounds like the odds are still on the Irish to reel him in at the end of the day. I’ve not been told that a final decision has been made but I’m comfortable leaving my Crystal Ball on the Irish as of now.

— I spoke to some sources near three-star Tenaha linebacker Jeremy Patton following his official visit to Michigan. I still think Texas sits in the lead, though I was told the visit went well. In the end, there are some questions about the coaching stability at Michigan much like Tom Herman had to deal with in his final year. I thought Patton might make a summer announcement, and he still might, but all indications now are that he will take other trips with Arkansas and Oklahoma State on the docket. Perhaps he moves his timeline, but homecoming in October looks like the right date for now.

— In talking with sources near Evanston (IL.) Township linebacker Sebastian Cheeks this week, I was told the Texas visit was big. North Carolina was seen as the biggest opponent going into the trip, and Texas fans should be familiar with how dangerous Mack Brown is on a visit. Notre Dame will get a trip this week, but I’m not sure the Irish are a major factor for him right now. Jim Harbaugh had a call with him last night as Michigan is pushing to get his unofficial mid-week visit converted to an official visit. As of now, I think Texas still holds a lead but they will have to wait until the end of June to see where things stand.

— I spoke to a source near new offer Xavion Brice today. Brice was pretty quiet when it came down to interviews, but I was told Texas made a huge impression with the visit and offer. Brice and his family are already planning a return trip to Austin for an official visit in the fall. His parents didn’t get to come along on the trip as they were working, but they want to see Austin for themselves at another time. Suffice to say, Texas put itself in a strong place for him.  Getting Brice would also help tremendously with landing 2023 Arlington Seguin DB Jamel Johnson who is very close with him.

“As of now, I can offer no insight and we’ll have to wait till the kid commits to see where things stand.” Fucking clown.

Also, every time I see his name in my mind the image is a fat as fuck Hamburgler. Like unintentional belly shirt and cut off midriff fat. Honestly the concept of Mike Roach as a morbidly obese man child wearing clothes he has well outgrown is such an apt metaphor it’s depressing. Good thing Ketchum is hiring what I am sure will be some real writing talent to cover UT sports. Fuck. FUCK. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

“As of now, I can offer no insight and we’ll have to wait till the kid commits to see where things stand.” Fucking clown.

Also, every time I see his name in my mind the image is a fat as fuck Hamburgler. Like unintentional belly shirt and cut off midriff fat. Honestly the concept of Mike Roach as a morbidly obese man child wearing clothes he has well outgrown is such an apt metaphor it’s depressing. Good thing Ketchum is hiring what I am sure will be some real writing talent to cover UT sports. Fuck. FUCK. 

I still read the Roach stuff posted here, but every time I do I feel like I know less than before. From this board, I get the feel that Cheeks is likely but is not one of the silents and from this board I get that Niuafe will sign with Notre Dame and Patton has given a silent to Texas and will commit in July. Then, Roach basically writes "who knows" regarding Cheeks, Patton, Niuafe and Brice.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I still read the Roach stuff posted here, but every time I do I feel like I know less than before. From this board, I get the feel that Cheeks is likely but is not one of the silents and from this board I get that Niuafe will sign with Notre Dame and Patton has given a silent to Texas and will commit in July. Then, Roach basically writes "who knows" regarding Cheeks, Patton, Niuafe and Brice.

The answer to that is literally everyone except Mike Roach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A half assed IRS Forensic Accountant could dismantle the Clemson church in a weekend. But do they want to and do they care?  

I have to believe that there is at least 1 IRS agent in their Columbia SC office that might be interested.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I have to believe that there is at least 1 IRS agent in their Columbia SC office that might be interested.

You’d be surprised. 

White collar criminal networks that move money illegally but by those movements pay a proportionally proper amount of taxes are low, low on the list. That’s how the college football payment has moved. If the FBI/IRS comes in people may get in trouble but not the players and coaches. NCAA won’t care.

*sorry, I should say “shouldn’t get in trouble.” You have to be pretty careless and reckless like U of Tenn. 

Edited by Doc Reeves

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Anderson needs to visit. Otherwise in the class, our big '22 weekend is this weekend and we literally just got a commit.

im not sure if the kicker commit does much for recruiting perception haha. I get what you're saying but Texas needs to start making some noise. Recruiting Is all about perceived momentum. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.c7c72deaf3048d40e468b47c6619b543.png

Harris, X, X, Anderson, Sexton??, Cheeks. Brooks to Alabama and Perkins to A&M are likely. Nahlin is probably more negative on Harris, and Sexton and Cheeks are question marks but Texas leans in his mind.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.595878d657d49b390904d934d7281205.png

Sounds right. Although Sexton and Robertson are not an either or. Sexton is a take regardless of other commits. Robertson is the one whose spot probably depends on how we do with other targets. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting